ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Painter opens up about coaching ahead of Sweet Sixteen

Casey Bartley

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 25, 2022
I asked a question about coaching and Matt Painter opened up about what he tells guys, what he feels, what it's like, and the story sits heavy as March consequences loom around every outcome. It's worth a read, I think.

"It's rewarding," Painter said to me after the game when I asked him about what it means to be in a tournament that has former assistants of his as head coaches, former players as assistants. "I say that kind of tongue in cheek, but I do try to stop players from trying to go into coaching. I always say just have a hell of a life, get a job, get Colts tickets and enjoy yourself."

"Why put yourself - people don't understand like if you're 25 and 5, you're miserable those five times. You're absolutely miserable."

"It sits on you. The people around you that you love, you're not fun to be around. No one enjoys it. Your kids looks at you like what the hell's his problem? Well, Michigan State beat us by two. That's doesn't make any sense. Why would you be mad? You know what I mean? But you are. That's the way it is. You live with it, and you kind of have a one track mind."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT