ADVERTISEMENT

The 2023 team will be almost a new team

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
With graduations, transfers in, transfers out, and the new recruiting class, this 2023 team almost seems like an entirely new team.

Part of this was due to a coaching change. However, is this a new norm/expectation each year with NIL and the portal or will this be a one off with this much change?

I'd say the magnitude of changes we've seen this year may be a one off. I think we are looking at between 10 to 12 (maybe more) new starters that weren't on last years roster, but I think the norm will be about 3-6 new starters who were not on the team in the previous year (could be more in a year following a bad season). I think a lot of this year is Walters wanting to get guys in that fit his system. I don't think Brohm's regime left the cupboard bare, but I do think they struggled to develop talent (specifically on defense and the Oline) which makes it challenging for Walters to come in and be successful immediately without dipping into the transfer portal significantly.

Reactions: tenwest
I'd say the magnitude of changes we've seen this year may be a one off. I think we are looking at between 10 to 12 (maybe more) new starters that weren't on last years roster, but I think the norm will be about 3-6 new starters who were not on the team in the previous year (could be more in a year following a bad season). I think a lot of this year is Walters wanting to get guys in that fit his system. I don't think Brohm's regime left the cupboard bare, but I do think they struggled to develop talent (specifically on defense and the Oline) which makes it challenging for Walters to come in and be successful immediately without dipping into the transfer portal significantly.
I do like the portal talent we are getting at DB

With graduations, transfers in, transfers out, and the new recruiting class, this 2023 team almost seems like an entirely new team.

Part of this was due to a coaching change. However, is this a new norm/expectation each year with NIL and the portal or will this be a one off with this much change?
I'd argue that the 2023 team will be a "used" team. A vehicle is only new when it has never been owned previously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT