ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking ahead to next year … who will back up smith at PG?

Mar 12, 2016
This is where losing dravyn hurts … hope painter can find another Octeus in the rough from the portal

I saw they gave the walk on Frost a scholarship for his senior year, So currently we are at 13 with 2 seniors right now (frost and jenkins). We bring in Colvin next year to make 12. So it looks like we have one open scholarship for next year.

I saw they gave the walk on Frost a scholarship for his senior year, So currently we are at 13 with 2 seniors right now (frost and jenkins). We bring in Colvin next year to make 12. So it looks like we have one open scholarship for next year.
I keep thinking Benter is 2023.

If Morton worked on his dribbling I’d like to see him backup Smith next year. He is a good passer and one of our best defenders. I believe he could thrive as a primary distributor provided his handles improve.

We start someone else at the 3 who can shoot and rebound.

Reactions: ChuckJr
If Morton worked on his dribbling I’d like to see him backup Smith next year. He is a good passer and one of our best defenders. I believe he could thrive as a primary distributor provided his handles improve.

I'm hoping to see Colvin starting at the 3. I think he has the ability to backup the point as well.

Morton doesn’t have the handles. Unfortunately, he’s one of those players who’s actually regressing.
Painter will need to hit the portal for an experienced PG whose willing to play back up minutes.

This is where losing dravyn hurts … hope painter can find another Octeus in the rough from the portal
I figure Smith will not sit lots of minutes, but definitely with his motor, things can happen where we need someone to step in. Every time he goes down on a layup, I cringe. Jenkins, Jr. has been an adequate replacement, so a player who can give 8-12 minutes/game with a good handle and gets the ball over the 10 second line will do. Funny, during the MSU game I was thinking about how well we get the ball into the front court in plenty of time. Last year Hunter would often stop his dribble and get caught in the back court. That seems miles behind us now.

Go Boilers!

Thinking he goes grad or 2 year transfer. With Smith being firmly in charge of the point and Colvin coming in, getting another 4 year PG doesn’t make sense. Also with guards we are targeting in 2024, going after a guard in 2023 could hurt us with those players.

I would guess Fletcher. I dont think Morton can handle it.

Fletcher is going to be our clutch shooter that demands focus of other teams D. He'll be important for spacing and will demand big minutes.
Mostly he'll be playing big minutes WITH Braden, so he's not going to be available or fresh when Braden sits.

Reactions: 02BoilerUp
Thinking he goes grad or 2 year transfer. With Smith being firmly in charge of the point and Colvin coming in, getting another 4 year PG doesn’t make sense. Also with guards we are targeting in 2024, going after a guard in 2023 could hurt us with those players.
Agreed, I think we should be looking short term as Coach is getting players out of HS that can play minutes right away-2024 and beyond. I think one, at the most out of the portal is the way to go, unless someone leaves with dreams of grandeur.

A minor thought, as Octeus disproved what I'm going to say, but our offense is one of the most complex. Assuming we get someone from the portal, I'd like to get them early or at least get someone from an offense similar to ours. And yes, I know, our offense does not require a designated PG ... but I think Braden has proven that to be BS!!!

I could see another grad transfer to fill Jenkins role. Will be a tough sell, "hey come be the backup" but there has to be someone.

Fair point Kyle.....Matt Painter can also sell being a big part of a championship-caliber team. There are some really good players who might take a back-seat to be able to win at this level, knowing they'll still get an opportunity to play and contribute.

I concur with others that it would be someone similar to David Jenkins, Jr., , who's not done yet by a longshot.

Reactions: Schnelk
Fair point Kyle.....Matt Painter can also sell being a big part of a championship-caliber team. There are some really good players who might take a back-seat to be able to win at this level, knowing they'll still get an opportunity to play and contribute.

I concur with others that it would be someone similar to David Jenkins, Jr., , who's not done yet by a longshot.
With Braden's playing style ... he rolls the dice every damned minute ... I suspect many intelligent players will see that ... and roll their own dice.

I could see another grad transfer to fill Jenkins role. Will be a tough sell, "hey come be the backup" but there has to be someone.
Yep. Jenkins has a great attitude and it worked out this year, but it was up in the air before the season with Smith. We really didn't know for sure what we got. Plus Smith was coming off some injuries. That said, I think there could be players out there, who want out of a situation they are in. Not that they are problem players, but just wanting a new scenery. The Portal has made that easier. I think some players, who are decent, but on poor teams may want to be at Mackey.

Your 2022-2023 National Champion Purdue Boilerkmakers shouldn't have any problem getting a quality backup pg in the portal in the off-season.
I kind of disagree here. Not on the National champs but it may be a hard sell to get a transfer or recruit to come in knowing that its Smith's position for the next three years. If Edey stays put for his senior year, we'll be title contenders no matter what happens the rest of the year and that might intrigue someone, but its going to be someone who is content on just playing 5 to 10 minutes for the next three years.

Does IT have another year of eligibility?????

We'll lose a couple of guys other Jenkins. My guess would be 2 others. Edey may try something professionally, but if he doesn't I think we'll lose one of the bigs (TKR?). In the backcourt, I'm going to assume Colvin can play right away. Not sure were that leaves Newman, Heide or Waddell especially if we go after a backup at point.

Reactions: DrEss
It would be great to get someone like Cam Spencer. He wasn’t a big splash name in the portal last year. He has made a big difference for Rutgers.

Reactions: DrEss
I’m sure they’ll be guys available in the portal looking to play 15 minutes a game at a Big Ten school.

Hood-Schifino
Lol, I would take him, I have a feeling he might be a one and done just because of someone falling in love with him. Bronny James is the highest ranked uncommitted PG available, that’s who Purdue will probably get lol

A minor thought, as Octeus disproved what I'm going to say, but our offense is one of the most complex. Assuming we get someone from the portal, I'd like to get them early or at least get someone from an offense similar to ours. And yes, I know, our offense does not require a designated PG ... but I think Braden has proven that to be BS!!!
I think the type of PG or lead guard or primary ball handler type and years of play available is a function of Zach in many ways in whether he comes back or not. It appears to me that some of Braden's skill set is a bit hampered by Zach and other skills enhanced by Zach. Braden's quickness ball handling and vision allow him to be effective in deferring to a low post Big that is great when having pressure on him...sustaining that pressure until the right time something that caused problems for other PGs Purdue had...further hindered by their inability to do something other than the 3 ball which at times was pressured. We saw within the offense...mainly Zach how pressure applied by the D and pretty much playing through Zach some difficulties for Purdue...that wouldn't have been a noticeable without Zach, but then a lot of other problems. Anyway, I think the needs and availability can change a bit after Zach leaves. Course I would love two Braden's...

Purdue just played MSU and their guards (a bit more combo) were quick and shooters/scorers...none that would fall under the PG or lead guard traditionally seen in their play. Yet players with their skill sets I believe may very well be effective "when" Zach leaves. When Zach leaves I think Purdue becomes a bit more up and down with a quicker pace along with a more open court.

A more open court IMO will enhance some and maybe have some others not as effective. "When" that happens guards such as we saw at MSU would be very effective since their ability to be a playmaker is easier due to spacing and pace. Space and pace would benefit Colvin as it would Braden. Fletcher would also benefit, but maybe not as much as Braden who then could operate more as he sees what is in front of him as opposed to being confined a bit today (which is best for the team).

NO way do I suggest Purdue will be better without Zach, just different which will enhance some players and hinder to a degree others and more importantly find an effective guard that can pressure the ball, handle the ball and score as well. I think it is pretty rare for a player to have the vision, passing and overall court savvy that braden has, but there are a LOT of players that can be effective in a more open court and possibly a quicker pace. To me...when your hub (Zach) is no longer at Purdue, the basketball team will take on a "slightly different" look than today whether the player in question is a one year or two year player.

We'll lose a couple of guys other Jenkins. My guess would be 2 others. Edey may try something professionally, but if he doesn't I think we'll lose one of the bigs (TKR?). In the backcourt, I'm going to assume Colvin can play right away. Not sure were that leaves Newman, Heide or Waddell especially if we go after a backup at point.
My loss predictions would be Newman (just graduated), Edey, Waddell and possibly Gillis. Fairly confident on the first three. Bring on in Heide and Colvin. All for that youth and athleticism.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
My loss predictions would be Newman (just graduated), Edey, Waddell and possibly Gillis. Fairly confident on the first three. Bring on in Heide and Colvin. All for that youth and athleticism.
Edey or TKR. I can't see where they both stay. I can't see where TKR would be looking forward to another season of 5 to 10 minutes in what should be his Jr year. IMO its totally up to Edey.

If Edey is able to earn NIL money I think he probably returns, I don’t know if he’s allowed though?

If Edey is able to earn NIL money I think he probably returns, I don’t know if he’s allowed though?

There was conversation here not longer ago that he is not due to his Canadian citizenship.

They would have to change the visa rules at this point or figure out a work-around. Maybe Purdue could play a game in Toronto or Nova Scotia and give Edey 50% of the gate? Beauty, eh? Haha.

Edey or TKR. I can't see where they both stay. I can't see where TKR would be looking forward to another season of 5 to 10 minutes in what should be his Jr year. IMO its totally up to Edey.
still think that TKR's best position is at the 4

still think that TKR's best position is at the 4
Newman and Kaufman-Renn are two players I would like to see stay after their redshirt years and all, but I would not be surprised to see them go in the portal. Edey is obviously a factor with Kaufman-Renn and his next step.

No offense to him but if he played better he would get more minutes.
Unfortunately TKR is a ONE TRICK PONY, back down your opponent with a hook shot. Unable to take an opponent off the dribble. Can't consistently hit outside shot. Doesn't look like he is having fun. Don't look for him to stay after this year. There will be higher skilled players his size coming in the next couple years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT