ADVERTISEMENT

Finally watched game after midnight

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
Ugh. Stuck attending a musical performance my son was in last night. Shit ya gotta do. But some comments after watching it overnight:

1. Best game by OL in a LONG time
2. AOC - great poise all game. Couple dumb throws. Drops killed him, but he recovered from most of them.
3. Horrible blocking on their blocked punt. Not a good game from Special Teams as a whole.
4. Roughing the passer on us in the 1st half was horrible. I guess the refs are learning from the NFL guys. Cost us 4 points.
4 continued. I thought we played against the refs most of the game. We got away with some holds but Nebraska got away with a LOT of tugging and grabbing on Jones. AOC's scramble on 4th an 1 was an absolute joke. Jones was literally tackled in the middle of the field, and injured. Durham got hit, but that could have been considered incidental. One or the other or both should have been called.
5. I heart Mockabee.
6. Can't express enough of the disappointment in the secondary. How do we continue to let guys get behind our coverage, especially late in games with the lead.
7. One quibble with CJB. In the first half we got the ball in a goal-to-goal situation with less than 2 minutes left. Twice we snapped the ball with roughly 20 seconds left. Nebraska should have been using their timeouts but they weren't. I get momentum, but there's no reason to not run the clock down both of those plays. If we do, Nebraska doesn't put a drive together with 35 seconds left for a FG. Especially with them getting the ball to start the 2nd half, that was big. Put them back in the game that should have mostly been over at the half.

Last edited:
Ugh. Stuck attending a musical performance my son was in last night. Shit ya gotta do. But some comments after watching it overnight:

2. AOC - great poise all game. Couple dumb throws. Drops killed him, but they didn't seem to affect too much.
3. Horrible blocking on their blocked punt. Not a good game from Special Teams as a whole.
4. Roughing the passer on us in the 1st half was horrible. I guess the refs are learning from the NFL guys. Cost us 4 points.
4 continued. I thought we played against the refs most of the game. We got away with some holds but Nebraska got away with a LOT of tugging and grabbing on Jones. AOC's scramble on 4th an 1 was an absolute joke. Jones was literally tackled in the middle of the field, and injured. Durham got hit, but that could have been considered incidental. One or the other or both should have been called.
5. I heart Mockabee.
6. Can't express enough of the disappointment in the secondary. How do we continue to let guys get behind our coverage, especially late in games with the lead.
7. One quibble with CJB. In the first half we got the ball in a goal-to-goal situation with less than 2 minutes left. Twice we snapped the ball with roughly 20 seconds left. Nebraska should have been using their timeouts but they weren't. I get momentum, but there's no reason to not run the clock down both of those plays. If we do, Nebraska doesn't put a drive together with 35 seconds left for a FG. Especially with them getting the ball to start the 2nd half, that was big. Put them back in the game that should have mostly been over at the half.
7. A couple of us in the game thread were first-guessing (not second guessing) the decision not to drain the clock, and sure enough Neb had enough time to drive down for 3 points. I’ve become conditioned to assume only the clock will stop our opponent at the end of a half. Having one less possession makes a huge difference in these close games.

2. AOC - great poise all game. Couple dumb throws. Drops killed him, but he recovered from most of them.
5. I heart Mockabee.
Great post.. on the secondary .. we had Jamari brown in and kane is a newer starter. They won’t face a passing attack like that till the bowl or next year. I just hate to see cam Allen take the blame

Great post.. on the secondary .. we had Jamari brown in and kane is a newer starter. They won’t face a passing attack like that till the bowl or next year. I just hate to see cam Allen take the blame
I actually like Kane, but both he and Allen got caught jumping the middle too much, leaving the back end open.

You're right in that to the best of my knowledge, none of our remaining opponents have what you would call a good passing attack. I'd actually be more afraid if we were playing Michigan State with Reed.

ADVERTISEMENT