ADVERTISEMENT

Yanni / PT with his bro ???

Jan 25, 2017
SoCal
Hi All. Does anyone know why Yanni Karlaftis didn't get any PT yesterday? Yanni is not in any jeopardy of losing his redshirt year as far as I know and only played in one other game . I would have thought the staff would give him a chance to play with his brother even for a few series, as George most likely will be going Pro. This one really baffles me. I can't imagine he is still hurt from the high school injury. Brian / Tom - Any inputs on this?

Hi All. Does anyone know why Yanni Karlaftis didn't get any PT yesterday? Yanni is not in any jeopardy of losing his redshirt year as far as I know and only played in one other game . I would have thought the staff would give him a chance to play with his brother even for a few series, as George most likely will be going Pro. This one really baffles me. I can't imagine he is still hurt from the high school injury. Brian / Tom - Any inputs on this?
I think it’s fine.. Khali Saunders and obviously Jacob Wahlberg got in. OC Brothers rounds out your linebackers off the bench .. I didn’t think we’d have three good starters let alone a Group of three competent backups ..

I’m sure yanni will be heavily involved in the 15 bowl practices and If the game is looking decided early either way I’m sure you’ll see him get in.

then In the off-season you’d presume he will grow relative to what he is now more than any other linebacker

Reactions: pboiler18
I think this is a very good question. I was thinking the same thing. No shot of jeopardizing red shirt and play along side his bro before he goes to the NFL. Lastly, he was a much higher recruit than any of those LBs that played so you’d think he would be a starter next year. Now, if he’s still banged up I understand completely but I was waiting to see him yesterday as well.

I think this is a very good question. I was thinking the same thing. No shot of jeopardizing red shirt and play along side his bro before he goes to the NFL. Lastly, he was a much higher recruit than any of those LBs that played so you’d think he would be a starter next year. Now, if he’s still banged up I understand completely but I was waiting to see him yesterday as well.
Why would you think that? He’s not a middle linebacker body type .. so that’s out. The other spots next year are going to be Jaylan Alexander and Jalen Graham. I could certainly see him moving ahead of OC Brothers and Khali Saunders as first guys off the bench OR if he’d been here as long as Alexander or Graham I’d expect him to be starting. I expect Yanni to be more of a first guy off the bench type and move into a starting role if someone gets hurt.

also he played with George vs UConn did he not?

Why would you think that? He’s not a middle linebacker body type .. so that’s out. The other spots next year are going to be Jaylan Alexander and Jalen Graham. I could certainly see him moving ahead of OC Brothers and Khali Saunders as first guys off the bench OR if he’d been here as long as Alexander or Graham I’d expect him to be starting. I expect Yanni to be more of a first guy off the bench type and move into a starting role if someone gets hurt.

do we have Alexander another year? thanx

I’m confused, first of all, about your explanation about yesterday. If he’s not hurt, he should be getting game reps if it’s not going to hurt his RS. Period. End of story. Saunders, OC, whoever, should be at least sharing reps w him at best.
I’m also not sure what you mean when you say the other spots next year are going to graham and Alexander automatically. Yanni was a 4 star recruit w 13 great offers including OSU, ND, Michigan…if he’s not starting at Purdue he should transfer. Do you really think he expects to be 2nd string at Purdue next year??? Our bench has no other 4 star, 2nd year players. Never has.

Reactions: DAG10
I’m confused, first of all, about your explanation about yesterday. If he’s not hurt, he should be getting game reps if it’s not going to hurt his RS. Period. End of story. Saunders, OC, whoever, should be at least sharing reps w him at best.
I’m also not sure what you mean when you say the other spots next year are going to graham and Alexander automatically. Yanni was a 4 star recruit w 13 great offers including OSU, ND, Michigan…if he’s not starting at Purdue he should transfer. Do you really think he expects to be 2nd string at Purdue next year??? Our bench has no other 4 star, 2nd year players. Never has.
You know that he’s better right now than Saunders and brothers particularly coming off his injury?

uh.. Alexander and Graham will be in their fifth and fourth year respectively… Yanni his second. Alexander should get drafted easily with another good year. Graham has a chance to be drafted very high. Both will be in the mix for all big ten. Yanni would likely start the year as first off the bench for both spots.

you’re too ranking focused

Last edited:
You know that he’s better right now than Saunders and brothers particularly coming off his injury?

uh.. Alexander and Graham will be in their fifth and fourth year respectively… Yanni his second. Alexander should get drafted easily with another good year. Graham has a chance to be drafted very high. Both will be in the mix for all big ten. Yanni would likely start the year as first off the bench for both spots.

you’re top ranking focused
As if often the case with these threads, the train has gotten way off track. A few quick things tho: (1) you know who’s “top ranking focused?” Georgia. Alabama. Michigan. Ohio state. Notre Dame. Sense a theme there? It’s a universal truth that the more 4and5 star recruits you land, the better you are. (2) I’m not going to bash our players to make a point. If either of those guys make 1st or 2nd team All B10 I will be really really shocked but very happy for them. (3) Yanni starts next year. End of story.

Reactions: DAG10
As if often the case with these threads, the train has gotten way off track. A few quick things tho: (1) you know who’s “top ranking focused?” Georgia. Alabama. Michigan. Ohio state. Notre Dame. Sense a theme there? It’s a universal truth that the more 4and5 star recruits you land, the better you are. (2) I’m not going to bash our players to make a point. If either of those guys make 1st or 2nd team All B10 I will be really really shocked but very happy for them. (3) Yanni starts next year. End of story.
Typo.. I meant to ranking focused.

you managed to turn that into me saying “getting four stars isn’t good.” I wasn’t saying that. However, once you have the team you have, rankings are not all that matters. If they were, Aidan Oconnell would be sitting on the bench watching Michael alaimo.

why didn’t Yanni start this year? I mean, rankings are all that matters right? Or is experience equally important.

you’d be surprised if Jalen Graham makes all big ten? He’s the second best player on our defense you stooge

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Call me crazy but I am with BC here. Graham will probably make all Big Ten this year. He could be one of the best linebackers in the Big next year, and if not certainly 1st or 2nd team all Big Ten. Alexander played well this year as well and certainly not out of the question for all BTen honors.

On top of that, Walburg looked like a grown assed man yesterday and he has another off season to bulk up more. I do not think Yanni starts next year barring one of those guys leaving or getting hurt but I do expect him to play some.

Yanni came in highly touted so he will probably get on the field but its a bit premature imo to start thinking he will jump players that are 4th and 5th year guys that are playing well. If he does jump them then he must be superstar status similar to his brother.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Call me crazy but I am with BC here. Graham will probably make all Big Ten this year. He could be one of the best linebackers in the Big next year, and if not certainly 1st or 2nd team all Big Ten. Alexander played well this year as well and certainly not out of the question for all BTen honors.

On top of that, Walburg looked like a grown assed man yesterday and he has another off season to bulk up more. I do not think Yanni starts next year barring one of those guys leaving or getting hurt but I do expect him to play some.

Yanni came in highly touted so he will probably get on the field but its a bit premature imo to start thinking he will jump players that are 4th and 5th year guys that are playing well. If he does jump them then he must be superstar status similar to his brother.
Agreed

I know brohm and staff have meetings with players to discuss where they are at. I imagine, If Alexander stays, that Yanni will be told that he will play a lot at both spots but that it would send a terrible message to put him above a fifth year guy who has produced as well as Jaylan Alexander

Reactions: Beorik
Agreed

I know brohm and staff have meetings with players to discuss where they are at. I imagine, If Alexander stays, that Yanni will be told that he will play a lot at both spots but that it would send a terrible message to put him above a fifth year guy who has produced as well as Jaylan Alexander
Yeah I would expect to see Yanni and OC with quite a bit more pt next year.
It’s crazy to me that a position (LB) that looked to thin a couple years ago now looks like a big strength.

I was stunned at how big and athletic our backup linebackers looked when they got in the game in the fourth. The future looks bright at those positions imo.

Yeah I would expect to see Yanni and OC with quite a bit more pt next year.
It’s crazy to me that a position (LB) that looked to thin a couple years ago now looks like a big strength.

I was stunned at how big and athletic our backup linebackers looked when they got in the game in the fourth. The future looks bright at those positions imo.
I remember khali Saunders playing as a freshman in 2019, then it seems others rose above him.. it was nice to see him resurface last night. And wahlberg looked very good … nice to see him get a pick

Reactions: Beorik
I remember khali Saunders playing as a freshman in 2019, then it seems others rose above him.. it was nice to see him resurface last night. And wahlberg looked very good … nice to see him get a pick
And they both looked big. I believe they are 6’3” and 6’4” and both look to be 240ish +. Wahlberg looked like one of the big, long Wisconsin linebackers that gave us fits.

Keep this type of recruiting up and teams certainly will not be pushing us around.

And they both looked big. I believe they are 6’3” and 6’4” and both look to be 240ish +. Wahlberg looked like one of the big, long Wisconsin linebackers that gave us fits.

Keep this type of recruiting up and teams certainly will not be pushing us around.
Apparently 16 of 22 Wisconsin starters were 5th years or higher this year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT