ADVERTISEMENT

The two freshmen impressed...

not with offense but with defense. When Haarms is in it is obvious as everybody sees the blocks and great feet. But just watch Eastern work over the point guard. They were burning the clock down into the low teens before they could even get there offense started each trip. Those two (Haarms and Eastern) are going to be two levels of hell to deal with for offenses over the next three years. The pressure level of our defense will rise and Carsen is a third that can make life rough. He’s going to get a lot of steals off of Eastern’s pressure and length.
I've been saying, the next couple of years will be some of the funnest basketball in Purdue's history with those three.

It is going to be a LONG and AWKWARD four years around here. Feel bad for Matt that he has to put up with such nonsense. I just hope Nojel doesn't listen to all of this nonsense that you are surely telling him. It's hard enough to recruit and coach players these days without parents getting on the team's message board and threatening that her son would not be coming back next year and that the coach's system is too slow for her son and doesn't allow him to showcase his skills. Good grief.
I’m entitled to my opinion like you and if you don’t like what I say don’t respond to it sir. Threatening no one I’m only stating my opinion bcuz I no how my son plays and as I said before he is adjusting to this system and finding his way in being productive in it. Good grief stop worrying about what I’m doing I’m not doing nothing wrong but expressing my opinions like YOU are on this site bcuz I’m a member like you talking basketball. Have a happy new year sir.

In my opinion that is how I feel sir take it for what it is even with your facts you presented. There is no debate here I’m stating my Opinion only how I see it and how my son play. Again he is adjusting aind figuring it out as season is playing out.
Please consider getting a subscription to the paid firewalled KNC that are crazy as well, most realize Nojel is going to be real player. The kid has skills. It is an adjustment from HS to BT but he is doing just fine. Come on over to KNC.

It’s pretty amazing to me how so many on this board question who and what my son can and cannot do. I’ll help you out since you cannot make up your mind up on my son. He is a play making guard who can make plays for himself and his teammates and he isn’t able to do that in this system that runs tons of set plays that suits the players who run it so well and it’s an adjustment he is figuring out more now. Playing out of control don’t see that but I see him being a tad bit aggressive this particular game bcuz some of the players were talking smack that neither of us can hear what a player is saying when guarding up close on a player what one might be saying and it’s apparent that happened and he took offense to it like Haas did when he and that player had words. All I no in the minutes production he is getting he’s been playing well defensively and taking care of the ball better playing within himself in this system that is to slow for My son in my opinion. I no my son games better than and commentator or anybody else for that fact and he is playing much better now than a month ago. Conference play starts next week he’ll be ready to step up his game and step in when he’s needed. Standing 6”7 at 223 pounds athletic, fast he can guard and defend 1/4 positions that is a great asset to have and probably be needed more so as Big 10 play begins and he will be ready to help the team in any way he can. He can play this no this system he runs in my opinion doesn’t allow him to showcase what he can really do but he is adjusting for sure.
All the fans are pulling for Nojel and can see the improvement in him. He even looks like he dropped a couple of pounds...maybe a tad thinner? You owe nobody an explanation on your son, but do it only if you think he has been wronged. FWIW...Carsen was critiqued quite a bit last year and as good as he was he has improved significantly. I will also add that Matt is shooting Fts better...and looks better doing it. Somebody has got him getting more lift in his shot and it looks better. Nojel made a really good pass..somewhat of a skip to the corner to either Dakota or Vince that was nice and as others have said...his D has came a long quite a bit. I also understand how players can have a hard time adjusting to "sets" and so easy to become a robot doing it. Matt will continue after the seniors a few sets to get the hot hand open, but as the recruits come in this team will evolve a bit to a quicker, slicing team...a more traditional team that plays today instead of the traditional team of years ago like they are playing now. Still, Matt will want efficiency in the offense no matter who is playing. This is a very good team and Nojel is getting a lot of minutes as a freshman on a team this good...obviously Nojel is doing a lot of things right or that wouldn't happen...

Prior to your son committing to Purdue, were you unaware that for the past 14 years Matt has run a motion offense and looks to work the ball inside out? Curious why you think this system is not good for your son but was good for perimeter players like E'twuan Moore, Robbie Hummel, Lewis Jackson, Keaton Grant, Terone Johnson, David Teague, and now Carsen Edwards and Vincent Edwards? I would classify most if not all of these guys as "playmakers" and yet they seemed to thrive under Matt's system.
not to me, but let me add a thought..prior to leaving for the night... ;) The baby Boilers had played together in AAU with Johnson an outsider that played D and evolved into an O threat. Kramer, was a D stopper. That team was not exactly as we see with Haas this year...and Matt is smart enough to understand he has Haas. Nojel will be fine and the number of sets will go down as teh athleticism goes up. Purdue is very skilled (seniors), but nto great athletes and can hit the shot when set up. As Purdue goes forward there will be a few more players that can get a good shot without as much help. Nojel will be fine and the offense will move closer to the Baby Boilers down the road instead of the team this year. The first thing I noticed about Matt was that he ran fewer sets than Gene. I know it wasn't to me, but I understand Treed's thoughts (have seen it in many players over the years) and the fact that "motion" which is a read offense is THAT offense when "SETS" are not in play. Cline, Dakota, Haas, PJ and Vince are very skilled, but need a bit of help to get an open shot...hence more sets than pure motion...

Nojel will THRIVE in motion down the road...

As Robbie pointed out in the broadcast, when he is jamming the PG bringing the ball up he goes for steals to much. Then he ends up having to chase him down the court causing a little 4 on 5. This puts pressure on the rest of the D as someone has to temporarily pick up the ball handler as Eastern recovers. Hasn't burned us to bad yet, but sooner or later teams will take advantage of that and it will. Just need to stay in front and apply some pressure to make them work a little like PJ does. On offense, still at times looks a little lost or misreads cuts. Just seems to be having trouble getting in sync with the other guys at times. Just seems to me, the basketball IQ isn't there right now. Physical ability he has, but got to learn to play smarter.
With his size he can back off a bit, but in all fairness...he really got some bad calls last night where the offensive player pushed off and Nojel got the foul. Nojel's slap down on the ball was a legit foul on Nojel, but he got some bad calls. Actually, the refs last night screwed up about 5-6 offensive/block calls

In over 30 years of watching Purdue basketball, I've seen more than enough players that should be good that don't make it to not get to excited until they remove the doubt. Always hope they do, but been around long enough to know some aren't and the last decade has had a lot of high profile misses and transfers.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
In over 30 years of watching Purdue basketball, I've seen more than enough players that should be good that don't make it to not get to excited until they remove the doubt. Always hope they do, but been around long enough to know some aren't and the last decade has had a lot of high profile misses and transfers.
Good comeback coach trying to disguise what your message is saying. Whoever you are my son is who I no he is and your insulting comments is on record good job buddy.

In my opinion that is how I feel sir take it for what it is even with your facts you presented. There is no debate here I’m stating my Opinion only how I see it and how my son play. Again he is adjusting and figuring it out as season is playing out.
We love your kid's game. He wins and is/will be a great asset for and star at Purdue. Frosh year is always an adjustment. Keep grinding, young buck Nojel!

Reactions: Schnelk
I appreciate your opinion as well and you may be right about what team looks like next season or what changes painter will make next season all good points but honestly I’m only concerned about this season and what my son can do to help this team this season. No guarantees in life so I can’t look to the future right now but look into the present and make sure my son continues to improve now and being ready help this team the rest of this season. Everyone ones opinions has good insight on who and what my son can cannot do but I no who and what my son can do and in due time this season he’ll have his time he’ll make an impact on this to help them get Ws and win the big 10 again and make a deep run in the tournament. Thanks for your opinions I do appreciate them all. All have substance.
Didn’t mean to exclude this year and I think he has already had a positive impact.:)

Reactions: RVAboiler
Ms Reed - I warned in September that it may not be the best idea for you to post often on here. One requires incredibly thick skin to read criticism of their son, and your response was that you did have thick enough skin.

I encourage you to prove that your skin is thick enough. No player needs constant defending whenever his game is brought up. This is the most senior laden team Purdue’s had in a long time, and your son is getting important minutes. Usually the defense is the hard part to learn, but it looks like nojel is close to mastering that. That’s a testament to how hard he’s worked, and how many minutes he’ll get next year. I have no doubt that the offensive side will come.

I remember people ripping on E’twaun Moore’s game his freshman year, and he was one of the best ever to put on a uniform.

Also, just curious - have you been able to make it down for a game yet?

Ms Reed - I warned in September that it may not be the best idea for you to post often on here. One requires incredibly thick skin to read criticism of their son, and your response was that you did have thick enough skin.

I encourage you to prove that your skin is thick enough. No player needs constant defending whenever his game is brought up. This is the most senior laden team Purdue’s had in a long time, and your son is getting important minutes. Usually the defense is the hard part to learn, but it looks like nojel is close to mastering that. That’s a testament to how hard he’s worked, and how many minutes he’ll get next year. I have no doubt that the offensive side will come.

I remember people ripping on E’twaun Moore’s game his freshman year, and he was one of the best ever to put on a uniform.

I have thick skin oh yes plenty of it that hasn’t changed and me responding to comments being said by the casual fan on a message board who are not coaches but some think they no so much about basketball bcuz they watch it TV or attend games or being fans for long time still doesn’t qualify them experts of this game. I actually played HS and college ball. I also coached a stint and now I’m a license basketball official for 9 years and softball umpire for 8 so I no a little about basketball myself. I no what my son can do and you right I need not explain myself to anybody about my son but the fact he is topic of conversation for good reasons 98% of the time and the other 2% seem critical of his play than sir even if I wasn’t on this board I would say something in respond to negative responses bcuz I’m a parent and like most parents when you hear or see someone messing with your child we will stand up for them. I read comments about my son everywhere not just on this board and some I have responded but not all but I’ve also just let many be bcuz people are people who have opinions some negative and some positive but I just let it go. Like I have consistently have said my son is a baller and he is very good too it’s very hard right now to see what he can do but it’s coming believe that. I’m harder on my son than any of you I no this isn’t no freshman woes he got all of that out when he played in WUG now to me he’s ready to contribute and when his his time comes he will be ready. I no this is senior heavy team with experience and a very good bunch I might add with a tremendous sophomore and a very very good bench personnel that will help this team go far bcuz they all bring something different to this team. I’m fine being on this board Trust me I can handle it not everybody on here is critical but very very supportive of the team and my son. To answer that question I have been to every home game and will attend all away games except Rutgers. I’m my sons #1 fan and I will stand with him by him and support him till I leave this earth bcuz that’s my 18 year love of my life who makes me proud and Why I’m honored and blessed to be his mom. God truly sent me an ANGEL.

I thought Nojel played a huge role in limiting Lipscomb's best player in the second half even though he wasn't directly guarding him. The pressure he put on their PG disrupted their entire offense. You could tell how uncomfortable he was making them which throws off everything they want to go. The game is so much more difficult from a PG perspective when initiating the offense becomes so difficult. He will be a huge asset during B1G play. Excited about his future, going to be an all-B1G player in my opinion and one of the best defenders we have ever had.

Reactions: ChuckJr

Ditto, and responding to each and every comment about it is not going to be helpful for anyone, including the side stories it will develop over time that go back to your son. See the Ball family.

Ditto, and responding to each and every comment about it is not going to be helpful for anyone, including the side stories it will develop over time that go back to your son. See the Ball family.
I get your point.

It’s pretty amazing to me how so many on this board question who and what my son can and cannot do. I’ll help you out since you cannot make up your mind up on my son. He is a play making guard who can make plays for himself and his teammates and he isn’t able to do that in this system that runs tons of set plays that suits the players who run it so well and it’s an adjustment he is figuring out more now. Playing out of control don’t see that but I see him being a tad bit aggressive this particular game bcuz some of the players were talking smack that neither of us can hear what a player is saying when guarding up close on a player what one might be saying and it’s apparent that happened and he took offense to it like Haas did when he and that player had words. All I no in the minutes production he is getting he’s been playing well defensively and taking care of the ball better playing within himself in this system that is to slow for My son in my opinion. I no my son games better than and commentator or anybody else for that fact and he is playing much better now than a month ago. Conference play starts next week he’ll be ready to step up his game and step in when he’s needed. Standing 6”7 at 223 pounds athletic, fast he can guard and defend 1/4 positions that is a great asset to have and probably be needed more so as Big 10 play begins and he will be ready to help the team in any way he can. He can play this no this system he runs in my opinion doesn’t allow him to showcase what he can really do but he is adjusting for sure.
I am confused. Carsen seems to thrive in this system. What are the differences you see in your son and Carsen and what might help Nojel to fit in better?

Look Nojel is out there playing meaningful minutes for one reason and one reason only. He is earning them in practice. If you are a true fan of the program you know this is true. To me, that is very encouraging and shows me what I want to see in a young player. Practice play dictating game time.

Ok this thread is a little ridiculous.
Eastern is playing great defense. The defense gets better with him on the ball. That one drive and finish was a thing of beauty. If he can improve his jump shot he'll be all B1G. IMO Haarms is NBA material and playing a back up role on a top 15 team with 4 seniors.
The future is bright with a core of Haarms, Eastern and CE
coming back next year.

It is going to be a LONG and AWKWARD four years around here. Feel bad for Matt that he has to put up with such nonsense. I just hope Nojel doesn't listen to all of this nonsense that you are surely telling him. It's hard enough to recruit and coach players these days without parents getting on the team's message board and threatening that her son would not be coming back next year and that the coach's system is too slow for her son and doesn't allow him to showcase his skills. Good grief.
wtf?!!! where did this parent threaten that her son will not be back. She mad a correct and legit comment, that the system CMP is running is not the best to showcase her son's offensive ability. That's a correct observation that carries no threat whatsoever. We have a senior-laden team that thrive and win games in the current system. Of course CMP won't adjust that to fit Nojel's skills, certainly not this year. His mom understands that. Where Nojel can contribute this year is getting better on defense and learning ways to fit better offensively this year. The young man is already doing that as we all can see. I do not see an entitled mom, or overbearing mom. I see a passionate mom who has pretty good basketball insight and of course loves and wants the best for her son and the program he committed to.

Reactions: Schnelk
If I recall Treed was the one that said, we do not have a clue how good this team is going to be. So far she is right on that, I for one am not going to criticize a thing she says. I will read her post and take it all in. Who on this board has better inside information then her. If you do, you have the right to throw some stones

I am confused. Carsen seems to thrive in this system. What are the differences you see in your son and Carsen and what might help Nojel to fit in better?
carsen can shoot, carsen can create his own shot against anyone, carsen can get to the rim. Also CMP gives Carsen more leeway to play outside of the system than most.
Nojel's strength at this time is more creating for others, and using his advantage as a bigger guard. Their games are just different. Carsen, as is, adds something extra to our offensive system. We can accomodate him in our currently offensive philosophy without having to make any changes. Not so with Nojel at this time.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
wtf?!!! where did this parent threaten that her son will not be back. She mad a correct and legit comment, that the system CMP is running is not the best to showcase her son's offensive ability. That's a correct observation that carries no threat whatsoever. We have a senior-laden team that thrive and win games in the current system. Of course CMP won't adjust that to fit Nojel's skills, certainly not this year. His mom understands that. Where Nojel can contribute this year is getting better on defense and learning ways to fit better offensively this year. The young man is already doing that as we all can see. I do not see an entitled mom, or overbearing mom. I see a passionate mom who has pretty good basketball insight and of course loves and wants the best for her son and the program he committed to.

She said back in November or so that her son would not be at Purdue next year. Several threads surfaced after that and were subsequently deleted.
I saw it as many others did and that is what it said

She said back in November or so that her son would not be at Purdue next year. Several threads surfaced after that and were subsequently deleted.

and even then, I think she has become more realistic with her expectations. her son is freshman joining a good experienced team. She fully understands that now as her recent comments attest

Ok this thread is a little ridiculous.
Eastern is playing great defense. The defense gets better with him on the ball. That one drive and finish was a thing of beauty. If he can improve his jump shot he'll be all B1G. IMO Haarms is NBA material and playing a back up role on a top 15 team with 4 seniors.
The future is bright with a core of Haarms, Eastern and CE
coming back next year.
and hopefully Wheeler is advancing...and then there are next year freshmen that will find some minutes as well... The future is brighter than it has been for some time at Purdue...

Reactions: Schnelk and crfair
A small nuance, but it isn't a "system". but a modification to a system with more sets due to the skill in players that need a bit of help in getting a good look so their skills are effective

Reactions: Indy_Rider
No problem; glad to oblige....you have your priorities figured out.....Happy New Year, DDD.

the-feast-cocktail-roundup.jpg
That's a colorful post. I like variety.

Didn't see any of it (put her on my ignore awhile ago so I can enjoy rational and critical discussions of Purdue basketball) but wouldn't surprise me. Just has that feeling of a Ronnie Johnson. Hope I'm wrong.

I agree with most of the perspective here. Nojel is good and will get better. He is big and athletic and works hard. Great effort on D which will keep him out of the CMP doghouse. Doubt there will be any off court issues or mom will kick his butt.

Haarms is definite diamond in the rough. What a steal he was and to get to pound against Biggie and Haas for an extra year was a huge plus. Future should be bright.

Reactions: Boilerpointe81
Didn't see any of it (put her on my ignore awhile ago so I can enjoy rational and critical discussions of Purdue basketball) but wouldn't surprise me. Just has that feeling of a Ronnie Johnson. Hope I'm wrong.
Doesn’t matter your perception of who my son is I no who he is and that’s all that matters.

Treed1967, have you been to any practices and if so how do the red shirts look.
I have I’m here now to hang with my son for 2 days he and I will be working in the gym and just spending time with each other. I would imagine both should be getting better.

I no what I said and out of emotions I said that that’s in the past and right now My son is at Purdue getting his education playing on a team that I believe can get to a final 4 with all the talent it has on this roster this season moving forward is what’s important right now that he is getting better to help this team this season.

Reactions: JH 1974 and tjreese
Look Nojel is out there playing meaningful minutes for one reason and one reason only. He is earning them in practice. If you are a true fan of the program you know this is true. To me, that is very encouraging and shows me what I want to see in a young player. Practice play dictating game time.
You sir made the most correct post.

Sir I thank you for understanding and getting what I have been saying.

carsen can shoot, carsen can create his own shot against anyone, carsen can get to the rim. Also CMP gives Carsen more leeway to play outside of the system than most.
Nojel's strength at this time is more creating for others, and using his advantage as a bigger guard. Their games are just different. Carsen, as is, adds something extra to our offensive system. We can accomodate him in our currently offensive philosophy without having to make any changes. Not so with Nojel at this time.
My son can do a lot of what carsen can do not a better shooter than carsen but working on his shot to get it better also can create offense for himself and others and can get to the basket. Carsen is a natural scorer my son is a natural passer who can score as well but right now is this system with a year under his belt carsen is the best option to score the ball than my son and that’s good to have both. One just 6”7 and other is 6 foot but plays bigger than his size. But your assessment is on point couldn’t have said it better

I have I’m here now to hang with my son for 2 days he and I will be working in the gym and just spending time with each other. I would imagine both should be getting better.
specifically to what pchad said about any thoughts you "care and are able" to share on the redshirts...do you know if Aaron Wheeler is in addition to doing spot shooting... if he is working on shot fake and one dribble (with some distance) and shot fake two dribble going both directions. In the videos of Aaron playing before Purdue I saw a lot of spot shooting...and that is great to do, but wondering if you know whether he practices the shot fake and a dribble and then shot fake and two dribbles going both ways (left and right) with that first step covering enough distance to get away from the imaginary D? Just curious how his footwork is coming along in shooting on the move. Nojel is going to find himself on a pretty quick team next year with a Ryan that will still need a screen generally and Shasha that is a bit more athletic but will be better with a screen (as almost all are). Not trying to rush this year because this team is a joy to watch, but like others I'm curious how they are progressing if you are able to say. Lastly, if you are able to say (and if you are not...I understand) how is Jacquil's foot coming along?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT