ADVERTISEMENT

Talk about not getting it

32zone

True Freshman
Nov 18, 2010
I'm friends with a high school classmate on Facebook. She lives in New Jersey. She started a Facebook page where as she put it "like minded" friends and relatives can go and discuss how the democrats lost the election.

Soooooo.....people who live on the coasts who are already surrounded by people who MOSTLY think like them can't figure out how they lost the election. And they think the answer is to COMPLETELY shut out people who think differently from them?

Last edited:
I'm friends with a high school classmate on Facebook. She lives in New Jersey. She started a Facebook page where as she put it "like minded" friends and relatives can go and discuss how the democrats lost the election.

Soooooo.....people in who live on the coasts who are already surrounded by people who MOSTLY think like them can't figure out how they lost the election. And they think the answer is to COMPLETELY shut out people who think differently from them?
That's been very disconcerting to see people "unfriending" others on social media because they voted for Trump or are willing to support President Trump. I was accused of "tacitly supporting a racist, misogynistic bigot" because I posted that being divisive is wrong regardless of party affiliation. That was it. It's crazy.

Reactions: 32zone
That's been very disconcerting to see people "unfriending" others on social media because they voted for Trump or are willing to support President Trump. I was accused of "tacitly supporting a racist, misogynistic bigot" because I posted that being divisive is wrong regardless of party affiliation. That was it. It's crazy.
ya...i didn't say a word about it on social media. the groupthink is just too much to try to fight against. there's no discussion, there's no compromise, there's no middle ground.

Welcome to the world of the left. They always want to shut down any speech that doesn't agree with them. Stephanie Miller, for example, has an intro tag line something like " listen to Steph because until we can shut down right wing talk Steph is the answer" they don't want discourse.

Welcome to the world of the left. They always want to shut down any speech that doesn't agree with them. Stephanie Miller, for example, has an intro tag line something like " listen to Steph because until we can shut down right wing talk Steph is the answer" they don't want discourse.
... says the guy who wanted to get rid of "partisanship, partisanship, partisanship...". Basically, your MO has been to attempt to shut down anyone who doesn't agree with you as well.

... says the guy who wanted to get rid of "partisanship, partisanship, partisanship...". Basically, your MO has been to attempt to shut down anyone who doesn't agree with you as well.
Can you not add to a post without personal insults? I'm beginning to think not.

Can you not add to a post without personal insults? I'm beginning to think not.
What personal insult is in there? What name did I call him? You weren't here when he went off on a bunch of liberals about "partisanship", and yet he pretty much only toes one party line and shuts down other conversation. I was critical of his actions and posts, not of him. I don't know him.

You seem awfully sensitive considering your political tack, and considering you continue to come at me for whatever reason, I'd say that you're right in line with the people you like to call out: basically, if someone disagrees with you, you accuse them of personal insults and "aggressive tone."

What personal insult is in there? What name did I call him? You weren't here when he went off on a bunch of liberals about "partisanship", and yet he pretty much only toes one party line and shuts down other conversation. I was critical of his actions and posts, not of him. I don't know him.

You seem awfully sensitive considering your political tack, and considering you continue to come at me for whatever reason, I'd say that you're right in line with the people you like to call out: basically, if someone disagrees with you, you accuse them of personal insults and "aggressive tone."
I'm not going to argue with you about this. You didn't insult him or call him names but you did take a discussion about those who are insulating themselves from opposing views and make it personal. You're not the only one around her that does that from what I can tell - I just would like to see fellow Boilers discuss ideas/topics without making it personal. That's all.

....take a discussion about those who are insulating themselves from opposing views ...
And anyway, I think my comment was actually well within the boundaries of the discussion. Bruce1 has history of accusing people of partisanship when they post views that differ from his very conservative viewpoints. He responds as such, thus to see him now being critical of others who shut down conversation that does not align with their own is, again, hypocritical... which was my entire point. So yes, if I see someone being a hypocrite, I'm going to point it out especially when it is germane to the topic being discussed. If you don't like that, I invite you to put me on ignore. Otherwise, I'd challenge you to look at about four other threads where I've interacted with you very civilly, but for whatever reason you've either chosen to ignore those responses and focus on one or two instances where I am "aggressive" or "personal" with posters who have history on here of being irrational, emotional, or otherwise doing the very things you're criticizing me of being. That you've not been around to establish any credibility, and you have no idea the personalities of the posters involved, but have singled me out for this criticism speaks volumes, considering that superficially you may think my viewpoints don't align with yours as I do not harken to the Light of the Right in all things and am not celebrating Trump's victory.

Shut down free speech? Absolutely Wrong GR, I have NEVER said anything about shutting down someone with differing views than mine. You are referencing my comments amount partisanship during the Red vs Blue posts a while back. At that time I argued that there were posters from the Blue side who were so one sided that they could not accept anything positive in the other side. I may strongly disagree with what you say but I will fight for your right to say it no matter how disgusting your words might be to me.

And anyway, I think my comment was actually well within the boundaries of the discussion. Bruce1 has history of accusing people of partisanship when they post views that differ from his very conservative viewpoints. He responds as such, thus to see him now being critical of others who shut down conversation that does not align with their own is, again, hypocritical... which was my entire point. So yes, if I see someone being a hypocrite, I'm going to point it out especially when it is germane to the topic being discussed. If you don't like that, I invite you to put me on ignore. Otherwise, I'd challenge you to look at about four other threads where I've interacted with you very civilly, but for whatever reason you've either chosen to ignore those responses and focus on one or two instances where I am "aggressive" or "personal" with posters who have history on here of being irrational, emotional, or otherwise doing the very things you're criticizing me of being. That you've not been around to establish any credibility, and you have no idea the personalities of the posters involved, but have singled me out for this criticism speaks volumes, considering that superficially you may think my viewpoints don't align with yours as I do not harken to the Light of the Right in all things and am not celebrating Trump's victory.
Fair enough.

Soooooo.....people who live on the coasts who are already surrounded by people who MOSTLY think like them can't figure out how they lost the election. And they think the answer is to COMPLETELY shut out people who think differently from them?

This is somewhat related. I have read several articles in concern with Hilary Clinton's campaign and how they all but ignored Bill Clinton when he advised them that the left really needed to go out and campaign to the white middle class voter. Essentially the articles stated that he was all but being ignored by the campaign. The campaign reportedly shut Bill Clinton out and relied on a computer algorithm they themselves designed. The self affirmation crowd for certain.

Even now Democrats are taking solace in they do not need to change much as they won the popular vote. Still have not figured out it does not matter in a GE Presidential election.

Even more generally, liberals/left/other other campaigns did not heed Bill Clinton's advice-a guy that might know a thing or two about winning elections.

At that time I argued that there were posters from the Blue side who were so one sided that they could not accept anything positive in the other side.
And yet you were and are so completely one-sided that you do exactly what you say you were denouncing from the "other side". It's not about shutting down free speech; it's about fostering discussion, and when you accuse people of being blindly partisan rather than listening/reading the content of their words, you do the exact opposite of that.

And yet you were and are so completely one-sided that you do exactly what you say you were denouncing from the "other side". It's not about shutting down free speech; it's about fostering discussion, and when you accuse people of being blindly partisan rather than listening/reading the content of their words, you do the exact opposite of that.
I responded to people that refused to discuss HRC but instead constantly changed the subject to Trump. That's what caused my reaction.

This is somewhat related. I have read several articles in concern with Hilary Clinton's campaign and how they all but ignored Bill Clinton when he advised them that the left really needed to go out and campaign to the white middle class voter. Essentially the articles stated that he was all but being ignored by the campaign. The campaign reportedly shut Bill Clinton out and relied on a computer algorithm they themselves designed. The self affirmation crowd for certain.

Even now Democrats are taking solace in they do not need to change much as they won the popular vote. Still have not figured out it does not matter in a GE Presidential election.

Even more generally, liberals/left/other other campaigns did not heed Bill Clinton's advice-a guy that might know a thing or two about winning elections.
This I totally believe. Bill Clinton and his era of prosperity and centrist D was roundly trashed by the Bernie crowd. Then when Bubba made the (out of context) perceived gaffe with the "craziest thing" statement related to Obamacare - it seemed to give the campaign an excuse to totally freeze him out.

I don't read any political crap on facebook. I am not willing to get into debates with idiots.

This I totally believe. Bill Clinton and his era of prosperity and centrist D was roundly trashed by the Bernie crowd. Then when Bubba made the (out of context) perceived gaffe with the "craziest thing" statement related to Obamacare - it seemed to give the campaign an excuse to totally freeze him out.
I read that too. But then I read it was more than that, Bill was talking about wining votes in places like Arkansas and in the south like he did. Those votes are rightly gone and were never coming back democrats. The votes to be had were in the rust belt where for generation democrats had support working class through unions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT