ADVERTISEMENT

What do you guys think about Tayson Parker?

Jan 18, 2017
He plays for my old high school, and just wondering your thoughts on him. From what he has said in the past, he’d sign with Purdue in a heartbeat if you wanted him. He’s scored 1,000 points in about 1 1/2 years of high school ball and I think he’d do a good job as a role player coming off the bench. On the girls’ side, if Madison Layden, who plays at the same school as Parker and has committed to Purdue, is half as good in college as she has been in high school, I think you’ll be pretty happy with her.

Haven't seen him play, but from the sounds of it, really good high school player and athlete, but overall game lacking for P5 level where he isn't going to be able get by on just athleticism, especially at his height. Needs to develop an outside shot as it seems most of his points come in close to the bucket. Have heard there are questions with his ball handling too with regard to transitioning to the P5 level. At this point, really sounds like a very interesting walk-on prospect.

That said, I'd love to see the kid succeed and wouldn't be upset if Painter took a flier on him as there is some potential and ability there.

I think he’d do a good job as a role player coming off the bench
I believe that you are right. The problem might be that there may not be a scholarship available for him. Maybe he would be willing to walk-on until one is available. I know that his dream is to play for Purdue and it would be a shame if he didn't get that opportunity. Maybe something will open up.

He plays for my old high school, and just wondering your thoughts on him. From what he has said in the past, he’d sign with Purdue in a heartbeat if you wanted him. He’s scored 1,000 points in about 1 1/2 years of high school ball and I think he’d do a good job as a role player coming off the bench. On the girls’ side, if Madison Layden, who plays at the same school as Parker and has committed to Purdue, is half as good in college as she has been in high school, I think you’ll be pretty happy with her.
so a 1983 NW graduate or a 83 IU graduate? The woman all the way to the right in my avatar was a NW 83 graduate. Trying to think of your blond headed bball coach then? Madison wants to do Pharmacy and so I expect no matter what happens in WBB...she remains a Boiler

Last edited:
Did larry Bird play for Carmel? Not.....French Lick which played in one of the Toughest conferences in the State.
Would one give me this Kids Stats...Measurements
I Think we have had a lot of Under 6' Point Guards
Lew Jack?????, Thompsom?????? were Giants.

Give the kid a chance.......

I can’t even find a Rivals or 247 profile on him. Maybe I’m dumb and/or blind, but that seems very telling to me.

I can’t even find a Rivals or 247 profile on him. Maybe I’m dumb and/or blind, but that seems very telling to me.
I thought I had seen one on him on 247 before, and am pretty sure there’s one on him on MaxPreps (not sure how up to date that one is.)

He is not a point. No handles. He is a 5'10" two guard. Evansville or Indiana state would be good places for him, unless he would walk on at Purdue.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
I know this is the outlier
Kemba Walker is 5'10" and made the NBA All star game as a point guard this year.

Kemba is a decent comp to Carsen.

(I haven't seen TP play)

I have not watched him play, but I've heard from some West Lafayette ballers that his ceiling in track & field may be higher than basketball. Potentially an elite long-jumper?

I know this is the outlier
Kemba Walker is 5'10" and made the NBA All star game as a point guard this year.

Kemba is a decent comp to Carsen.

(I haven't seen TP play)
I don't think there has ever been a concern about Tayson's height. I think the scholly's are filled, but would love to see him as a preferred walk on with a scholly down the road if earned. I understand him to be a great kid that loves Purdue...THAT is two rights!

I have not watched him play, but I've heard from some West Lafayette ballers that his ceiling in track & field may be higher than basketball. Potentially an elite long-jumper?
I would not be surprised with that assessment. He is a jumper!

so a 1983 NW graduate or a 83 IU graduate? The woman all the way to the right in my avatar was a NW 83 graduate. Trying to think of your blond headed bball coach then? Madison wants to do Pharmacy and so I expect no matter what happens in WBB...she remains a Boiler
Born in ‘83, the name “jayhoosier” was already taken. I graduated from NWHS in 2002 and was a high school teammate of Austin Parkinson for a couple of years. It might Jim Yeakel you’re thinking of, I think he started coaching there sometime in the ‘80s.

Born in ‘83, the name “jayhoosier” was already taken. I graduated from NWHS in 2002 and was a high school teammate of Austin Parkinson for a couple of years. It might Jim Yeakel you’re thinking of, I think he started coaching there sometime in the ‘80s.
No, I talked with Jim some about how Northwestern ran Flex...more congested than my approach. I played some ball against Jim's son that played college somewhere...physical player...and scouted Jim's first team at Tipton and came away with him being a disciplinarian. Took Austin as a 6th grader and a few 7th graders and won the 8th grade tourney when Eastern invited schools with 8th graders to play in their league. The lady to the right in my picture is Mark Fernandes sister..who I know you must know.

No, the guy I'm trying to recall coached maybe two years as their varsity coach and the name is escaping me. He later went to work in Delco HR. Anyway, trying to think that when Austin was a soph...NW was the best? Dustin Smith (dad coached JV at Taylor), Dwayne Ewing are two others I knew a bit. Anyway, the late 70s/early 80s NW was good and then the class above you or two classes above you were good as I recall. Coach of hte late 70's/early 80s left NW for (Wayne Allen) Muncie Central. Anyway, I had kids around that age and so I worked with a few that age as well.

Last edited:
No, I talked with Jim some about how Northwestern ran Flex...more congested than my approach. I played some ball against Jim's son that played college somewhere...physical player...and scouted Jim's first team at Tipton and came away with him being a disciplinarian. Took Austin as a 6th grader and a few 7th graders and won the 8th grade tourney when Eastern invited schools with 8th graders to play in their league. The lady to the right in my picture is Mark Fernandes sister..who I know you must know.

No, the guy I'm trying to recall coached maybe two years as their varsity coach and the name is escaping me. He later went to work in Delco HR. Anyway, trying to think that when Austin was a soph...NW was the best? Dustin Smith (dad coached JV at Taylor), Dwayne Ewing are two others I knew a bit. Anyway, the late 70s/early 80s NW was good and then the class above you or two classes above you were good as I recall. Coach of hte late 70's/early 80s left NW for Muncie Central. Anyway, I had kids around that age and so I worked with a few that age as well.
Yeah, the teams of the late 90s-early 2000s had some good players. It’s too bad Dustin broke his ankle in the morning game of the semistate (back when there were two games) in ‘98. Had that not happened, Northwestern could have won state that year and had 2 boys basketball state titles now instead of just the one from 2007.

Reactions: tjreese
Did larry Bird play for Carmel? Not.....French Lick which played in one of the Toughest conferences in the State.

I played in the same conference as Bird at Mitchell. Not much competition to speak of.

Love Tayson’s athleticism. Nuf said. Give the young man a spot on the team...if no scholie is available, a preferred walk on usually earns the scholarship like Grady Eiffert is getting now.

Reactions: chaspark
I think Tayson Parker's athleticism is exceptional. Having said that, I think he is trying to do too much on his own. Purdue is a motion offense team. We pass the ball around first. He needs to show that he can control the game's tempo instead of stepping on the gas all the time. His skill set is good enough; he just forces it way too often. It works now because he is in high school; that won't work in the B1G and it is a hard habit to break.

Love Tayson’s athleticism. Nuf said. Give the young man a spot on the team...if no scholie is available, a preferred walk on usually earns the scholarship like Grady Eiffert is getting now.
Relative to athleticism and nothing more...Tayson jumps out of the gym, but doesn't have elite quickness...as a qualifier to the word athleticism

I think Tayson Parker's athleticism is exceptional. Having said that, I think he is trying to do too much on his own. Purdue is a motion offense team. We pass the ball around first. He needs to show that he can control the game's tempo instead of stepping on the gas all the time. His skill set is good enough; he just forces it way too often. It works now because he is in high school; that won't work in the B1G and it is a hard habit to break.
I think he has kind of scaled it back this year, last year was his “coming out party” and he was trying to show what he could do in his first year of “organized” basketball. If you looked at the box score of last year’s games, you’d see Parker had 30 points and the next highest scorer on the team had 8 points. I don’t know if Gish (NW’s coach) told him he didn’t have to do everything himself or if he figured it out on his own, but the team’s record has reflected it this year. Last year, Northwestern was 15-8 and lost to schools that were as good or better than them, this year they are 19-2 and spent some time as the #1 team in 3A. I think he could do well as a “drive and dish” type guard in college.

Last edited:
Good for him... I still wish he would walk on Purdue instead as I’m not a fan of having guys on our roster who aren’t even remotely close to D1 players... mostly from a practice standpoint

Reactions: Boilermaker24

Lewjack couldn't shoot a jumper and Thompson, who could hit an open 3, struggled to get his own shot or create for others.

Purdue is not a 'pass 3 times before you shoot' offense. You take the open shot when it's there. How many time did CE or Cline launch a 3 early in the shot clock? If it's an open look, it doesn't matter when you take it because you might not get a better look.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
It seems like also being able to join the track team played a part in his decision. I guess he did pretty well at the state finals last month

It seems like also being able to join the track team played a part in his decision. I guess he did pretty well at the state finals last month
Ok, it more than just “seems” like joining the track team played a role in his decision, he actually said it did in the article I read

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT