ADVERTISEMENT

What do we know about Cincy?

GemstateBoiler

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2006
I saw them play a few months ago and they didn't play well. Obviously, like us they have stepped it up.

You beat me to it. I haven't seen Cincy play this year & was wondering the same thing. A quick look at stats seems to reveal similar teams.

-Both have balanced scoring attacks. Cincy's 2 leading scorers are at 10.0 & 9.5 ppg. PU's are at 11.8 & 10.9. Both have 6 guys averaging 6 ppg or more.
-Both teams shot exactly the same from the field: 45.3%. PU is at 33.5% from 3pt & Cincy is at 33.3%. PU did make almost 90 more 3pts.
-Both are good in terms of FG% defense. Cincy ranked 22nd in the nation at 39% while PU was at 55th in the nation at 40.1%
-Cincy is lead in scoring by it's big man (6'10").
-PU scores a little more than Cincy.
-Cincy's scoring margin is a little better than PU's (+7.1 vs +5.4)

-Purdue is 2-1 as a #9 seed. Cincy is 0-2 as a #8 seed. (according to wiki pages)

It was the VCU game I saw and it was their one really bad 21 pt loss. They play a lot of players 10-11 players over 8 minutes per game. Not real big, but two guys 6'10", one is their leading scorer, Ellis. They don't shoot 3 pointers well but 45% on all shots. They must slow it down since they only average 62 points/game.

Originally posted by 02Boilermaker:
You beat me to it. I haven't seen Cincy play this year & was wondering the same thing. A quick look at stats seems to reveal similar teams.

-Both have balanced scoring attacks. Cincy's 2 leading scorers are at 10.0 & 9.5 ppg. PU's are at 11.8 & 10.9. Both have 6 guys averaging 6 ppg or more.
-Both teams shot exactly the same from the field: 45.3%. PU is at 33.5% from 3pt & Cincy is at 33.3%. PU did make almost 90 more 3pts.
-Both are good in terms of FG% defense. Cincy ranked 22nd in the nation at 39% while PU was at 55th in the nation at 40.1%
-Cincy is lead in scoring by it's big man (6'10").
-PU scores a little more than Cincy.
-Cincy's scoring margin is a little better than PU's (+7.1 vs +5.4)

-Purdue is 2-1 as a #9 seed. Cincy is 0-2 as a #8 seed. (according to wiki pages)
Thanks for the numbers.

Going to be a tough, physical match-up.

It's worrying me already that everyone seems to be talking about Purdue/Kentucky - first on CBS, now ESPN.

I prefer the underdog role.

Grew up in Cincy and follow the basketball program very closely. Little bit about each of there guys...

PG Troy Caupain- Best shooter on the team often times doesn't realize how good he can be. Solid defensively, but never know what you are going to get with him on the offensive end. Gets to the rim pretty well with good body control and ability to finish. One of the three most important players on the team.

SG Farad Cobb- Small guard who is very streaky. If he gets hot he can go out and get 25, doesn't drive often but displays a pretty good floater when he gets into the lane. Defensively he's pretty good (as is most of the team).

SF Shaq Thomas- 6'8 and can jump out of the gym. He is the wild card of the team, has played better of late but you really have no clue what he will bring from game to game. Great at attacking the basket but not a threat from outside at all, at his best when he's attacking the rim and going hard on the glass. Defensively he is okay, makes up for being out of position with athleticism.

PF Gary Clark- Young kid but is going to be very good, has a solid back to the basket game, you wont see him take many face up jumpers, play off of him and make him shoot. Great rebounder, solid defender. This kid is just solid, isn't flashy at anything, but pretty good at everything.

C Octavius Ellis- 6'11 with a lot of bounce, probably has been best player all season. Great shot blocker but AJ can push him around. Can lose his cool pretty quickly as he plays with a ton of emotion, overall just a good player going to give you 10/8 pretty regularly.

BENCH

C Coreontae Deberry- Big kid 6'9 280 or so, solid back to the basket game but can only play for quick spurts, Least athletic guy amongst the bigs but also the strongest. Plays 15-20 Minutes a game and is a pretty capable backup center.

G Kevin Johnson- 3 point shooter has played better of late but can be a turnover machine. Very, very inconsistent, and rarely drives to the basket. Good defender and if he's knocking down shots can be a threat.

F Jermaine Sanders- Glue guy, smart player, nothing flashy, has had a few solid games of double figures this year and a good rebounder for 6'5. Not a huge worry offensively.

F Quadri Moore- won't play much, doesn't bring much on either end, just a big body.

Thanks,

This could be a 55-53 game. I like our upside underneath though. Glad we have a little time to get ready for them

Thanks, OB3. What about team "personality". I haven't followed this year's team at all, but in the past, they've had some thugs and seemed to be involved in more than their share of fights, etc. (especially when playing Xavier). Is this year any different?

This game breaks my heart! Out of all the teams my two are facing off. UC is very strong defensively but have struggled most games on the offensive end. I believe Hammons will have a great game down low against Ellis. However, the Boilers must be able to shut down their shooters like Caupain and Cobb and not get open looks. I expect this to be a low scoring game as both teams live by defense. I overall like Purdue in this game and have watched both teams religiously all year.

BTFU

This post was edited on 3/15 6:05 PM by CincyBoilermaker

Great write up Ohio boiler. Born and raised a UC fan and Purdue grad here, so this is a nightmare pairing for me. I watch almost all of their games and went to 5 this year and those were very good descriptions of UCs players.

Heres a few things I would add:

if jermaine sanders gets hot he can knock down his share of 3s.

Gary Clark could be a matchup nightmare for us. He's bigger and stronger than both Edwards and smotherman and if he has a game like he did against Xavier he could really carry them through. He's also a pretty bad free throw shooter.

Quadri moore can tend be a black hole on offense. When he get a touch he always seems to jack up an ill advised shot. He also was suspended for a game or 2 earlier this year for being a little to "me first" I believe.

Octavius Ellis is very fiery player. He got technical in their last game for a small shove on a icon player and was ejected from the Houston game for a dangerous flagrant foul where he shoved a guy in the back in mid air to prevent an open layup. He was also involved in the brawl with Xavier a couple years ago and later kicked off the team for a bar fight incident (I think it was more of a wrong place wrong time thing on his end). He's now back at UC after 2 years at a juco

I would say the Bearcats go as caupain and Ellis go. Campaign does have a tendency to dissappear down the stretch of close games though. But if Cobb and or Johnson get hot it could a long day for the boilers. Both a very good but streaky shooters

Really the only guy on the team who seems to have a "Mean Streak" and plays with a lot of emotion is Octavius Ellis, He played at UC as a freshman and was dismissed form the team following the Xavier brawl and another incident. He wen't Juco and has seemed to mature a lot, but he still is a very emotional guy. As far as "thugs" it's night and day different now that Cronin is there. He is a lot more of a disciplinarian than Huggins was, and he doesn't really stand for it. It's a different dynamic with this team, I don't really know what I would call their personality with 7 new players and 5 new starters I think they are still figuring it out to be honest.

Yeah I hate the matchup with my two favorite college programs playing each other. Either way one has a chance to shock the nation in round two!

Yeah at least we know we'll know we'll have a team root for in the weekend. And if they do shock the world I'll be in Cleveland for the sweet 16

I think they have a really good coach.

download

Cronin is a solid coach but he hasn't been involved in practice or games since January due to an anuerism. He still meets with the players and coaches and scouts but can't attend practice or games.

The interim coach is Larry sanders and he's done a great job but as a game day coach I think he's definitely a step down from Cronin

Larry Davis has coached himself into a head gig somewhere next year. Not having Cronin has been big for this team ( especially considering they have 7 new players on the roster and five new starters) I think if he had been there all year they would be somewhere closer to 24/25 wins. This will be a heck of a game in my opinion both teams are great defensively and it should just be a battle.

Being an 8/9 game not suprised about the even matchup on paper. Sounds like if Purdue's 3 pt shooters (Stephens) hit the open looks. Will be in good shape.

I was at that vcu game and they were truly aweful, crumbled under vcus pressure (sound familiar?). Put that was their first game without Cronin (and I belive the players found out that morning about the situation) so I have to believe that played into the bad performance.

This post was edited on 3/15 8:56 PM by kipp724

good write up, seems they haven't played near the schedule and found these games that stood out.

Lost at Nebraska (OT)

Won at NC State

Beat SMU (twice)

I have watched SMU several times and thought they were highly over rated and living off Brown's resume. I think it's the same story as usual for the Boilers. Limit turnovers, hit free throws, and play good defense and we win this game.
We need our core guys playing good ball, and not to disappear. AJ/Davis/Octeus

Originally posted by OhioBoiler3:
Larry Davis has coached himself into a head gig somewhere next year. Not having Cronin has been big for this team ( especially considering they have 7 new players on the roster and five new starters) I think if he had been there all year they would be somewhere closer to 24/25 wins. This will be a heck of a game in my opinion both teams are great defensively and it should just be a battle.
Davis has had head coaching experience and may be one of those guys better suited for the top assistant's position. He grew up in Selma, Indiana, which is in Delaware county about 15 minutes from Delta where Painter played. As many know, Wapahani is one heck of a baseball school.

Larry Davis, the dean of the University of Cincinnati men's basketball staff, has compiled more than a quarter century's worth of experience in the college coaching ranks, including serving as associate head coach for the Bearcats since 2006.
Davis is tasked with planning recruiting, practice and team preparation, while focusing a great deal of his time mentoring the guards.
A nine-year head coach at Furman University (1997-2006), Davis undertook a massive revitalization of the Paladins' program, directing the school to a record of 124-139. A significant part of his rebuilding plan was to infuse new talent. He did so by recruiting the likes of two-time all-conference selection Guilherme Da Luz, the first player in Southern Conference history to top 1,000 points, 600 assists, 500 rebounds and 200 steals in a career, and 2,000-point scorer Karim Souchu. Furman posted three winning seasons after 2002 and achieved its first winning record in conference play in over a decade, under Davis' guidance.
Davis was an assistant coach at Minnesota for three seasons (1994-97), helping the Golden Gophers compile a 69-29 record and make three postseason appearances. He was credited with the recruiting of All-Americans and future NBA Draft picks Bobby Jackson and Quincy Lewis.
Previous coaching stops included a year at Ball State (1993-94), four seasons at Wake Forest (1989-93), and four years at Delaware (1985-89). At Wake Forest, Davis helped the school rise from last place in the Atlantic Coast Conference to make three straight NCAA Tournament appearances (1991-93), coaching the likes of long-time NBA veteran Rodney Rogers.
Davis launched his career as a graduate assistant at East Tennessee State following his graduation from Asbury College in 1978. After three seasons, he became a head coach in the high school ranks, serving a year at Cloverport (Ky.) and two at Oak Hill Academy in Virginia, where he compiled a 51-9 record.

I believe he'll either be HC at Cincy (Rumors were that Cronin was on his way out before his heart issue) or will fall back to the top assistant and ask for a raise.

Hi Guys, Cincy fan here figured I'd come and lurk around your board to find out what you are thinking.

Figured I could offer you an inside look at Cincy while I'm here!

OhioBoiler did a great job of summarizing our individual players, truthfully its probably better that he did it because it's likely alot less biased than what I would have written :)

Our starting line up will be 6-4 PG Troy Caupain. Hes a very young (19) talented player who whenever he is assertive and attacking we are at our best. He's our best shooter but doesn't take many 3s, mostly end of the shot clock or after an Offensive RB. His backcourt mate will be 6-1 SG Farad Cobb. Definition of a streaky shooter and if he gets hot we usually win. Hes also known as a big game player so expect him to come out firing early, if he's knocking down shots its trouble for the Boilers.

In the front court we have 6-7 F Shaq Thomas, an athletic freak who can't shoot the ball but slashes and hits the O glass. 6-7 Frosh F Gary Clark who will be a All American candidate before his time is done at Cincy. He is very polished with his back to the basket but currently lacks a face up game. Finally we have 6-10 C Octavious Ellis a great shot blocker and rebounder who has been playing very well lately. He is an incredibly emotional player and has had his fair number of T's this year. Same kid who was kicked off the team after the X brawl but did alot of work on his anger in JUCO and really has grown up alot. I can guarentee you two things about Oct, he will travel at least once and will get at least one goaltend, no question.

As a team we are very defensive minded. We have spent most of the year in a match up zone that is very good and is anchored by Ellis in the back. More recently we have switched to more man but I'd be shocked if you saw much of this with your bigs. We are VERY physical on D and every team that plays us usually has fans hating the refs after the game, just how it goes when you play Cincy, you better be tough or we are gonna eat you alive. Because of this physicality and toughness we have the reputation of being thugs but HC Mick Cronin has really done an incredible job cleaning up the program since Huggs left. In Cronin's absence Coach Davis has done a great job stepping in but to say he might be replacing Mick is totally false, Coach Cronin's job is very safe here at Cincy.

On offense we can struggle at times. Our numbers look worse then we actually are because of the pace we play. We tend to slow down games and keep them in the 50-60s (One team has scored 70 on us this year). There are guys on this team that can knock down shots but we turn it over at such a high clip that it really hurts our efficiency, but with that being said we still rank 86th or so in efficiency at 1.06points per possession. Essentially if we don't turn it over we score pretty well.

Finally this is a very young team with 7 new comers this year. Because of that we really struggled early in the year. Also, that spanking by VCU at home was the day Cronin was diagnosed with his arterial dissection and the team found out an hour before the game, it was a disaster and none of the guys seemed to be able to focus after the news broke. If you like to watch highlights we were at our best vs NC State and SMU and our worst vs Tulane, VCU and ECU

Really looking forward to the game and I'd be happy to help answer any questions you might have about the Bearcats!

a side bar here, Lafayette's coach Fran O'Hanlon was a player for Nova and is in their Hall of Fame.

download

I think a game that is going to be this physical at this pace is going to come down to free throws and bench depth. We are slightly higher on FT% but AJ and Isaac are still on the low side which could be the difference. Although they seem to have been slightly better lately without looking it up. The depth, I don't now enough about their team to have any idea how we stack up there. While we seem to play more players, if you include Bryson, it looks like their minutes or more distributed at a glance.

So, you haven't watched a basketball game since the late 90s. Good for you. No respect for clueless posters.

I do have quite a bit of respect for Purdue, both as a university and for the basketball program. I look forward to this game, although it would have been easier had it been against a team I didn't like.

UC and Purdue, IMO, have a number of similarities as institutions and basketball programs. Each school has a rich basketball history - Purdue, beginning under Gene Keady, and UC in the early 60s and again over the last few decades. This year's squads are both quite physical, and I suspect we'll see a score in the low 50s. AJ Hammons and Ellis will really go at it inside, and I feel that if one player can get the other in foul trouble, it'll be a huge advantage to the other team. Those two are the primary players on each team with appreciable height, but there are a bunch of 6'6" or so bangers on each team.

I live in Colorado, and sort of adopted Colorado State (who got screwed out of a bid this year) as my home squad. I loved Jon Octeus when he was here - he's brought a lot of veteran savvy to a relatively young Boilermaker team. In the games I've watched this year, he's been a steady difference maker.

There's seems to be a number of crossover fans from the two programs, probably due to respective engineering programs at the schools. I'd love to see UC play Purdue more regularly as a regional "rival". Academically, each of the basketball programs have done well in recent years. It's certainly been refreshing for those of us who weren't enamored with that side of Huggins' program. UC's APR was 955 last year in basketball, and I believe Purdue's was just short of perfect.

Looking forward to an entertaining one this week - it'll be easy to root for the winner to take down UK over the weekend.....

This post was edited on 3/16 3:29 PM by coloradobearcat

Right now pretty much no one that I have heard ("no one" being radio shows) has given us much of a chance against Cincy. Beating UK is a ginormous task, for any team, but I think we will get by Cincy keeping the first round streak alive.

Did you eat their ribs? Not a fan. Pretty sure they boil them first. I like the Famous Dave's in Florence much better. I will say the one at Hamilton Commons is awful.

Looking at statistics for the American Conference, this is how Cincinnati stacks up (out of 11 teams).

Scoring Offense - 10th
Scoring Defense - 1st
Scoring Margin - 2nd
Free Throw - 6th (67%)
FG Percentage - 2nd (45%)
FG Percentage Defense - 2nd (39%)
3 Pt. Percentage - 5 (33%)
3 Pt Defense - 6th (33%)
Rebounding Margin - 2nd (+5)
Blocked Shots - 2 (5.4)
Turnover Margin - 8 (average 12.8 turnovers/game)

Overall, they're fairly similar to Purdue in many of the statistics.

Maximizing possessions will be a big aspect of having a successful game. Keeping turnovers low and crashing the boards.

Not to go a side bar, but I do a lot of business in cincy and have eaten at the Montgomery inn several times. Very good each time, however never had the ribs.

I would also like to see a home and home series with the Bearcats
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Heller:
Did you eat their ribs? Not a fan. Pretty sure they boil them first. I like the Famous Dave's in Florence much better. I will say the one at Hamilton Commons is awful.
Haven't tried the one in HCommons. The one place I won't go ever again in HC is Panda Express.

Once a summer I go to Hayward, Wisconsin, to Round Lake Musky/Smallmouth fishing. Famous Dave's original is on that lake and burned down last fall. Great guy, extremely smart....Dave is an Ojibwe Indian who served as Head of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. The original burned down in December, but he's vowed to rebuild on the original spot, which is probably the best location on the lake. Cant wait to get back up this summer.

And no, I've never had the ribs at Montgomery Inn, but every thing else has been very good.

This post was edited on 3/16 7:39 PM by TwinDegrees2

Originally posted by boilerzz:
Originally posted by Heller:
Gold Star is way better than Skyline. And Montgomery Inn ribs suck.
Don't eat the ribs. Get the pork chops with the Montgomery Inn sauce and some Saratoga chips. That's my entree of choice. I probably haven't had the ribs in 15 years.
Stop it!!! I'm trying to lose a couple pounds. Rrrrrrrr!

Originally posted by GemstateBoiler:
I saw them play a few months ago and they didn't play well. Obviously, like us they have stepped it up.
Well, they lost to VCU and Nebraska, and beat San Diego State pre-season.

But, they split with UCONN, beat SMU twice, split with Memphis, split with Temple, and beat NC State.

Looks like they played well at home, and did a decent job, but not tremendous on the road.

Should be one hell of a defensive struggle, and I commend the Boilers for a ninth seed and for a great turn around this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT