ADVERTISEMENT

They Say "Money Talks" So Let's Talk

This week, I've bought TRIL and IOVA. I'm still betting on small cap biotech oncology stocks. Need to have a high risk tolerance and be willing to lose $ while trying to find a homerun here and there.
My gamble on TAIL as a hedge has been a pretty bad fail, down about 10% since I bought in March.
If you have 4 or 5 figures you want to throw at a flier, look at GERN. It's one of those that you can get for under $2.30 but with a little good news, will likely be bought by a larger biotech co.

Looks like I caused another down day. Invested a little on Wed., market down on Thurs. Happened 2-3 times in June. Invest a little, next day or two are down days.

Maybe I will just alert everyone when I plan on buying, wait a day and you will have buying opportunities.

Looks like I caused another down day. Invested a little on Wed., market down on Thurs. Happened 2-3 times in June. Invest a little, next day or two are down days.

Maybe I will just alert everyone when I plan on buying, wait a day and you will have buying opportunities.

I too, have that magic touch.

Well, I won't yell at you very loud... I was up a tic and a half today...

Reactions: bonefish1

My record with the same happening has been pretty consistent since March. It got to the point of almost being comical.

My record with the same happening has been pretty consistent since March. It got to the point of almost being comical.
:DIf you set up a trading area with the proper accoutrements, like on the right below, you would discover that even bad market days can be fun...
20200711-134526.jpg

:DIf you set up a trading area with the proper accoutrements, like on the right below, you would discover that even bad market days can be fun...
20200711-134526.jpg
Way too neat. Need a lot of post it notes, at least one or two more computers, a fly tying bench, pens, pencils laying around, coin jars, a printer or two. Empty alcohol bottles. Then you get close to my trading room!

Reactions: 70boiler
But don't you think this was already built into the market? Everyone knew earnings wouldn't be very good.
I have no idea anymore. I can’t tell a good earnings report from a bad one. No metrics seem to matter; just buy close your eyes and hope momentum continues. I sold JPM on the open so it should really rally now.

I have no idea anymore. I can’t tell a good earnings report from a bad one. No metrics seem to matter; just buy close your eyes and hope momentum continues. I sold JPM on the open so it should really rally now.

That was my philosophy in March when I went to about 80% cash, thinking that all this bad news, closings, layoffs, etc was going to destroy the economy and the markets would follow. But then, in the fact of all these headwinds, bad news, etc, the market rallied even without the economic recovery. So then in June, I went back in.
It doesn't make sense.

That was my philosophy in March when I went to about 80% cash, thinking that all this bad news, closings, layoffs, etc was going to destroy the economy and the markets would follow. But then, in the fact of all these headwinds, bad news, etc, the market rallied even without the economic recovery. So then in June, I went back in.
It doesn't make sense.
Going to buy half of the shares I sold this morning back. Probably won’t matter what the earnings are as analysts and talking heads will spin it as good.

I suspect that I may regret not selling MRNA when it was in the 80s but figured that I would hang and see if their messenger RNA delivery system would work out.

That one has been good.
Got out of Moderna last night up 115%. Too much questionable press lately coupled with the CEO unloading another 10,000 in aftermarket yesterday made me a bit uncharacteristically skittish

As is the norm, it remains to be seen. BTW, at midday Moderna is up $1 from my sales point, so idk.... Certainly will never be unhappy with doubling though.

Going to buy half of the shares I sold this morning back. Probably won’t matter what the earnings are as analysts and talking heads will spin it as good.
Exactly the way that Moderna has been playing.
I can't believe that I am shaking my head at getting out when up 115%. At least, I did reenter with half the shares at nearly the same price that I sold so my current shares were essentially free.
I agree that it has been very difficult to make much sense out of a lot of activity.

I really attempt to avoid my preferred politics in making market choices...
But...
Am I mistaken in viewing THIS as a blatant attempt at market manipulation by the Administration?
It's now mid-July and no one has yet initiated actual late stage trials. I really would be a bit surprised to see manufacturing begin in any consequential way before September.

Moderna Phase 3 Covid-19 vaccine trial to begin in two weeks
ALPHA.

Thanks for bringing up Moderma again. It gives me an opportunity to kick myself for not buying it in the high teens-low 20's when I was looking at it back in Feb/Mar and didn't pull the trigger.

Reactions: 70boiler
That one has been good.
Got out of Moderna last night up 115%. Too much questionable press lately coupled with the CEO unloading another 10,000 in aftermarket yesterday made me a bit uncharacteristically skittish
I really don't understand why the Moderna CEO sold those 10k shares last week given the information that is coming out. WTF??

Thanks.......I needed the reminder.
I don’t have the time or ability required to do day trading. I just buy Motley Fool Rulebreaker stock picks and hold them, and that seems to work out well. David Gardner and his team have been on a tear recently.

I don’t have the time or ability required to do day trading. I just buy Motley Fool Rulebreaker stock picks and hold them, and that seems to work out well. David Gardner and his team have been on a tear recently.

When I'm not traveling, I work out of my home office and have easy acces to my home PC with my work PC right next to it. I have an eTrade account that I use as my 'gambling' money to day trade or throw at fliers. Sometimes it works, sometimes is doesn't.
But, I'm a big fan of small/micro cap biotech stocks. But, don't always pull the trigger when I should (MRNA) a perfect example.

JNJ and BAC both beat earnings estimates. ABT should report before market open. TFC should also report today. Own JNJ and TFC.

Regional banks I own made a nice move Wed. All closed 5% or higher. Added more HBAN in late March. Think those shares are up about 22%. Another purchase in Jun/Jul is up close to 10%.

China reported some really encouraging economic data. Wasn't reflected in premarket but will be interesting to see how the market responds today. On the surface, could be a major boost. But the way this crazy market had been, some wonk will say something strange and send it down 3%.

China reported some really encouraging economic data. Wasn't reflected in premarket but will be interesting to see how the market responds today. On the surface, could be a major boost. But the way this crazy market had been, some wonk will say something strange and send it down 3%.
Premarket may have been waiting word on weekly jobless claims. Dropped slightly from last week. DOW off about 85 pts, was 180+ premarket.

Earnings reports have been excellent this week. ABT beat earnings. Next two weeks will be telling, hundreds reporting.

Premarket may have been waiting word on weekly jobless claims. Dropped slightly from last week. DOW off about 85 pts, was 180+ premarket.

Earnings reports have been excellent this week. ABT beat earnings. Next two weeks will be telling, hundreds reporting.

I'm not even sure how much impact the earnings reports will have on the downside. Everyone's known since Mar/Apr that earnings for a lot of companies will be poor. That's already priced in.
But....if earnings reports are not as bad, or better than expected, that could be huge.

Another huge week for earnings. IBM later today. Railroads this week - UNP, CP, CNI. Many regional banks. MSFT, Amazon, KO, Intel, Tesla. VZ and T. AmEx, UAL, TXN, ITW.

Last week was pretty good for me. Have 10-12 companies reporting earnings this week.

KO and LMT join IBM with earnings beat. All three up over 2% pre-market. Market futures up across the board. Looking like a good day.

KO and LMT join IBM with earnings beat. All three up over 2% pre-market. Market futures up across the board. Looking like a good day.

Amazing. And if more positive news comes out about the CV numbers coming down, positive news on a vaccine, etc, hold on, rocket ship time!

Amazing. And if more positive news comes out about the CV numbers coming down, positive news on a vaccine, etc, hold on, rocket ship time!
Encouraging news from BionTech/Pfizer and AstraZeneca.

Banks having another strong week. PNC up 4.6%. Regional banks were strong today. TFC, FITB, HBAN, FHB all up close to 5% or over. Own all. FHB up over 14%. Bought some FHB on 7/8. Earnings report later this week.

Energy stocks had a good day. Chevron and Exxon up strong. Oil getting closer to $45 a barrel. Good for the economy and energy sector.

Copper is at 2.90+. Good for the economy.

Get electric utils moving up and will be sitting pretty tight.

Encouraging news from BionTech/Pfizer and AstraZeneca.

Banks having another strong week. PNC up 4.6%. Regional banks were strong today. TFC, FITB, HBAN, FHB all up close to 5% or over. Own all. FHB up over 14%. Bought some FHB on 7/8. Earnings report later this week.

Energy stocks had a good day. Chevron and Exxon up strong. Oil getting closer to $45 a barrel. Good for the economy and energy sector.

Copper is at 2.90+. Good for the economy.

Get electric utils moving up and will be sitting pretty tight.
How many different stocks do you own?

I am overly diversified with 87 stocks. Trying to whittle it down and buy more shares of the better ones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT