ADVERTISEMENT

After simmering for a week, I call BS

Boiler Mike

Gold Member
Aug 23, 2001
No referee in his right mind would call unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for players jawing with 51 seconds to go in the game....unless calling offsetting penalties. I listened to the Purdue radio broadcast and they noted it happening both ways earlier in the game...and a Syracuse DE getting in AOC's face jawing after a play. To make matters worse, no ref in his right mind would call a second one on a coach under the game circumstances. If a coach threw a punch for example I can see it, but for jawing about an already bad call? Give me a freaking break! It gave the home team a huge advantage and ultimately cost us the game - highly unlikely they would have scored from their 20 yard line with 51 seconds. This is the kind of crap which makes sports had to watch at times and I call BS. Stopping blaming Brohm for what every other football coach would have done! For those who are, do you watch football games?

No referee in his right mind would call unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for players jawing with 51 seconds to go in the game....unless calling offsetting penalties. I listened to the Purdue radio broadcast and they noted it happening both ways earlier in the game...and a Syracuse DE getting in AOC's face jawing after a play. To make matters worse, no ref in his right mind would call a second one on a coach under the game circumstances. If a coach threw a punch for example I can see it, but for jawing about an already bad call? Give me a freaking break! It gave the home team a huge advantage and ultimately cost us the game - highly unlikely they would have scored from their 20 yard line with 51 seconds. This is the kind of crap which makes sports had to watch at times and I call BS. Stopping blaming Brohm for what every other football coach would have done! For those who are, do you watch football games?

Your analysis is 100% spot on

I agree, but just don't put yourself in that position where the refs can be that capricious.

I don't think many blamed Brohm for THAT penalty, but, for other things...and, things that he deserved blame for.

As to your bigger point, Purdue got screwed at a level that I admittedly have never seen in that game...consistently, from beginning to end, but, especially at the end (and that does not even include the play that Simpson called a completion when the guy was out of bounds and it was overturned...he was adamant that it was a catch, and, clearly missed that as well....or, maybe not and just at that point was so invested already in screwing Purdue that he just ignored that the guy was out of bounds).

Purdue had the game stolen, but, they put themselves in the position for it to happen unfortunately because of so many other things that were directly on them. It does not excuse what happened, but, it certainly contributed to what ultimately happened.

I have never seen a kickoff from the ten yard line before.

I have never seen a kickoff from the ten yard line before.
May not have even happened, as, SVP said the exact same thing on SC the other night.

It was flat ridiculous that it happened, and, why it happened...yes, Durham NEVER should have responded, but, that is the point...he responded...and, he made no direct contact with the other guy, unlike the Syracuse guy that did. What happened did not even warrant a penalty, and, if any official felt the need for the spotlight for a moment by calling one, absolutely inexcusable for it not to have been the standard off-setting variety...only to then have it compounded by dumba$$ Simpson flagging Brohm after it.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
I dunno if I'd call it 'highly' unlikely. I've watched Purdue lose a lot of games in an opponent's final drive many times.

Durham should focus less on looking cool and more on playing football. As Painter always says, looking cool gets you beat.

Specifically, I'd tell him the next time I see him make that heart sign to anyone that's not his unborn daughter, he'll lose his man card and his scholarship. Stfu and play football.

Never noticed it before...but I assume he likes Travis Kelce? Same number and stupid ass shit after plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: Professor Emeritus
Good thoughts guys. Yes, we never should have been in that position....dumb penalties and wrong defense at the end among other things. But, we did put ourselves in a position to win before those outrageous conduct calls changed everything.

For what it's worth, the next day I was glad I didn't break the tv. A good friend was a Syracuse fullback on their powerhouse teams of the 90s. He was in attendance and couldn't help breaking my balls throughout the game. I let him have it after those calls. We haven't spoken since :). I'm starting to get over it.

Good thoughts guys. Yes, we never should have been in that position....dumb penalties and wrong defense at the end among other things. But, we did put ourselves in a position to win before those outrageous conduct calls changed everything.

For what it's worth, the next day I was glad I didn't break the tv. A good friend was a Syracuse fullback on their powerhouse teams of the 90s. He was in attendance and couldn't help breaking my balls throughout the game. I let him have it after those calls. We haven't spoken since :). I'm starting to get over it.
Rob Konrad?

I dunno if I'd call it 'highly' unlikely. I've watched Purdue lose a lot of games in an opponent's final drive many times.

Durham should focus less on looking cool and more on playing football. As Painter always says, looking cool gets you beat.

Specifically, I'd tell him the next time I see him make that heart sign to anyone that's not his unborn daughter, he'll lose his man card and his scholarship. Stfu and play football.

Never noticed it before...but I assume he likes Travis Kelce? Same number and stupid ass shit after plays.
until you get into the Pro's, act accordingly

That last drive was Lakers Kings 2.0. No offsetting penalty for Durham getting pushed, compounded by the coaching flag, uncalled block in the back on the kickoff, 2-3 missed holds on the 3rd down that led to Trice getting a holding call, missed hold on Jefferson the next play, questionable PI call with the latest thrown flag I’ve ever seen, catch that wasn’t close to being in bounds originally called in bounds.

I can agree that Purdue could have played smarter and more disciplined, but it’s ignorant to act like Syracuse was not also playing undisciplined. The missed calls were probably worse than the ones that were actually made to me.

Sometimes you catch some bad 50/50 breaks, and it felt like Purdue got that all game between 3 reversed turnovers, 2 Syracuse fumbles that they recovered, and some questionable calls. That pass Shrader threw while getting tackled was just as bad as AOC’s pick, and he’s lucky there happened to be a flag. They missed a kick too. They fumbled a punt. They threw a horrible pick on a trick play that luckily got reversed. They had a roughing the passer penalty too. It’s crazy that people give Brohm so much trouble when Babers’ team made as many dumb plays. They just wound up being less costly.

A bunch of missed holding calls including this tackle by the offensive lineman with the ref looking at the play. A good capture of it. I don’t want to see that lead refs face again overturning calls but it looks like we will, sad 😞.

That is blatant.
And, to compound it...the Defensive Holding that was called on the same play was legitimate phantom...I don't even remember if they provided a number on the call (I assume that they did...think that they would have had to), but, there was no footage at all of it, and, again...irrelevant in that the hold there was SO blatant and directly in front of the official that is clearly looking right at it and it was just flat ignored...worst-case, there is off-setting holding...but, for a phantom call down the field by one guy (and, my guess is Simpson...again), and, literal ignoring of the blatant hold by another...flat out ridiculous, and, completely inexcusable...it is not as if that is a judgment call either...I mean, that is holding if there ever was such a thing. They called Syracuse in the first half multiple times for it, but, stopped calling it in the second half, despite it still happening, and, certainly happening on that particular play...plain as day.

This was the late flag. The ball was out of bounds and uncatchable.
Equally as egregious as the ignored offensive holding on the play on which a phantom defensive holding was called that preceded it (and, again, by same official I believe (Simpson)).

I have said it at least a dozen times...Purdue got screwed...royally...to the point that the outcome of the game was literally influenced and dictated by the officials...they did themselves no favors for some of the things that they did on their own, but, they got flat screwed at the end of that game to an extent that I have never seen, and, that genuinely defies logic.

Sucks for Syracuse, you have a 2-0 record but the country knows you HAD to have help on just about every drive to win the 2nd one…like kissing your sister?? I’d be kinda embarassed if I was from ‘Cuse
Yeah, but they are not, nor will they be...you could see (and hear it) after the game when they interviewed Babers...never mind he is coaching for his job, so, he will take any win, regardless of how it comes.

At the end of the year the bowls only look at your record! You can complain all you want. But in December all people remember is the loss. How many games was Nebraska screwed over last year? I have to believe at least three. But all people remember is their record.

as part of game preparation I have to believe Purdue coaches talk about the game refs! The Purdue coaches should know before the game what the refs will be looking for, what they will call and also what they will ignore. It appears as if the Purdue coaches forgot their game prep of what these refs would flag.

You can say we were robbed for the next 1,000 years much like the USA basketball team claimed they robbed at the Munich games. But the truth is nobody outside Purdue fans care. All the rest of the world and the bowls see is a loss! The game should never have been close .

so keep calling it BS. It won’t be the first time a Purdue fan has called bs. It wasn’t the first time Purdue was robbed of a win. The reality is instead of being 3-0 with a win over a top 25 team, Purdue Is 1-2. You can already forget that trip to a New Year’s Day bowl game. You can also write off a top 25 finish. All people care about is win/loss.

a related note. It doesn’t matter what stats AOC creates this year. If Purdue is not a top 10 team, He can forget about challenging for the Heisman. I didn’t say that’s right. But that’s the reality of the voting!

bs or no bs, the reality is no football result has ever been overturned by players, coaches, fans, or the media’s complaints. Purdue lost. It’s time to move on. Don’t dwell on the past. Learn from it.

Reactions: indyogb
Equally as egregious as the ignored offensive holding on the play on which a phantom defensive holding was called that preceded it (and, again, by same official I believe (Simpson)).

I have said it at least a dozen times...Purdue got screwed...royally...to the point that the outcome of the game was literally influenced and dictated by the officials...they did themselves no favors for some of the things that they did on their own, but, they got flat screwed at the end of that game to an extent that I have never seen, and, that genuinely defies logic.
It took away a great comeback led by AOC and Charlie Jones, who is looking Cooper Kupp like.

Reactions: BSIT
At the end of the year the bowls only look at your record! You can complain all you want. But in December all people remember is the loss. How many games was Nebraska screwed over last year? I have to believe at least three. But all people remember is their record.

as part of game preparation I have to believe Purdue coaches talk about the game refs! The Purdue coaches should know before the game what the refs will be looking for, what they will call and also what they will ignore. It appears as if the Purdue coaches forgot their game prep of what these refs would flag.

You can say we were robbed for the next 1,000 years much like the USA basketball team claimed they robbed at the Munich games. But the truth is nobody outside Purdue fans care. All the rest of the world and the bowls see is a loss! The game should never have been close .

so keep calling it BS. It won’t be the first time a Purdue fan has called bs. It wasn’t the first time Purdue was robbed of a win. The reality is instead of being 3-0 with a win over a top 25 team, Purdue Is 1-2. You can already forget that trip to a New Year’s Day bowl game. You can also write off a top 25 finish. All people care about is win/loss.

a related note. It doesn’t matter what stats AOC creates this year. If Purdue is not a top 10 team, He can forget about challenging for the Heisman. I didn’t say that’s right. But that’s the reality of the voting!

bs or no bs, the reality is no football result has ever been overturned by players, coaches, fans, or the media’s complaints. Purdue lost. It’s time to move on. Don’t dwell on the past. Learn from
Let’s do a little fact-finding here. Anyone posting on here or any other sport chat site is a fan/fanatic to some degree. It doesn’t have to be for this particular team but certainly for sports in general.

as a fan I’ll admit very openly I absolutely love love love all things Purdue. I grew up in Ohio, I grew up an avid Buckeye fan but when I went to school there for one year before transferring I was disgusted because they limited you to one ticket to one game per year as a student. Made no sense to me especially not when the students are the reason the school is even there.

i’ve already tasted death once at age 35 with a brain tumor and massive brain surgery. So I want to see my team have loads of success on the football field knowing that tomorrow is not promised and knowing that there’s no such thing as “we will get them next year“.

I, like so many other Purdue fans have dozens of things going on outside of the world of football and basketball. But like so many other Boikermaker fans when they take the field or the court I want to see them succeed. I can handle them shooting themselves in the foot, And I can handle bad calls from time to time.

But I think I speak for many when I say that I really don’t care or give a crap about who outside of Purdue sports cares about what the officials did Saturday. I’m not concerned about anyone outside of Purdue sports or the campus I care about what goes on around my team. And it’s because I want to see my team do something great before I move on from this world.

You have many good comments and takes on here. I appreciate the different angles that you provide for wisdom and knowledge. I have been on this forum for a long time because it’s my sounding board for all things great Purdue and all things sucky (I’m a fanatic).

Your take about “nobody outside of Purdue cares“ is true, the guess who also doesn’t care about that take? Yeah, most of us on here. It’s because we are true fans. And if you don’t like it then get off the board! We are using this forum for what it was intended to be for.

Reactions: purduepat1969
As an outside observer and watching on a second tv, I was stunned to see Purdue kicking off from the 10 yard line. I am one who does wish the referees would call more taunting calls. However to make that call at that point in the game was ridiculous. With 10 minutes left in the game I would be ok with it. Then make matters worse throwing a flag on a coach at that time and adding it on is even more ridiculous.

Sucks for Syracuse, you have a 2-0 record but the country knows you HAD to have help on just about every drive to win the 2nd one…like kissing your sister?? I’d be kinda embarassed if I was from ‘Cuse
There are many reasons to be embarrassed about being from Syracuse, particularly if one is associated with their law school.

A bunch of missed holding calls including this tackle by the offensive lineman with the ref looking at the play. A good capture of it. I don’t want to see that lead refs face again overturning calls but it looks like we will, sad 😞.
When we were watching the game I saw that hold and thought for SURE it would have been called. Once that didn’t happen it was almost guaranteed Purdue would lose in my mind.

When we were watching the game I saw that hold and thought for SURE it would have been called. Once that didn’t happen it was almost guaranteed Purdue would lose in my mind.
I was absolutely certain when there was a flag on the play that they had called it, as, it was so blatant...but, not only did that not happen, but, there was a phantom holding call on Purdue instead...even then I was convinced they had just said the wrong thing...that he meant to call holding on Syracuse. When that was not the case, like you, I knew that Purdue was screwed.

So pissed I wouldn't post in the game thread because it would have all been *** out anyway. haha. As a life long Purdue fan I'm used to things not breaking our way, but that was crooked. Like Tiller vs PSU crooked.

So pissed I wouldn't post in the game thread because it would have all been *** out anyway. haha. As a life long Purdue fan I'm used to things not breaking our way, but that was crooked. Like Tiller vs PSU crooked.
Agree exactly with Tiller / PSU crooked. Was Stephen Pamon on that crew? Is there a gambler that needed debts relieved?
That is how bad and crooked it seemed to me as well.

Agree exactly with Tiller / PSU crooked. Was Stephen Pamon on that crew? Is there a gambler that needed debts relieved?
That is how bad and crooked it seemed to me as well.
I feel as thought the only true explanation that makes sense is that the Spegal family is paying off these officials to help Purdue lose games. Maybe we should have recruited Charlie!

I feel as thought the only true explanation that makes sense is that the Spegal family is paying off these officials to help Purdue lose games. Maybe we should have recruited Charlie!
Haha. So, you do not believe no bias took place most notably the fumble review by head ref overturning the call. All that plus the numerous flags in final 51 seconds + no calls on Syracuse OL tackling our DL on pass plays along with clothes line our S blitz Jefferson. GTFO!

Last edited:
Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Terps w/ 31 penalties after 3 games. Got 0 in 1st half at Mich and in the game.
Translation: Refs can control any game they want, anywhere, any time, for any reason, and to whatever degree they please. And no, this isn't just limited to college football.

And while I'm on subject, I'd like to beat a dead horse. Want a good laugh? In the condensed replay linked below, watch every big play by Syracuse at 0.25 playback speed. Through the entire game you will see Cuse linemen grabbing guys by the shoulder pads and pulling jerseys. Sometimes multiple infractions on the same play, but never flagged once. Then go back and watch Purdue's O-linemen during their big plays. Night and day difference.

Yeah, I'm still pissed.

Reactions: NVboiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT