ADVERTISEMENT

Trade War with China

China has tripled its GDP in the last 10 years. They made a lunar landing this year. They continue to educate their young people here with more and more of them returning to China than ever before. They don't have to catch us to become a significant problem for us and the world. In that regard It is foolish to say that they will never be able progress enough to become the major influence in the world. By stealing our IP they are closing the gap in technology. You are viewing China from 30 years ago. Arrogant Liberals like you can only play the race card, TDS card, etc. Sick
Not a liberal.

China landed on the moon? We stopped sending people there 40 years ago because it wasn't economically viable nor scientifically rewarding enough.

Having near-peer competitors isn't a "problem". That's a 30-year old thought process. Having other countries that can contribute to the greater good of humanity is a modern thought process. Where you and I disagree is that you (and many hard right conservatives) think globalism is evil, and I think - nay, I KNOW - that it's the future.

Not a liberal.

China landed on the moon? We stopped sending people there 40 years ago because it wasn't economically viable nor scientifically rewarding enough.

Having near-peer competitors isn't a "problem". That's a 30-year old thought process. Having other countries that can contribute to the greater good of humanity is a modern thought process. Where you and I disagree is that you (and many hard right conservatives) think globalism is evil, and I think - nay, I KNOW - that it's the future.
Here's the problem I see with your strawman....Globalism has to be a world wide message, and has to be accepted and endorsed by all to be effective...if it ever is. You may be right, but right now it's not much of an option.

Here's the problem I see with your strawman....Globalism has to be a world wide message, and has to be accepted and endorsed by all to be effective...if it ever is. You may be right, but right now it's not much of an option.
First, you apparently don’t know what a strawman is.

Second, if you want to claim to be the world leader, at some point, you lead the way. Trump is going in the opposite and wrong direction.

First, you apparently don’t know what a strawman is.

Second, if you want to claim to be the world leader, at some point, you lead the way. Trump is going in the opposite and wrong direction.

It's pretty obvious he doesn't know what "globalism" means either.

Reactions: indy35
I would like to read your definition of Globalism.

Societies and nation-states become increasingly interconnected and interdependent through the process of globalization. Globalism is the process by which we can identify, adapt to, and explain globalization. Globalization is intrinsic to current society - if a nation-state were to try to avoid or stop globalization, something I'm not sure is possible, they risk becoming economically, socially, ethically, and technologically irrelevant.

By engaging with the rest of the world, a nation can help shape the future of global society, and correspondingly their own.

Reactions: gr8indoorsman
Societies and nation-states become increasingly interconnected and interdependent through the process of globalization. Globalism is the process by which we can identify, adapt to, and explain globalization. Globalization is intrinsic to current society - if a nation-state were to try to avoid or stop globalization, something I'm not sure is possible, they risk becoming economically, socially, ethically, and technologically irrelevant.

By engaging with the rest of the world, a nation can help shape the future of global society, and correspondingly their own.
Globalism is as old as history, it's just the globe was smaller then, than it is today. It started with the first group that traded whatever they had more of to another group that possessed something they needed. This current nonsensical fear, a product of this rapidly changing world, that these "conservatives" are acting on is mind numbing. Hell, the only redeeming thing about Brad Pitt playing Achilles, is that the movie at least plays to the fact it was a "trade war."

Do you and TSB know what the words "conspiracy theory" mean, just so you know, the meaning is not "something I refuse to believe." Even the Senate has found that the Russia interference was done to benefit Trump.

two things-

-Did Trump work with them? Mueller looked into it and came up empty.

-Obama was warned in this around 2103/2014. Why did that Admin not do anything?

Globalism is as old as history, it's just the globe was smaller then, than it is today. It started with the first group that traded whatever they had more of to another group that possessed something they needed. This current nonsensical fear, a product of this rapidly changing world, that these "conservatives" are acting on is mind numbing. Hell, the only redeeming thing about Brad Pitt playing Achilles, is that the movie at least plays to the fact it was a "trade war."

Care to expand on the current nonsensical fear part?

Oh my....From CNN...Stocks up 29% since Trump's first day in office.
During Trump's presidency, the S&P 500 has gained 31% from inauguration day through September 30

And you're whining about a one day loss of 255?
Mr. Twin : ANOTHER POSTER has occasionally thought it appropriate to quote a few daily DOW averages that represented sizable gains for that index. I replied TWICE to THAT particular poster that it was of no particular significance to post occasional good news from the market to show how much Trump was influencing it, and remarked to HIM how I might as well post news of sizable LOSSES to make a corresponding point. He had closed HIS post described above , with , " Thank you Mr. President." Hence, my response.

So THANKS AGAIN for jumping into a conversation of which you had no previous background knowledge.
( I don't "whine" about ANY 1-day market decline, much less a 255 DOW drop.)

Last edited:
Oh my....From CNN...Stocks up 29% since Trump's first day in office.
During Trump's presidency, the S&P 500 has gained 31% from inauguration day through September 30

And you're whining about a one day loss of 255?

S&P went up about ~200% over Obama's tenure.

Reactions: doubleyous

Good overall definition IMO. In today’s political terms, however, I think it has been more focused on the view that the world wide business environment has and continues to evolve in the direction that manufacturing jobs migrate to underdeveloped low labor cost countries where they help those countries lift up their poorer people, develop their economies, etc. Developed countries gain the benefits of lower prices for products but give up some jobs to the underdeveloped countries. All this, of course, is good for everyone.

All this went into high gear after WW2 when Europe and Japan’s economies were literally destroyed. In the post war years the US necessarily opened its markets to imports and fully supported import barriers being put in place in Japan to protect them, Europe, and other underdeveloped countries. Barriers were absolutely needed back then as an aid to reconstructing the devastated countries. Over time it all worked wonderfully. By the middle 60’s Japan and Europe were up an running with brand new highly efficient manufacturing operations and the US economy had transitioned from a war machine to a consumer based economy with a huge demand. Cracks had started to show, however, as first Japan, then Taiwan and South Korea had much lower labor costs and their companies, like Panasonic (Matsushita), Sony, Honda, Toyota, etc were allowed to send products into the US at a huge cost advantages. They were also subsidized by their Fed Governments and protected from import competition in their markets. This put US companies who were primarily unionized paying excellent wages and great benefits (RCA, Zenith, Ford, Chevy, and hundreds more) to go off shore in order to compete with the foreign companies.

Then along came China, with its 1+ Billion people, authoritarian dictatorship, huge natural resources, and long history of politically dominating their neighbors. Japan had roughly 100 million people in the 60’s. Taiwan only about 10 million and Korea less than 50 million. With their incredible size and the fact that the Gov owns all of the critical business structure like Banks, Steel and Aluminum Companies, etc. China has used these structural advantages to create the second largest economy in the world in just 20 years and will ultimately be the largest economy in the world. That in itself isn’t a problem. What is a problem is they continue to use destructive trade policies in their quest for dominance and the US has been badly injured because of the trade policies that should have been changed long ago. That is, very simply, what Pres. Trump is addressing.

Reactions: BoilerJS
Good overall definition IMO. In today’s political terms, however, I think it has been more focused on the view that the world wide business environment has and continues to evolve in the direction that manufacturing jobs migrate to underdeveloped low labor cost countries where they help those countries lift up their poorer people, develop their economies, etc. Developed countries gain the benefits of lower prices for products but give up some jobs to the underdeveloped countries. All this, of course, is good for everyone.

All this went into high gear after WW2 when Europe and Japan’s economies were literally destroyed. In the post war years the US necessarily opened its markets to imports and fully supported import barriers being put in place in Japan to protect them, Europe, and other underdeveloped countries. Barriers were absolutely needed back then as an aid to reconstructing the devastated countries. Over time it all worked wonderfully. By the middle 60’s Japan and Europe were up an running with brand new highly efficient manufacturing operations and the US economy had transitioned from a war machine to a consumer based economy with a huge demand. Cracks had started to show, however, as first Japan, then Taiwan and South Korea had much lower labor costs and their companies, like Panasonic (Matsushita), Sony, Honda, Toyota, etc were allowed to send products into the US at a huge cost advantages. They were also subsidized by their Fed Governments and protected from import competition in their markets. This put US companies who were primarily unionized paying excellent wages and great benefits (RCA, Zenith, Ford, Chevy, and hundreds more) to go off shore in order to compete with the foreign companies.

Then along came China, with its 1+ Billion people, authoritarian dictatorship, huge natural resources, and long history of politically dominating their neighbors. Japan had roughly 100 million people in the 60’s. Taiwan only about 10 million and Korea less than 50 million. With their incredible size and the fact that the Gov owns all of the critical business structure like Banks, Steel and Aluminum Companies, etc. China has used these structural advantages to create the second largest economy in the world in just 20 years and will ultimately be the largest economy in the world. That in itself isn’t a problem. What is a problem is they continue to use destructive trade policies in their quest for dominance and the US has been badly injured because of the trade policies that should have been changed long ago. That is, very simply, what Pres. Trump is addressing.

Well thought out post Bruce1.

Reactions: Fansince72
The Trump economy is BOOMING!
Thank you Mr. President!
Oh, and a very small nod to the ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY PLUS MILLION members of
this country's workforce who were actually responsible for the current economy.

Also the millions of small businesses and corporations that have created those jobs in pursuit of profit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT