ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Johnson will be back..

Purdue fans tend to be Purdue grads, maybe that's where the inferiority complex comes from. whereas Indiana is the state school that the average citizen relates to if an alum or not. just seems like the hate is one-sided.
Why would the fact that Purdue fans tend to be Purdue fans lead to an inferiority complex? First of all, I do not believe your claimed complex exists. But further, why would someone feel inferior based on being the alumnus/alumna of an academically superior institution? After all, isn't going to a university supposed to be about academics?

I fail to see how your point makes any sense.

Reactions: z_one
Why would the fact that Purdue fans tend to be Purdue fans lead to an inferiority complex? First of all, I do not believe your claimed complex exists. But further, why would someone feel inferior based on being the alumnus/alumna of an academically superior institution? After all, isn't going to a university supposed to be about academics?

I fail to see how your point makes any sense.
it leads to an us against them mentality that is obviously not healthy. like your statement a superior institution, one's education is singular to that person.

• Haha
it leads to an us against them mentality that is obviously not healthy. like your statement a superior institution, one's education is singular to that person.
Perhaps so, but that does not mean that one feels inferior, which was your original point.

As for the individual in your post. You are correct that one's education is singular to that person. However, academic institutions graduate groups of people, not just one. As a result, one views the institution based on group performance, not that of a single individual. I would not judge the sexual predilections of IU grads based upon simply Jared's or their theological and cultural views based on those of Jim Jones.

An institution is judged superior to others based on the quality of instruction, the quality of those admitted, their post-graduate success, etc. These are objective measures. I had the good fortune to have been instructed by a Nobel Laureate faculty member while at Purdue. That is a claim no IU alum can make.

By the way, there is a difference between disdain for the preposterous and hate. That is something that you seem not to recognize.

Last edited:
An institution is judged superior to others based on the quality of instruction, the quality of those admitted, their post-graduate success, etc. These are objective measures. I had the good fortune to have been instructed by a Nobel Laureate faculty member while at Purdue. That is a claim no IU alum can make.

Nobel Laureate Walls

Over the course of Indiana University’s history, nine individuals with ties to the university have been awarded a Nobel Prize. On May 2, 2008, IU president Michael McRobbie dedicated Nobel Laureate Walls “in recognition of [their] outstanding achievement.” Located in Bryan Hall (IU Bloomington) and in University Hall (IUPUI), these walls showcase the nine winners’ portraits and their stories, as well as a few key artifacts tied to some of their research.

Nobel Laureate Walls

Over the course of Indiana University’s history, nine individuals with ties to the university have been awarded a Nobel Prize. On May 2, 2008, IU president Michael McRobbie dedicated Nobel Laureate Walls “in recognition of [their] outstanding achievement.” Located in Bryan Hall (IU Bloomington) and in University Hall (IUPUI), these walls showcase the nine winners’ portraits and their stories, as well as a few key artifacts tied to some of their research.
To the best of my knowledge, none of the folks that you cited are on the faculty at IU - which if you carefully read my post you would see. Without reviewing all of them, I know for a fact that Watson, whom I had actually met, was an IU grad, but not a faculty member.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the folks that you cited are on the faculty at IU - which if you carefully read my post you would see. Without reviewing all of them, I know for a fact that Watson, whom I had actually met, was an IU grad, but not a faculty member.

About Elinor Ostrom​

Professor Ostrom received a Ph.D. in political science from UCLA in 1965. She came to IU in 1965 as a Visiting Assistant Professor, became Assistant Professor in 1966, became Associate Professor in 1969, Professor in 1974, and Chair of the department from 1980-84. She was the Co-Director of the Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis from 1973-2009 and was the Senior Research Director of the Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis. She also held an appointment as Professor, part-time at the School of Public and Environmental Affairs. She was the Founding Director of the Center for the Study of Institutions, Population, and Environmental Change at Indiana University and the Center for the Study of Institutional Diversity at Arizona State University.

About J. Hans D. Jensen​

Throughout the 1950's, he taught at the University of Wisconsin, the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton the University of California at Berkeley, and Indiana University. While at Indiana University as a visiting professor, for one year Jensen collaborating with other members of the Physics Department, making further advancements in his research. Eventually, his critical discoveries about the structure of atoms led to his Nobel Prize in Physics in 1963.

About Hermann J. Muller​

Hermann accepted a full professorship in the Zoology department at Indiana University, where he devoted much of his time to work on radiation-induced mutations, studying how the radiation produces its biological effects. His leadership at IU in the study of the genetics of fruit flies (and understanding fruit flies in detail, understanding genetics of all animals - humans included) produced incredible results in the progression of the field of genetic analysis.

Perhaps so, but that does not mean that one feels inferior, which was your original point.

As for the individual in your post. You are correct that one's education is singular to that person. However, academic institutions graduate groups of people, not just one. As a result, one views the institution based on group performance, not that of a single individual. I would not judge the sexual predilections of IU grads based upon simply Jared's or their theological and cultural views based on those of Jim Jones.

By the way, there is a difference between disdain for the preposterous and hate. That is something that you seem not to recognize.
can one be proud and at the same time respectful, disdain really?

Muller was long before my time so I admit to not being aware. I should rephrase to state "..within the time of my academic history and knowledge."

As for Ostrom, she was apparently associated with the university but not teaching faculty at the time of her award. I am basing that simply on her age and the time of the award.

As for Jensen, he was a visiting professor, but when awarded he was not on staff. So again, he did not teach as a Laureate faculty member.

So far, you can only point to Muller as a member of teaching faculty. Plus, in order to have studied under Muller, you would be well into your eighties at minimum, so there are likely to be very few alive at this point.

can one be proud and at the same time respectful, disdain really?
it is disdain of the preposterous, not disdain of the institution. I respect IU as an institution, but if you are going to claim academic superiority over Purdue, then you are being preposterous. There are differences.

it is disdain of the preposterous, not disdain of the institution. I respect IU as an institution, but if you are going to claim academic superiority over Purdue, then you are being preposterous. There are differences.
I never claimed academic superiority. I guess what I said was inferiority complex. and that was referring to basketball and mainly the brand. IU is a national brand Purdue is local. the premises was what causes the IU hate amongst the Purdue faithful.

I never claimed academic superiority. I guess what I said was inferiority complex. and that was referring to basketball and mainly the brand. IU is a national brand Purdue is local. the premises was what causes the IU hate amongst the Purdue faithful.
What a know nothing tool.

LMFAO. No one gives a shit about IU basketball except IU fans. They haven't been relevant for 30 years. There is no "national brand"...

LMFAO. No one gives a shit about IU basketball except IU fans. They haven't been relevant for 30 years. There is no "national brand"...
ask yourself an honest question. If say CBS has a choice between an IU vs Mich St game or a Purdue vs Mich St game in mid Feb, who would they choose? IU 10x out of 10, why is that.

• Haha
ask yourself an honest question. If say CBS has a choice between an IU vs Mich St game or a Purdue vs Mich St game in mid Feb, who would they choose? IU 10x out of 10, why is that.
Because they like to see Izzo win, which is more likely against IU than against Purdue.

Reactions: clbndgm
Cuz they know all the hillbilly IU fans who can’t afford cable will get out their rabbit ears and watch “their team”?

I've noticed the lunatic fringes of both teams call the other side hill jacks, maybe they are both right.
Except one side actually has proof. Which one are you?

636607106567418998-romeo-crowd-by-Dakota-Crawford.jpg

If Purdue is ranked, and IU isn't, it'll be Purdue vs Mich St all day long. No one wants to watch shitty basketball...

Well, I would much rather watch a top 10-15 team matchup vs. a dumpster fire, "We are back" yearly program that fails to meet expectations.

If you can't see that Purdue is sustainable and IU keeps searching for the next RMK.....you're clearly blind.

Well, I would much rather watch a top 10-15 team matchup vs. a dumpster fire, "We are back" yearly program that fails to meet expectations.

If you can't see that Purdue is sustainable and IU keeps searching for the next RMK.....you're clearly blind.
Purdue has been the more successful program the last 15 years never disputed that. that's not where the discussion turned though. you have 2 ears and 1 mouth listening is 2x more important than talking.

Purdue has been the more successful program the last 15 years never disputed that. that's not where the discussion turned though. you have 2 ears and 1 mouth listening is 2x more important than talking.
"ask yourself an honest question. If say CBS has a choice between an IU vs Mich St game or a Purdue vs Mich St game in mid Feb, who would they choose? IU 10x out of 10, why is that."

Why can't people realize the response to a topic/discussion/question. The clear response to your question.....do....you...understand????

Now you are really going off the charts. In order for there to be an inferiority complex, there has to be an inferior and superior positioning. So on what basis is one to claim that IU is superior to Purdue in the last quarter century? During that time, IU got to the Final game - once and lost. So did SDSU.

In the past two decades, which is the extreme end of the consciousness of most fans, IU has been mostly irrelevant. Purdue has done more; not that Purdue is at the top of the mind to most, but nonetheless higher than IU. Purdue has the advantage of a better football legacy and recent performance. which helps it. How many primetime Saturday night home games has IU had on national TV in the fall?

Last night, I was watching the NY Yankees-Cleveland game. During the broadcast, it was noted that yesterday was the anniversary of the end of Lou Gehrig's playing streak. Given the unfortunate lack of general education in the USA, there are very few people who know who Gehrig was or what he did - and he set Hall of Fame records. So to suggest that the IU brand has real significance these days is silly.

I believe that you live in the IU/Indiana media bubble. I live elsewhere and come from elsewhere. As such, I get exposed to more. If you want to claim that in Indiana, IU gets more media props, I would agree. However, outside of that, there is no way that is true.

In sports, football dominates basketball in viewership and earning power. IU's football legacy is very, very poor. IU is one of the few schools where the BB coach historically makes more than the FB coach. Kansas is another. Purdue is good to very good but not great, especially recently. However, Purdue has better academic rep and the astronauts so that raises place in minds. RMK is gone and with him went the national presence of mind.

Last edited:
You are clearly speaking of yourself.

Sorry, that's false given that Purdue is likely to be ranked in the top ten and IU is likely to be unranked.

Now if you said that both teams were unranked or ranked around the same I agree with your statement, but we all know that's been very unlikely in recent years.

Now you are really going off the charts. In order for there to be an inferiority complex, there has to be an inferior and superior positioning. So on what basis is one to claim that IU is superior to Purdue in the last quarter century? During that time, IU got to the Final game - once and lost. So did SDSU.

In the past two decades, which is the extreme end of the consciousness of most fans, IU has been mostly irrelevant. Purdue has done more; not that Purdue is at the top of the mind to most, but nonetheless higher than IU. Purdue has the advantage of a better football legacy and recent performance. which helps it. How many primetime Saturday night home games has IU had on national TV in the fall?

Last night, I was watching the NY Yankees-Cleveland game. During the broadcast, it was noted that yesterday was the anniversary of the end of Lou Gehrig's playing streak. Given the unfortunate lack of general education in the USA, there are very few people who know who Gehrig was or what he did - and he set Hall of Fame records. So to suggest that the IU brand has real significance these days is silly.

I believe that you live in the IU/Indiana media bubble. I live elsewhere and come from elsewhere. As such, I get exposed to more. If you want to claim that in Indiana, IU gets more media props, I would agree. However, outside of that, there is no way that is true.

In sports, football dominates basketball in viewership and earning power. IU's football legacy is very, very poor. IU is one of the few schools where the BB coach historically makes more than the FB coach. Kansas is another. Purdue is good to very good but not great, especially recently. However, Purdue has better academic rep and the astronauts so that raises place in minds. RMK is gone and with him went the national presence of mind.
was a basketball discussion only, IU football is horrible, and I honestly don't see any light at the end of the tunnel with NIL and the LA schools coming to the conference. Most still consider Indiana a blueblood in hoops, have they lived up to that recently? No

Have you ever 1 time heard Purdue mentioned when bluebloods are being discussed? that's what leads to the inferiority complex and hatred. Inferiority or jealousy are feelings they are not based on data.

I hope that Purdue is never referred to as a "blueblood." Do you realize what that means?

The term "blueblood" was used to refer to European families of nobility. It incorrectly described their blood as different from the rest of the population - which we know is false. Because bluebloods could only marry bluebloods, they became very genetically concentrated. The lack of gene diversity led to many congenital diseases and physical malformations, plus a high incidence of mental illness and a lack of intelligence. This resulted in poor governance of their spheres of influence and significant social decay.

If you really know what the term means, you do not want to be referred to in that manner. To think that is a good way to be described seems to me to reflect a severe lack of knowledge.

was a basketball discussion only, IU football is horrible, and I honestly don't see any light at the end of the tunnel with NIL and the LA schools coming to the conference. Most still consider Indiana a blueblood in hoops, have they lived up to that recently? No

Have you ever 1 time heard Purdue mentioned when bluebloods are being discussed? that's what leads to the inferiority complex and hatred. Inferiority or jealousy are feelings they are not based on data.
You're purely trolling / flaming when you cite an inferiority complex and to be honest, you're not doing either well.

I'd tend to agree, although most Purdue fans would not, with your point on jealousy, which I get to an extent. IU hasn't been relevant in any sense since 2016, hasn't made it past the SS in 20 years and hasn't been a national power in 30 years, but they still garner more national attention than Purdue unless Purdue is ranked in the top ten and still enjoy some recruiting advantages relative to Purdue.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM

You are not paying attention to the comments of others. There is no inferiority complex on the part of Purdue fans. If anything is it what psychologists call projection by IU fans. IU's academics are inferior, the football is inferior, the basketball is inferior in recent years - essentially since RMK left. So why would you believe Purdue fans feel inferior? All IU has is a past history in one revenue sport that has not been relevant for decades. Yet in the total picture, Purdue fans feel inferior? Do you realize how little sense that makes?

Here's a hint: there is way more to a university than a basketball program, especially one that has not been successful for years. If IU fans want to feel superior with realism, move to the SEC.

You're purely trolling / flaming when you cite an inferiority complex and to be honest, you're not doing either well.

I'd tend to agree, although most Purdue fans would not, with your point on jealousy, which I get to an extent. IU hasn't been relevant in any sense since 2016, hasn't made it past the SS in 20 years and hasn't been a national power in 30 years, but they still garner more national attention than Purdue unless Purdue is ranked in the top ten and still enjoy some recruiting advantages relative to Purdue.
so, you agree with what I'm saying but then say I'm trolling. think about that, everyone has opinions it's just a message board.

You are not paying attention to the comments of others. There is no inferiority complex on the part of Purdue fans. If anything is it what psychologists call projection by IU fans. IU's academics are inferior, the football is inferior, the basketball is inferior in recent years - essentially since RMK left. So why would you believe Purdue fans feel inferior? All IU has is a past history in one revenue sport that has not been relevant for decades. Yet in the total picture, Purdue fans feel inferior? Do you realize how little sense that makes?

Here's a hint: there is way more to a university than a basketball program, especially one that has not been successful for years. If IU fans want to feel superior with realism, move to the SEC.
In basketball yes, I believe that, maybe I'm wrong.

why do you hate IU? serious question, never understood why Purdue fans hate IU, I get it's a rivalry but does one have to hate another to enjoy their team. UK Kansas and programs that have cheated for years maybe I could understand hate. But IU has run a clean program a model program most would say.
This entire thread has you trolling with every post. Either that or you have been declared mentally incompetent and they let you use the computer to keep you busy.

whatever I'm done with this discussion.
A thought: you seem to believe that Purdue fans have an inferiority complex relative to IU because of the BB program. I reject that but you should hold the idea, however flawed for a bit.. But ask yourself this question: do you believe that Harvard, Yale and Princeton fans feel inferior because none of their programs have won an NCAA Championship in basketball? I can assure you that is not the case.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT