ADVERTISEMENT

With all the WR departures I'm wondering...

Checked the list of incoming’24 guys. Four WRs and one “athlete”
These guys gotta be dreaming about playing time. Let’s hope Walters can strike a little bit of “old gold” in the portal.

Checked the list of incoming’24 guys. Four WRs and one “athlete”
These guys gotta be dreaming about playing time. Let’s hope Walters can strike a little bit of “old gold” in the portal.
incoming 22 guys

This is kinda where I am at. We can turn this around with 2-3 good wr transfers but I honestly don’t see us getting that. These guys committed to a team that had one of the best passing offenses in the Big and we for sure don’t look like that now. Hard to argue that there isn’t some sort of issue with this many leaving no matter what you thought of their talent level.
Agree. Hit the portal hard and find 3 Big 10 caliber WRs who are upgrades over what we're losing. Purdue's offense looks to try and be more balanced between run/pass, but we're still going to throw the ball 30 times a game, so there's opportunity to go around.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
The last two games of the season, Sowinski started over Sheffield. When you are a 5th year senior and you lose your starting job to a walk-on, I think your future with the team is pretty clear.

ARY and Rice couldn't stay healthy. I'm honestly surprised they are continuing to play, especially ARY. When you have chronic knee problems in your early 20s, you should really find a new hobby.

Burks is a loss, but it's not inconceivable that they find someone as good or better. He's plenty fast, but he's not a great receiver. There was nobody on this team even remotely close to a Rondale/Bell/Jones. I wish them all the best in the portal, now let's go upgrade.
Agree on Burks. Looks/runs like Tyreek Hill, but rarely seems to make the big play or key catch. For example, that deep ball he caught in the iu game, he was open by 10 yards and Card put the ball out there perfectly. Burks leaves his feet catches it and falls down on what should have been an easy walk in TD.

Agree on Burks. Looks/runs like Tyreek Hill, but rarely seems to make the big play or key catch. For example, that deep ball he caught in the iu game, he was open by 10 yards and Card put the ball out there perfectly. Burks leaves his feet catches it and falls down on what should have been an easy walk in TD.
Yeah he’s a nice 2nd option, but if he’s your best WR, you aren’t great.

Sounds like he’s gonna get a nice payday at his second school, good for him.

Reactions: bonefish1
The last two games of the season, Sowinski started over Sheffield. When you are a 5th year senior and you lose your starting job to a walk-on, I think your future with the team is pretty clear.

ARY and Rice couldn't stay healthy. I'm honestly surprised they are continuing to play, especially ARY. When you have chronic knee problems in your early 20s, you should really find a new hobby.

Burks is a loss, but it's not inconceivable that they find someone as good or better. He's plenty fast, but he's not a great receiver. There was nobody on this team even remotely close to a Rondale/Bell/Jones. I wish them all the best in the portal, now let's go upgrade.
Burks didn't trust his hands.....

The NCAA has created free agency in college athletics and now there's fall out. Very predictable.
Unlimited free agency with no salary cap. Latest NCAA proposal basely creates a straight professional division. The competitive imbalance is only going to get worse. bad enough players opted out of bowl games now they don't even complete the season once they decide to transfer.

If you were a WR here would you want to play under Harrell? He was absolutely terrible calling the plays.
If you are talking about his short yardage calls, maybe they were called because our WRs were so bad at routes, getting open, blocks at the line, and holding on to the ball? I wouldnt call a passing play either with our talent. All in all, we have to face that there was very little talent at both the OL (especially with the injuries) and WR. Burks was a bit of a sting.

Reactions: z_one
If you are talking about his short yardage calls, maybe they were called because our WRs were so bad at routes, getting open, blocks at the line, and holding on to the ball? I wouldnt call a passing play either with our talent. All in all, we have to face that there was very little talent at both the OL (especially with the injuries) and WR. Burks was a bit of a sting.
We have not had a great oline for years. Yet we have had some amazing receivers. It's all about the play calling. Look at. Colorado. They had the worst oline in the country yet they put up a lot of points.

We have not had a great oline for years. Yet we have had some amazing receivers. It's all about the play calling. Look at. Colorado. They had the worst oline in the country yet they put up a lot of points.
They have a star QB and literally the #1 recruit in the nation at WR. And they still were terrible. 4-8, just like Purdue.

You missed the point I was making.
No I didn’t. Play calling is part of the equation. Players matter. Hell, you could probably argue that their play calling was irresponsible. Either way, Sanders/Hunter is just a wee bit better than Card/Burks ans I don’t care who is calling the plays.

Still, 4-8. You set a good bar there. Our goals is to be like Colorado.

Still, 4-8. You set a good bar there. Our goals is to be like Colorado.
The point of this thread was why receivers are leaving. Our play calling was terrible for receivers. Oline being bad does matter but not nearly enough for our receivers to have terrible stats.

The point of this thread was why receivers are leaving. Our play calling was terrible for receivers. Oline being bad does matter but not nearly enough for our receivers to have terrible stats.
Receivers have terrible stats because they are terrible receivers. Do you think the coaching staff has the mindset to deliberately not throw the ball to someone they know will catch it and make plays?

Reactions: z_one and Kocher101
Receivers have terrible stats because they are terrible receivers. Do you think the coaching staff has the mindset to deliberately not throw the ball to someone they know will catch it and make plays?
Harrell is an "air raid" disciple. If a receiver doesn't do well in his offense, then they aren't much of a receiver.

Harrell is an "air raid" disciple. If a receiver doesn't do well in his offense, then they aren't much of a receiver.
This assumes that Harrell is a good coach. At best the jury is out on that topic. Evidence from elsewhere indicates that he is not a great coach. He seems to be proving that in WL.

I think the real issue is that perhaps the recievers were not that good but the returning players are certainly not any better making us incredibly thin at WR and relying on other teams rejects to improve the quality and depth of the WR room. This does NOT sound like a recipe for success.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heads up BOILER
That OH HS coach on X/Twitter above is spot on!!!

In granting players so much freedom with the portal, ie immediate eligibility, sham eligibility hearings when going from a 2nd to a 3rd school or trying to get out of their original NLI, schools poaching good players from other schools when the season isn’t even over, all that sounds great for the player, UNTIL there’s way more kids in the portal than there are spots available at the level they want/expect/feel they are worthy of.

The volume of unintended consequences with the portal and NIL and how it’s been used/manipulated vs what was originally intended is dizzying.

Reactions: tjreese and z_one
Saw that Wake Forest receiver transfer Jahmal Banks is visiting Purdue. He put up some solid numbers at Wake and looks to have a nice offer list.
Would like to see the coaches go after the Tulane receiver Chris Brazzell who I believe played high school ball with Davila in Texas. He might be a long shot though.
I haven’t seen much wide receiver rumblings so far so hopefully that picks up soon!

Reactions: pboiler18
According to Rivals. Cyrus Allen from LA Tech has a Purdue offer.

According to Gold and Black, early in the portal window C Walters flew down to Bloomington to meet with Donovan McCulley and his father. Looks like they are interested in going elsewhere.

I can not remember the source but something about a UCLA WR transfer Kam Brown

Have not heard anything more than this in the WR front. Can only speculate.

According to Rivals. Cyrus Allen from LA Tech has a Purdue offer.

According to Gold and Black, early in the portal window C Walters flew down to Bloomington to meet with Donovan McCulley and his father. Looks like they are interested in going elsewhere.

I can not remember the source but something about a UCLA WR transfer Kam Brown

Have not heard anything more than this in the WR front. Can only speculate.
McCulley is going back to that school in Bloomington

Saw that Wake Forest receiver transfer Jahmal Banks is visiting Purdue. He put up some solid numbers at Wake and looks to have a nice offer list.
Would like to see the coaches go after the Tulane receiver Chris Brazzell who I believe played high school ball with Davila in Texas. He might be a long shot though.
I haven’t seen much wide receiver rumblings so far so hopefully that picks up soon!
like him but plenty of competition

Yeah every one of our wrs were terrible and couldn’t get open. Every single one! It had nothing to do with sub par play calling and a qb who for 3/4 of the season wouldn’t set his feet or deliver the ball on time.

Our wrs left because our passing game looked like shit for most of the season plain and simple. Putting that on the wrs is dumb. We are one year removed from having one of the best passing games in the Big Ten with a first year defensive HC and an OC who has been less than impressive at several stops. This is not all on the wrs.

IU literally ran the option for half their season last year and McCulley chose to go back there without even visiting Purdue. Our OC has a lot to prove to make us desirable from a passing standpoint. Or maybe we just run the ball 40 times a game now. Who knows.

Yeah every one of our wrs were terrible and couldn’t get open. Every single one! It had nothing to do with sub par play calling and a qb who for 3/4 of the season wouldn’t set his feet or deliver the ball on time.

Our wrs left because our passing game looked like shit for most of the season plain and simple. Putting that on the wrs is dumb. We are one year removed from having one of the best passing games in the Big Ten with a first year defensive HC and an OC who has been less than impressive at several stops. This is not all on the wrs.

IU literally ran the option for half their season last year and McCulley chose to go back there without even visiting Purdue. Our OC has a lot to prove to make us desirable from a passing standpoint. Or maybe we just run the ball 40 times a game now. Who knows.
The passing game looked like shit because Dale Williams, Garrick McGee and Dominic Reno are sorry.

Like I said chump, they all played better. Burks and Yaseen much much better.

But me and you will be seeing each other when the new offensive linemen that is actually getting paid makes things different.

The offensive line has been taken care of. I know you’re desperately hoping that if you post negatively enough, maybe Bobinski will fire Walters before next season.

Beasley, Bradford, kulp and Williams are next. They’re gonna show you how sorry most of Brohm’s defensive coaches were.

So hold on to WR. When that’s rectified, and it will be, then we will see what your sorry ass has left

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18

Sure. I like to see you behind our line against Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa and Nebraska defensive front and see how you set your feet.

The criticism that Card is holding onto the ball too long is because he was giving his receivers a chance to get open. The pass production went down a lot when Max went down. Garrett showed flashes but was inconsistent with his catches. By the time Minnesota game came around, you saw a switch flip in Card. He was like screw it, I am not going to wait in the pocket for the receivers to get open. The only insight I had was a C Walters interview “we need to get Hudson to trust in his receivers.”

You do realize most of 2022 receiving production was from AOC going right away to Jones and Durham. They went to the draft.

Give Harrell the time to work with his new receivers. There might be an adjustment period for the Air Raid offense to fully click. Wisconsin‘s offense is also off to a slow start with their Air Raid offense. They need the right personnel.

as for McCulley, don’t know the details. I am sure IU did whatever they needed with their NIL to bring him back.

Sure. I like to see you behind our line against Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa and Nebraska defensive front and see how you set your feet.

The criticism that Card is holding onto the ball too long is because he was giving his receivers a chance to get open. The pass production went down a lot when Max went down. Garrett showed flashes but was inconsistent with his catches. By the time Minnesota game came around, you saw a switch flip in Card. He was like screw it, I am not going to wait in the pocket for the receivers to get open. The only insight I had was a C Walters interview “we need to get Hudson to trust in his receivers.”

You do realize most of 2022 receiving production was from AOC going right away to Jones and Durham. They went to the draft.

Give Harrell the time to work with his new receivers. There might be an adjustment period for the Air Raid offense to fully click. Wisconsin‘s offense is also off to a slow start with their Air Raid offense. They need the right personnel.

as for McCulley, don’t know the details. I am sure IU did whatever they needed with their NIL to bring him back.
I do disagree to an extent with Minnesota. In Their summer school 247 video the Minnesota guy said they had lost their depth through the portal. Guys who weren’t gonna start were like “cool I’m out.

When their were injuries, you saw a lot of non big ten players LIKE Farrell, Daniel Johnson, Austin Johnson etc hey on the field for their defense.

The passing game looked like shit because Dale Williams, Garrick McGee and Dominic Reno are sorry.

But me and you will be seeing each other when the new offensive linemen that is actually getting paid makes things different.

The offensive line has been taken care of. I know you’re desperately hoping that if you post negatively enough, maybe Bobinski will fire Walters before next season.

Beasley, Bradford, kulp and Williams are next. They’re gonna show you how sorry most of Brohm’s defensive coaches were.

So hold on to WR. When that’s rectified, and it will be, then we will see what your sorry ass has left
Man. You’re really gunna blame the last staff forever, aren’t you?

Reactions: Beorik
Man. You’re really gunna blame the last staff forever, aren’t you?
They sucked dude! But no. I told you. If Walters gets the support he needs, and he has been, 2024 is all him.

Did you miss the part about Deion Burks in 2022 being worse than Gregory Phillips, amad Anderson and Jared sparks. And he was the best player McGee left behind for Walters.

Football is a TEAM sport. For the play to be at its best, all parts of the team must play well, including the coaches. There's many reasons for having bad performances by receivers and it doesn't all fall on them. Other non-receivers could be having a poor performance, one or many in different positions, and receiver play would be affected. One thing I did notice when listening to Purdue games on the radio, the knowledgeable commentors mentioned that the receivers had to give the QB options when the original play failed and come back to give him targets, which most never did. They quit playing before the play was over, and that is bad play.

Football is a TEAM sport. For the play to be at its best, all parts of the team must play well, including the coaches. There's many reasons for having bad performances by receivers and it doesn't all fall on them. Other non-receivers could be having a poor performance, one or many in different positions, and receiver play would be affected. One thing I did notice when listening to Purdue games on the radio, the knowledgeable commentors mentioned that the receivers had to give the QB options when the original play failed and come back to give him targets, which most never did. They quit playing before the play was over, and that is bad play.
Tell me which one of these receivers was ANY good before Walters? Tj sheffield was never better than Jackson anthrop

They sucked dude! But no. I told you. If Walters gets the support he needs, and he has been, 2024 is all him.

Did you miss the part about Deion Burks in 2022 being worse than Gregory Phillips, amad Anderson and Jared sparks. And he was the best player McGee left behind for Walters.
According to a website! Burks was second team all conference man and just got brought on by an SEC school. But because PFF says he was bad..you think that’s gospel. How did he compare actual stats wise? I’m sure he was better than those guys in every category. But you do t wanna talk about that.

The thing you never wanna address is our defensive scheme. Why did we continue to put bad players in bad positions all year? We will NEVER get the type of players in this program to make this scheme successful and Walters will never go to a bowl because of it.

Keep blaming the old staff that’s been gone over a year now though!

According to a website! Burks was second team all conference man and just got brought on by an SEC school. But because PFF says he was bad..you think that’s gospel. How did he compare actual stats wise? I’m sure he was better than those guys in every category. But you do t wanna talk about that.

The thing you never wanna address is our defensive scheme. Why did we continue to put bad players in bad positions all year? We will NEVER get the type of players in this program to make this scheme successful and Walters will never go to a bowl because of it.

A website .., and moron, the 15 catches for 149 yards that he had in 300+ snaps playing with Aidan oconnell!

You hate these coaches but they made him into what he was. Deion Burks didn’t look like that working with Dominic Reno. This staff made him into a guy who warrants money. And when you’re Purdue and you have 3-5 million maybe, and Edrine returning, I’m glad they didn’t pay Burks the big coin that he earned. I’m glad they gave it to Scourton, Jenkins, Hartwig, Stewart, wingfield and bouldin

did you see that Dale Williams got hired at Cuse?

RE: defensive scheme

we had a lot of growing pains but would you not agree the defense got better later on into the season. We stopped some of the big plays from running QBs and RB mismatches against our linebackers.

OC is a good player but was not meant for what was required in this scheme. Yanni was much more versatile. Cam Allen was a deer in the headlights often getting beat on man coverage but at the IU game he looked much tighter in his coverage.

all this to say I thought the D played much better later on in the season. I think we are a couple pieces away from a solid D that C Walters is envisioning. More depth behind Yanni. Get the defensive back help with tighter man coverages. Our OLB looks solid and our safety is solid. An Ohio State insider after the OSU game commented how Purdue‘s D will be good. That C Walters has this D in the oven right now but it is not fully baked. The final product was not what OSU faced.

The scheme may need to be adjusted and evolve but it is what brought C Walters this job. I think we will take a big step next year on D.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT