ADVERTISEMENT

It's raining long passes article...

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
How many defensive coaches will turn over and who will they be? Getting long bombed is what Purdue is supposed to be doing and instead it is happening to us. It is scheme and technique related in both single coverage (a lot) & not tackling worth a crap. If it doesn't correct in a hurry, I would not be surprised if there wasn't an in-season coaching change which would be unusual for Purdue, but not the rest of the B1G.

English and Youboty has a lot of eyes on them. Unfortunately, corrections haven't been made and we are past the midpoint of the season.

How many defensive coaches will turn over and who will they be? Getting long bombed is what Purdue is supposed to be doing and instead it is happening to us. It is scheme and technique related in both single coverage (a lot) & not tackling worth a crap. If it doesn't correct in a hurry, I would not be surprised if there wasn't an in-season coaching change which would be unusual for Purdue, but not the rest of the B1G.

English and Youboty has a lot of eyes on them. Unfortunately, corrections haven't been made and we are past the midpoint of the season.
The Nebraska game was mind boggling with Palmer. Not sure how you continue to let him get behind the D over and over again and not make any adjustments. Although I think the D missed Jefferson, I'm not sure this is as much on the players as it is putting them in a position to succeed.

The other thing that really makes no sense is how Brohm talked about limiting big plays on the defensive side of the ball during the off-season. Then we put a defensive scheme in place that puts the secondary in a position to do just the opposite.

No chance of a mid season change/firing in my opinion. Brohm will have sit down chats and do lots of self scouting with the defensive staff. English is decent. Obvious issues that need to be addressed/fixed. English is being aggressive, which is what Brohm wanted.

Purdue is statistically in the upper 1/3 against the run. Hopefully that continues. That is a major thing at Purdue and the defense really did some nice things in the first 7 games. Fix a couple of things and Purdue has a really nice defense.

No chance of a mid season change/firing in my opinion. Brohm will have sit down chats and do lots of self scouting with the defensive staff. English is decent. Obvious issues that need to be addressed/fixed. English is being aggressive, which is what Brohm wanted.

Purdue is statistically in the upper 1/3 against the run. Hopefully that continues. That is a major thing at Purdue and the defense really did some nice things in the first 7 games. Fix a couple of things and Purdue has a really nice defense.
This. Also Brohm realizes that he competes in a division that is filled with ground and pound teams. In 5+ years he has been on the receiving end of too many games where the opponent steamrolls its way down the field with ease and keeps the ball away from his offense. If this defense goes a full 12 games without allowing a 100 yard rusher it will be a monumental accomplishment and likely lead to another 9 win season. Nobody is getting fired mid season short of a scandal.

This. Also Brohm realizes that he competes in a division that is filled with ground and pound teams. In 5+ years he has been on the receiving end of too many games where the opponent steamrolls its way down the field with ease and keeps the ball away from his offense. If this defense goes a full 12 games without allowing a 100 yard rusher it will be a monumental accomplishment and likely lead to another 9 win season. Nobody is getting fired mid season short of a scandal.
Agree with this mostly. What's happening through the air is hard to watch at times....but he is shutting off the bread and butter of most teams and making them do something most are way less comfortable with. I mean, he basically made his "arch nemesis" tap out and quit on his home field because he knew he didn't have the horses to beat our run D.

Obviously we need to get better stopping the long ball but we have also turned other teams over in the secondary a lot. Teams are forcing the ball because they know they aren't going to sustain possessions on us dinking and dunking down the field. Don't forget we had 2 picks on Thompson! As others and the announcers highlighted on Saturday, we don't play anybody with a Jordan Palmer the rest of the conference season so it should be much easier for us to contain moving forward.

I am not worried as Wisconsin is basically incompetent in the pass game and IU, Iowa and NU are not dynamic enough in the pass game to hurt us at all. I think it comes down to beating Illinois, and they still have to play Michigan too...

Good perspective. I'm sure both Brohm and Bobinski have an agreed upon accomplishment. Fall short of that and there will be changes more likely end of season. For Brohm to be talking about the secondary issues in post game conference, then again on Monday morning has to be uncomfortable for a few coaches.

To me this is another case of George Karlaftis’s absence really stinging. Don’t have to cover very long when you have Hell Unleashed in the backfield.

Also, don’t forget Trey Palmer is a former 5 star. Not saying we shouldn’t expect better from the secondary, but I also think context is important.

I am not worried as Wisconsin is basically incompetent in the pass game and IU, Iowa and NU are not dynamic enough in the pass game to hurt us at all. I think it comes down to beating Illinois, and they still have to play Michigan too...
The back end schedule is getting favorable minus Illinois who has done very well this season. As long as Purdue doesn't take any of the remaining teams for granted, we should be fine. One more game of an All-American appearance to a hot QB/WR combo and it will be hard to not make an adjustment that will be foretelling where the problem is from a coaching perspective.
Media is talking about it openly, fans are talking about it openly, Head Coach talks about it openly. Can't keep doing what your doing OR you'll keep getting what your getting. Granted some teams won't be able to go over the top, but they'll certainly try more than 4 shots in a game.

Reactions: Tommaker
Good perspective. I'm sure both Brohm and Bobinski have an agreed upon accomplishment. Fall short of that and there will be changes more likely end of season. For Brohm to be talking about the secondary issues in post game conference, then again on Monday morning has to be uncomfortable for a few coaches.
Of course Brohm addresses it in his conferences. He has to. It was glaring. He is going to watch the film with the coaches and make sure appropriate adjustments are made. What can you live with and what must you change? Must be aggressive but shouldn’t be sloppy. English is decent. I think he gets some things cleaned up.

English is being aggressive, which is what Brohm wanted.
Ding! Exactly. 4 sacks in the first half show the improvement. The issue with the completion were they just couldn't get to the QB in time; on the one he was nailed right after the release. And it was a combo of a good QB with a Sunday bound receiver; we may get one or the other going forward, hopefully not both.

Of course Brohm addresses it in his conferences. He has to. It was glaring. He is going to watch the film with the coaches and make sure appropriate adjustments are made. What can you live with and what must you change? Must be aggressive but shouldn’t be sloppy. English is decent. I think he gets some things cleaned up.
I'm not sure you can live with the number of big plays that have been happening. It's threatening the win/loss record more than stopping the run is right now. Just like in the Syracuse game, it's great that we stopped their run game, pretty much completely. But when you allow them to march down the field in 30 seconds with big play after big play, stopping the 10 yard run doesn't much matter.

There's more of a balance that needs to occur here. I'm still not convinced that Purdue has to load the box to stop the run, while putting the CBs on an island.

Reactions: drewjin and DAG10
Great that they have focused on stopping the run, and, succeeded largely (will be interesting to see what happens this week, as, Purdue was afforded a huge break with Ibrahim out in Minneapolis), but, the idea that stopping the pass does not matter is ridiculous...and, pass defense has been ridiculous...schematically, and, developmentally as well...to the point that someone absolutely could, if not should, be fired if it continues.

What happened at the end of the first half against Penn St. was impactful, and, a huge red flag in hindsight...it happened again on the last drive of that game...it happened at the end of the Syracuse game...it happened at the end of the first half again against Maryland, and, on the final drive of that game...it happened at the end of the half of the Nebraska game, and, then just repeatedly throughout.

Purdue's pass defense is a complete joke, and, the idea that Brohm will work on fixing it is as well...as, it has literally happened in every game this year (it just did not matter in the ISU game).

Part of the problem is there isn't a consistent pass rush. Other than the 1st half of the NE game, teams have had plenty of time for those big pass plays to develop.
There is merit to your point for sure, but, that is not what caused the problem(s) against Penn St. to end the half or on the final drive, nor at Maryland.

I have doubts about English, as, he has not made any changes to fix the problems that have persisted...I have more faith in Hagen that English personally. That English oversees the secondary and that is largely the source of Purdue's problems on that side of the ball, and, that nothing has been fixed, it is concerning for sure.

Great that they have focused on stopping the run, and, succeeded largely (will be interesting to see what happens this week, as, Purdue was afforded a huge break with Ibrahim out in Minneapolis), but, the idea that stopping the pass does not matter is ridiculous...and, pass defense has been ridiculous...schematically, and, developmentally as well...to the point that someone absolutely could, if not should, be fired if it continues.

What happened at the end of the first half against Penn St. was impactful, and, a huge red flag in hindsight...it happened again on the last drive of that game...it happened at the end of the Syracuse game...it happened at the end of the first half again against Maryland, and, on the final drive of that game...it happened at the end of the half of the Nebraska game, and, then just repeatedly throughout.

Purdue's pass defense is a complete joke, and, the idea that Brohm will work on fixing it is as well...as, it has literally happened in every game this year (it just did not matter in the ISU game).
So who are you firing and when?

Reactions: pboiler18
There is merit to your point for sure, but, that is not what caused the problem(s) against Penn St. to end the half or on the final drive, nor at Maryland.
Ineptitude is about the only explanation for the end of the half blunders.

What’s your opinion of Dale Williams?

The Nebraska game was mind boggling with Palmer. Not sure how you continue to let him get behind the D over and over again and not make any adjustments. Although I think the D missed Jefferson, I'm not sure this is as much on the players as it is putting them in a position to succeed.

The other thing that really makes no sense is how Brohm talked about limiting big plays on the defensive side of the ball during the off-season. Then we put a defensive scheme in place that puts the secondary in a position to do just the opposite.
You know we won right? And gained 150 more yards

Reactions: pboiler18
Agree with this mostly. What's happening through the air is hard to watch at times....but he is shutting off the bread and butter of most teams and making them do something most are way less comfortable with. I mean, he basically made his "arch nemesis" tap out and quit on his home field because he knew he didn't have the horses to beat our run D.

Obviously we need to get better stopping the long ball but we have also turned other teams over in the secondary a lot. Teams are forcing the ball because they know they aren't going to sustain possessions on us dinking and dunking down the field. Don't forget we had 2 picks on Thompson! As others and the announcers highlighted on Saturday, we don't play anybody with a Jordan Palmer the rest of the conference season so it should be much easier for us to contain moving forward.

Wisconsin is 88th in passing

Well, I'm not questioning our performance from an offense or run stopping perspective. But we almost lost the game due to several big plays from the same guy. That's concerning...
It’s always relative.. if they never even tied us their yards are a lot more empty. If you feel differently, then you must have been elated when we lost to Syracuse and outgained them by 100 yards right?

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
Should have been gone 2 seasons ago. IMHO. Purdue has ok pass blocking, but run blockin has been subpar for years.
Our defensive coaches are doing fine. You probably just set your expectations too high.

this is a defense that:

> has a back seven that covered the pass well WITH George demanding doubles and triples .. last year the TE and/or back often couldn’t go out for a pass cause they had to stay home with George

> had defensive linemen who could do a good job WITH George demanding doubles and triples

Our defensive coaches are doing fine. You probably just set your expectations too high.

this is a defense that:

> has a back seven that covered the pass well WITH George demanding doubles and triples .. last year the TE and/or back often couldn’t go out for a pass cause they had to stay home with George

> had defensive linemen who could do a good job WITH George demanding doubles and triples
another point could be our DB's don't face many wr's w/ speed during practice

2 years ago we were mad about folks like Rutgers running it down our throats, 9 minute drives, dying a slow painful death, bend and then break defense, and wanted a more aggressive scheme. That’s what we have.

It’s always relative.. if they never even tied us their yards are a lot more empty. If you feel differently, then you must have been elated when we lost to Syracuse and outgained them by 100 yards right?

I'm not sure how any of that is remotely relative to the fact that the defense allowed big play after big play from the same guy...

2 years ago we were mad about folks like Rutgers running it down our throats, 9 minute drives, dying a slow painful death, bend and then break defense, and wanted a more aggressive scheme. That’s what we have.
I'm not denying or shrugging that off. I'm saying that tackling by secondary is crappy & we are being blown by like we are still in 1st gear while the WR's are switching from 4th to 5th gear with pedal to the metal! Both are inexcusable. Where was bump and run on Palmer?

Occasionally, knock the shit out of him at the line and pass him off to the Safety. Don't do it every time, but surprise...pound him backwards and push yourself back for backpedal technique to your zone. A knock off balance will help the DL another step. My eyes are not on that specifically till the worst happens, but that is a coach, teach moment as well as a called defensive play to keep Palmer from running free hell bent for the end zone. My two cents and I've never coached beyond youth sports, yet played thru H.S. I knew that if there was a stud we were going to see at WR, pound and push him on some known passing plays in that first 2-3 yards.

I'm not sure how any of that is remotely relative to the fact that the defense allowed big play after big play from the same guy...
If it matters (it doesn’t) then when the shoe was on the other foot did it matter? A team throwing bombs down 10-14 and never tying or taking the lead and a team hitting a bomb to go up 7 aren’t even the same thing.

I'm not denying or shrugging that off. I'm saying that tackling by secondary is crappy & we are being blown by like we are still in 1st gear while the WR's are switching from 4th to 5th gear with pedal to the metal! Both are inexcusable. Where was bump and run on Palmer?

Occasionally, knock the shit out of him at the line and pass him off to the Safety. Don't do it every time, but surprise...pound him backwards and push yourself back for backpedal technique to your zone. A knock off balance will help the DL another step. My eyes are not on that specifically till the worst happens, but that is a coach, teach moment as well as a called defensive play to keep Palmer from running free hell bent for the end zone. My two cents and I've never coached beyond youth sports, yet played thru H.S. and knew that if there was a stud we were going to see at WR, pound and push him on some known passing plays in that first 2-3 yards.
Defense at the end of both halves has to change.

So who are you firing and when?
They won't fire anybody...they don't have an answer even if they did is the bigger problem.

The secondary has been a disaster...and, way too many issues back there personnel-wise, and, scheme-wise...English is who should be held accountable, but, my guess is nothing happens...before the end of the season for sure, and, probably after.

I have no idea what Youboty does...maybe nothing for all I know.

I know this...the position has been recruited poorly...or, guys that have been recruited have not produced or developed, and, the scheme has been lousy as well in critical situations.

2 years ago Purdue had one of the biggest idiots in the world coordinating its defense...another rabbit hole that I don't want to go down in that THAT never should have happened.

What is more aggressive about this scheme? They are not generating any pressure...they are giving up huge plays...they generally have sucked in "prevent" mode.

2 years ago Purdue had one of the biggest idiots in the world coordinating its defense...another rabbit hole that I don't want to go down in that THAT never should have happened.

What is more aggressive about this scheme? They are not generating any pressure...they are giving up huge plays...they generally have sucked in "prevent" mode.
Is Purdue 2-5 or 5-2? Confused by your points...or ultimate lack Theron. We are winning. This team is good but not perfect.
What exactly are your expectations?

That we are the only team in CFB with a potent pass offense?
No shit there are things we can clean up but the incessant whining and nitpicking of a coach that’s taken us from an afterthought to relevant and exciting again is asinine.
Again…I’m not saying there aren’t issues…but why do you feel like you have to waste hours a day beating the same dead horse? It seems as if you don’t like Brohm or his team. May I suggest Notre Dame football? Oh shit, wait…I meant IU football….no….um maybe Ball State? Or you could STFU and support the best coach we have had in over a decade and enjoy the ride!

Reactions: Inspector100
Is Purdue 2-5 or 5-2? Confused by your points...or ultimate lack Theron. We are winning. This team is good but not perfect.
What exactly are your expectations?

That we are the only team in CFB with a potent pass offense?
No shit there are things we can clean up but the incessant whining and nitpicking of a coach that’s taken us from an afterthought to relevant and exciting again is asinine.
Again…I’m not saying there aren’t issues…but why do you feel like you have to waste hours a day beating the same dead horse? It seems as if you don’t like Brohm or his team. May I suggest Notre Dame football? Oh shit, wait…I meant IU football….no….um maybe Ball State? Or you could STFU and support the best coach we have had in over a decade and enjoy the ride!
Am I happy Purdue is 5-2? Absolutely
Is it ok to question and look for accountability? Yes
Have I enjoyed the ride? Yes
Have I been disappointed? Yes
That is why we are fans. We always want more from our beloved teams.

The differences between 5-2 and God forbid 7-0 are:
1) Game manage the clock in game 1, stupid penalties, broken coverage & poor tackling secondary
2) Stupid penalties in game 2 and more broken coverage & poor tackling by secondary.

* Purdue has cleaned up the stupid penalties in the last few games
* Found a run / pass balance in the last game & clock managed in the process.

Clean up the secondary coverage and tackling issues in the final 5 weeks and quite possibly win the West.
Face tO$U (most likely). Purdue may find a way to beat them knocking them out of Natl Title hopes! History of nearly last two decades is not impossible as we are 4-6. For some strange reason, we have truly been their Spoilermakers.

I or others should not be told STFU, but I will try to enjoy the ride more especially if Purdue finds ways to win. 😀

Am I happy Purdue is 5-2? Absolutely
Is it ok to question and look for accountability? Yes
Have I enjoyed the ride? Yes
Have I been disappointed? Yes
That is why we are fans. We always want more from our beloved teams.

The differences between 5-2 and God forbid 7-0 are:
1) Game manage the clock in game 1, stupid penalties, broken coverage & poor tackling secondary
2) Stupid penalties in game 2 and more broken coverage & poor tackling by secondary.

* Purdue has cleaned up the stupid penalties in the last few games
* Found a run / pass balance in the last game & clock managed in the process.

Clean up the secondary coverage and tackling issues in the final 5 weeks and quite possibly win the West.
Face tO$U (most likely). Purdue may find a way to beat them knocking them out of Natl Title hopes! History of nearly last two decades is not impossible as we are 4-6. For some strange reason, we have truly been their Spoilermakers.

I or others should not be told STFU, but I will try to enjoy the ride more especially if Purdue finds ways to win. 😀
I don’t think you can say with certainty we would be 6-1 or 7-0 if we had won the Penn state and/or Syracuse games.

Desperation can be a significant factor in football. It’s why I took the Colts and the points when they played the Chiefs in week 3.

Maybe Purdue doesn’t bring quite the same effort against Maryland or Minnesota if they come in pretty satisfied with themselves.

“You are what your record says you are.” - Bill Parcells

I don’t think you can say with certainty we would be 6-1 or 7-0 if we had won the Penn state and/or Syracuse games.

Desperation can be a significant factor in football. It’s why I took the Colts and the points when they played the Chiefs in week 3.

Maybe Purdue doesn’t bring quite the same effort against Maryland or Minnesota if they come in pretty satisfied with themselves.

"If "ifs' and 'buts' were candy and nuts we'd ALL have a merry Christmas."

Good point. Like Gene Keady used to say, "It's not who you play in this league, it's when you play them."

Ah yes - can't assume you change the past and everything plays out the same way. Of course, if you had 1.21 "Jigowatts" handy, maybe take a shot?

• Haha
Reactions: Tommaker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT