ADVERTISEMENT

The two freshmen impressed...

Dakota Girl

All-American
Gold Member
Nov 24, 2015
Indy
not with offense but with defense. When Haarms is in it is obvious as everybody sees the blocks and great feet. But just watch Eastern work over the point guard. They were burning the clock down into the low teens before they could even get there offense started each trip. Those two (Haarms and Eastern) are going to be two levels of hell to deal with for offenses over the next three years. The pressure level of our defense will rise and Carsen is a third that can make life rough. He’s going to get a lot of steals off of Eastern’s pressure and length.

not with offense but with defense. When Haarms is in it is obvious as everybody sees the blocks and great feet. But just watch Eastern work over the point guard. They were burning the clock down into the low teens before they could even get there offense started each trip. Those two (Haarms and Eastern) are going to be two levels of hell to deal with for offenses over the next three years. The pressure level of our defense will rise and Carsen is a third that can make life rough. He’s going to get a lot of steals off of Eastern’s pressure and length.

Eastern is getting there....and just waiting patiently for him to start getting into the mix offensively. It's still Lipscomb, but it is good to see where he's at mentally on the defensive end. Haarms has been doing well and it amazes me he doesn't foul out every game with how often he jumps in the air. He's been getting better though.

Also, having not seen much of Eastern before - does the kid not have hops? Didn't he botch a dunk earlier in the year? Yesterday his layup/put back, while I appreciate he did the less flashy move, he barely seemed to get up to put it back.

Reactions: FlashBenz
I am really glad to hear this. For 2 reasons. 1. The importance of D and how hard it is for freshmen, and 2. I couldn't watch yesterday and the announcers didn't say a word about it

Reactions: tjreese
He got some bad calls last night. The slapping down was legit, but the offensive player pushed off a few times it went on the Nojel. His D on the ball is better than off the ball...which is okay for a Mason, but if he were to get a few minutes on Bridges..he needs to improve off the ball...which is more study and visualizing screens before you get caught. Still, I love his willingness to work on his D and stay in a stance with that big frame on the dribble...

Eastern is getting there....and just waiting patiently for him to start getting into the mix offensively. It's still Lipscomb, but it is good to see where he's at mentally on the defensive end. Haarms has been doing well and it amazes me he doesn't foul out every game with how often he jumps in the air. He's been getting better though.

Also, having not seen much of Eastern before - does the kid not have hops? Didn't he botch a dunk earlier in the year? Yesterday his layup/put back, while I appreciate he did the less flashy move, he barely seemed to get up to put it back.
He can jump...but previous dunks that went off the back of the rim were probably in his head and just went for the simple play and he wasn't gathered in this play..more quick than force. Before as you remembered he botched a dunk going hard vertically down the lane with force and then a minute later dunked two handed in the play you described.

He has hops...

https://www.google.com/amp/collegeb...eastern-delivers-vicious-two-handed-dunk/amp/

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
I am really glad to hear this. For 2 reasons. 1. The importance of D and how hard it is for freshmen, and 2. I couldn't watch yesterday and the announcers didn't say a word about it

Rob Hummel mentioned something on the telecast, DDD.....alluding to the step-up from high school, and in particular to Nojel Eastern that (paraphrasing) "he may have to learn to adjust that he can't get used to thinking he'll be able to just take the ball from the player he's guarding......like @ Evanston."

Of course....later on, he picked the Lipscomb guard's pocket reminiscent of Walt Frazier.....Nojel Eastern is coming along......he is going to be a key somewhere down the line in a big moment this season, IMO.

And I agree wholeheartedly that with him and Matt Haarms and Carsen Edwards.....there is the potential to cause some real havoc on the defensive end....the kind that can lead to transition scores.....more than some of us have seen in a while......the type of team that Matt Painter is building is still transitioning.....going to be a little different.....should be entertaining if you don't mind change.

Rob Hummel mentioned something on the telecast, DDD.....alluding to the step-up from high school, and in particular to Nojel Eastern that (paraphrasing) "he may have to learn to adjust that he can't get used to thinking he'll be able to just take the ball from the player he's guarding......like @ Evanston."

Of course....later on, he picked the Lipscomb guard's pocket reminiscent of Walt Frazier.....Nojel Eastern is coming along......he is going to be a key somewhere down the line in a big moment this season, IMO.

And I agree wholeheartedly that with him and Matt Haarms and Carsen Edwards.....there is the potential to cause some real havoc on the defensive end....the kind that can lead to transition scores.....more than some of us have seen in a while......the type of team that Matt Painter is building is still transitioning.....going to be a little different.....should be entertaining if you don't mind change.
Thx - I may have been preoccupied at the moment Rob made those comments ... I don't like to spill a single drop of the good stuff; therefore, it takes ALL my attention.

Thx - I may have been preoccupied at the moment Rob made those comments ... I don't like to spill a single drop of the good stuff; therefore, it takes ALL my attention.

No problem; glad to oblige....you have your priorities figured out.....Happy New Year, DDD.

the-feast-cocktail-roundup.jpg

Still haven't made up my mind about Eastern. He often seems out of control on both ends to me. Hopefully he calms down and gains some control soon.

I haven't really viewed him as out of control that I remember. Occasionally, I have thought that he may be "trying too hard" to make things happen rather than waiting for the opportunities to present themselves and then seizing them, much as one expects from frosh. I think that he is doing very well and is pretty calm overall.

Still haven't made up my mind about Eastern. He often seems out of control on both ends to me. Hopefully he calms down and gains some control soon.
It’s pretty amazing to me how so many on this board question who and what my son can and cannot do. I’ll help you out since you cannot make up your mind up on my son. He is a play making guard who can make plays for himself and his teammates and he isn’t able to do that in this system that runs tons of set plays that suits the players who run it so well and it’s an adjustment he is figuring out more now. Playing out of control don’t see that but I see him being a tad bit aggressive this particular game bcuz some of the players were talking smack that neither of us can hear what a player is saying when guarding up close on a player what one might be saying and it’s apparent that happened and he took offense to it like Haas did when he and that player had words. All I no in the minutes production he is getting he’s been playing well defensively and taking care of the ball better playing within himself in this system that is to slow for My son in my opinion. I no my son games better than and commentator or anybody else for that fact and he is playing much better now than a month ago. Conference play starts next week he’ll be ready to step up his game and step in when he’s needed. Standing 6”7 at 223 pounds athletic, fast he can guard and defend 1/4 positions that is a great asset to have and probably be needed more so as Big 10 play begins and he will be ready to help the team in any way he can. He can play this no this system he runs in my opinion doesn’t allow him to showcase what he can really do but he is adjusting for sure.

It’s pretty amazing to me how so many on this board question who and what my son can and cannot do. I’ll help you out since you cannot make up your mind up on my son. He is a play making guard who can make plays for himself and his teammates and he isn’t able to do that in this system that runs tons of set plays that suits the players who run it so well and it’s an adjustment he is figuring out more now. Playing out of control don’t see that but I see him being a tad bit aggressive this particular game bcuz some of the players were talking smack that neither of us can hear what a player is saying when guarding up close on a player what one might be saying and it’s apparent that happened and he took offense to it like Haas did when he and that player had words. All I no in the minutes production he is getting he’s been playing well defensively and taking care of the ball better playing within himself in this system that is to slow for My son in my opinion. I no my son games better than and commentator or anybody else for that fact and he is playing much better now than a month ago. Conference play starts next week he’ll be ready to step up his game and step in when he’s needed. Standing 6”7 at 223 pounds athletic, fast he can guard and defend 1/4 positions that is a great asset to have and probably be needed more so as Big 10 play begins and he will be ready to help the team in any way he can. He can play this no this system he runs in my opinion doesn’t allow him to showcase what he can really do but he is adjusting for sure.
Prior to your son committing to Purdue, were you unaware that for the past 14 years Matt has run a motion offense and looks to work the ball inside out? Curious why you think this system is not good for your son but was good for perimeter players like E'twuan Moore, Robbie Hummel, Lewis Jackson, Keaton Grant, Terone Johnson, David Teague, and now Carsen Edwards and Vincent Edwards? I would classify most if not all of these guys as "playmakers" and yet they seemed to thrive under Matt's system.

Prior to your son committing to Purdue, were you unaware that for the past 14 years Matt has run a motion offense and looks to work the ball inside out? Curious why you think this system is not good for your son but was good for perimeter players like E'twuan Moore, Robbie Hummel, Lewis Jackson, Keaton Grant, Terone Johnson, David Teague, and now Carsen Edwards and Vincent Edwards? I would classify most if not all of these guys as "playmakers" and yet they seemed to thrive under Matt's system.
In my opinion that is how I feel sir take it for what it is even with your facts you presented. There is no debate here I’m stating my Opinion only how I see it and how my son play. Again he is adjusting and figuring it out as season is playing out.

Reactions: PurduePeteBsie87
nice analysis and write up. Consider accepting some criticism of his game. Every player we have ever had, except Glenn Robinson in my opinion, had flaws as a Freshman. This board will point out every flaw via discussion and all of us true blue Boiler fans hope that through hard work the players will improve and fix those flaws. When Haas was a freshman he was discussed on this board for poor free throw shooting, over fouling, he couldn't jump, couldn't rebound, missed alot of layups, etc. All constructive criticism and he deserved it as a division one highly recruited athlete. I'm proud to say that he has worked hard and has improved in every category and is a . Every one of us can see your sons errors, solid plays, great defense, and long term potential. I fully expect him to be a great player in 2-3 years. Success in division 1 doesn't happen immediately except for a few. I'd rather have a player that earns his success via mistakes and lessons learned than just immediately had. We will win the Big Ten this year because we have 4 seniors that have all improved dramatically in 4 years (specifically PJ and Haas) along with really good bench players.

First off, I'll go on the record in saying that I would advise strongly against these kind of posts. I think it's a disservice to your son and the team to publicly say that he isn't being properly utilized...when he already has a role on a senior-laden team that's currently ranked #13 in the country.

With that said, Painter adjusts to the talent he has. The style of play will be much different in years to come. If Nojel keeps playing his role and working to improve his game, he'll be a key piece in shaping our style of play down the road. Right now, he's filling in nicely and learning on the fly...and he and Purdue will be better b/c of it. One thing that should be readily apparent to any Purdue fan: Painter will reward players that play with defensive intensity, and Nojel is already there. That bodes very well for him down the road.

From Boredom, I decided to take a look at the minutes played by those around Eastern in his recruiting class. Understand that I truly like Nojel and think he will be a dominate force for us in the future. This is NOT a knock in any way on Nojel, just some stats that are pure data, no emotion. I took the 8 players that were ranked around him at 247.
O'Connell at Duke --- 12.6 minutes per game
Nowell at Washington --- 31.7 minutes per game
Hill at UCLA --- 0 minutes per game
Lykes at Miami --- 16.1 minutes per game
Eastern at Purdue --- 12 minutes per game
Perry at Louisville --- 8 minutes per game
Baker at KY --- 0 minutes per game
Mossell at Maryland --- 24 minutes per game
Wesson at OSU --- 15 minutes per game

In my opinion that is how I feel sir take it for what it is even with your facts you presented. There is no debate here I’m stating my Opinion only how I see it and how my son play. Again he is adjusting and figuring it out as season is playing out.
nojel is contributing on a top 15 team. he's playing great defense and getting more comfortable each game on offense. The transition from hs to college ball is a big jump. He's getting better each week and has a bright future.

Totally agree with the original premise (Eastern and Haarms being good on D).

Other than Haarms' blocks, their box score won't jump out at you, but they both play a *very important part* of this team.

When most teams go to their bench, there is a drop off. It's extremely valuable that when we go to our bench, our defense doesn't drop ... in fact, you could argue that our D goes UP a notch. We have enough scoring options and balance through our seniors and Carsen.

If these 2 keep bringing their energy, keep turnovers to a minimum and are selectively opportunistic scoring, we are really tough to beat.

Boiler Up!

Nojel is playing on a senior laden team that has played together for four years. You had to know that his freshman year he was going to be a role player off the bench. After this year he will have a great shot to play starters minutes and control the reigns of the offense for 3 years. In the mean time, please be patient and enjoy the ride this year with this top 15 team. I know it’s hard for any player to get into a rythem when only playing 10-15 mins a game, but that is going to be his role this year. If he keeps playing solid D and valuing the basketball he will continue to help this team. Again, patience this year, and next year Nojel can really blossom. Nojel will have a successful career at Purdue when its all said and done.

First off, I'll go on the record in saying that I would advise strongly against these kind of posts. I think it's a disservice to your son and the team to publicly say that he isn't being properly utilized...when he already has a role on a senior-laden team that's currently ranked #13 in the country.

With that said, Painter adjusts to the talent he has. The style of play will be much different in years to come. If Nojel keeps playing his role and working to improve his game, he'll be a key piece in shaping our style of play down the road. Right now, he's filling in nicely and learning on the fly...and he and Purdue will be better b/c of it. One thing that should be readily apparent to any Purdue fan: Painter will reward players that play with defensive intensity, and Nojel is already there. That bodes very well for him down the road.
Did I say he was wasn’t being utilized the right way NO I said I believe the system does not showcase his skill set in a way that can help the team sir. No knock on painter the team or players it works well for the players who have been here longer than my son who knows it well producing wins. Like I said he his a play making guard that can make plays for himself and others when he has moving more and in this system that runs a lot of sets inside to the big man and having great perimeter shooters this team has it looks dam good when they run it. He is adjusting like I said figuring it out to be more affective offensively more than anything. Defensively he looks better to me and these are just my options this no slam on what painter is doing I just no how my son plays. Your opinion is dully noted thanks for the advice

From Boredom, I decided to take a look at the minutes played by those around Eastern in his recruiting class. Understand that I truly like Nojel and think he will be a dominate force for us in the future. This is NOT a knock in any way on Nojel, just some stats that are pure data, no emotion. I took the 8 players that were ranked around him at 247.
O'Connell at Duke --- 12.6 minutes per game
Nowell at Washington --- 31.7 minutes per game
Hill at UCLA --- 0 minutes per game
Lykes at Miami --- 16.1 minutes per game
Eastern at Purdue --- 12 minutes per game
Perry at Louisville --- 8 minutes per game
Baker at KY --- 0 minutes per game
Mossell at Maryland --- 24 minutes per game
Wesson at OSU --- 15 minutes per game
Using Hill makes no sense he’s suspended for the rest of the season hasn’t played 1 game. Not sure what you trying to point out but to me it’s about the here and now what matters to me and how he can most be affective this season to help this team win. Thanks for your data

Nojel is playing on a senior laden team that has played together for four years. You had to know that his freshman year he was going to be a role player off the bench. After this year he will have a great shot to play starters minutes and control the reigns of the offense for 3 years. In the mean time, please be patient and enjoy the ride this year with this top 15 team. I know it’s hard for any player to get into a rythem when only playing 10-15 mins a game, but that is going to be his role this year. If he keeps playing solid D and valuing the basketball he will continue to help this team. Again, patience this year, and next year Nojel can really blossom. Nojel will have a successful career at Purdue when its all said and done.
Gotcha

For the role your son plays in on this extremely talented and experienced team, I think he plays great!

He will have a much larger role next year and the years to come and people will be eating their words IMO from what they have said this year.

He’s a great kid and a great Boiler. Tune out the couch coaches.

Agreed. Painter says a player can always contribute, don't let one aspect of your game affect the others. Nojel is trying to find his place and contribute in the offense but has clearly devoted serious time and effort to improving his defense........and it's showing on the court. That speaks volumes about Nojel.

As you said, Painter adjusts to his players' strengths. This offense is going to change the next few years and will fit Nojel's strengths very well.

Using Hill makes no sense he’s suspended for the rest of the season hasn’t played 1 game. Not sure what you trying to point out but to me it’s about the here and now what matters to me and how he can most be affective this season to help this team win. Thanks for your data
I just chose the four above and the four below and looked-up their minutes ... nothing more.

I haven't really viewed him as out of control that I remember. Occasionally, I have thought that he may be "trying too hard" to make things happen rather than waiting for the opportunities to present themselves and then seizing them, much as one expects from frosh. I think that he is doing very well and is pretty calm overall.

As Robbie pointed out in the broadcast, when he is jamming the PG bringing the ball up he goes for steals to much. Then he ends up having to chase him down the court causing a little 4 on 5. This puts pressure on the rest of the D as someone has to temporarily pick up the ball handler as Eastern recovers. Hasn't burned us to bad yet, but sooner or later teams will take advantage of that and it will. Just need to stay in front and apply some pressure to make them work a little like PJ does. On offense, still at times looks a little lost or misreads cuts. Just seems to be having trouble getting in sync with the other guys at times. Just seems to me, the basketball IQ isn't there right now. Physical ability he has, but got to learn to play smarter.

Reactions: SKYDOG
As Robbie pointed out in the broadcast, when he is jamming the PG bringing the ball up he goes for steals to much. Then he ends up having to chase him down the court causing a little 4 on 5. This puts pressure on the rest of the D as someone has to temporarily pick up the ball handler as Eastern recovers. Hasn't burned us to bad yet, but sooner or later teams will take advantage of that and it will. Just need to stay in front and apply some pressure to make them work a little like PJ does. On offense, still at times looks a little lost or misreads cuts. Just seems to be having trouble getting in sync with the other guys at times. Just seems to me, the basketball IQ isn't there right now. Physical ability he has, but got to learn to play smarter.
That is your opinion I see different coach

Reactions: atmafola
Agreed. Painter says a player can always contribute, don't let one aspect of your game affect the others. Nojel is trying to find his place and contribute in the offense but has clearly devoted serious time and effort to improving his defense........and it's showing on the court. That speaks volumes about Nojel.

As you said, Painter adjusts to his players' strengths. This offense is going to change the next few years and will fit Nojel's strengths very well.
I’m not sure what’s gonna change next year or years to come what I no is there is still a season to be played now and that is the season I worry about and making sure my son continues to get better now to help this team this season. He’s getting it he’s looking better and finding his way on this very experienced senior laden team that is very good and in my opinion he is figuring it out that is what I care about at this point. Good points though

For the role your son plays in on this extremely talented and experienced team, I think he plays great!

He will have a much larger role next year and the years to come and people will be eating their words IMO from what they have said this year.

He’s a great kid and a great Boiler. Tune out the couch coaches.
Gotcha thanks

The system will evolve to fit him next year and beyond when Nojel and Carsen are the primary ball handlers and scorers. Some simply don’t seem to understand that players get better with experience or maybe they just don’t say it as they comment. Nojel, Carsen, Ryan, Haarms, and I’m guessing Aaron will be a very different set of capabilities and Matt will change to make it work for them. But I love great defense and I think those five will bring something special on that front.

Reactions: tjreese
The system will evolve to fit him next year and beyond when Nojel and Carsen are the primary ball handlers and scorers. Some simply don’t seem to understand that players get better with experience or maybe they just don’t say it as they comment. Nojel, Carsen, Ryan, Haarms, and I’m guessing Aaron will be a very different set of capabilities and Matt will change to make it work for them. But I love great defense and I think those five will bring something special on that front.
I appreciate your opinion as well and you may be right about what team looks like next season or what changes painter will make next season all good points but honestly I’m only concerned about this season and what my son can do to help this team this season. No guarantees in life so I can’t look to the future right now but look into the present and make sure my son continues to improve now and being ready help this team the rest of this season. Everyone ones opinions has good insight on who and what my son can cannot do but I no who and what my son can do and in due time this season he’ll have his time he’ll make an impact on this to help them get Ws and win the big 10 again and make a deep run in the tournament. Thanks for your opinions I do appreciate them all. All have substance.

Most get better over time, but some don't. This years senior class won't be easy to replace.

It is going to be a LONG and AWKWARD four years around here. Feel bad for Matt that he has to put up with such nonsense. I just hope Nojel doesn't listen to all of this nonsense that you are surely telling him. It's hard enough to recruit and coach players these days without parents getting on the team's message board and threatening that her son would not be coming back next year and that the coach's system is too slow for her son and doesn't allow him to showcase his skills. Good grief.

Just checked. Haarms now 14th in the nation in Blocks (3.6bpg). When you consider "Blocks per 40 minutes of play", he jumps up to 2nd at around 6.3 per game (trailing only FSU's center who has 7.2).

46 blocks has Haarms at #4 on the Purdue freshman list (JBC 82, AJH 67, R.Cross 60). He needs to get to 70 to crack the top 10 for the Purdue single season list (any class).

His current 0.565 FG% would slot Haarms at #5 on the Purdue freshman list (he currently has 62 FGA & needs at least 100 FGA to qualify)

His current 0.000 3P% probably has Haarms tied for worst in Purdue history :)

ADVERTISEMENT