ADVERTISEMENT

Way to early expectations for this year

I wouldn't guarantee Haarms over Williams. Without the volume 3pt shooters that we had last year Purdue needs someone who can create offense down low on their own. Williams does that much better than Haarms and is a better passer than Haarms as well.
The one thing I see as Haarms having an advantage is in quickness. Now if Williams continues to drop lbs. that gap might close as well.

Reactions: OhioBoiler51
The one thing I see as Haarms having an advantage is in quickness. Now if Williams continues to drop lbs. that gap might close as well.
True.

With Haarms it seemed like his offense came mainly from pick and rolls or pick and pops with Carsen and Cline.

Trevion you could throw the ball to down low and let him create on his own. His vision and passing lets him create for others too so I just see him as a more valuable offensive weapon at a time where Purdue lost its two biggest scoring threats.

True.

With Haarms it seemed like his offense came mainly from pick and rolls or pick and pops with Carsen and Cline.

Trevion you could throw the ball to down low and let him create on his own. His vision and passing lets him create for others too so I just see him as a more valuable offensive weapon at a time where Purdue lost its two biggest scoring threats.
I would actually say that Tre and Haarms are the two best scorers on the team. I hope we can find a way to get them both on the court at the same time.

I would actually say that Tre and Haarms are the two best scorers on the team. I hope we can find a way to get them both on the court at the same time.
With 4 centers on the team it's likely that we see that some but it'll have to be against teams with two bigs out there as well. Did Purdue go with both of them out there against anyone besides Minnesota this year?

Reactions: BoilerIron
With 4 centers on the team it's likely that we see that some but it'll have to be against teams with two bigs out there as well. Did Purdue go with both of them out there against anyone besides Minnesota this year?
Minnesota is the only team I can think of.

I could see 15-20 min/gm with 2 bigs on the court. Wheeler will need to get some rest, and I also think we will see him on the court with 2 bigs from time to time. I agree that the lineup would be best used against bigger teams like Minnesota.

Iowa and Indiana I believe will be starting two big men.

Reactions: OhioBoiler51

Minnesota is the only team I can think of.

I could see 15-20 min/gm with 2 bigs on the court. Wheeler will need to get some rest, and I also think we will see him on the court with 2 bigs from time to time. I agree that the lineup would be best used against bigger teams like Minnesota.

Iowa and Indiana I believe will be starting two big men.

For a short stretch in the latter part of the second half of the South Regional Final against Virginia - it was effective. I can see the possibilities in strategic stretches this next season as well....we shall see.

For a short stretch in the latter part of the second half of the South Regional Final against Virginia - it was effective. I can see the possibilities in strategic stretches this next season as well....we shall see.
I think it's almost a must, tbh. If Haarms and Tre only play the 5, then that limits them to 40 minutes between the two. As they are arguably our best players, we need them each playing more than 20 min/gm. That also leaves 0 minutes for EB and DOW who are also 5s.

I think it's almost a must, tbh. If Haarms and Tre only play the 5, then that limits them to 40 minutes between the two. As they are arguably our best players, we need them each playing more than 20 min/gm. That also leaves 0 minutes for EB and DOW who are also 5s.
A very hard decision on how to split the minutes that I'm hoping gillis only makes that much harder

The Athletic predicted minutes and starters and had four starters essentially locked in - NE, AW, MH, and Proctor. They then suggested the other position would most likely be either Hunter (as the 1) or Newman (as the 3), depending on how big a lineup we’d want. FWIW.

Reactions: mattharris2019
The Athletic predicted minutes and starters and had four starters essentially locked in - NE, AW, MH, and Proctor. They then suggested the other position would most likely be either Hunter (as the 1) or Newman (as the 3), depending on how big a lineup we’d want. FWIW.
The athletic don’t know what’s its talking about. Nothing is guaranteed for no player unless it’s earned including my own son who did start last year. Why u think he working so hard this off season to come back a better version of who he was last season. No position is guaranteed all of them are trying improve and prove that they can step in into a starting role. It will be battles and each player whatever position they play will be battling for just playing time let alone a starting position. A lot does come back but nothing is guaranteed and those that are coming in starting from scratch gotta battle those who have already been in the system won’t be EZ for nobody but I believe the competition gonna be fun each of them to get better as a player and team. I read that article thought it was kinda off base but it is an opinion certainly not FACTS. Lots of talent on this roster and all gonna be competing for that right earn a starting spot. Those there already got a leg up already they still gotta come in and compete how it plays out we all won’t know much until season begins. I see all the talent and it’s plenty of it as long as they all play together as a team this could be a even special season as last season was.

My way too early prediction for the 2019-2020 Purdue men’s basketball team is a spot in the Final Four in Atlanta April 2020. Same with my way too early expectation(s)....... 2020 Final Four appearance. That should be the end of the road.

My way too early prediction for the 2019-2020 Purdue men’s basketball team is a spot in the Final Four in Atlanta April 2020. Same with my way too early expectation(s)....... 2020 Final Four appearance. That should be the end of the road.

This year will be a minor step back but next year could be really special.
But what do I know, I thought last year would be a 20-21win season with a sweet 16 ceiling.
After 40 years of watching Purdue BB I have developed a pretty good feel for how we will do. At least so I thought! Lol.
I'm going with a top 3 BIG finish, 24 wins and a sweet 16 as the expectation.

I am much more confident predicting a top 3 finish in the BIG since it is determined by a large number of games. The NCAA's is a single game crap-shoot. Lucky match-ups, hot shooting teams, your team gets the flu, the atmospheric pressure is wrong, etc. etc.

Talent is the price of admission to the NCAA's. That's all it gets you. The rest is up to random processes. A guard makes an incredible save in the back court, throws a half-court length pass to a guy who rises up with the catch to hit a three-point shot to tie the game. How many times can that happen? How can you predict it? That single play is the difference between an elite-eight and a final-four. Random. I'd like to think we have enough talent to make the NCAA's and get to the Sweet-sixteen level. In theory, we probably have final-four talent, but that achievement will depend on wo we match-up with in the S16 games.

Reactions: johnwooden1932
The athletic don’t know what’s its talking about. Nothing is guaranteed for no player unless it’s earned including my own son who did start last year. Why u think he working so hard this off season to come back a better version of who he was last season. No position is guaranteed all of them are trying improve and prove that they can step in into a starting role. It will be battles and each player whatever position they play will be battling for just playing time let alone a starting position. A lot does come back but nothing is guaranteed and those that are coming in starting from scratch gotta battle those who have already been in the system won’t be EZ for nobody but I believe the competition gonna be fun each of them to get better as a player and team. I read that article thought it was kinda off base but it is an opinion certainly not FACTS. Lots of talent on this roster and all gonna be competing for that right earn a starting spot. Those there already got a leg up already they still gotta come in and compete how it plays out we all won’t know much until season begins. I see all the talent and it’s plenty of it as long as they all play together as a team this could be a even special season as last season was.
The Athletic has zero players on our team with a 100% chance of starting so I don’t think they’re saying anything is guaranteed. Nojel is the highest percent - I think it was 85% which honestly seems low. Their discussion was simply does Nojel slide to the 3 if Hunter becomes a starter or stay at the 1 if Newman (or they believe a longer shot Sasha) start at the 3. Clearly it’s just one guy’s guess. Opinions are OK. Everybody has them.

The Athletic has zero players on our team with a 100% chance of starting so I don’t think they’re saying anything is guaranteed. Nojel is the highest percent - I think it was 85% which honestly seems low. Their discussion was simply does Nojel slide to the 3 if Hunter becomes a starter or stay at the 1 if Newman (or they believe a longer shot Sasha) start at the 3. Clearly it’s just one guy’s guess. Opinions are OK. Everybody has them.
It’s an opinion for sure. Great thing about Nojel he can play multiple positions offensively and defensively so yes u can slide Nojel offensively at any other position bcuz he he’s able to play each of them while still being able to make plays for himself and his teammates

Reactions: BoilerBulldog

There is a 100 percent chance Eastern starts every game he's healthy. I cant even imagine what scenario would push him out. He could tell painter he wants to come off the bench and coach would laugh him out of the office.
It was a good article though. Dustin seems to have built good Purdue knowledge.

I hope we do see the haarms-williams frontcourt. Could be real dangerous with wheeler, proctor and eastern. Maybe not enough defense but it could produce scoring and should be athletic enough to compete.

This year will be a minor step back but next year could be really special.
But what do I know, I thought last year would be a 20-21win season with a sweet 16 ceiling.
After 40 years of watching Purdue BB I have developed a pretty good feel for how we will do. At least so I thought! Lol.
I'm going with a top 3 BIG finish, 24 wins and a sweet 16 as the expectation.
You will get your Sweet 16 in 2020 and more. 2021 could be real special, national championship special.....

There is a 100 percent chance Eastern starts every game he's healthy. I cant even imagine what scenario would push him out. He could tell painter he wants to come off the bench and coach would laugh him out of the office.
It was a good article though. Dustin seems to have built good Purdue knowledge.

I hope we do see the haarms-williams frontcourt. Could be real dangerous with wheeler, proctor and eastern. Maybe not enough defense but it could produce scoring and should be athletic enough to compete.
Yep. Totally agree.

I am much more confident predicting a top 3 finish in the BIG since it is determined by a large number of games. The NCAA's is a single game crap-shoot. Lucky match-ups, hot shooting teams, your team gets the flu, the atmospheric pressure is wrong, etc. etc.

Talent is the price of admission to the NCAA's. That's all it gets you. The rest is up to random processes. A guard makes an incredible save in the back court, throws a half-court length pass to a guy who rises up with the catch to hit a three-point shot to tie the game. How many times can that happen? How can you predict it? That single play is the difference between an elite-eight and a final-four. Random. I'd like to think we have enough talent to make the NCAA's and get to the Sweet-sixteen level. In theory, we probably have final-four talent, but that achievement will depend on wo we match-up with in the S16 games.
You are correct, we do have Final 4 talent in 2020.

I hope we do see the haarms-williams frontcourt.

"We're just kinda letting it evolve. I think we'll score on the interior much more next year with Matt Haarms and Trevion Williams...I think those two guys can play together at times. I think Aaron Wheeler has played the 4 for us & he can do that, but he also can move over to some 3 if we go into a bigger lineup. I'm not saying that's something we ultimately do for 40 minutes of a game, but it gives us another look."

-Painter talking with Andy Katz on May 13 (for those that haven't listened, it's the usual, good, honest basketball talk we've come to expect from Matt about last season & next...Painter segment at 9-min mark):

You will get your Sweet 16 in 2020 and more. 2021 could be real special, national championship special.....
Don’t underestimate a team who came so close to reaching a final 4 that brings 7 players back who played some parts of them getting there. I see final 4 in 2020 these boys ready to prove all those who don’t believe they have the team to get there bcuz carsen Cline and Eifert is gone. Great run with those guys but like every season I loose key pieces and other key pieces steps up. This team is prime and ready to get to a final 4 this season coming up bcuz they almost had a taste of it and I know that taste in still there and they trying to surpass what they did last season.

Don’t underestimate a team who came so close to reaching a final 4 that brings 7 players back who played some parts of them getting there. I see final 4 in 2020 these boys ready to prove all those who don’t believe they have the team to get there bcuz carsen Cline and Eifert is gone. Great run with those guys but like every season I loose key pieces and other key pieces steps up. This team is prime and ready to get to a final 4 this season coming up bcuz they almost had a taste of it and I know that taste in still there and they trying to surpass what they did last season.
Agree 100% Every team, college or professional, has their time. It is called destiny. It is Purdue's time. Final Four 2020 Atlanta. 2021 could end up being a national title. It is Purdue's time, and nothing (including all jealous fans of other teams viewing this board) can stop destiny. And yes IU won their titles with Bob Knight because back then it was their time. I can acknowledge that. But Purdue's time is coming really soon. Boiler Up! Big things coming soon Boiler Nation!

Agree 100% Every team, college or professional, has their time. It is called destiny. It is Purdue's time. Final Four 2020 Atlanta. 2021 could end up being a national title. It is Purdue's time, and nothing (including all jealous fans of other teams viewing this board) can stop destiny. And yes IU won their titles with Bob Knight because back then it was their time. I can acknowledge that. But Purdue's time is coming really soon. Boiler Up! Big things coming soon Boiler Nation!
You are way too enthusiastic to be real. Maybe you should tone it down a bit before people discover you are just trolling this board.

You are way too enthusiastic to be real. Maybe you should tone it down a bit before people discover you are just trolling this board.
Nope, I am a true Purdue fan. Times changes and so do results. I will never apologize for believing in my team to do big things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT