ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Johnson will be back..

Agreed - Xavier Johnson is not designed to "carry the load," but he is outstanding at perimeter defense, breaking down defenses on the bounce to create mis-matches, feeding bigs off of high screens, and setting an example of passionate play.

HOWEVER, if he's counted on to be a volume scorer or if he regularly gets over-emotional on the court the whole thing could go to crap.

With Reneau, Ware, Sparks, and probably Walker, IU has plenty of talented bigs. And as the other poster said, IU's roster is minus two expected wing scorer additions. There's plenty of time and really good options out there, but it has to happen with at least one more addition.
Ware and Walker combined averaged 9.4 ppg this past season. That is your definition of "talented bigs?" To each his own, but those stats do not argue great talent as far as I am concerned.

Ware and Walker combined averaged 9.4 ppg this past season. That is your definition of "talented bigs?" To each his own, but those stats do not argue great talent as far as I am concerned.
Sparks had really good numbers for two straight years at BSU, but is far less talented than Ware or Reneau.

Ware is hyper talented but didn’t do much as a freshman. Sparks is a workhorse. Walker is a long, athletic veteran backup

Sparks had really good numbers for two straight years at BSU, but is far less talented than Ware or Reneau.

Ware is hyper talented but didn’t do much as a freshman. Sparks is a workhorse. Walker is a long, athletic veteran backup
Potential is not the same as being talented.

walker will surprise people he had a bone spur last year which limited him, if healthy will probably provide 9-5 off the bench, and possibly run for president one day

Reactions: mathboy
I presume you're cherry picking from the stat line again, as you usually do.

Well done.

A great basketball mind like yourself probably knows that shooting % over any cherry picked sample size does not accurately reflect impact on the game.

He was the best guard in the BIG to close out the '22 season but to be fair, the bar wasn't terribly high.

You're saying you think X was better than Jaden Ivey or Johnny Davis?

Think about that and how crazy that makes you sound.

Reactions: Schnelk
IU still sucks!
why do you hate IU? serious question, never understood why Purdue fans hate IU, I get it's a rivalry but does one have to hate another to enjoy their team. UK Kansas and programs that have cheated for years maybe I could understand hate. But IU has run a clean program a model program most would say.

why do you hate IU? serious question, never understood why Purdue fans hate IU, I get it's a rivalry but does one have to hate another to enjoy their team. UK Kansas and programs that have cheated for years maybe I could understand hate. But IU has run a clean program a model program most would say.
For me, it's your fan base. They come here asking questions and when they get answered. They tend to act foolish or oblivious to their own question. It's a childish game and that has zero room here....IU board is a perfect fit.

IU fans come across as unbelievably and undeservedly arrogant as a group. I am not a native to Indiana; I came to the state as a student. IU has never been ranked academically as high as Purdue. Admission scores of students always have had Purdue higher. It was the stated goal of a former IU President to achieve parity in scores with Purdue - which means that they had to be lower. Look at rankings of universities, e.g. US News, Wall Street Journal, etc., and Purdue is always ranked higher.

So what makes IU fans view superiority? It is not football, as IU's program has the most losses of any NCAA team. It is because they hold 5 NCAA championships. However, they conflate the present status of NCAA championship equaling a National Championship. In reality, three of them are legitimately National Championships. The first two were earned when the NIT was the superior tournament, not the NCAA. The NCAA barred/limited independents which compromised many very good teams while the NIT was open to all.

IU fans jeer Purdue's Helms title, but recognize that voting was how things were done then. Prior to the BCS, football championships were voted awards and in some years even split between 2 teams. I have yet to see IU fans challenge OSU, ND, Texas, Oklahome, Alabama, etc as claiming those championships are not valid because they were voted. One can also observe that a random one-and-done tournament is also not a true measure of superiority but that is another discussion.

The point is that they are arrogant with little to back it up.

Reactions: Schnelk and Poprudy
So what makes IU fans view superiority?

200w.webp
200w.webp

IU fans come across as unbelievably and undeservedly arrogant as a group. I am not a native to Indiana; I came to the state as a student. IU has never been ranked academically as high as Purdue. Admission scores of students always have had Purdue higher. It was the stated goal of a former IU President to achieve parity in scores with Purdue - which means that they had to be lower. Look at rankings of universities, e.g. US News, Wall Street Journal, etc., and Purdue is always ranked higher.

So what makes IU fans view superiority? It is not football, as IU's program has the most losses of any NCAA team. It is because they hold 5 NCAA championships. However, they conflate the present status of NCAA championship equaling a National Championship. In reality, three of them are legitimately National Championships. The first two were earned when the NIT was the superior tournament, not the NCAA. The NCAA barred/limited independents which compromised many very good teams while the NIT was open to all.

IU fans jeer Purdue's Helms title, but recognize that voting was how things were done then. Prior to the BCS, football championships were voted awards and in some years even split between 2 teams. I have yet to see IU fans challenge OSU, ND, Texas, Oklahome, Alabama, etc as claiming those championships are not valid because they were voted. One can also observe that a random one-and-done tournament is also not a true measure of superiority but that is another discussion.

The point is that they are arrogant with little to back it up.
Purdue fans tend to be Purdue grads, maybe that's where the inferiority complex comes from. whereas Indiana is the state school that the average citizen relates to if an alum or not. just seems like the hate is one-sided.

• Haha
Reactions: z_one
The directly above is what happens when you try to respond to a comment but have nothing to say.
Life‘s too short to be angry about stuff.
Purdue’s a great university and Purdue’s basketball team has some classy kids that are true student athletes.

Adding a little levity to a rivalry discussion about inferiority or superiority complexes is a healthy thing to do. Far better strategy than being pissed off in my opinion.

Reactions: kurt cloverdales
Purdue fans tend to be Purdue grads, maybe that's where the inferiority complex comes from. whereas Indiana is the state school that the average citizen relates to if an alum or not. just seems like the hate is one-sided.
The problem goes back to the Knight years when aunts and grannies that had never been to Bloomington let alone could spell IU if you only gave them I and U to work with spewed acidic vitriol statewide. Today their offspring and a bunch of jackoffs that have never stepped on campus arrogantly proclaim IU's greatness every summer which makes the end result so much more enjoyable. It makes hating IU easy.

• Love
The hate is definitely not ONE-SIDED. I read and post over on the IU site, and there are 6-7 dudes that usually demonstrate completely unreasonable and off-the-rails hate for Purdue, so don't try to pump that nonsense here.

I don't hate on any school. I have my opinions of their academic qualities, or lack of, but that's not hate. However, there are some coaches I don't like, Howard and Fran-con come to mind.

The hate is definitely not ONE-SIDED. I read and post over on the IU site, and there are 6-7 dudes that usually demonstrate completely unreasonable and off-the-rails hate for Purdue, so don't try to pump that nonsense here.

I don't hate on any school. I have my opinions of their academic qualities, or lack of, but that's not hate. However, there are some coaches I don't like, Howard and Fran-con come to mind.
I can't speak for other people there are idiots everywhere. I myself have never hated Purdue. those 6 or 7 dudes are normally going back and forth with Purdue fans. most of those back and forths are childish and speak to the intelligence of those involved.

The problem goes back to the Knight years when aunts and grannies that had never been to Bloomington let alone could spell IU if you only gave them I and U to work with spewed acidic vitriol statewide. Today their offspring and a bunch of jackoffs that have never stepped on campus arrogantly proclaim IU's greatness every summer which makes the end result so much more enjoyable. It makes hating IU easy.
outside of winning it all the end result always ends badly for everyone. calling people jackoffs because of who they root for doesn't elevate you above the so-called jackoffs.

outside of winning it all the end result always ends badly for everyone. calling people jackoffs because of who they root for doesn't elevate you above the so-called jackoffs.
XJ will be a fine player for IU. Not sure why this is noteworthy on the Boiler board? You wanted comment and you got it. Why complain about the natural response to the IU equivalent of Jess Settles? I wish grandpa X the best except when he scrambles out of his wheel chair to play IU's equivalent of the "Superbowl" against Purdue.

Last edited:
XJ will be a fine player for IU. Not sure why this is noteworthy on the Boiler board? You wanted comment and you got it. Not sure why you complain about the natural response to the IU equivalent of Jess Settles. I wish grandpa X the best except when he scrambles out of his wheel chair to play IU's equivalent of the "Superbowl" against Purdue.
Hes played 1 full and a quarter season at IU.

I'll see you and raise you one Brad Underwood.

Reactions: mathboy
Life‘s too short to be angry about stuff.
Purdue’s a great university and Purdue’s basketball team has some classy kids that are true student athletes.

Adding a little levity to a rivalry discussion about inferiority or superiority complexes is a healthy thing to do. Far better strategy than being pissed off in my opinion.
First of all, you suggest in your post that I am angry. I am not. I just find the views of most IU fans preposterous.

As for adding levity, I am sorry to tell you that your attempt to do so fell flat - at least for me.

I saw that iu won the spring pre pre-season Big 10 title based on the other 12 teams all conceding their games with the clown pants kids. "What's the point in even playing, they've already got it wrapped up" - was heard uttered by 1 unidentified head coach.
There will a ceremonial cutting down of the nets at the alley hoop court behind Tri Delts at 7:30. If you could all bring another net with you for future use as we expect the loosiers to win several other pre-season championships in the very near future.
Word is they've pre-ordered another banner for the fieldhouse.

• Haha
Reactions: z_one and Schnelk
I saw that iu won the spring pre pre-season Big 10 title based on the other 12 teams all conceding their games with the clown pants kids. "What's the point in even playing, they've already got it wrapped up" - was heard uttered by 1 unidentified head coach.
There will a ceremonial cutting down of the nets at the alley hoop court behind Tri Delts at 7:30. If you could all bring another net with you for future use as we expect the loosiers to win several other pre-season championships in the very near future.
Word is they've pre-ordered another banner for the fieldhouse.
I just don't see where such talk is necessary.

• Haha
Reactions: z_one
Don't keep up with the news, eh?

Have you posted anything about him that is true?
why would Woodson want him back if he is the jackass you want to make him out to be? you think Woodson with his background is going to mess with a kid who has character issues. he drove a car to fast 1 time was that stupid probably so. nobody got hurt or the herpes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT