ADVERTISEMENT

Will we be able to keep Jeff Brohm for a while?

a little tip for those who are looking to save money besides just clipping those coupons. - when you're at McDonalds reading all your football and basketball posts and changing your fantasy game lineups, just click the settings to your cell phone to the McDonalds WIFI, and all my posts and insight will come to you for free with no data usage charged to your account.

as far as data usage goes, it costs you as much data usage to open this forum on your cell phone and cut me down as it does to actually read my posts.

just some friendly neighborly advice to save you time and money from your local info systems man. For future tips on how to save money in life and some ethical advise, just check out my facebook page or request to join one of my groups! Who knows? I might send you a you tube clip of Jungle Boogie!

if you want to compare Hazell and Brohm, just open a new link and go over to the 24/7 site and take a look at the Purdue offers . it's 100 times longer than during the Hazell era. A warning: you could exceed your data usage reading it.

A couple of insightful notes: there are about 10 times more WARM ratings by recruits than Hazell ever generated. and a lot of those offers went to players with a school named Alabama also targeting. Brohm is going after a lot of elite athletes and challenging the BIG BOYS for their services. I like his attitude, and hopefully he may win a few of those recruiting battles.

6-6 with a Competitive bowl game would be fine by me. I know enough of the defense was Seniors and that changes drastically. Where Purdue's strength should be this year will come thru the offense. It should be entertaining this year to pace teams to the finish line before the defense shores up solid as Holt can make that happen. Years 3-4 and on will be interesting to see how solid Purdue can be as compared to upper echelon of Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Michigan, MSU. I would expect that NEB will start to rise again and who knows where Iowa, NW and others will be? Michigan (Harbaugh's schtick) might start to get old after all that money they've thrown his way and their QB situation looks like roadkill. I'll be paying attention.
When it is all said and done, is Purdue entertaining and respectable? I know this much. I don't have to be sheepish around all other alumni here in Wisconsin like I have in years past. Run that blocked FG in last year and how might that game have turned out? I was entertained.

Depends on how quickly the 1st and 2nd year guys can start to make an impact. The last 2 years of Hazell's recruiting is going to really hurt us this year as well as Brohm's truncated 2017 class.

I think we will still win 6 or 7 games, and will add what has an appearance of turning into an excellent recruiting class going into next year. It will probably be 2020 before we can really see the jump above 7 wins.

Reactions: 72Boiler
Depends on how quickly the 1st and 2nd year guys can start to make an impact. The last 2 years of Hazell's recruiting is going to really hurt us this year as well as Brohm's truncated 2017 class.

I think we will still win 6 or 7 games, and will add what has an appearance of turning into an excellent recruiting class going into next year. It will probably be 2020 before we can really see the jump above 7 wins.

Vegas is predicting 5. That seems correct.

if you want to compare Hazell and Brohm, just open a new link and go over to the 24/7 site and take a look at the Purdue offers . it's 100 times longer than during the Hazell era. A warning: you could exceed your data usage reading it.
a little tip for those who are looking to save money besides just clipping those coupons. - when you're at McDonalds reading all your football and basketball posts and changing your fantasy game lineups, just click the settings to your cell phone to the McDonalds WIFI, and all my posts and insight will come to you for free with no data usage charged to your account.

as far as data usage goes, it costs you as much data usage to open this forum on your cell phone and cut me down as it does to actually read my posts.

just some friendly neighborly advice to save you time and money from your local info systems man. For future tips on how to save money in life and some ethical advise, just check out my facebook page or request to join one of my groups! Who knows? I might send you a you tube clip of Jungle Boogie!
51q9s3ovI4L.jpg

IMO Brohm has a honeymoon year after the turnaround he achieved last season. Fact is the team is still mostly guys recruited by DH2, and a big key to last season's success was some 1 year stop-gap guys that are no longer here. This year is going to be more about developing a young core for the future.
No, the key was guys (mostly seniors) finally getting the coaching they needed to excel to their relative skill level. The guys had experience in environments but didn't have experience with a good coaching staff that knew what they were doing 100% of the time.

There will be a drop off this year at some point...but doubtful it is the cliff dive we all saw against a horrible Nebraska team. The team is likely more consistent throughout the season and throughout games...but very well may end up losing more games.

I think the ceiling is likely 8 but the floor is likely 4 games but there is less of the razor's edge Purdue was on to beat competitive teams. Brohm likely has Purdue off the ledge a few feet now...but the major issue will be the youth on the defensive side of the ball. If that comes together AND they can string those early games in to a 3-1 or 4-0 record again...the confidence component can be a big thing and Purdue starts to be a player in the West this season.

No, the key was guys (mostly seniors) finally getting the coaching they needed to excel to their relative skill level. The guys had experience in environments but didn't have experience with a good coaching staff that knew what they were doing 100% of the time.

There will be a drop off this year at some point...but doubtful it is the cliff dive we all saw against a horrible Nebraska team. The team is likely more consistent throughout the season and throughout games...but very well may end up losing more games.

I think the ceiling is likely 8 but the floor is likely 4 games but there is less of the razor's edge Purdue was on to beat competitive teams. Brohm likely has Purdue off the ledge a few feet now...but the major issue will be the youth on the defensive side of the ball. If that comes together AND they can string those early games in to a 3-1 or 4-0 record again...the confidence component can be a big thing and Purdue starts to be a player in the West this season.
I don't disagree with your point. There were multiple keys to success last year (why I said a big key, not THE key). The improvements in coaching is a given. There will be another group of juniors and seniors step up this year, but we don't have the 1 year band aids we had last year to plug the holes. Instead the holes will be filled with guys who may not reach their potential for another 2-3 years.

IMO I think Brohm could have gone out and got another 1 year rental like McCollum or Okonye, but it would have stunted the development of his recruits. I think it is the right move, even if there is a small step backwards this season.

I don't disagree with your point. There were multiple keys to success last year (why I said a big key, not THE key). The improvements in coaching is a given. There will be another group of juniors and seniors step up this year, but we don't have the 1 year band aids we had last year to plug the holes. Instead the holes will be filled with guys who may not reach their potential for another 2-3 years.

IMO I think Brohm could have gone out and got another 1 year rental like McCollum or Okonye, but it would have stunted the development of his recruits. I think it is the right move, even if there is a small step backwards this season.

5th year market isn’t done yet. It will heat up again soon

Reactions: pboiler18
5th year market isn’t done yet. It will heat up again soon
Good point. While we got McCollum Okonye in February and March, Evans and Steinmetz didn't announce until June. We'll see at least one more add with the departure of Allen, maybe more. But not sold it will be somebody that's good enough to keep a rising young LB or DE off the field. If it is then the arrow is pointing up for 2018.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
This year he got a nice little bump, I would like to see him jump a bit more to get him maybe Top 4 in the Conference- Ferentz/Dantonio money. I know more tickets sold, t-shirts bought, advertising sold, will help with that.

I know Tennessee threw a ton of money at him and the AD was not authorized to then went back with a lower offer which is why he stayed. The running rumor is Louisville when Petrino goes, but I am not sure if that job is a step up or lateral. Same money or similar money. I know home is tough to turn down. Looking at the rest of the "hot seat" I am not sure what would be a threat this year. http://coacheshotseat.com/

Ultimately I would love to have him here for 10 years. Hope it is possible.
Brohm is now tied with PJ Fleck at fifth. That's pretty sweet IMO. Better results will merit higher pay as they go up.

https://www.boydsbets.com/highest-paid-college-football-coaches/

I think he will win less in 2018 than 2017. 4-5 games compared with 7 last year. Just being realistic. That being said even a 5-7 I would be happy with as he rebuilds from the ashes. This is so exciting to finally have a watchable product.
I’m glad the Brohm’s, Bobinski, and the BOT don’t think like you. Loser mentality. We will not be worse this season. Bank on it.

Not really. Purdue could have been 9-4 last year (Rutgers, Nebraska)
You're also assuming we win a much harder bowl game to get to 9-4, not sure that's a given. I was thoroughly impressed with Brohm et al this past year but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that this years team will not fair as well considering Brohm's recruits aren't up to speed and we're still dealing with Hazel's last poor recruiting classes.

I hope I'm proved wrong.

You're also assuming we win a much harder bowl game to get to 9-4, not sure that's a given. I was thoroughly impressed with Brohm et al this past year but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that this years team will not fair as well considering Brohm's recruits aren't up to speed and we're still dealing with Hazel's last poor recruiting classes.

I hope I'm proved wrong.
Looking at that post Spring two deep in the GBI, it hit me how young we are, especially on D. Offense should be a strength, but a ton of questions at WR.

With a young squad, it is not unreasonable to expect inconsistentcy. Also we are not a 1-11 road apple anymore. College kids rise up or fall down to competition. We will get the best shot.

Reactions: Purdue11

I hope I'm proved wrong.
We will be improved on offense, will be slightly worse on defense (give up ~23-24 ppg vs. ~20 ppg this past season).

Our offense has only scratched the surface. Borhm is starting to get his guys for his system. You watch, the offense will be much more explosive this season.

I think he will win less in 2018 than 2017. 4-5 games compared with 7 last year. Just being realistic. That being said even a 5-7 I would be happy with as he rebuilds from the ashes. This is so exciting to finally have a watchable product.
I’m thinking he might gamble a few games for a win that normally a good defense wouldn’t have to do. I’m excited to see what Brohm and Holt
along with defensive staff can do. The offense will bring enough heat to get 5
Wins. Let’s see what the Defense does to get Purdue bowl eligible. Am I excited? Hell Yeah!

Reactions: Heiner and Purdue11
Brohm spoke at RRMC today. He seems to think this season they will see more success

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Rolls Royce Meridian Center in downtown Indy.

Former Boiler RB Edwin Watson works there as well.
You may know me. Worked for RRC the past 15 years. I know Edwin but been a few years since I worked with him. I manage our RR interests at Tinker AFB in OKC. I was in engineering for many years, in Defense Services since 2012.

You may know me. Worked for RRC the past 15 years. I know Edwin but been a few years since I worked with him. I manage our RR interests at Tinker AFB in OKC. I was in engineering for many years, in Defense Services since 2012.
Worked in Global Repair Serviced America and RRESI was where I started

Left in 2014. Working in Airframes now. Was a guest to see Boiler coaches.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it happened in the corner of end zone. Orton was lucky it want picked.

I don't remember that play either, but the Orton fumble is stuck in my minds eye like it was yesterday.
I also remember a DB or LB dropped a sure pick that hit him right in the chest that would have sealed that game.
Orton was the leading Heisman candidate and we were looking at a top 3 ranking had we won.

If Brohm has another good year or two, someone will come throw 5-7 million at him. He'd essentially going to be at the top of the list for all big program vacancies going forward.
If Purdue wants to keep him, they'll need to pony up big time $.

I don't remember that play either, but the Orton fumble is stuck in my minds eye like it was yesterday.
I also remember a DB or LB dropped a sure pick that hit him right in the chest that would have sealed that game.
Orton was the leading Heisman candidate and we were looking at a top 3 ranking had we won.

That fumble should have never been allowed since Orton's helmet nearly got ripped off by his facemask. Then we block a PAT, drive right into field goal range and miss a 45ish yarder to tie it... so much bad in one quarter, it's amazing we only lost by 3.

Ben Smith, a Safety, dropped the pick that would have likely ended that Wisky, delivering a big win to Tiller and Purdue.

That fumble should have never been allowed since Orton's helmet nearly got ripped off by his facemask. Then we block a PAT, drive right into field goal range and miss a 45ish yarder to tie it... so much bad in one quarter, it's amazing we only lost by 3.
I don't remember Orton getting facemasked on that play? What I remember was Orton scrambling and taking an unnecessary low shot while stretching for extra yards. The ball popped out for the scoop and score. It was a clean (dumb on Orton's part) play.

I don't remember Orton getting facemasked on that play? What I remember was Orton scrambling and taking an unnecessary low shot while stretching for extra yards. The ball popped out for the scoop and score. It was a clean (dumb on Orton's part) play.
He did have his facemask grabbed, but you almost have to see the play in slo-mo for it to stand out.

Old thread dug up. Spare time this past weekend had me reading some on Louisville's board. There is a thread on CJB. Four pages. Three consistent complaints of Petrino were they felt stagnant at 8.4 wins per season. Didn't like his bowl record of 1-3. And his inability to beat Clemson. Geez, thought only Alabama beats Clemson...well maybe Syracuse. I think if he builds Purdue it will be his and we will be his. I would only hope he wouldn't want to get into that mess down there but I realize it is home. I hope us, the Boilermaker faithful, will make this a football school again and keep Louisville a basketball school and make the decision easy for coach to stay here. Boiler Up Brohm Squad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT