ADVERTISEMENT

The Shot Doctor

I know some don't care for the linked site, but I thought this was a nice read on how Dakota and Carsen are getting some help on their games. High praise for both of them here.

https://www.hammerandrails.com/platform/amp/2017/8/11/16127888/purdue-basketball-guiding-light
nice read but the original shot doctor died. He used to work with many teams...Keady used him, Duke used him. I haven't read enough on this guy to see if he takes on the same approach as Ernie did

My thoughts too
since you are in mackey, I wondered if you ran into ERnie in the past? I've had very limited exposure to Ernie in working with Mike Robinson. I found him to be very kind and available...just a great guy it appeared who truly loved helping others become better shooters. Here I was a nobody watching some camp and he was behind me talking to another on shooting and I started talking about Baumgartner and such and he asked if I wanted to work with him and Cardinal which ended up being Mike Robinson due to conflicts Brian had. He gave me his card and told me to call him if I ever had any questions...and yet I knew he was very busy. Anyway, Ernie who was well known throughout the country may have been a better person than shooting instructor if that was possible...at least based upon my very limited exposure. It appears the new shot doctor was a name Yogi gave and in reading the article it sounds like more teaching of types of shots and basketball things relative to shooting than the actual breakdown of the shooting that Ernie did.

Anyway, wouldn't we all love for Carsen to not be quite as streaky? Good article and can't wait to see them tonight

Why didn't we just get Mount and Keller to come in an instruct? Mount can still outshoot anybody on the current Purdue team and Keller could certainly make these guys better free throw shooters.

Why didn't we just get Mount and Keller to come in an instruct? Mount can still outshoot anybody on the current Purdue team and Keller could certainly make these guys better free throw shooters.
who knows the real answer to that...although we know that Mount and Gene had a falling out. That said, Mount, Baumgartner and Ernie stressed different things. Without Gene other coaches could have hired Mount as well...maybe it was a location thing too?

It's complicated ...

since you are in mackey, I wondered if you ran into ERnie in the past? I've had very limited exposure to Ernie in working with Mike Robinson. I found him to be very kind and available...just a great guy it appeared who truly loved helping others become better shooters. Here I was a nobody watching some camp and he was behind me talking to another on shooting and I started talking about Baumgartner and such and he asked if I wanted to work with him and Cardinal which ended up being Mike Robinson due to conflicts Brian had. He gave me his card and told me to call him if I ever had any questions...and yet I knew he was very busy. Anyway, Ernie who was well known throughout the country may have been a better person than shooting instructor if that was possible...at least based upon my very limited exposure. It appears the new shot doctor was a name Yogi gave and in reading the article it sounds like more teaching of types of shots and basketball things relative to shooting than the actual breakdown of the shooting that Ernie did.

Anyway, wouldn't we all love for Carsen to not be quite as streaky? Good article and can't wait to see them tonight
I spent one day watching him work with the team. But I laid low and absorbed. My son was in MS as I recall and I was selfishly getting all I could to take home with me. I did spend a lot of time with Mount when he was traveling doing clinics, but I had videos that Ernie made with the specific mechanics and geometry that was the core of his teaching.

I think if you consider the costs in time, family, and relaxation that Ernie expended vs the income he received, it's clear that he did it out of love. Thus, a great man.

I spent one day watching him work with the team. But I laid low and absorbed. My son was in MS as I recall and I was selfishly getting all I could to take home with me. I did spend a lot of time with Mount when he was traveling doing clinics, but I had videos that Ernie made with the specific mechanics and geometry that was the core of his teaching.

I think if you consider the costs in time, family, and relaxation that Ernie expended vs the income he received, it's clear that he did it out of love. Thus, a great man.
their has been a couple of guys named the shot doctor out East here. Currently , a small school coach named Herb McGee down in Philly who has over 500 wins. Also a coach named Hank Slider from Allentown,Pa who passed away in 1999. He made a name for himself w/ instructing local colleges like Lafayette College when I believe the older Tripucka brothers played there. He later was called in to instruct at schools like Duke, Temple, and Vandy. The schools he instructed finished No. 1 in the country at FT shooting 5 times. After that, he was credited w/ making the shots of Billy Cunnungham, Dr.J, Karl Malone, D. Wilkins, and Doc Rivers better. In 1972 I think, he was the first non coach to ever speak at a Final Four convention.

Reactions: tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT