ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Awaits Us

pubill

Redshirt Freshman
Jan 2, 2021
We look to be 5-1/2 pt favorites at present. Not playing at Penn State, but in Philly at legendary Palestra. Will be an extra charged fanbase and much more enthusiastic there, that at PSU's regular home court.

PSU is a different team to play against. A lot of times they have no one taller than 6'6" on the court. They have the ball in Pickett's hands 75% of the time. He either backs down his defender into the low box to either score or dish out to someone for 3's(usually), note he averages over 7 assists a game and scores 17 pts a game. Probably along with Edey , the 2 prime candidates for POY in BT Conference. At times , approx 18 mins/game they will have a 6'10" player in the game. They have 2 prime 3 pt shooters in transfer Funk, who shoots 7+ 3's a game and Dread , who has been at PSU for last 6 years. They are one of the most prolific 3 pt shooting teams in CBB. Lundy is a 6'6" athletic wing who we have went against in the last couple of years, and is more of a slasher, but shoots the 3 well also.

How will we defend Pickett who is 6'4" and strong, I assume Morton will be on him most of the game. He has to be strong and hold his postion and do his best to keep him from backing him down. I don't believe you can afford to double him as he is adept at kicking out to the good 3 pt shooters. When Njie is in the game Edey may be able to guard the basket and help Morton some on Pickett. When PSU goes small, I am not sure what Matt does with Edey on Defense????? On the other end, I don't see how PSU can guard Edey without Njie in the game. I assume Braden gets Wynter, Loyer has Funk, Gillis probably on Dread and MAYBE(??) Edey guards Lundy. But not sure how that works as Lundy, though a slasher , shoots 40% from 3 with 5 attempts a game. So will our advantage on offense with our height , be greater , that the risk of having Edey guarding a smallish 3 pt shooter. That is the question of the game?

We know PSU's coach(Micah, our former offensive coordinator) will know the majority of our offense better than our players do, and he will have a good defensive plan.

We should be able to dominate them on the boards, as that is one of their weaknesses, not surprisingly , due to their size.

I think Matt will gamble and pick one of their players to allow to shoot 3's, and hope we can pound them on the offensive end and the boards.

Anyone else have any thoughts as to our strategy and how it will play out? It just seems to me , to be another game down to the wire, with a shot or a stop at the end winning it.

We look to be 5-1/2 pt favorites at present. Not playing at Penn State, but in Philly at legendary Palestra. Will be an extra charged fanbase and much more enthusiastic there, that at PSU's regular home court.

PSU is a different team to play against. A lot of times they have no one taller than 6'6" on the court. They have the ball in Pickett's hands 75% of the time. He either backs down his defender into the low box to either score or dish out to someone for 3's(usually), note he averages over 7 assists a game and scores 17 pts a game. Probably along with Edey , the 2 prime candidates for POY in BT Conference. At times , approx 18 mins/game they will have a 6'10" player in the game. They have 2 prime 3 pt shooters in transfer Funk, who shoots 7+ 3's a game and Dread , who has been at PSU for last 6 years. They are one of the most prolific 3 pt shooting teams in CBB. Lundy is a 6'6" athletic wing who we have went against in the last couple of years, and is more of a slasher, but shoots the 3 well also.

How will we defend Pickett who is 6'4" and strong, I assume Morton will be on him most of the game. He has to be strong and hold his postion and do his best to keep him from backing him down. I don't believe you can afford to double him as he is adept at kicking out to the good 3 pt shooters. When Njie is in the game Edey may be able to guard the basket and help Morton some on Pickett. When PSU goes small, I am not sure what Matt does with Edey on Defense????? On the other end, I don't see how PSU can guard Edey without Njie in the game. I assume Braden gets Wynter, Loyer has Funk, Gillis probably on Dread and MAYBE(??) Edey guards Lundy. But not sure how that works as Lundy, though a slasher , shoots 40% from 3 with 5 attempts a game. So will our advantage on offense with our height , be greater , that the risk of having Edey guarding a smallish 3 pt shooter. That is the question of the game?

We know PSU's coach(Micah, our former offensive coordinator) will know the majority of our offense better than our players do, and he will have a good defensive plan.

We should be able to dominate them on the boards, as that is one of their weaknesses, not surprisingly , due to their size.

I think Matt will gamble and pick one of their players to allow to shoot 3's, and hope we can pound them on the offensive end and the boards.

Anyone else have any thoughts as to our strategy and how it will play out? It just seems to me , to be another game down to the wire, with a shot or a stop at the end winning it.

Nice analysis, I too was wondering about Edey on defense.

I’m really looking forward to watching this game. Should be another great challenge for our guard group. Of course, if our guys are making shots, PSU will have a big challenge too. Here’s to our guys finishing the game strong again and getting this road W. BoilerUp

Game should be dominated by our Bigs! Game where Edey should have around 24 pts.....assuming they will try to double team him and see if our outside shooters can knock down 3's,which we haven't been able to to do in 5h games, other than second half of OSU game! Defensively.......gonna half to really man up and force them to shoot with atleast a hand in their faces.......and let's try to not get out to a slow start again.....Please!!!!

I was the most confident about this game of the 3 out of the break.

I still think Purdue wins. Can PSU win? Of course, but I think this is a game where the environment might play into Purdue's favor. This Purdue team had 5 (5!) top 25 NET wins when I checked already yesterday. I think playing at Palestra plays in Purdue's favor and they come out ultra focused in a charged environment. They are more than ready for it. On the other hand PSU resume doesn't really show they are ready for the big stage yet. Everyone with a pulse has been beating Michigan and they couldn't.

It will be an interesting matchup, but if Purdue can limit TOs, dominate boards, and hit 35% from 3 they win by 10 or so.

Reactions: oldboiler52
It's Penn State on the road (kind of). I'd say there's about an 80% chance it goes to overtime.

Maybe I'm just not the familiar with the history of the venue, but wouldn't this be like Purdue playing a "home" game at Hinkle?

On the surface, it seems like a slap in the face to the students and fans living in or in the immediate vicinity of State College.

Can't generate enough interest on their own campus so they have to play on someone else's?

Maybe I'm just not the familiar with the history of the venue, but wouldn't this be like Purdue playing a "home" game at Hinkle?

On the surface, it seems like a slap in the face to the students and fans living in or in the immediate vicinity of State College.

Can't generate enough interest on their own campus so they have to play on someone else's?
The Palestra is a historic arena, much like Hinkle. I don't believe it's the "home" court for any of the Philly 5 teams. Penn State does this once a season effectively to promote their brand in Philly. It's 3+ hours from State College, so not quite like Indy for Purdue. I've done the drive for a football game in the Orton years. It's not fun.

As far as a slap in the face to students, how many students go to home games anyway? This game probably isn't on their season ticket because they're probably still on break. Supposedly this game is sold out.

Reactions: Schnelk and DrEss
Palestra holds 8500+ fans. Interesting and historic place to play. I was thinking it would be at Wells Fargo where the 76ers play.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
The Palestra is a historic arena, much like Hinkle. I don't believe it's the "home" court for any of the Philly 5 teams. Penn State does this once a season effectively to promote their brand in Philly. It's 3+ hours from State College, so not quite like Indy for Purdue. I've done the drive for a football game in the Orton years. It's not fun.

As far as a slap in the face to students, how many students go to home games anyway? This game probably isn't on their season ticket because they're probably still on break. Supposedly this game is sold out.
The Palestra is on the University of Pennsylvania campus and is Penn's home arena. I've been there once. It's not huge but is a cool vintage arena, a year or two older than Hinkle and Williams arena.

The Palestra is on the University of Pennsylvania campus and is Penn's home arena. I've been there once. It's not huge but is a cool vintage arena, a year or two older than Hinkle and Williams arena.
Thanks. That was the one I thought could be the home arena for.

Reactions: rgarlitz
TKR and Furst will need to have big games to counteract their small ball spread offense.

Maybe we finally grant @bonefish1 his wish and play some zone. 4 guards zone coverage with Zach stuffing the middle?!? Maybe a Christmas miracle. I mean today is the Epiphany so maybe Painter had one...

Really good write-up pubill, and many of the same questions that I have heading into today. PSU doesn't have anyone to stop Edey down low, so it will be all about trying to deny him the ball. If Edey is scoring too easily, we'll need to counter with guys like Njie, Henn, or Dorsey, and that isn't necessarily the preference (although Henn and Dorsey do both like to also play on the perimeter). At the other end, Shrewsberry does a really good job of getting Pickett on the block in favorable matchups, and he's so good at finding open guys when they do send a double at him.

It's an interesting PSU squad, and Shrewsberry is really playing to the strengths...very little size, so we barely contest on the offensive boards. A lot of inverting the offense and using Pickett to run things while posting up, with the other 4 guys on the floor on the perimeter all capable of making 3's. We don't turn it over and don't force turnovers. I fear the difference in the game will come at the FT line, as PSU will likely spend very little time there, while Purdue should get their share while utilizing the size mismatch.

On another note...PSU's bread and butter when it comes to recruiting is Philly, so we've been playing a game every few years at the Palestra (MSU in 2017 and Iowa in 2020) over winter break. It's an incredible venue, and the home court advantage that it's been offering is a much better atmosphere than the BJC on it's best day (and especially the half-empty BJC that we would have likely seen today).

The Palestra is the traditional home of the Big 5 games in Philadelphia. The Big 5 are Villanova, Temple, Penn, LaSalle and St. Joseph's. They were originally independents (except Penn - Ivy) before the different conferences (A10, Big East) got started. Big 5 games were traditionally played there. The Palestra is a classic venue with lots of history.

Reactions: Schnelk
Great venue, can be loud. Lots of PSU grads in Philly. Will they show up? PSU lots of Seniors.

Is Hummel doing color at Rutgers and the Palestra today?
Less than an hour's drive from A to B so easily possible. Actually, it is probably faster on NJ Transit or Amtrak from New Brunswick to Philadelphia. The Palestra is close to the 30th Street train station in Philadelphia; easy to get from one venue to the other.

If you are a cinema fan, 30th St Station is the main railroad station in Philadelphia and the site of the murder in the Harrison Ford film "Witness."

Reactions: DrEss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT