ADVERTISEMENT

Will Robert Phinisee be the next to commit to IU.

All sports are dirty. Most Division 1 players get something. I would bet everything I got that he got something. Don't really care if you agree or not.
All sports are dirty. Most Division 1 players get something. I would bet everything I got that he got something. Don't really care if you agree or not.
Hello there again gold medal is on my mind and I'll be up watching team USA start there quest for a gold medal but reading some of u all reasoning why you think Matt painter missing out on plan A recruits, or in state recruits because you all feel he not doing his job as a recruiter you all who feel that unless you have gone through the process as a parent or recruit you all have no idea why a kid or his parents will choose another school over purdue so many many reasons. I'll share a little why my son and I chose purdue over many schools who were heavily recruiting my son who by the way from the state of Illinois. My son wanted to leave the state all together yes illinois was recruiting him but he created a bond with the team and painter was there Day 1 after he offered him and when my son got hurt he was still there showing up to games, calling him giving him advice and explaining to my son how the coaching staff can help him develop his game to help him get to the next level never making any promises either. Bottom there is a tone of reasons why kids and there parents chooses other school than purdue, playing time the name of the school, playing for there state school etc, but Matt painter can't force them to commit like he did not with my son, my son chose purdue because it was close to home, staff made him a priority, the team show him much much love and he felt a bond with the team period. It's not an easy decision trust me, but in the end my felt in his gut this was the school for him. Great school academically and playing in 1 of the top conferences in college basketball. So be patient people it's August loosing out a few recruits truly not the end of the world. Matt don't make promises like many school do than you get there and those promises they made to you are not met and now the parent and kid are unhappy because they did not choose the school that best fit who they are as a player rather picking a school because of the name on the chest of the uniform we did not. Matt painter cannot and I quote cannot make a kid commit all he can do is sell the program like he sold on us than it's up to the kid to no if it's right for him. Don't blame painter for hits and misses he didn't miss on mine and my son signed last day of signing period middle of November. Let's enjoy the team that's there because I think this team is gonna be better than what people think but it's August still time to get recruits who wanna be here. Boiler up let's root for the team we have now because no one can control what recruits will do in August.

You believe he would have chosen you over IU when they have owned you lately?

You owned us when you squeaked out a two point win at home last year? Lol. But hey congrats on beating us 4 times in a row for the second time ever in the history of the series. I believe Purdue has accomplished that feat a whopping 9 times. This streak happened to occur during Purdue's worst 4 year stretch ever so congrats on a little streak during the worst stretch ever of Purdue football.

You owned us when you squeaked out a two point win at home last year? Lol. But hey congrats on beating us 4 times in a row for the second time ever in the history of the series. I believe Purdue has accomplished that feat a whopping 9 times. This streak happened to occur during Purdue's worst 4 year stretch ever so congrats on a little streak during the worst stretch ever of Purdue football.
Ok. Is it not what has happened lately?

Make a claim like that...better back it up. I'm not saying it doesn't happen (I have good evidence from a D1 coach I know personally who believes Davis got lots of cash to go to U.K.)...but to make a claim that most players get something is dumb.

No where near the ledge. So enjoying the life that I have. I'm more disappointed that we lose Anderson to IU than Phinisee. Anderson would be a great fit with playing time probably waiting for him as VE leaves too.

You are just sore cus you are still misinformed after being on this board for 14 years. FYI, I've been reading this board much longer just didn't register and post.

Anderson was no doubt a top recruit for us. Phinisee was a high priority recruit and he being from Lafayette stings no matter how you want to spin it.
Sorry, I am not a "settler". I want better players than Phinisee on the team. He was in no way a priority recruit.

As for how long you have been reading this board... well, all I can is that you appear to have gained little or no benefit from you long years of working your eyeballs. Got to get that grey matter involved! :cool:

Hey ACE, if I were an IU fan, I would be over here bragging about getting Anderson, so maybe I can understand why you are here. He was a priority for us, but you beat us out. Being an IU fan, I would be so full of insecurity and animosity that I just could not resist posting crap over here. However, Phinisee is another story. He is a nice player, but I don’t think he is going to be an impact player for IU. Maybe he will prove me wrong.

I feel sorry for those that come here from peegs. They have nothing more to live for. If posting here keeps them from getting depressed and gives them something to live for. Then I guess we should listen to their garbage. No one in their personal life will.

Phinisee can't shoot, doesn't possess elite speed/quickness and is small for a point. Have been saying for a while that I didn't want him (go back and look at my posts, IU trolls). Again, if Phinisee was from Georgia, no one would give a crap.

No where near the ledge. So enjoying the life that I have. I'm more disappointed that we lose Anderson to IU than Phinisee. Anderson would be a great fit with playing time probably waiting for him as VE leaves too.

You are just sore cus you are still misinformed after being on this board for 14 years. FYI, I've been reading this board much longer just didn't register and post.

Anderson was no doubt a top recruit for us. Phinisee was a high priority recruit and he being from Lafayette stings no matter how you want to spin it.
Sorry, I am not a "settler". I want better players than Phinisee on the team. He was in no way a priority recruit.

As for how long you have been reading this board... well, all I can is that you appear to have gained little or no benefit from you long years of working your eyeballs. Got to get that grey matter involved! :cool:
So taking 3 unranked 3 stars in the 2017 class isn't settling but taking a 4 star Indiana All Star in your own back yard would be settling? Interesting take.

Rather you think Phinisee is a priority recruit doesn't really matter, the fact that a 4* player from your hometown Lafayette chose our most hated rival IU (backwater, lower tier rated academic institution) over Purdue stings.

They are grabbing our recruits like Anderson & Phinisee from areas where we are traditionally strong. Kinda like you had your mind made up that we had the 2nd rated recruiting class in 2017 in the B1G make you look foolish & misinformed. Take your own advise and use that grey matter.

Rather you think Phinisee is a priority recruit doesn't really matter, the fact that a 4* player from your hometown Lafayette chose our most hated rival IU (backwater, lower tier rated academic institution) over Purdue stings.

They are grabbing our recruits like Anderson & Phinisee from areas where we are traditionally strong. Kinda like you had your mind made up that we had the 2nd rated recruiting class in 2017 in the B1G make you look foolish & misinformed. Take your own advise and use that grey matter.
28e8f8f075b3a1f4f1fc4a0e4e52926b.jpg

I think Phinisee is going to have NO CHANCE guarding Eastern.

I would also like to point out that Eastern and his size would shut him down on offense as well. They listed him at 6'1, but from all I have heard it is more like 5'10-5'11. He would be giving up a lot of height. Eastern has also looked very good, as everybody has expected. There were some turnovers, but as the rules change back to NCAA rules those will go way down.

Next year will be Eastern, Carsen, Wheeler, Williams, Taylor (if he comes back). Purdue has a solid building block of young guys to move forward and next years team is going to be very fun, even with the loss of all of those seniors. There will be a much faster tempo which is attractive to recruits.

I expect nothing short of a 1-3 finish in Big and at least a sweet 16. Next year has the base to make a very similar run. There is a chance to finish three straight years with at least a sweet 16 and a 1-3 finish in the Big. Add in Painters ability to develop players and a premium education and Purdue is in a very nice place.

Carsen and Eastern will be stars. Wheeler and Williams have all the makings as well. I still think Painter will grab somebody late in the process that ends up being a great player like Wheeler and be a good piece.

As for the '19 class I really like Isaiah Thompson and Jackson-Davis. I think Jackson-Davis is an IU lean right now, but there is a whole season to show him that there is no better school for big men. I would love to see Haas have a monster year and get drafted round 1, Vince to go round 1, and then have a big year for Taylor. There are other players as well that would be a good fit. We can't get them all. As hard as Painter is working for these kids, so is every other coach. If Painter can continue to build on last years success, great things will happen. Painter needs to continue to target players who place a high value on education and players that truly want to win. It's still early, and I think we will find at least two more players in this class that fit what we need. We could use a wing and a versatile player that can back up 1-3 if need be. Ahrens and Hunter are both great options as well as THT. Once Purdue grabs the gold, Painter can turn his attention back to recruiting.

Reactions: Roeder and BBG
I would also like to point out that Eastern and his size would shut him down on offense as well. They listed him at 6'1, but from all I have heard it is more like 5'10-5'11. He would be giving up a lot of height. Eastern has also looked very good, as everybody has expected. There were some turnovers, but as the rules change back to NCAA rules those will go way down.

Next year will be Eastern, Carsen, Wheeler, Williams, Taylor (if he comes back). Purdue has a solid building block of young guys to move forward and next years team is going to be very fun, even with the loss of all of those seniors. There will be a much faster tempo which is attractive to recruits.

I expect nothing short of a 1-3 finish in Big and at least a sweet 16. Next year has the base to make a very similar run. There is a chance to finish three straight years with at least a sweet 16 and a 1-3 finish in the Big. Add in Painters ability to develop players and a premium education and Purdue is in a very nice place.

Carsen and Eastern will be stars. Wheeler and Williams have all the makings as well. I still think Painter will grab somebody late in the process that ends up being a great player like Wheeler and be a good piece.

As for the '19 class I really like Isaiah Thompson and Jackson-Davis. I think Jackson-Davis is an IU lean right now, but there is a whole season to show him that there is no better school for big men. I would love to see Haas have a monster year and get drafted round 1, Vince to go round 1, and then have a big year for Taylor. There are other players as well that would be a good fit. We can't get them all. As hard as Painter is working for these kids, so is every other coach. If Painter can continue to build on last years success, great things will happen. Painter needs to continue to target players who place a high value on education and players that truly want to win. It's still early, and I think we will find at least two more players in this class that fit what we need. We could use a wing and a versatile player that can back up 1-3 if need be. Ahrens and Hunter are both great options as well as THT. Once Purdue grabs the gold, Painter can turn his attention back to recruiting.
Great assessment and reason to not jump off the ledge. Considering who we have on the roster now and going forward, Robert appears to be not a player we need and would probably be a wasted scholarship.

The funny thing about this helter-skelter forum is that every year we have threads like these. Yet more often that not, we still end up winning a lot of games. So for me I will wait and see what happens and worry about recruits if we revert to the dark years and rely on Painter's proven track record of finding good talent that actually fit what we NEED and not what people WANT (which are often not the same thing).

Reactions: Roeder
Lol these iu guys are hilarious! They grab 4 role players and are beating their chests on a teams board who is the reigning big ten champ and representing the USA currently.

Then they wonder why we call them little brother . Get a life lol

Not to mention Archie was like option e of a long list. But hey they just grabbed coach k

Reactions: Roeder and BBG
I'll jump in briefly without "beating my chest."

For 2018 there are three composite-ranking top 100 players coming out of the state of Indiana. Both of the two that already committed are committed to IU, and IU has a pretty strong shot at the third.

This doesn't equate to any guarantees of success for IU, and it certainly doesn't equate to any lack of success for Purdue, but for IU it is unquestionably really good news, especially in the light of Crean's near complete in-state failure over the past four years.

For 2018 there are three composite-ranking top 100 players coming out of the state of Indiana. Both of the two that already committed are committed to IU, and IU has a pretty strong shot at the third.

This doesn't equate to any guarantees of success for IU, and it certainly doesn't equate to any lack of success for Purdue, but for IU it is unquestionably really good news, especially in the light of Crean's near complete in-state failure over the past four years.

There's no denying it, however some of your buddies have insecurity issues. Or no lifes

Reactions: Dakota Girl

You have entirely too much common sense for an IU fan ;).

You are literally the only Purdue fan that will struggle to sleep tonight because of this news.

False narrative because you have no real counter point. If you had one, you'd post it instead of me being the subject. I sleep fine. I'm not jumping off of a ledge. Your comment is ridiculous. RP going to IU sucks. Period. It's just logic. Not emotion, like your commentary. Just logic and reason. You don't want your most hated rival, coming in your yard and taking a player you offered to. If Painter didn't want him, he should have just not offered. But, he did....so.....he did. A new coach from our rival got him. That sucks. The sky isn't falling. I'm not in a closet with a razor. Not standing on a chair with a noose around my neck. IU getting him sucks. It just is what it is.

You have entirely too much common sense for an IU fan ;).
Sweet! Complement me in a way that if I agree with the complement I trash IU fans ;)
Let's just say I try to have more sense than the IU trolls you guys see here.

Reactions: BBG

Ditto that. IU going 0-21 on top 50s in 2017 was a killer for Crean. And I agree that this is a "solid" but not yet spectacular start for Miller recruiting, it's interesting to note his class now is better than both his brothers and his mentor Matta's in their first years on the big stage. Both Sean and Thad had killer classes the next go round. 2019 class would seem to be where you can tell if Archie is going to be one of those heavy hitters. He's in on about a dozen studs this far, but remains to be seen if he will close.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
Ditto that. IU going 0-21 on top 50s in 2017 was a killer for Crean. And I agree that this is a "solid" but not yet spectacular start for Miller recruiting, it's interesting to note his class now is better than both his brothers and his mentor Matta's in their first years on the big stage. Both Sean and Thad had killer classes the next go round. 2019 class would seem to be where you can tell if Archie is going to be one of those heavy hitters. He's in on about a dozen studs this far, but remains to be seen if he will close.

Did Crean really go 0-21 ?? LOL

Reactions: iu-in-philly
Who really knows. He "buck-shot" offers to so, so many high end kids, and he sealed the deal with far, far too few.

In my opinion, what was considerably more problematic was that in the past four years, there were a total of 20 composite top 100 kids from the state of Indiana, and Crean got one; Blackmon.

Archie has exceeded that in a few months.

Sadly yes. It was like a slow bleeding all summer watching all 21 targets unanimously go elsewhere. The logic had set in "I don't care if we miss on 20 as long as we get Wilkes". Once Wilkes went for UCLA, it was curtains. IU did recover well and got Cliff Moore, but it was clear to all but the blind that Crean's recruiting was in tatters.

No, he's not Biggie. no he's not JJJ no, he's not even LeBron. but he was one of our top 5 targets at guard, and he was as good as the other guard targets we were recruiting. and the fact remains, we haven't signed any guards yet, and our targets keep going elsewhere. it appears we have 1-2 of our to p targets left.

Sure, we have Eastern and C Edwards and Cline and Sasha next year. but it sure would be nice to have a Hunter, Carmody , Embery or Phinisee backing them up. I hear a lot of talk about Isiah being almost a lock and out top target for 2019. What's ironic is that I heard that same talk about a lot of previous players from prior years. Harris was a legacy. no way would he sign elsewhere. JJJ will fit in the hole left by Swanigan. he's a sure thing. Epperson loved Purdue and was about to sign during the early signing period , then at the last minute decided to wait and then signed elsewhere. Zach Randolph was going to sign with Purdue, but we didn't wan t to sign his buddy, so he went to MSU as a package deal. the list goes on and on and on.

if a person wanted to, he could be really negative about all the posts made about sure things that signed elsewhere. I don't blame painter for missing out. I blame the media sites like this and posters here for getting our hopes up when the player was really never interested. it's time we were honest with ourselves. Is Langford actually interested in Purdue, or do we just hope he is? is Painter really interested in Trapp, or is he just listed to fill web site database space? of all those players listed as warm or warmer, are they actually interested?

Painter's 2017 class came nowhere near what posters here predicted it would be or should be. it was a good class. it could have been better. it could have been far worse if eastern went to MSU. is the sky falling? No. maybe a couple of ceiling tiles.

I leave it to painter to give his best efforts and sign who he can, And when he does, I'll give my honest opinion. unlike many of you, I don't follow Indiana or AAU basketball very closely anymore. And I value national opinions rather than local ones.

one thing I do know. We have 4 scholarships we can give out. And looking at our offers and targets, the pickings are getting thin. Rather than crying about who we lost, we need to close in on who is still left. if we like Dow, and Hunter, and they like us, let's get it done. if they don't like us, it's time to move on.

But let's not say good riddance to a talented player, and say we'll do a lot better in 2019. What I don't want to happen is to give 4 scholarships to mediocre players. It's time to hit the recruiting trail. it's time for our assistant coaches to earn their money.
I was with you until you implied that the staff is not working to earn their pay. You have no idea one way or the other.

Reactions: BBG
I wonder why Butler was not in the mix more after Holtmann left. I can see IU over recruiting him in the next couple of years.

Butler has the Big East media centers working for them which means that they will get plenty of national exposure for their program. They will be fine as they have a solid program.

Rob is a good recruit, but to assume he is a star or much less was a Purdue priority is nonsense. We have a PG for most likely 4 years, even though I have never been a fan of a player that will be your primary scorer and your primary ball handler. I personally believe teams that have a true PG and a true Scorer are better off.

False narrative because you have no real counter point. If you had one, you'd post it instead of me being the subject. I sleep fine. I'm not jumping off of a ledge. Your comment is ridiculous. RP going to IU sucks. Period. It's just logic. Not emotion, like your commentary. Just logic and reason. You don't want your most hated rival, coming in your yard and taking a player you offered to. If Painter didn't want him, he should have just not offered. But, he did....so.....he did. A new coach from our rival got him. That sucks. The sky isn't falling. I'm not in a closet with a razor. Not standing on a chair with a noose around my neck. IU getting him sucks. It just is what it is.
He didn't want to come to Purdue. Plain and simple.

Again you are the only person who can't comprehend this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT