ADVERTISEMENT

Who here expected to beat Michigan?

Seriously folks. Really? The only reason this tea is ranked 7th is because ESPN is at war with the BIG. It should be higher. The outcome is no surprise to me. We are what we are, a good team but not a great team.

Didn't expect to get blown out the entire game. This is loss #3 against good teams. No signature wins at this point. I expected at least one win against those 3 teams.

I expected a tighter game for sure. I feel like the adjustments that needed to be made after the FSU loss weren’t.

Painter and crew need to get Carsen to slow it down and create as much as he scores. He can and will get his but if he isn’t facilitating he is killing us.

Seriously folks. Really? The only reason this team is ranked 7th is because ESPN is at war with the BIG. It should be higher. The outcome is no surprise to me. We are what we are, a good team but not a great team.
You are 100% correct. However, I would have liked a more competitive game and feel that we could have played better.

Why play the game if you don't expect to win? You're headed down the path of having a loser's mentality....."Well, we didn't expect to win so it's ok that we lost."

Reactions: DAG10
Look what this team lost from last season. Really. 50pts and 20+ boards. It might take a while to figure it out......which is what most fans expected, or at least they said that. Early on losing to these caliber teams doesn't surprise me...…...and hell, PU got robbed in V. Tech game. Sure PU could have played better, you can always say that.

Why play the game if you don't expect to win? You're headed down the path of having a loser's mentality....."Well, we didn't expect to win so it's ok that we lost."
I wanted to win but the rational thinker in me knew it was unlikely. I am sure as hell that I will not over analyze this loss like some. The rational person in me knew we did not have the horses this year to win this game baring the unexpected.

Reactions: buffboiler and BBG
Look what this team lost from last season. Really. 50pts and 20+ boards. It might take a while to figure it out......which is what most fans expected, or at least they said that. Early on losing to these caliber teams doesn't surprise me...…...and hell, PU got robbed in V. Tech game. Sure PU could have played better, you can always say that.
In the offseason when I pointed out that we were going to struggle because we lost a lot, and we didnt have a good recruiting class I got blasted (probably by you as well).

Now that we are struggling your tune changes from "we lose a lot every year, and are always good, and this year will be no different" to "well we lost a lot, of course we are going to be bad".

I guess I was actually right in the offseason.

When does football season start? ;)

Still goin....

giphy.gif

Reactions: purduepat1969
Would we be a better team if Carsen went back to being a scorer, and Nojel was the guy creating and running the offense? A Pag doesn't need to score to run the show. Look at PJ last year.

Really constructive. Don't like someone's opinion, so they should just 'go away'. How about some content in your replies that display some logic?

Pat, the next time that you use solid logic rather than playing games to prove you’re right will be the first. When one poster chides another for a loser’s mentality they should go away, they are adding no value.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBG
In the offseason when I pointed out that we were going to struggle because we lost a lot, and we didnt have a good recruiting class I got blasted (probably by you as well).

Now that we are struggling your tune changes from "we lose a lot every year, and are always good, and this year will be no different" to "well we lost a lot, of course we are going to be bad".

I guess I was actually right in the offseason.

Do you know if I blasted you? That's a hell of an assumption. I'm sure I was positive about the team's chances, etc. That's being a fan.
How about you? You say you knew all this would happen, and yet you are on here bashing like you never seen it coming. See how that works.

Reactions: BBG
Rational thinking doesn't allow weaker team to beat stronger team, think about it. First, you have to think you can beat everybody if you want to be a winner, that's how team (we haven't heard about) go to final 4.

I recommend this book
Amazon product ASIN B00DDXM9G4

Last edited:
Do you know if I blasted you? That's a hell of an assumption. I'm sure I was positive about the team's chances, etc. That's being a fan.
How about you? You say you knew all this would happen, and yet you are on here bashing like you never seen it coming. See how that works.
Many of us saw it coming. We got blasted for our comments all offseason. We were right! Why are we here now? Because now maybe some of the homers will realize that we do not have enough talent on this team to compete at a high level. Maybe now some will realize recruiting has to be better than it is.

Many of us saw it coming. We got blasted for our comments all offseason. We were right! Why are we here now? Because now maybe some of the homers will realize that we do not have enough talent on this team to compete at a high level. Maybe now some will realize recruiting has to be better than it is.

I think everyone knew that PU would be taking a hit this year. Most agreed that it would take a while...…and given who they have played early, it isn't fair to trash everything PU just yet. Those with agendas relish PU losses. Coming on this site and calling players and coaches out. That is just sad. Recruiting could always be better, nothing new there. Boiler Up!

Seriously folks. Really? The only reason this team is ranked 7th is because ESPN is at war with the BIG. It should be higher. The outcome is no surprise to me. We are what we are, a good team but not a great team.
Maybe not win, but I thought we might at least be in the game.

I think everyone knew that PU would be taking a hit this year. Most agreed that it would take a while...…and given who they have played early, it isn't fair to trash everything PU just yet. Those with agendas relish PU losses. Coming on this site and calling players and coaches out. That is just sad. Recruiting could always be better, nothing new there. Boiler Up!
All of us would much rather Purdue be undefeated right now. We arent because we arent talented enough. That falls on painter and the assistants. I'm not ready for Painter to be fired, but if he continues to flop on the recruiting trail, I think his seat should be getting very warm.

All of us would much rather Purdue be undefeated right now. We arent because we arent talented enough. That falls on painter and the assistants. I'm not ready for Painter to be fired, but if he continues to flop on the recruiting trail, I think his seat should be getting very warm.
Fair enough. We have to let it play out. As far as recruiting goes...…..I can't even pretend to know how that dirty, dirty business runs.

Expecting unrealistic outcomes breeds anger when they aren't met (See basically every thread after a L) ..Wanting to win and expecting to win are completely different. Of course we want Purdue to win every game, but if they step out on that court with Gonzaga/Duke you expect us to win? Hell no. We want our guys to give 100%, and if they don't that's a different story.

Reactions: northside100
It was very clear from the opening tip that Purdue/Painter shared your sentiment as they certainly had no expectation at all of winning that game.

This ^^^. If someone can convince me Gonzaga, a small Jesuit school, is dirty in their recruiting, then I'll accept Painter's results and move on. Otherwise, I'll consider his recruiting to be underwhelming based his pay.
Somewhat OT, but is Xavier a small Jesuit school too?

I don't expect to get burned on high pick and roll over and over. Created mismatches over and over.

I really don't know who all the schools are that represent the rest of the iceberg. I wouldn't say it is impossible for a small Jesuit school to be implicated in some form.
Good Lord we are already trotting out the everybody else is a dirty recruiter excuse? And ESPN is at war with the Big Ten??? Yikes, it could be a long season

Expecting unrealistic outcomes breeds anger when they aren't met (See basically every thread after a L) ..Wanting to win and expecting to win are completely different. Of course we want Purdue to win every game, but if they step out on that court with Gonzaga/Duke you expect us to win? Hell no. We want our guys to give 100%, and if they don't that's a different story.
WRONG! You should expect Purdue to win every game. The difference is how competitive the game is and how you take the loss. If Purdue loses a close game to Duke, I wouldn't be too upset. A blowout to Duke or a loss to underrated team are different. Look at how Brohm approaches each and every game. He expects every game to be competitive and to have a chance to win. That's part of what makes Brohm special and why Purdue was able to beat a #2 ranked OSU. Come on people. Stop accepting mediocre basketball from Painter.

This team needs to find their identity.

It can’t be 4 guys setting ball screens and pick and roll for Carsen as he shoots 20-30 shots a game.

Carsen can break down any defense in the country and he has shown that against FSU and Michigan. He needs to use that ability to kick to open teammates and cycle back for a better shot.

One thing I noticed the most this team has too much of - selfishness. Too many times we have people trying to do it all themselves. We used to be good at passing up a shot and making one more pass. Don’t see that enough. With young guys in the game, one extra pass could set them up with a cleaner look for a shot.

Ok. Onto the next one.

WRONG! You should expect Purdue to win every game. The difference is how competitive the game is and how you take the loss. If Purdue loses a close game to Duke, I wouldn't be too upset. A blowout to Duke or a loss to underrated team are different. Look at how Brohm approaches each and every game. He expects every game to be competitive and to have a chance to win. That's part of what makes Brohm special and why Purdue was able to beat a #2 ranked OSU. Come on people. Stop accepting mediocre basketball from Painter.

I don't think what a fan expects, or doesn't expect, has any bearing on whether a player or coach expectations to win. I'm sure CMP expected a competitive game today. As I'm sure UNC and Villanova did as well. Or were those coaches accepting mediocracy?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT