ADVERTISEMENT

Some of you understand

... and the ancient banners from the last millennium.
Honest question, is IU’s current state in basketball relative to their glory days more akin to Notre Dame’s (last champions in ‘88) or Minnesota’s (last championship in 1960) in football?

Obviously chronologically they are closer to ND but I’m not sure the answer isn’t Minnesota as it pertains to national relevance and being close to recapturing past glory.

To be very truthful, I’ve received a lot more name calling and harassment from fellow Purdue fans and alumni in this and other Purdue related forums than I ever did from IU fans in the 70’s and 80’s.

I have no idea what you are referring to when you talk about abuse you supposedly received! I’ve been to Bloomington many times and was never abused. My wife completed her doctorate degree at IU and was never abused because of her Purdue undergraduate degree. I’ve posted on the IU forum and was never banned. I was banned on this forum for stating that Hazell was a terrible coach and his recruits were MAC level talent which were both true statements!

On the other hand, this forum is full of posters who live to put others down and abuse people and prove to others how great and knowledgeable they are! What type of abuse did they receive in the 70’s? If any?

Were they refused seats at Mother Bears? Did they have beer thrown at them? Were they beaten and mugged? Were they fired or discriminated against from employment ? My first two job offers came from Paoli and Spenser. Or did they just brag so much that when they lost, someone told them sorry Charlie, you lost!

I believe some of you just love to rub it in and then like toddlers, you don’t like it when somebody does the same thing to you! I guess that’s why half of this board has me on ignore! They just don’t like hearing the truth!

I’m not sorry my son is a college track coach. I’m proud of him. He coached his first meet for Ohio St this past weekend! When you talk about abuse, he’s dealt with plenty of it his entire life. He’s mixed race! And boy was I disappointed in the racism I witnessed from people in northern states like Indiana and Illinois. I expected it when we lived in Alabama and Georgia. But not here!

The abuse you talk about is nothing when compared to the other abuse that currently exists in our society!

To be very truthful, I’ve received a lot more name calling and harassment from fellow Purdue fans and alumni in this and other Purdue related forums than I ever did from IU fans in the 70’s and 80’s.

I have no idea what you are referring to when you talk about abuse you supposedly received! I’ve been to Bloomington many times and was never abused. My wife completed her doctorate degree at IU and was never abused because of her Purdue undergraduate degree. I’ve posted on the IU forum and was never banned. I was banned on this forum for stating that Hazell was a terrible coach and his recruits were MAC level talent which were both true statements!

On the other hand, this forum is full of posters who live to put others down and abuse people and prove to others how great and knowledgeable they are! What type of abuse did they receive in the 70’s? If any?

Were they refused seats at Mother Bears? Did they have beer thrown at them? Were they beaten and mugged? Were they fired or discriminated against from employment ? My first two job offers came from Paoli and Spenser. Or did they just brag so much that when they lost, someone told them sorry Charlie, you lost!

I believe some of you just love to rub it in and then like toddlers, you don’t like it when somebody does the same thing to you! I guess that’s why half of this board has me on ignore! They just don’t like hearing the truth!

I’m not sorry my son is a college track coach. I’m proud of him. He coached his first meet for Ohio St this past weekend! When you talk about abuse, he’s dealt with plenty of it his entire life. He’s mixed race! And boy was I disappointed in the racism I witnessed from people in northern states like Indiana and Illinois. I expected it when we lived in Alabama and Georgia. But not here!

The abuse you talk about is nothing when compared to the other abuse that currently exists in our society!
Agreed with you. Some of members here are some characters forsure

Your comments here are very nasty and abusive, and not worthy of this board.

Honest question, is IU’s current state in basketball relative to their glory days more akin to Notre Dame’s (last champions in ‘88) or Minnesota’s (last championship in 1960) in football?

Obviously chronologically they are closer to ND but I’m not sure the answer isn’t Minnesota as it pertains to national relevance and being close to recapturing past glory.
That is spot on. Neither have dome anything noteworthy in decades.

Reactions: z_one

Holy smokes, you took this thread a bit too literal. I am sure he just meant all of the crap Purdue fans had to endure from IU fans in the 70's and 80's while Bob Knight was winning national titles. He didn't literally mean IU fans were pulling Purdue fans out of their cars and beating them to death. There was no "abuse" claim. lol What on Earth?

For the most part, it's good natured fun between IU and Purdue fanbases, students, alumni, employees, etc. heck, even Keady and Knight were FRIENDS off-the-court.

However, I do disagree with your post, when it goes too far or someone gets nasty, it's almost always the NON-alumni "IU fan". There are some real southern Indiana hill jacks out there in that fan base and they do get quite riled up on social media. Were you online when Mike Davis replaced Bob Knight!? It was SCARY on the old message boards but I don't for a second think any of those people posting were students or alumni. They were Southern Indiana IU Basketball/Notre Dame Football/Yankees/Lakers fans that have some mental health issues.

The reality is, most alumni know friends and family and BOTH universities and that changes your view on the rivalry like you were discussing, one degree from Purdue and one from IU. Same with my wife. We even have a kid from our hometown on the bench for IU. If he would get in the game, I'd be cheering for him like crazy.

So yeah, perhaps you've had a bad experience, but I don't think a majority of fans in the Big Ten and around the country would share your view. In fact, I see Purdue fans being complimented a lot by opposing schools.

Last edited:

The difference between IU and ND is that ND is still somewhat relevant in football. Not challenging for a championship, but nationally ranked most years.

Derailing threads and whining about being a victim generates pushback anywhere. You call it abuse, but it isn't. In your 100% egocentric life, you have never learned introspection. But it's always all about you.

The difference between IU and ND is that ND is still somewhat relevant in football. Not challenging for a championship, but nationally ranked most years.
Completely agree, that's why I lean towards IU in some ways being closer to Minny than to ND. Notre Dame made the playoffs in 2018 and 2020, IU hasn't been to a FF since 2002 and I don't believe they've been past the SS in the last 20 years.

if you came of age during iu's run of being a hoops power you know the heartache and abuse we took from iu fans for years and years.
Thusly:
I remember walking into Allison plant 5 as a grad a few years out of Purdue, and once they heard that, I got TONS of crap. People coming up after a game (that I wasn't even aware had been played) telling me how great IU was and bad Purdue was. This was from the hourly and a lot of the Supervisors. Wasn't that interested in the time in Purdue FB or BB, but man, I got interested with season tickets in the mid nighties and Keady 3 peating. Was great to see the resurgence in both sports (and then the low spots, and then the resurgence again). Most of the guys who yanked my chain are gone now. I don't think you get the same level out of current generations, even when they're winning.

It's because the current generation has never seen success first-hand. Most have only seen a couple of NCAA tournament appearances. It makes it hard to be arrogant, even though the old-timers still put up a show of false bravado.
💯 💯 💯

2 of the 5 fights in my life came from my having heard one too many "ugly Purdue girl" jokes.
The venom and dislike was real on both sides from mostly, as noted, NON-alums. Still, they took it TOO far and I really got tired of hearing it.
Now many years later my 2 step daughters were at iu for 8 years straight. (one of them never saw iu beat purdue) They are both sweet and bright and the purdue/iu thing is much more casual and less biting than the 70's.
Probably helps that I grasp now that we're ALL the SAME. Just a different school we support. (chuckle)

Reactions: drewjin and Seyton
2 of the 5 fights in my life came from my having heard one too many "ugly Purdue girl" jokes.
The venom and dislike was real on both sides from mostly, as noted, NON-alums. Still, they took it TOO far and I really got tired of hearing it.
Now many years later my 2 step daughters were at iu for 8 years straight. (one of them never saw iu beat purdue) They are both sweet and bright and the purdue/iu thing is much more casual and less biting than the 70's.
Probably helps that I grasp now that we're ALL the SAME. Just a different school we support. (chuckle)
Eight years is a long time to be in college ;)

Completely agree, that's why I lean towards IU in some ways being closer to Minny than to ND. Notre Dame made the playoffs in 2018 and 2020, IU hasn't been to a FF since 2002 and I don't believe they've been past the SS in the last 20 years.

I 100% agree IU is more like Minnesota. Look at our past 30 seasons. We're barely .500 in the conference. Hardly even ranked. We stinks!

if you came of age during iu's run of being a hoops power you know the heartache and abuse we took from iu fans for years and years.
Thusly:
I went thru so much harassment, belittling, demeaning, spitting - and then there was the lawsuit from IU attnys against Lafayette radio and tv station demanding equal time for Loosiers. I am 75 and will NEVER like any IU fan ...

I went thru so much harassment, belittling, demeaning, spitting - and then there was the lawsuit from IU attnys against Lafayette radio and tv station demanding equal time for Loosiers. I am 75 and will NEVER like any IU fan ...
Those people you remember were cloned for many of us in different places. One of those no doubt was the person Doyle wrote about in the Star the other day. If you haven't read it, I think you will find it a symbol of the ignorance many of us experienced years ago. FWIW, during those Knight/Keady battles I would play on a plant wide intercom Hail Purdue and have been known to change the sounds in outlook and such to play a WAV file on some others computers if they didn't log off that were IU fans. No matter what, there was NEVER an IU fan that I thought an equal! ;)

I remember walking into Allison plant 5 as a grad a few years out of Purdue, and once they heard that, I got TONS of crap. People coming up after a game (that I wasn't even aware had been played) telling me how great IU was and bad Purdue was. This was from the hourly and a lot of the Supervisors. Wasn't that interested in the time in Purdue FB or BB, but man, I got interested with season tickets in the mid nighties and Keady 3 peating. Was great to see the resurgence in both sports (and then the low spots, and then the resurgence again). Most of the guys who yanked my chain are gone now. I don't think you get the same level out of current generations, even when they're winning.
Were any of the supervisors engineers, and thus would presumably know enough to respect Purdue's nationally acclaimed engineering programs - if they had not gone to Purdue themselves.

Last edited:
Those people you remember were cloned for many of us in different places. One of those no doubt was the person Doyle wrote about in the Star the other day. If you haven't read it, I think you will find it a symbol of the ignorance many of us experienced years ago. FWIW, during those Knight/Keady battles I would play on a plant wide intercom Hail Purdue and have been known to change the sounds in outlook and such to play a WAV file on some others computers if they didn't log off that were IU fans. No matter what, there was NEVER an IU fan that I thought an equal! ;)

How very obtuse of you, TJ.
rotfl.gif

65a9824e057a6281407700.gif

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese
Guess that’s where we differ cuz I’ve only known them to be mediocre, with some decent teams here and there…but no powerhouse. Just stories “of the good ol days”
I have been around awhile and GET your point. I am in Indianapolis and back in the 80's if you stated you were a Purdue fan or not an IU fan it was unreal the abuse you would take. I remember being in a bar in 1988 and casually mentioning I was a Purdue fan and not an IU fan. Complete IU fan stranger's would come up and get in my face and verbally rant at me. It was just weird... Remember when Knight choked Neil Reed (RIP)? IU fans gathered and hung Reid Effigy's with nooses around his neck.

I will never forget that joke of a Sports Radio host at time "The Sports Babe" (where is she now) hosting her show with Digger Phelps and having Neil Reed on as a guest call. Reed was obviously nervous and Digger defending Knight just took over her show and brow beat Reed on the air. This is while I am a Notre Dame Football fan I dislike Phelps who was always a Knight apologist. At the time I thought this is the end of this "Sports Babe" and it was... You don't let a guest take over your own show and do what Phelps did without repercussions. Another example is Dan Dakich with his sexist comments regarding that female college swim coach eventually being fired by ESPN.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
FWIW I've been paddled MANY times in school. Guys just want to have fun! ;) Think I was at Purdue close to a month before a counselor named me "Trouble Man" after the movie. Obviously some of the things didn't fit ;) He didn't have a sense of humor either

I've seen Trouble Man on Turner Classic Movies! Enjoyed it......Chalky (Paul Winfield) and Pete (Papa Walton - Ralph Waite) try to frame Mr. T.

Synopsis (SPOILER ALERT!):

T (Robert Hooks) is a slick detective who's done very well for himself, but still runs his operation from the same mean streets he grew up on in South Central Los Angeles. His latest case comes from local hoods Chalky (Paul Winfield) and Pete (Ralph Waite), who claim that someone's been robbing their dice games at gunpoint. As T searches for the perpetrator, he realizes the job is a setup. Chalky and Pete have pinned a murder on him, and both cops and criminals think T is to blame.

hqdefault.jpg

Look at me!! Everything is about me!!

FWIW I've been paddled MANY times in school. Guys just want to have fun! ;) Think I was at Purdue close to a month before a counselor named me "Trouble Man" after the movie. Obviously some of the things didn't fit ;) He didn't have a sense of humor either
Wow, I had no idea they were paddling students at Purdue - and giving students nicknames like Trouble Man. I'm sure you deserved it, but I find it very surprising.

When did that stop at Purdue?

Wait, were you a frat guy? They all had paddling fetishes.

• Haha
I've seen Trouble Man on Turner Classic Movies! Enjoyed it......Chalky (Paul Winfield) and Pete (Papa Walton - Ralph Waite) try to frame Mr. T.

Synopsis (SPOILER ALERT!):

T (Robert Hooks) is a slick detective who's done very well for himself, but still runs his operation from the same mean streets he grew up on in South Central Los Angeles. His latest case comes from local hoods Chalky (Paul Winfield) and Pete (Ralph Waite), who claim that someone's been robbing their dice games at gunpoint. As T searches for the perpetrator, he realizes the job is a setup. Chalky and Pete have pinned a murder on him, and both cops and criminals think T is to blame.

hqdefault.jpg
Ya know...some of the parts are sketchy. Years ago around Follett's there was a laundry and I'm thinking maybe a Burger King and such. I had been drinking a bit with some buddies (they both flunked out that year) in September and such. For what ever reason (I have NO idea) we decided they would stage a fight where they beat me and so I enter the laundry and they come in and start yelling at me moments later. I acted scared and ran out and they (two of them) caught me in the field west of McCutcheon and swung at me and kicked at me while I was down. The actually kicked me a bit, but I had been drinking. I just remembered them saying people were standing in the Laundry looking out the window. I laid there for what must have been 30 minutes or so. A few people came by and asked if I was okay. Another said he saw it all and if I knew who did it. Naturally, I said I didn't know. Apparently, someone asked my name and I told them. Well, it was getting dark and so I got up and limped a bit with a couple of stumbles just in case someone was still watching. I got together with them in Tark where they lived and probably drank a bit more. So I ended up sleeping on the floor and the next day I returned to my room. The counselor got word I was in my room and naturally came to see me. He asked how I was and I said fine...a bit surprised in why he asked. He said I never came back last night. I told him I stayed with some friends and he said he was notified that I had been beaten and had the police looking for me. I guess that was enough to get labeled? ;)

Wow, I had no idea they were paddling students at Purdue - and giving students nicknames like Trouble Man. I'm sure you deserved it, but I find it very surprising.

When did that stop at Purdue?

Wait, were you a frat guy? They all had paddling fetishes.
No Frat. Selita Smith (Golden Girl) set up for me to attend some frats, but it wasn't my style. Understand my room was right across the lounge with a powder room as you entered. I had NO roommate...and due to location not really any hours. I liked the privacy of my room for obvious reasons. No, my paddlings quit after my senior year in high school (got two that year). I wasn't allowed to eat at Tark for a while due to throwing a glass of milk at someone. I thought he was going to do the same first and just beat him to the punch. He was one of my friends that staged the fight. The other guy that staged the fight almost got me in a few over the years...one being in Nashville, Tenn. Nope, Frat wouldn't work for me. Liked my time with a female too much

Reactions: Riveting-

Ah, the paddle. I deserved most of mine. I didn't complain much about the few I didn't deserve, because they made up for the times I didn't get caught.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT