ADVERTISEMENT

Will we be able to keep Jeff Brohm for a while?

RegionWarrior101

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2014
2-1-9
This year he got a nice little bump, I would like to see him jump a bit more to get him maybe Top 4 in the Conference- Ferentz/Dantonio money. I know more tickets sold, t-shirts bought, advertising sold, will help with that.

I know Tennessee threw a ton of money at him and the AD was not authorized to then went back with a lower offer which is why he stayed. The running rumor is Louisville when Petrino goes, but I am not sure if that job is a step up or lateral. Same money or similar money. I know home is tough to turn down. Looking at the rest of the "hot seat" I am not sure what would be a threat this year. http://coacheshotseat.com/

Ultimately I would love to have him here for 10 years. Hope it is possible.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
This year he got a nice little bump, I would like to see him jump a bit more to get him maybe Top 4 in the Conference- Ferentz/Dantonio money. I know more tickets sold, t-shirts bought, advertising sold, will help with that.

I know Tennessee threw a ton of money at him and the AD was not authorized to then went back with a lower offer which is why he stayed. The running rumor is Louisville when Petrino goes, but I am not sure if that job is a step up or lateral. Same money or similar money. I know home is tough to turn down. Looking at the rest of the "hot seat" I am not sure what would be a threat this year. http://coacheshotseat.com/

Let's let him prove he's worth the huge raise he just got. One season does not a coaching career make. When he's put PU in a major bowl two out of three years....then he might have proven himself worthy.

And so far, he's signed a bunch of 2's, 3's, and a single 4 star recruit. IMO the jury is still out if he can compete at a higher level than 6 or seven wins.

Reactions: SKYDOG
He and his staff are worthy. The transformation in year one indicates that. Can he elevate to consistent 8-5 or better seasons. I think he can and hope he does. It may not be in year two as this season replaces a lot of the solid defense. Our Offense should step up which would be exciting, but another 7-6 would still be satisfying.

Let's let him prove he's worth the huge raise he just got. One season does not a coaching career make. When he's put PU in a major bowl two out of three years....then he might have proven himself worthy.

And so far, he's signed a bunch of 2's, 3's, and a single 4 star recruit. IMO the jury is still out if he can compete at a higher level than 6 or seven wins.

Lol.

I will take 7 wins. I do not want to get greedy.

I might have thought that in 2000 after back to back NYD bowls. But after 2013-2016, I have become thankful for anything 6 or better.

03-04 was our best shot. Butler leaving early left a massive rt sized hole in that line.

Call me crazy, but if Brohm can produce a consistent 7-9 win team at Purdue and compete for a BIG 10 championship, I would say Louisville and the ACC would be a step down. I have to believe 7-9 wins at Purdue would produce increased revenue and also an increased paycheck. I would think an upper tier BIG 10 job would be a desirable job rather than a stepping stone. but obviously, to keep one of the better coaches in the BIG 10, Purdue also needs to pay their coaches the going rate. A top 20 coach deserves top 20 pay. With continued success, comes increased rewards.

I'm not so sure Brohm really wants to go back to Louisville. Sure, it looked great when he was a head coach at WKU. But seldom does a player going back to his alma mater as a coach end up as a success story.

Right. 1997-2004 was kind of the run. The Fumble and Orton's Injury was our Fall of Rome. What a golden era all in all.

Tiller was never the same after the osu loss in 2003. He went conservative after that and I think standeford slipping was a far bigger disaster. Win that game and it’s 2 championships in 4 years

Reactions: RegionWarrior101
Tiller was never the same after the osu loss in 2003. He went conservative after that and I think standeford slipping was a far bigger disaster. Win that game and it’s 2 championships in 4 years
That is true too. Missed FG at Columbus. He also started to recruit a higher profile player but guys who had some character issues.

You don’t understand how big a dumpster fire those guys inherited. There’s a reason UT wanted him.

Nice job of bringing this topic up for recruits to see...right after he just signed a big extension which should’ve quieted down this notion for a while to allow Brohm to recruit better.

Nice job of bringing this topic up for recruits to see...right after he just signed a big extension which should’ve quieted down this notion for a while to allow Brohm to recruit better.
If me, a dope from Northwest Indiana, can tell our coach is great and in high demand, a kid with a Google machine will be able to deduce the same. You are right as coaching job security questions have killed recruiting at Michigan and LSU.

Aren't you the guy who says a player commits to the school not the coach anyway? If not, my apologies.

Reactions: PUQBMan.

What did you watch this season? The turnaround we had was remarkable considering what we endured under Hazell. Purdue's trajectory is going up, that's the truth. And Brohm and staff have just started here.

BTW, he did not get a "huge" raise.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver

37-16 record so far and bowl wins every time. LMAO

You don't like what I post....click ignore. We'll see just how well he does in year 2 and 3.
WTF. Purdue hired one of the best coaches it possibly could have and you still have doubts after last year, including the bowl win? Brohm is a rising star and he has an excellent staff. I don’t understand the mindset of “fans” like you.

Reactions: ejs1111
WTF. Purdue hired one of the best coaches it possibly could have and you still have doubts after last year, including the bowl win? Brohm is a rising star and he has an excellent staff. I don’t understand the mindset of “fans” like you.
One seven win season is just that. If he's as good as you and others claim, it will play out. I'm not about seven win seasons though it's better than a five or six win season. If you're getting paid top 10 wages, then you produce top 10 results. If you and other fans are happy with seven wins, that's really okay. With what they're paying him, seven ain't enough in my opinion and it's just that...my opinion. To give him a raise after just giving him a raise isn't something I'd do based on one year. He may turn out to be the next Harbaugh, or he could turn out to be the next Tom Allen.

One seven win season is just that. If he's as good as you and others claim, it will play out. I'm not about seven win seasons though it's better than a five or six win season. If you're getting paid top 10 wages, then you produce top 10 results. If you and other fans are happy with seven wins, that's really okay. With what they're paying him, seven ain't enough in my opinion and it's just that...my opinion. To give him a raise after just giving him a raise isn't something I'd do based on one year. He may turn out to be the next Harbaugh, or he could turn out to be the next Tom Allen.
Totally uninformed. Brohm went 30-10 prior to coming to Purdue. His team won 2 league championships and 3 bowls in 3 seasons.

He took a 3 win team and got them to 7-6 with a bowl win. He won more league games in 1 season as Hazell did in 4. Brohm won a bowl game against a good AZ team in Season1.

To even compare Brohm to Tom Allen is laughable. Our recruiting is improving significantly.

I think he will win less in 2018 than 2017. 4-5 games compared with 7 last year. Just being realistic. That being said even a 5-7 I would be happy with as he rebuilds from the ashes. This is so exciting to finally have a watchable product.

with brohm at 3.5M for 2018, that puts him about tied for 7th in the big ten, around 20th nationally.

Looking at our schedule, I can see Purdue easily going 6-6 again. But unlike the past, I see that as the floor, not the ceiling.

I believe we all would agree any coach that took over for Hazell would produce better results. much like last year's team, we have some holes to fill. However, I doubt any team we play this year will take us lightly or be looking ahead to their next game. As we improve, other teams will target us as their game of the season to beat us. I know IU will mark down the bucket game as a must win game.

I'm not sure our overall talent level is that much better than last year. A lot of Brohm's recruits will redshirt, meaning what you saw on the field last year, you will see again. A lot will depend on Sindelar's health and how soon and how much our freshmen are incorporated into our system.

i share some of twin degrees' concerns. I didn't like the contract we gave Hazell. I felt it was too much and too long for a coach who hadn't really proven himself. Coach Brohm was given a similar contract. but you could see the difference the minute he walked in the door. I believe the extension given was kind of like a company Christmas bonus. it was a good year. Painter received a similar extension a couple of years ago for his coaching ability.

What I see in Brohm is a coach who actually wants to make Purdue a championship team. He encouraged a lot of dead weight to leave. he is recruiting hard, and recruiting elite athletes rather than the also rans.

The only thing I will question or disagree with was his use of kickers last year. I hated the alternating revolving door. I thought one kicker would be used for kick-offs and long FG attempts, and the other would be used for extra points and shorter attempts. I'm also not a huge fan of using two scholarships for kickers. They earned their scholarship. I would have just used the scholarship at a different position.

A question I raise, will Boilermaker fans be satisfied with another 7-6 season? Or will they demand more? Much like Boilermaker basketball, I felt the team reached its potential, but many fans expected a lot more. if brohm only goes 7-6, will that be considered a down season with fans calling him a bust? I'm curious as to what Minnesota fans are saying today. Their season last year didn't exactly live up to its hype.

Looking at our schedule, I can see Purdue easily going 6-6 again. But unlike the past, I see that as the floor, not the ceiling.

I believe we all would agree any coach that took over for Hazell would produce better results. much like last year's team, we have some holes to fill. However, I doubt any team we play this year will take us lightly or be looking ahead to their next game. As we improve, other teams will target us as their game of the season to beat us. I know IU will mark down the bucket game as a must win game.

I'm not sure our overall talent level is that much better than last year. A lot of Brohm's recruits will redshirt, meaning what you saw on the field last year, you will see again. A lot will depend on Sindelar's health and how soon and how much our freshmen are incorporated into our system.

i share some of twin degrees' concerns. I didn't like the contract we gave Hazell. I felt it was too much and too long for a coach who hadn't really proven himself. Coach Brohm was given a similar contract. but you could see the difference the minute he walked in the door. I believe the extension given was kind of like a company Christmas bonus. it was a good year. Painter received a similar extension a couple of years ago for his coaching ability.

What I see in Brohm is a coach who actually wants to make Purdue a championship team. He encouraged a lot of dead weight to leave. he is recruiting hard, and recruiting elite athletes rather than the also rans.

The only thing I will question or disagree with was his use of kickers last year. I hated the alternating revolving door. I thought one kicker would be used for kick-offs and long FG attempts, and the other would be used for extra points and shorter attempts. I'm also not a huge fan of using two scholarships for kickers. They earned their scholarship. I would have just used the scholarship at a different position.

A question I raise, will Boilermaker fans be satisfied with another 7-6 season? Or will they demand more? Much like Boilermaker basketball, I felt the team reached its potential, but many fans expected a lot more. if brohm only goes 7-6, will that be considered a down season with fans calling him a bust? I'm curious as to what Minnesota fans are saying today. Their season last year didn't exactly live up to its hype.
IMO Brohm has a honeymoon year after the turnaround he achieved last season. Fact is the team is still mostly guys recruited by DH2, and a big key to last season's success was some 1 year stop-gap guys that are no longer here. This year is going to be more about developing a young core for the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT