ADVERTISEMENT

Will this be the year they finally get there or will they end short?

Nov 8, 2001
Is this the year Wisconsin gets the Big Ten title and a birth in the College Football Playoff?

No, question Paul Chryst is off to a strong start back in his hometown and at his alma mater. He is 34-7 in his first 3 seasons back home, after 19-20 at Pitt. They are 22-4 in regular B1G games.

DC Jim Leonard is back too! He is entering his 3rd season as a coach, 2nd as DC. They play a wicked 3-4.

In 2017, they won 13 straight and 9-0 in B1G for the first time in program history.

In 2016, the lost back to back games at Michigan and against Urban and Ohio State.

In 2015, both games were in Madison, but lost B1G opener to Iowa, then Northwestern finished them off prior to Gopher game, where they now have won 14 straight.

Aug 31 Western Kentucky TBD
Sep 8 New Mexico 12:00-BTN
Sep 15 BYU 3:30
Sep 22 @ Iowa TBD
Oct 6 Nebraska TBD
Oct 13 @ Michigan TBD
Oct 20 Illinois 12:00
Oct 27 @ Northwestern TBD
Nov 3 Rutgers TBD
Nov 10 @ Penn State TBD
Nov 17 @ Purdue TBD
Nov 24 Minnesota TBD

My thoughts are the Big 10 champion should always be included in football's version of the final 4. It looks like UW will play both mich and penn st and possibly OSU in a championship game. If they win all three games, as champion, they should go.

However, I'm not sure UW will beat Nebraska, Iowa or Purdue. Maybe the poster would get better feedback asking this question on the UW board where they can post more positive insight.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Is this the year Wisconsin gets the Big Ten title and a birth in the College Football Playoff?

No, question Paul Chryst is off to a strong start back in his hometown and at his alma mater. He is 34-7 in his first 3 seasons back home, after 19-20 at Pitt. They are 22-4 in regular B1G games.

DC Jim Leonard is back too! He is entering his 3rd season as a coach, 2nd as DC. They play a wicked 3-4.

In 2017, they won 13 straight and 9-0 in B1G for the first time in program history.

In 2016, the lost back to back games at Michigan and against Urban and Ohio State.

In 2015, both games were in Madison, but lost B1G opener to Iowa, then Northwestern finished them off prior to Gopher game, where they now have won 14 straight.

Aug 31 Western Kentucky TBD
Sep 8 New Mexico 12:00-BTN
Sep 15 BYU 3:30
Sep 22 @ Iowa TBD
Oct 6 Nebraska TBD
Oct 13 @ Michigan TBD
Oct 20 Illinois 12:00
Oct 27 @ Northwestern TBD
Nov 3 Rutgers TBD
Nov 10 @ Penn State TBD
Nov 17 @ Purdue TBD
Nov 24 Minnesota TBD
Short answer: NO!

Why are we getting so many threads lately on non Purdue discussions?

I am going to say no though. I hope we beat them this year at Ross Ade. We should have won at Wisconsin last year.

Reactions: 72Boiler
Wisconsin @ Purdue is a key game in the West. The Badgers have won 5 of 7 divisions and 3 of 4 West divisions. I think it is relevant to the season ahead.

Purdue could be the spoiler this season in the Big Ten, with their schedule ahead.

As I look at it, your personal team's schedule doesn't really matter. What matters is how the entire conference does in non-conference games. If your conference does well, and you are the conference champion, you will earn a spot. If your conference fails, then it doesn't really matter what you accomplish by yourself. If UW runs the table and goes 13-0 including the conference championship game, they won't need to worry about their preseason games.

My thoughts are the Big 10 champion should always be included in football's version of the final 4. It looks like UW will play both mich and penn st and possibly OSU in a championship game. If they win all three games, as champion, they should go.

However, I'm not sure UW will beat Nebraska, Iowa or Purdue. Maybe the poster would get better feedback asking this question on the UW board where they can post more positive insight.

do you think that an undefeated purdue team would be selected for the playoffs over a one loss michigan or penn state team

would they bypass the mighty boilers

do you think that an undefeated purdue team would be selected for the playoffs over a one loss michigan or penn state team

would they bypass the mighty boilers

I believe in justice and ethics. If the Boilers were to go undefeated, I believe they would be selected over a 1 loss OSU or Mich team. I was involved in a discussion last year with somebody who claimed his friend or brother was part of the Holiday bowl. he said the Bowls picked the teams. and I provided 3 links that said the BIG 10 Conference had final say over what teams played in each bowl. I have to believe the BIG 10 would do the right thing and send Purdue to the Championship series over a 1 BIG 10 loss team.

the real question would be, would the championship series invite an undefeated Purdue team over a 1 loss Alabama, Oklahoma, USC or Clemson team? Would it be possible if Purdue went undefeated, would the BIG 10 be totally left out and another conference be given 2 teams? if Purdue went undefeated, would they be ranked in the Top 5? and be selected? I would think so. that would mean they have wins over probably 6-7 other bowl teams.

would politics and money be thrown out, and the 4 best deserving teams be selected ? I would hope so.

I believe in justice and ethics. If the Boilers were to go undefeated, I believe they would be selected over a 1 loss OSU or Mich team. I was involved in a discussion last year with somebody who claimed his friend or brother was part of the Holiday bowl. he said the Bowls picked the teams. and I provided 3 links that said the BIG 10 Conference had final say over what teams played in each bowl. I have to believe the BIG 10 would do the right thing and send Purdue to the Championship series over a 1 BIG 10 loss team.

the real question would be, would the championship series invite an undefeated Purdue team over a 1 loss Alabama, Oklahoma, USC or Clemson team? Would it be possible if Purdue went undefeated, would the BIG 10 be totally left out and another conference be given 2 teams? if Purdue went undefeated, would they be ranked in the Top 5? and be selected? I would think so. that would mean they have wins over probably 6-7 other bowl teams.

would politics and money be thrown out, and the 4 best deserving teams be selected ? I would hope so.
It depends on which teams all of these candidates played and beat, doesn’t it? I think an undeafeated Purdue team would be in the playoff without question. We would have beaten some very good teams to be undeafeated.

I provided 3 links that said the BIG 10 Conference had final say over what teams played in each bowl. I have to believe the BIG 10 would do the right thing and send Purdue to the Championship series over a 1 BIG 10 loss team.

Your 2 statements are mutually exclusive. Yes, the conference has some say as to which teams go to the non-title bowl games. The Big 10 does not get to tell the Bowl Committee which of its teams it wants in the Final 4. The committee would (hypothetically) weigh 2 B1G teams the same way it would weigh a B1G team against Alabama or anyone else.

That being said, I also can not foresee a ranking that would have 12-0 Purdue higher than 11-1 Ohio State. But then again, if that were the case, there would be a rematch in the B1G title game, and the winner would get in the Final 4.

That being said, I also can not foresee a ranking that would have 12-0 Purdue higher than 11-1 Ohio State. But then again, if that were the case, there would be a rematch in the B1G title game, and the winner would get in the Final 4.

If Purdue goes 12-0, the likelihood is that we would not play OSU in the BIG 10 championship game.

Am I understanding this correctly.. you think Purdue at 12-0, with a win over OSU and the second hardest schedule in the nation, would be ranked behind Ohio State at 11-1 with a loss to Purdue? Purdue at 12-0 with that roster is a fairytale... but if it were the case, they absolutely would be ranked better than OSU. I guess Purdue to be in the 5 to 8 won range. It all is reliant upon the defense and depth. Purdue's schedule is loaded toss up games.

I don't think Purdue repeats the mistakes from last year. Overall talent should be better. The front seven is the big concern and can the Oline get back to full health. I expect Holt to have his young men ready to go and I hope the dropoff from last year's front seven isn't severe. Replacing that many play makers is never easy and it's even more difficult when the recruit classes have been severely underwhelming. I think there is enough to duct tape and push through so long as the offense progresses like everybody expects.

Get through with 5-8 wins and it's acceptable because of the schedule. Plus the '19 class looks incredible. The kind of class you can make a run at a division championship with for sure with CJB running things. The whole staff is incredible as CJB has done an excellent job of surrounding himself with passionate and intelligent coordinators and position coaches. The social media team has been on point as well. Young football players want to come here and it's such a good feeling!

If Purdue goes 12-0, the likelihood is that we would not play OSU in the BIG 10 championship game.

An 11-1 O$U absolutely. Ohio St would have swept their division and gone 8-1 in conference, winning all the head to heads in their division. Who else would be in the game?

Am I understanding this correctly.. you think Purdue at 12-0, with a win over OSU and the second hardest schedule in the nation, would be ranked behind Ohio State at 11-1 with a loss to Purdue? Purdue at 12-0 with that roster is a fairytale... but if it were the case, they absolutely would be ranked better than OSU. I guess Purdue to be in the 5 to 8 won range. It all is reliant upon the defense and depth. Purdue's schedule is loaded toss up games.

I do, but it would be close. Like 4 vs 5 close. It mostly has to do with their name and where they start the season in the rankings (which make the committee biased).

Just my opinion though. Feel free to disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT