ADVERTISEMENT

The OL recruiting myth

20120908_gav_sc5_112.0.jpg
Pass. I liked Danny, but that woudl be a disaster.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Somewhat. Cant chop block everyone like he did under Tiller.

More so the way he left last time. I know Morgan is gone, but that wasnt the best look by Danny
I don’t know how he left.. was it like Andrew Jackson’s inauguration? Did it involve a pick up truck and a case of Stroh’s ?

• Haha
Reactions: Cleanface
I don’t know how he left.. was it like Andrew Jackson’s inauguration? Did it involve a pick up truck and a case of Stroh’s ?
I wish it involved a rack of strohs. but it didnt.

He went on local tv, did an interview, and said his firing was unprofessional.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Just wanted to get some numbers out there because I keep reading references to poor OL recruiting.
This is in no way to imply that the OL is not a problem. I was the one talking about it over the summer being the main area that limits the win ceiling at 6 or 7 this season.
But let's try to be precise when talking about issues. This is not, strictly speaking, a recruiting problem. At least not according to the numbers and relative to recruiting other positions.

2017 (#72 class)
Avg player rating = 0.818
Avg OL rating (qty 6) = 0.808
Top OL rating = 0.830 (Stickford)

2018 (#52 class)
Avg player rating = 0.847
Avg OL rating (qty 4) = 0.849
Top OL rating = 0.861 (McKenna)

2019 (#25 class)
Avg player rating = 0.866
Avg OL rating (qty 4) = 0.843
Top OL rating = 0.857 (Jornigan)

2020 (#32 class)
Avg player rating = 0.864
Avg OL rating (qty 4) = 0.859
Top OL rating = 0.894 (Hartwig)

2021 (#76 class)
Avg player rating = 0.851
Avg OL rating (qty 4) = 0.851
Top OL rating = 0.855 (Alstott)

As the numbers show, the OL recruiting has been basically on par with the overall recruiting. The staff has signed between 4-6 guys each year, plus some transfers.

There have been linemen in each class that were rated above players that are currently starting at other positions.
2017: All of the OL recruits were above O'Connell and Horvath
2018: McKenna and Bramel were above Trice, Alexander, Sullivan. Miller was above Johnson, Deen, and Durham.
2019: Jornigan was over Miller and Allen.
2020: Hartwig was over all but a few guys

In short, the recruiting was plenty good enough, on paper, to have a serviceable offensive line by 2021.

What this doesn't prove is whether the ratings of our OL recruits were collectively off or whether, more likely, there is a development issue at the OL position.
Keeping guys healthy and getting them much better as juniors and seniors than they were when they walked in a freshmen are the only two issues we should be talking about in regards to the offensive line. I am not going to tell you what combination of coaching, strength & conditioning, and just bad luck with health that is because I don't know. If you read my other posts I have my eyes on S&C.

But it is absolutely NOT a glaring hole in recruiting.

I was talking to one of the OL that would be in his senior season this year. He said he was sitting with three others at the Illinois game and they were commiserating that if each one hadn't been injured, then they would have worked together for several years, gotten stronger and probably been a force to deal with.

Yeah, I know, injuries happen, but to think that all 4 could have stayed healthy was a very real frustration for them.

BTW, the young man is a great representative for Purdue and I wish things had gone better for him. Hard to predict, but he might have had a future on Sundays.

Attrition is a big issue with the OL. Weve lost the following players to injury

Bramel
Beach
Jornigan
Garvin

Additionally, Craig still is dealing with injury but is attempting to play through it.

Strickford and McKenna retired.

That is a lot of upperclassmen to lose.
Don't conflict the angries with facts.

Reactions: RossMackey
I said this 3-4 years ago here and was demonized for it, but I‘m of the mindset in today’s football world that you need to recruit size/strength first for the OL, then speed… CJB has never recruited size and is on the record for valuing smaller OL recruits who he believes can move faster. The result? We see it each and every weekend in the fall when we’re not playing UCONN. Fleck was hired the same year as CJB and currently has 8 OL on the roster at or above 320 lbs. We have… none.

Using size as your first criteria is a recipe for disaster unless you’re recruiting at the Ohio State or Alabama level. You want the 3 Fs: Feet, Frame and Force.

Here are the weights of Iowa’s starting OL as seniors in high school:

Two of those kids were walk-ons and two were lightly recruited defensive linemen. The key is to get athletic kids you can develop, not kids whose size is going to look most impressive when they arrive on campus.

Two of those kids were walk-ons and two were lightly recruited defensive linemen. The key is to get athletic kids you can develop, not kids whose size is going to look most impressive when they arrive on campus.
I saw an article about Iowa's starting OL several years ago. They were all wrestlers who finished first in their respective states in HS. So they are also athletes who know how to maximize the use of leverage and have strength to begin with, perhaps much better people to begin with than just another over-sized football player.

I saw an article about Iowa's starting OL several years ago. They were all wrestlers who finished first in their respective states in HS. So they are also athletes who know how to maximize the use of leverage and have strength to begin with, perhaps much better people to begin with than just another over-sized football player.
No perhaps needed. You don't GET to state unless you are a strong, tough guy (and skilled of course).
To WIN state = one bad mf'er.
No matter the size.
240+ winning state = a football player with a very large head start physically. Stronger or quicker than most guys his size. Or both. Tremendous amount of time spent on balance and keeping your feet. Yeh, give me some of that!

No perhaps needed. You don't GET to state unless you are a strong, tough guy (and skilled of course).
To WIN state = one bad mf'er.
No matter the size.
240+ winning state = a football player with a very large head start physically. Stronger or quicker than most guys his size. Or both. Tremendous amount of time spent on balance and keeping your feet. Yeh, give me some of that!
Core strength on those guys is key. another poster has postulated that the reason for the string of OL injuries is lack of core development prior to bulking up. I tend to agree.

Core strength on those guys is key. another poster has postulated that the reason for the string of OL injuries is lack of core development prior to bulking up. I tend to agree.
To me the neck is almost always a tell. I know its anecdotal, but if I see an offensive lineman from the shoulders up I can usually tell you whether he has spent the time properly developing physically. The pencil neck guys who throw on a bunch of weight quickly to get on the field at 300 pounds just don't cut it and seem to be more injury prone. You can turn the 250 pound recruit into a force, but it takes a few years of proper S&C to do it right. IMO the lack of line depth pushed improper S&C practices, and the injuries had a snowball effect. Whatever goes down this year, I'd like to see a couple more OL transfers in to give the young guys a chance to develop properly.

Last edited:
The key is to get athletic kids you can develop, not kids whose size is going to look most impressive when they arrive on campus.
Nah, pretty sure I read on this forum that we only want OLs who come in over 6’-5” and 300 lbs…

Using size as your first criteria is a recipe for disaster unless you’re recruiting at the Ohio State or Alabama level. You want the 3 Fs: Feet, Frame and Force.

The second key is just as critical...being able to then develop them.

You’re absolutely right about the wrestling. There’s a great video out there of Tyler Linderbaum pinning Tristan Wirfs when they were both in high school. In addition to what you mentioned, if a kid was a successful wrestler, you know he’s a hard worker and he’s not afraid to compete.

The first excellent OL that Ferentz had at Iowa was, not coincidentally, the first time he won a B1G title. Their best three linemen in 2002, Gallery (eventual Outland winner), Steinbach (All-American) and Nelson (All-Big Ten), all came to Iowa as tight ends. After that, the Iowa staff started offering a lot of larger high school tight ends to turn them into OLs. A few of them turned out well, but a lot of them didn’t. A lot of those kids turned out to not pack as much of a punch in the running game and often didn’t have a lot of short-space quickness the Iowa staff likes.

More recently, they’ve been more likely to offer guys who were projected as DLs coming out of high school and then turning them into OLs. Three of this year’s starters fit that description. It makes me think of Howard Schnellenberger’s strategy at Miami of recruiting a whole bunch of DLs and then the ones who didn’t end of making the cut as DLs got turned into OLs.

You’re absolutely right about the wrestling. There’s a great video out there of Tyler Linderbaum pinning Tristan Wirfs when they were both in high school. In addition to what you mentioned, if a kid was a successful wrestler, you know he’s a hard worker and he’s not afraid to compete.

The first excellent OL that Ferentz had at Iowa was, not coincidentally, the first time he won a B1G title. Their best three linemen in 2002, Gallery (eventual Outland winner), Steinbach (All-American) and Nelson (All-Big Ten), all came to Iowa as tight ends. After that, the Iowa staff started offering a lot of larger high school tight ends to turn them into OLs. A few of them turned out well, but a lot of them didn’t. A lot of those kids turned out to not pack as much of a punch in the running game and often didn’t have a lot of short-space quickness the Iowa staff likes.

More recently, they’ve been more likely to offer guys who were projected as DLs coming out of high school and then turning them into OLs. Three of this year’s starters fit that description. It makes me think of Howard Schnellenberger’s strategy at Miami of recruiting a whole bunch of DLs and then the ones who didn’t end of making the cut as DLs got turned into OLs.
Danny Hope did that also. I think Pamphile came in as a DT.

We still need to identify a solution at LT. Craig was supposed to be the guy, but cant shake injury issues.

Coaches are really high on the freshmen group. Alstott and Mbow have a good chance at LT. Mousse has really impressed as well on the outside. They were thinking inside when they recruited him.

Coaches are really high on the freshmen group. Alstott and Mbow have a good chance at LT. Mousse has really impressed as well on the outside. They were thinking inside when they recruited him.
wonder if the coaching staff have checked out former Mich. OL Noah Rumler, he's a former 4 star and under armour game participant currently in portal

wonder if the coaching staff have checked out former Mich. OL Noah Rumler, he's a former 4 star and under armour game participant currently in portal
What's his deal? 4* fallen from grace because of poor work ethic? Injury setbacks? Or simply buried in a deep and talented depth chart?

Just wanted to get some numbers out there because I keep reading references to poor OL recruiting.
This is in no way to imply that the OL is not a problem. I was the one talking about it over the summer being the main area that limits the win ceiling at 6 or 7 this season.
But let's try to be precise when talking about issues. This is not, strictly speaking, a recruiting problem. At least not according to the numbers and relative to recruiting other positions.

2017 (#72 class)
Avg player rating = 0.818
Avg OL rating (qty 6) = 0.808
Top OL rating = 0.830 (Stickford)

2018 (#52 class)
Avg player rating = 0.847
Avg OL rating (qty 4) = 0.849
Top OL rating = 0.861 (McKenna)

2019 (#25 class)
Avg player rating = 0.866
Avg OL rating (qty 4) = 0.843
Top OL rating = 0.857 (Jornigan)

2020 (#32 class)
Avg player rating = 0.864
Avg OL rating (qty 4) = 0.859
Top OL rating = 0.894 (Hartwig)

2021 (#76 class)
Avg player rating = 0.851
Avg OL rating (qty 4) = 0.851
Top OL rating = 0.855 (Alstott)

As the numbers show, the OL recruiting has been basically on par with the overall recruiting. The staff has signed between 4-6 guys each year, plus some transfers.

There have been linemen in each class that were rated above players that are currently starting at other positions.
2017: All of the OL recruits were above O'Connell and Horvath
2018: McKenna and Bramel were above Trice, Alexander, Sullivan. Miller was above Johnson, Deen, and Durham.
2019: Jornigan was over Miller and Allen.
2020: Hartwig was over all but a few guys

In short, the recruiting was plenty good enough, on paper, to have a serviceable offensive line by 2021.

What this doesn't prove is whether the ratings of our OL recruits were collectively off or whether, more likely, there is a development issue at the OL position.
Keeping guys healthy and getting them much better as juniors and seniors than they were when they walked in a freshmen are the only two issues we should be talking about in regards to the offensive line. I am not going to tell you what combination of coaching, strength & conditioning, and just bad luck with health that is because I don't know. If you read my other posts I have my eyes on S&C.

But it is absolutely NOT a glaring hole in recruiting.
You have to question the S&C program. Those that aren't eventually injured are boys being slapped around by men.

Reactions: FirstDownB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT