ADVERTISEMENT

With all the WR departures I'm wondering...

How does my favorite receiver of all, Broc Thompson, rate. If the others played with half as much guts, they'd also have done well. Too bad he never recovered after that performance with two broken legs!!!!
64.4…

71.2 vs penn state

Then you can tell from the middle games he was probably playing hurt

Then 72.7 v Tennessee

He probably would have been in that 71 range had he been healthy. A better technician at the position than anyone we had this year except ARY.. whose legs were close to as bad as Broc. I’d take Broc over ARY though if both were healthy

I haven’t seen any P5 offers to the WRs leaving other than Yaseen which is very surprising with how little he’s played due to injuries…the dude could never stay healthy just like Rice! I’m sure the offers will come in for Burks but he had 1 above average season and wants to jump ship for greener pastures. Sucks to see guys leave but there is above average talent flooding the portal everyday so gotta have some faith with Coach Walters recruiting.
The offers to Yaseen make sense. With his injuries he’s not gonna get paid. Take a flier on him and if he’s healthy you just got a receiver that is playing like a guy who warrants some money, for no money …

Burks leaving hurts for sure. It seems he may have felt like he deserved more NIL from Purdue but didn't get it. It's not playing time or targets because he essentially the lions share.

Yaseen and Rice were always injured. Always. And even when healthy weren't exactly the game breakers we saw previously from Bell, Wright, Jones, and Moore.

Steptoe was converted to CB so there's that. Maybe he wants to play WR somewhere else.

But personally, I would prioritize the OL and DL more than WR. Keeping Gus was huge. Probably was the reason Kalt left - to play Center somewhere.

For everyone complaining about playcalling - I agree it has been atrocious at times. But to be honest, if your OL can't get a 1 yard push at the 6 inch line, there's only so many plays available to you because your OL hold you back too much.

Long story short... I don't worry about the WR. They're a dime a dozen. What we really nugliest are the cons fed big uglies up front ready willing and able to knock some heads.
Well when we run shotgun formation at the 6 inch line it puts the oline at a huge disadvantage. So that's on the OC. Time after time. QB sneak behind the center would get in 1 out of the 4 tries.

Well when we run shotgun formation at the 6 inch line it puts the oline at a huge disadvantage. So that's on the OC. Time after time. QB sneak behind the center would get in 1 out of the 4 tries.
This just isn’t true with minimal sized guards.

The snap doesn't make a difference in the push. The OL still has to fire off and push the DL back or create a hole in a gap for the QB to sneak through. No push means the QB just gets stood up behind C with no momentum forward.

Watch Iowa's OL on their QB sneak. They get 2 yards of push every time. We don't get that. We couldn't get a push vs Fresno, couldn't against Northwestern.

Our best goal line plays were the read option stretch plays with RB or QB going to the outside then cutting inside when there was a hole or crease. We pretty much failed running up the gut almost every time because we never got the push.

So my problem with goal line and short yardage play calling was the insistence that we could run up between tackles but reality showed we couldn't.

Reactions: z_one
Walters realized that lining up under center wasn't working, and then ran plays from the shotgun. He was a realist.
I think if we can get a right tackle and a left guard you pay for.. that cost money, you will see Purdue converting in either alignment. If Austin Johnson has to play you can kiss short yardage good bye. He was the common denominator in nearly every short yardage failure

Reactions: SKYDOG
Walters realized that lining up under center wasn't working, and then ran plays from the shotgun. He was a realist.
Yes, the running game was successful when we went read option from shotgun. We let Mock and Tracy find the holes instead of hoping the OL would make them.

We need a revamp on OL in a bad way.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Here are your pff run blocking grades for the year:

Mbow 69.0
Nichols 67.5
Hartwig 65.6
Kaltenberger 61.3
Grant 60.6
Griffin 60.1
Moussa 55.3
A. Johnson 51.0
D. Johnson 50.7
Farrell 50.3

So, your left tackle needs strength in the weight room. This is true before any injuries. See those guys on the bottom? They were all playing at the end, together.

I think people like to look at a Ben Farrell and say “hey I heard big things when he got here, he’s trying. He’s okay, right.

Wrong. He was overwhelmed at the point of attack as was Austin Johnson. Daniel Johnson just isn’t a football player and it’s an indictment of Jeff brohm and Dale Williams that Johnson was one of the top tackles they left.

Reactions: SKYDOG and krf3632
The snap doesn't make a difference in the push. The OL still has to fire off and push the DL back or create a hole in a gap for the QB to sneak through. No push means the QB just gets stood up behind C with no momentum forward.

Watch Iowa's OL on their QB sneak. They get 2 yards of push every time. We don't get that. We couldn't get a push vs Fresno, couldn't against Northwestern.

Our best goal line plays were the read option stretch plays with RB or QB going to the outside then cutting inside when there was a hole or crease. We pretty much failed running up the gut almost every time because we never got the push.

So my problem with goal line and short yardage play calling was the insistence that we could run up between tackles but reality showed we couldn't.
Put a back up QB and freaking jump over the line. Our play calling on offense was just garbage for 80% of the year. Not sure where that Minnesota offense came from.

Put a back up QB and freaking jump over the line. Our play calling on offense was just garbage for 80% of the year. Not sure where that Minnesota offense came from.
Minnesota lost their depth to the portal last summer. When they had injuries they were playing true freshmen on defense who were seeing their first action

I have to believe when your top 5 receivers all decided to leave there is a problem that nobody wants to air publicly! I’m not sure if it’s the qb, the receivers coach or the offense. I don’t believe all these receivers are leaving just because we had a losing season. And it’s definitely not about future playing time.
How do you know those were the top 5, other than Burks? I thought Klare was one of our top before he got hurt (yes, listed as be a TE, but played more of a WR from what I saw.) There was also the transfer who was going to be a starter who got hurt and missed the whole season.

And what do you know about the freshmen redshirt WRs?

The guys who left know a lot more about the talent remaining than we do, and maybe that is why some of them left.

Lol are you being serious or do you really not know what you are talking about???

You want a backup QB to take a snap under center, then do a standing broad jump over the linemen? Who the Fook can do that? Who has ever done that?

• Haha
Reactions: New Pal Boiler
I have to believe when your top 5 receivers all decided to leave there is a problem that nobody wants to air publicly! I’m not sure if it’s the qb, the receivers coach or the offense. I don’t believe all these receivers are leaving just because we had a losing season. And it’s definitely not about future playing time.

I made the statement that when Sheffield announced his intentions to transfer before the biggest game of our season That he did so for a reason! And there was a problem somebody is trying to hide!

It’s one thing for a backup to leave, but not your entire receiving corps. And it’s not like any of these players are being recruited to play for a better school. They just want out and don’t really care where they will end up.

To me this points a huge finger at either the QB or the coaching staff! It’s one thing if a player is leaving for a huge NIL payout. But none of these players is going to receive any more NIL money than they are currently receiving.

I also find it interesting that when the question of is there a problem is raised, There is a dead silence to the question. It’s almost as if there is a solidarity among the receivers.

Is Purdue converting to the wishbone offense next year?
Don’t stir the pot with your speculations unless you have inside information. Kids will be kids when it comes to the portal. It’s a complete guessing game now a days, you’re better off gambling your life savings on a coin flip vs portal guesses.
Let the fun begin tomorrow when the portal officially opens up!

Don’t stir the pot with your speculations unless you have inside information. Kids will be kids when it comes to the portal. It’s a complete guessing game now a days, you’re better off gambling your life savings on a coin flip vs portal guesses.
Let the fun begin tomorrow when the portal officially opens up!
Well his son is a track coach, so…

Perhaps I know more than I reveal!

If all you want is just one side of the story, just read the official press releases.

• Haha
Reactions: z_one
Sheffield started last year. Burks got 321 reps in 2022. That’s more than enough to show your value. He was terrible. Because Garrick McGee is garbage
The last two games of the season, Sowinski started over Sheffield. When you are a 5th year senior and you lose your starting job to a walk-on, I think your future with the team is pretty clear.

ARY and Rice couldn't stay healthy. I'm honestly surprised they are continuing to play, especially ARY. When you have chronic knee problems in your early 20s, you should really find a new hobby.

Burks is a loss, but it's not inconceivable that they find someone as good or better. He's plenty fast, but he's not a great receiver. There was nobody on this team even remotely close to a Rondale/Bell/Jones. I wish them all the best in the portal, now let's go upgrade.

Anyone who I’m supposed to worry about losing better be able to outperform anthony mahoungou. These guys were barely outperforming Jared Sparks. And that’s after Harrell got here. Before, with brohm and 300+ snaps, here is Deion Burks

Jared Sparks 2019 - 63.4
Gregory Phillips - 60.2
Amad Anderson 2019 - 56.2
Jarrett Burgess 2018 - 54.3
Deion Burks 2022 - 51.4

It is in fact hard to even find receivers who were worse than Burks in 2022 per pff.

Here is the full list in the brohm era and 1 year of walters

2017 - Corey Holmes 49.3 (I legitimately don’t know who this is)
2018 - no one
2019 - no one
2020 - Jackson anthrop 51.2
Amad anderson 49.3
Abdur-Rahmann Yaseen 46.1
2021 - Collin Sullivan 47.9
2022 - NO ONE! BURKS WAS THE LOWEST Rated receiver on the team under the Dalai Brohma
2023 - Elijah Canion 51.3

So, six individual seasons in 7 years. It’s remarkable to me that people want to blame this staff for Burks wanting market value (that IMO they shouldn’t pay) while not crediting this staff at all for Burks improvement.

By the way .. on to pboilers theory. Burks just played bad because he didn’t get snaps.

Here are those 7 players including Burks by snap

Deion Burks 2022 - 321
Amad anderson 2020 - 165
Collin Sullivan 2021 - 85
Jackson anthrop 2020 - 61
Corey Holmes 2017 - 56
Elijah Canion 2023 - 19
ARY 2020 - 6

Corey Holmes was the transfer from Notre Dame

nd has lost 4 of their wr's and their receivers coach got canned, they are going to hire Wisky's wr coach
That points to my original speculation that when almost your entire receiver corp leaves there is a problem with the coach! Obviously you saw there was a problem with the coach at ND!

That points to my original speculation that when almost your entire receiver corp leaves there is a problem with the coach! Obviously you saw there was a problem with the coach at ND!
Unless the receivers are not right for the system. What was the obvious problem with the coach at ND?

Buckeye’s qb in the portal
Minny qb in the portal
And Many more to come…

Maybe he can reveal his inside scoop on these teams also!
Buckeye’s coach threw McChord under the bus during his press conference after the Michigan game with a less than resounding vote of confidence for next year! That’s all I can or will tell you!

I don’t talk much about my son, but several of you seem to love bringing the subject of my son and his occupation up constantly!

Since you guys brought the subject about my son up in this conversation and not me, my son he has more ncaa championship rings in 4 years as a coach than Painter has! He’s now coaching at his third team.

He also has recruited several players that ended up signing with Purdue to play football. Ironically one of them was a receiver!

Maybe Freeman told them their NIL money was being taken away and given to better WRs they are getting from the portal ?

Unless the receivers are not right for the system. What was the obvious problem with the coach at ND?
I don’t work at ND! I just said when you have a mass exodus of players at one position at one school there must be an issue with their coach! And poof, a mass exodus happened at ND and their respective coach was fired! Coincidence? No! You want details and inside info? Ask someone from Notre dame who is not their head coach or AD. ADs are never very forthcoming. Their job is to sell tickets, not reveal shortcomings and issues .

A lot of people here seem to want insider info! You crave it. It’s your precious! What I’m saying is put your brain to use! Look for signs and trends! Make hypothesis , collect data, do some research and draw conclusions!

You will never get the real truth from a press conference, coach or AD. Sometimes you need to infer! Sometimes what you are provided is the results and you need to identify the causes. Look for trends and identify the cause, and then by fixing the cause of the problem, you create a better future! Isn’t that the mentality and philosophy engineers are also supposed to have?

Maybe Freeman told them their NIL money was being taken away and given to better WRs they are getting from the portal ?
Now you are starting to think and speculate and using your brain and intelligence to reach conclusions! I’m proud of you!

I think he had maybe 7 total catches and had 2 years eligibility after transferring. Only ended up playing I think 1.5 years then quit football, I think
I remember that guy! He was supposed to be a studs and turned into a total dud

Burks is the only WR transfer that I 100% believe Walters wanted to keep. Everyone else either underperformed or was constantly injured.

Reactions: tenwest
Buckeye’s coach threw McChord under the bus during his press conference after the Michigan game with a less than resounding vote of confidence for next year! That’s all I can or will tell you!

I don’t talk much about my son, but several of you seem to love bringing the subject of my son and his occupation up constantly!

Since you guys brought the subject about my son up in this conversation and not me, my son he has more ncaa championship rings in 4 years as a coach than Painter has! He’s now coaching at his third team.

He also has recruited several players that ended up signing with Purdue to play football. Ironically one of them was a receiver!
Don’t know em
Don’t care

their wr's receivers coach Stuckey played favorites, he got canned and 4 wr's left. Now Wisky lost their wr coach to nd and now 3 wr's left Wisky

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT