ADVERTISEMENT

Starting QB

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
We have 2 capable and experienced QBs, which is a good problem to have. However, even if they both play in the game, who starts the NW game?

I like both of them. They are both great representatives of Purdue However, if both are 100% during camp, I think Sindelar should get that opportunity with the way he finished last year.

Just my opinion.

We have 2 capable and experienced QBs, which is a good problem to have. However, even if they both play in the game, who starts the NW game?

I like both of them. They are both great representatives of Purdue However, if both are 100% during camp, I think Sindelar should get that opportunity with the way he finished last year.

Just my opinion.

I was a huge fan of Blough for most of last year. However, Sindelar's improvement was remarkable. If he's healthy, I think he should be our starter.

I think it would be difficult to justify not starting Sindelar if he’s healthy. He was killing it on a torn ACL at the end of last year.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I believe both are good, but Sindelar's talents match up better with the offense I believe Brohm wants to implement. You don't recruit elite WRs and then run a ball control running attack offense. If the offense is going to be pass happy, the logical choice to run it is Sindelar.

Yeah... I knew this thread was coming.

Yes, it's fodder for good discussion.

But, Sindelar will not be anointed as starting QB because of some "feel good" story from last season. What he did was incredible.

I think we can all agree, Brohm has an eye for the position. What he wants. What he needs. That might be Blough, it might be Sindelar. But, lets not be shallow and say Sindeler "deserves" it for anything other than his performance . . . THIS SEASON.

Reactions: Tommaker
The QB that doesn't turn the ball over is the QB that will start. A better Oline and WRs that can get open catch will open up the offense.

Blough got into rythem faster and had more touch, but Sindelar has arm strength. Blough seemed to turn the ball over at the worst time and with higher rated WRs coming in, that should help Sindelar and his issues with touch. Not to mention adding some bigger WRs and Moore to get open with his speed.

My guess is that Blough starts at first (not just because he was the starter before he got hurt, but because Sindelar is coming off the knee injury and it will take time to get him back). But I wouldn't be surprised if Sindelar ends the year starting.

Purdue could finish in the top 3 in offense. That should take some pressure off the defense. Can't wait until football season starts!

Soon.... oh so very soon.

Unrelated, but I hope Michigan has another dissapointing year and Jimmy gets fired. Herron flipping to Stanford won't help his case.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and SKYDOG
The QB that doesn't turn the ball over is the QB that will start. A better Oline and WRs that can get open catch will open up the offense.

Blough got into rythem faster and had more touch, but Sindelar has arm strength. Blough seemed to turn the ball over at the worst time and with higher rated WRs coming in, that should help Sindelar and his issues with touch. Not to mention adding some bigger WRs and Moore to get open with his speed.

My guess is that Blough starts at first (not just because he was the starter before he got hurt, but because Sindelar is coming off the knee injury and it will take time to get him back). But I wouldn't be surprised if Sindelar ends the year starting.

Purdue could finish in the top 3 in offense. That should take some pressure off the defense. Can't wait until football season starts!

Soon.... oh so very soon.

Unrelated, but I hope Michigan has another dissapointing year and Jimmy gets fired. Herron flipping to Stanford won't help his case.
Another loss to Ohio State and the natives will be restless. Harbaugh will really be feeling the heat.

Reactions: Purdue85
Sindelar IMO. If you can't fight like hell behind that guy then you shouldn't be playing.

if you can't fight like hell behind EITHER, you shouldn't be playing. Both guys are gold, IMHO.
Yea it is a shame that these guys have to compete for playing time with each other. This is the most competent group of QBs top to bottom that we’ve had in a looooong time.

Another loss to Ohio State and the natives will be restless. Harbaugh will really be feeling the heat.

We fired our coach for going 0-4 against our rivals. Guess Michigan has lower standards? 0-5 gets it done?

To be honest, his job wrests on the arm of Patterson. If his offense is still hot garbage with a five star QB, then he could be right on out the door.

Just my opinion.

I agree that it should be Sindelar.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and ghbucs
At the beginning of last year, I thought Sindelar had the better arm but Blough was better at moving the team down the field. However, the majority of Blough's passed were short 6-10 yard passes and his deep passing game was inconsistent . But at the end of the year, Sindelar proved he could move the team and the offense incorporated a lot more deeper passes. It was a different styled offense. I believe that's the style Brohm wants to employ. And I believe Sindelar is better equipped to run it.

We fired our coach for going 0-4 against our rivals. Guess Michigan has lower standards? 0-5 gets it done?

To be honest, his job wrests on the arm of Patterson. If his offense is still hot garbage with a five star QB, then he could be right on out the door.
20M buyout will buy him some time.

We fired our coach because he didn't beat anyone hardly besides a few division two teams and the home attendance fell off a cliff.

It's a nice problem to have. I can see match-ups determining who starts or plays in certain games, but I think both QBs will get significant playing time.

Reactions: Purdue85
I love them both but would like to see Elijah emerge because of his status as a Junior. If he can be a good starting QB this year with an entire year remaining, that would be amazing.

this.

While it's fine for fans to have an opinion, clearly Brohm doesn't have a favorite (at this time). that's an important point in this discussion!
I think he has a favorite but knows that the situation dictates that both QB's need to be preparing like starters.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
i think he'll play 2 qbs. if either one isn't getting it done the other will come give it a try.
i personally like that about coach. not worried about their delicate little egos :-}

Has any media actually asked Brohm who the starter will be? And has he provided any definitive answer?

Has any media actually asked Brohm who the starter will be? And has he provided any definitive answer?

To be candid, I think it's early. Too many questions to be answered.

How does Sindelar look on his reconstructed knee? how is Blough's mobility?

How does each look with different ("new") WRs?

I fully expect Brohm to open the playbook more this year. How well has each QB absorbed it?

I don't expect him to name a starter until the week of the NW game.

There's an old saying: "there's nothing as irrelevant as the halftime score." Likewise, there's nothing as irrelevant as a player's performance last season.

He said at the B1G luncheon he's not going to decide in July. But if one separates himself in fall camp he will be the one. Until then he's got 2 that are pretty equal and he will go with 2 until one wins the job, even if it goes into the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT