ADVERTISEMENT

Painter has built us into a DYNASTY in the BIG can he do it NATIONALLY

Bleedinggoldandblack

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 15, 2012
The Watchtower
Based on our new NATIONAL exposure from this FINAL FOUR and the recruiting classes coming in , has CMP put us on stage to become a team-school as a N̈ATIONAL BRAND . By this I mean he built this last group not on 5 star , 1 and done type guys like ( Dukes, UNC ,Kentucky) but kids tha love the game , who can see hard work , teamwork , can get you there , like Edey you can be 440 in the class and rise to be The BEST , or Braden Smith ,no one paid him much attention but Painter gave him a start from the get go... kids look at this and say something special going on there .. what are your thoughts guys/gals , has Matt broken through and showed it can be done and there's more to come. Value your input.

Painter definitely a guy that will find talent and then maximize it.

Due to the B10s size, if Purdue wins B10 again it will be a FF type team. Let's hope that is as early as next year. Normally with frosh and unproven sophs that would be a crazy thought. But with CMP as coach & especially Braden Smith as your team's leader it is not out of the question.

Reactions: BoilerAndy and BBG
Sorry, under the new NIL regime, I don't think so. The richest NIL schools will inevitably be the biggest winners. Like Georgia in football, leading the nation in money spent on recruiting and winning two national championships.

Money will be the biggest factor in hoops success going forward, with desperate schools like iu spending whatever it takes to win games (as seen in the latest portal purchases).

Sorry, under the new NIL regime, I don't think so. The richest NIL schools will inevitably be the biggest winners. Like Georgia in football, leading the nation in money spent on recruiting and winning two national championships.

Money will be the biggest factor in hoops success going forward, with desperate schools like iu spending whatever it takes to win games (as seen in the latest portal purchases).
Nah, the winning model is UConn, not IU. Combination of hs recruiting and development of guys who want to stick around supplemented with robust NIL budget to very selectively add guys. The arms race approach doesn't work

Interesting thoughts , where do we stand in this do you feel with other Big schools

I believe NIL Is more of an equalizer than a rich get rich. Look at Miami. They were not really a basketball powerhouse but they lured in Pack. And with him, they were better but not a powerhouse. Look at Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana, Duke, MSU, Michigan. And Louisville. In the past, they were able to red shirt and stash players. But now, if a player doesn’t play that first or second year, they leave. Teams like Kentucky, Louisville and Duke have zero continuity or experience. You can’t win without some experience. Duke needed Gillis more than he needed Duke.

I also believe if a school continues to dole out a lot of money but they do not win, you will see coaches and athletic directors being fired. Look at Alabama, Ohio St, Kentucky, Texas A&M, and Michigan. They have all lost prominent coaches and athletic directors lately. The guy in the hottest seat right now is probably Coach Self at Kansas. If he doesn’t win it all next year, he likely won’t return to Kansas. The same is true for. The football coach at OSU.

We talk about schools like Georgia, OSU and Michigan adding a bunch of high level transfers. The reality is they all 3 lost a lot of 4/5 star recruits. So they really didn’t improve.

Look at Purdue. Purdue doesn’t pay out much NIL. But they have been able to attract much better recruits in both basketball and football.

Reactions: Abugabby
Interesting thoughts , where do we stand in this do you feel with other Big schools
I’ve had a hard time finding good data on this. I would guess that Purdue is pretty competitive, but that is nothing more than a guess based on the passion for basketball in the fan base and the lack of transfers out.

Not entirely true. Lots of teams that spent a lot of money last year sucked. It will probably be the same this year. Still gotta have guys that mesh well together and fit your system.

Not entirely true. Lots of teams that spent a lot of money last year sucked. It will probably be the same this year. Still gotta have guys that mesh well together and fit your system.
That is just a 1-2 year sample. Over time, the biggest spenders will rise to the top like Georgia did in football.

Nah, the winning model is UConn, not IU. Combination of hs recruiting and development of guys who want to stick around supplemented with robust NIL budget to very selectively add guys. The arms race approach doesn't work
The NIL arms race includes recruiting guys from HS in the first place and keeping the best ones on board.

I don't know where Purdue is in the NIL rankings. I asked on the football forum how we compared to OSU football at 37 mil, but nobody replied. Don't know where to find that info.

That is just a 1-2 year sample. Over time, the biggest spenders will rise to the top like Georgia did in football.

The NIL arms race includes recruiting guys from HS in the first place and keeping the best ones on board.

I don't know where Purdue is in the NIL rankings. I asked on the football forum how we compared to OSU football at 37 mil, but nobody replied. Don't know where to find that info.
It’s not publicly available. But we have yet to see a team bought of players at the basketball level work.

What programs have kept the best HS recruits so far? Usually they move on to the NBA, or have transferred.

Yup, that’s not how UConn or Purdue play it with hs guys. Value to be had for those players outside of $$$. Have to find the right kids.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Based on our new NATIONAL exposure from this FINAL FOUR and the recruiting classes coming in , has CMP put us on stage to become a team-school as a N̈ATIONAL BRAND . By this I mean he built this last group not on 5 star , 1 and done type guys like ( Dukes, UNC ,Kentucky) but kids tha love the game , who can see hard work , teamwork , can get you there , like Edey you can be 440 in the class and rise to be The BEST , or Braden Smith ,no one paid him much attention but Painter gave him a start from the get go... kids look at this and say something special going on there .. what are your thoughts guys/gals , has Matt broken through and showed it can be done and there's more to come. Value your input.
As time passes, i dont think it is sustainable, as money wins in the end. We are still in the infancy stages of NIL, so the short term window CMP is taking advantage of is temporary. Just my opinion. Who knows.

As time passes, i dont think it is sustainable, as money wins in the end. We are still in the infancy stages of NIL, so the short term window CMP is taking advantage of is temporary. Just my opinion. Who knows.
Yeah, if there aren’t any rules ever put in place, I think we will have to play the portal game sooner rather than later. And Paint probably will in a few years.

I take issue with your premise that Painter has built Purdue into a B1G Dynasty. A dynasty is "a team or individual that dominates their sport or league for an extended length of time." I don't think that applies. And, no, he's not building Purdue into a national dynasty short of having predominantly long runs in the NCAA, having multiple final four appearances and winning several NCs before he retires.

The money has always been there, it's just legal now. You're right in that the kids who were getting bags before are still going to follow the money now. Those kids were never coming to Purdue regardless of NIL. I'm sure that the number of kids for whom a payday is the top priority has expanded now that this is all legal.

It's not like Purdue isn't paying, they're just not getting into bidding wars. I suspect that as long as Purdue continues to develop young players there will be good players who take less upfront to bet on themselves.

How many high school guys will turn down $400k up front to sign with a program that will recruit over them every year to take $100k to play for a program that will develop them in a way that leads to bigger pro or NIL money down the road? I suspect it's enough to run a top-tier program with but truthfully, I don't know.

Last edited:
NIL set aside for a second , I feel strong after watching Edey and Smith in particular, that CMP has a gift , that is finding talent with character, the unsung star who can become great , when someone believes in you when no one else does you become a special '" band of brothers" that was what we witnessed this year and yes , he will do it again, I'm a believer .

NIL set aside for a second , I feel strong after watching Edey and Smith in particular, that CMP has a gift , that is finding talent with character, the unsung star who can become great , when someone believes in you when no one else does you become a special '" band of brothers" that was what we witnessed this year and yes , he will do it again, I'm a believer .
Finds the guys with chips on their shoulders. He’s loyal to them and they stay loyal to him.

IU's performance destroys this argument. They have always spent more money on recruiting and NIL than almost all other schools. They have always gotten 5-star talent, while Purdue hasn't.

IU's performance destroys this argument. They have always spent more money on recruiting and NIL than almost all other schools. They have always gotten 5-star talent, while Purdue hasn't.
Fortunately, they have also spent big on lousy coaches, which we can reasonably hope will continue. That has negated the impact of the recruiting and NIL expenditures. We definitely have had a strong hoops coaching advantage over most schools, especially iu.

But NIL in practice is only two years old and schools are still learning how to fully exploit it. Some of us were mildly shocked when Pack was bought out from under us by Miami, but now that would be viewed as a routine development - and even a low-cost purchase compared to now.

I personally hope you are right, but over time I expect NIL money to have a growing impact - with schools buying all-star teams like iu is attempting now. If they ever somehow find a good coach, it could be bad for us.

The money will dry up first! Money does not win in the end! This is a fad, a total waste of assets! CMP was right, some teams, were already paying players, and now NIL is putting these teams on steroids. College basketball is slowly dying.

Fortunately, they have also spent big on lousy coaches, which we can reasonably hope will continue. That has negated the impact of the recruiting and NIL expenditures. We definitely have had a strong hoops coaching advantage over most schools, especially iu.

But NIL in practice is only two years old and schools are still learning how to fully exploit it. Some of us were mildly shocked when Pack was bought out from under us by Miami, but now that would be viewed as a routine development - and even a low-cost purchase compared to now.

I personally hope you are right, but over time I expect NIL money to have a growing impact - with schools buying all-star teams like iu is attempting now. If they ever somehow find a good coach, it could be bad for us.
I agree 100% about coaching at IU and Purdue. And I don't like it, but I suspect you are right about the impact of NIL money.

I feel like you are assuming that Purdue is lagging other programs in terms of NIL, but do we know that to be the case? I have heard it estimated that IU is top 5 nationally at $5-6 million a year. If Purdue is able to come through with say, $4 million and use it all for retention based on merit, I think that it is more sustainable than using $2.5 million for retention and using $1.5 million to get in bidding wars for a couple players. I think that the moment that Painter gets into bidding wars for outside players at the expense of his returning players, the returning players will be tempted to do the same and get in bidding wars of their own.

I feel like you are assuming that Purdue is lagging other programs in terms of NIL, but do we know that to be the case? I have heard it estimated that IU is top 5 nationally at $5-6 million a year. If Purdue is able to come through with say, $4 million and use it all for retention based on merit, I think that it is more sustainable than using $2.5 million for retention and using $1.5 million to get in bidding wars for a couple players. I think that the moment that Painter gets into bidding wars for outside players at the expense of his returning players, the returning players will be tempted to do the same and get in bidding wars of their own.

If IU's approach ever works for them, which I doubt, there will be plenty of other schools that could out bid them in the future.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT