ADVERTISEMENT

the best thing about freshmen

Schmedly_Whiplash

Sophomore
Nov 5, 2022
is they become sophomores. and have had a year in on weight training.
to those obsessing about our lack of 3pt shooting and the 3 pt shooting of EVERY potential Boilermaker I say "lighten up Francis."

To listen here you'd think that Fletch is never going to be able to shoot again. That he's "lost it" or something. I guess.
He was light and weak and he got hammered game in and game out to take him out of his game. And it worked. As a freshmen starter.
He'll be back. Stronger, smarter and out for payback. If anybody doesn't think he'll be much improved next year I say you're wrong. But time will tell.
Every bit as important is we'll have competent replacements for some of his minutes if needed. Heide can shoot. He hasn't done it here so everyone will be (rightly so) skeptical but all you have to do watch him to see a true shooter. Colvin will bring the explosiveness missing from this years team (Heide too for that matter). Pretty stroke aside Newman never shot it like it looked he should, and he was an upperclassman (BIG difference)
Smith seemingly wore down over the season and the beatings they were taking. He lost his legs on his jumper and he'll be much stronger and better in every area. If Lance can keep him fresher that will be big.
I liked what Brandon brought to the team defensively but his shooting is easily replaced by the incoming guys and freshmen turning into sophs. If Lance can replace his defense, and Heide/Colvin get his shots, we'll be better. If TKR shows he can shoot the mid range jumper that will open up things significantly too.
If Zack leaves this is still a top 20 team.
If he comes back and they shoot like they should this team will be very hard to beat.

to those obsessing about our lack of 3pt shooting and the 3 pt shooting of EVERY potential Boilermaker I say "lighten up Francis."

To listen here you'd think that Fletch is never going to be able to shoot again. That he's "lost it" or something. I guess.

He was light and weak and he got hammered game in and game out to take him out of his game. And it worked. As a freshmen starter.
He'll be back. Stronger, smarter and out for payback. If anybody doesn't think he'll be much improved next year I say you're wrong. But time will tell.

Every bit as important is we'll have competent replacements for some of his minutes if needed. Heide can shoot. He hasn't done it here so everyone will be (rightly so) skeptical but all you have to do watch him to see a true shooter. Colvin will bring the explosiveness missing from this years team (Heide too for that matter). Pretty stroke aside Newman never shot it like it looked he should, and he was an upperclassman (BIG difference)
Smith seemingly wore down over the season and the beatings they were taking. He lost his legs on his jumper and he'll be much stronger and better in every area. If Lance can keep him fresher that will be big.
I liked what Brandon brought to the team defensively but his shooting is easily replaced by the incoming guys and freshmen turning into sophs. If Lance can replace his defense, and Heide/Colvin get his shots, we'll be better. If TKR shows he can shoot the mid range jumper that will open up things significantly too.
If he comes back and they shoot like they should this team will be very hard to beat.
that is a lot of ifs

My thoughts exactly. I mean we've never seen guys not develop and/or actually regress right?
If we were talking regress for us, if there was someone like that I might say Aaron Wheeler.
If all the planet line up for us next year, we might finally get to that FF again

Just another team that is hard to beat like last year with a few extras. Last year was fantastic to watch as a fan....so I am excited. But even though you bolded it, for some reason, I am still nervous about March. Is that ok? 😎

Just another team that is hard to beat like last year with a few extras. Last year was fantastic to watch as a fan....so I am excited. But even though you bolded it, for some reason, I am still nervous about March. Is that ok? 😎
I just typed, it bolded for some reason.

If Lance can give Smith a blow.
If Lance can replace Newmans D.
That's not a lot of ifs.
If Lance can replace his defense, and Heide/Colvin get his shots, we'll be better. If TKR shows he can shoot the mid range jumper that will open up things significantly too.
If he comes back and they shoot like they should this team will be very hard to beat. you forgot these

Reactions: Schnelk
Well with Heide Berg and Colvin coming I feel pretty positive....nothing against Jaden , but I think Colvin will be a stronger team player and might actually play defense....which was seriously missing with Jaden. I realize he is a "freshman " and we need to manage expectations, but I feel our bench will be even stronger this coming year and more athletic. If others step up for the "whole season ", taking focus off the post , whomever is there , we would be more balanced , which was missing especially at the end of this season.

Well with Heide Berg and Colvin coming I feel pretty positive....nothing against Jaden , but I think Colvin will be a stronger team player and might actually play defense....which was seriously missing with Jaden. I realize he is a "freshman " and we need to manage expectations, but I feel our bench will be even stronger this coming year and more athletic. If others step up for the "whole season ", taking focus off the post , whomever is there , we would be more balanced , which was missing especially at the end of this season.
I'm high on Colvin, but Colvin will not only be a frosh but a really young one at that. I believe he reclassified. I think he'll have a Jaden Ivey esque Purdue career. Some flashes his Frosh year and then explode on the scene his soph year.

Last edited:
Being broke from 3 late wasn’t just a Fletcher is a freshman thing. We’ve seen it with Hunter, Morton, IT, Sasha, Gillis, Newman, etc. down the stretch and in tournament games too and they were all upper classmen. Seems more of a confidence/puckering up in crunch time problem than an age or experience one. Somebody on the staff needs to figure out a fix ASAP.

Edit: throw Furst in there too.

Being broke from 3 late wasn’t just a Fletcher is a freshman thing. We’ve seen it with Hunter, Morton, IT, Sasha, Gillis, Newman, etc. down the stretch and in tournament games too and they were all upper classmen. Seems more of a confidence/puckering up in crunch time problem than an age or experience one. Somebody on the staff needs to figure out a fix ASAP.

Edit: throw Furst in there too.
You either have the confidence or you dont.
It opens doors for other players to step up.
Always has, always will.

If Lance can replace his defense, and Heide/Colvin get his shots, we'll be better. If TKR shows he can shoot the mid range jumper that will open up things significantly too.
If he comes back and they shoot like they should this team will be very hard to beat. you forgot these
Not seeing the difference in Zack leaving as an if versus 'if" someone gets better = clueless
You disagree that if he comes back they will be hard to beat (shooting like they should or NOT)?????
geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Not seeing the difference in Zack leaving as an if versus 'if" someone gets better = clueless
You disagree that if he comes back they will be hard to beat (shooting like they should or NOT)?????
geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
still a lot of ifs no matter how you spin it

You either have the confidence or you dont.
It opens doors for other players to step up.
Always has, always will.
But why do they seem to have the confidence early in the season but not late or in the tournament? Particularly when they win the amounts of games they have recently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT