ADVERTISEMENT

Some of you understand

Can someone delete this thread so we can get our lives back? This is embarrassing to have on our board.

And then again....I walk into work this morning through a crowd of folks listening to a guy recap a movie he's recently seen, and after saying good morning as I walk by he asks "Hey, want me to fix that cap for you?" I take off my Purdue chapeau and say "Nope, looks pretty good to me." :)

No Frat. Selita Smith (Golden Girl) set up for me to attend some frats, but it wasn't my style. Understand my room was right across the lounge with a powder room as you entered. I had NO roommate...and due to location not really any hours. I liked the privacy of my room for obvious reasons. No, my paddlings quit after my senior year in high school (got two that year). I wasn't allowed to eat at Tark for a while due to throwing a glass of milk at someone. I thought he was going to do the same first and just beat him to the punch. He was one of my friends that staged the fight. The other guy that staged the fight almost got me in a few over the years...one being in Nashville, Tenn. Nope, Frat wouldn't work for me. Liked my time with a female too much
You got paddled as a senior in HS?? That's more than a little creepy. Did you have a Principal that liked that sort of thing?? I can't imagine an 18 year old getting spanked at school.

You got paddled as a senior in HS?? That's more than a little creepy. Did you have a Principal that liked that sort of thing?? I can't imagine an 18 year old getting spanked at school.
First I graduated at 17 and it wasn't that uncommon back then. Actually, that practice went on for over a decade later. Nothing scary other than the teacher breaking the paddle on the guy before me on the last one. It was just a bit of horseplay in a shop class. I liked the guy, but boy could he put some heat on. I wasn't comfortable sitting down for a couple of hours later. Seems like someone was getting paddled every couple of days or so? ;)

Reactions: BoilerAndy
First I graduated at 17 and it wasn't that uncommon back then. Actually, that practice went on for over a decade later. Nothing scary other than the teacher breaking the paddle on the guy before me on the last one. It was just a bit of horseplay in a shop class. I liked the guy, but boy could he put some heat on. I wasn't comfortable sitting down for a couple of hours later. Seems like someone was getting paddled every couple of days or so? ;)
I'm not as old as you (58) but no way were Seniors in HS getting paddled at our school. Suspended more likely or kicked out of a class, but spanking someone that old just seems weird.

I'm not as old as you (58) but no way were Seniors in HS getting paddled at our school. Suspended more likely or kicked out of a class, but spanking someone that old just seems weird.
Suspended (in school many times, but not me) was what followed. I know of instances where a principal and another Asst/A.D. would get a kid alone and throw him up against the lockers when nobody was around and tell the kid the way things were going down. It was a different time. FWIW, I had a government teacher that I liked that for whatever reason that whenever he sat down on a toilet in the teacher's lounge he hung up his pants. One day someone stole his pants. I told him years later I had nothing to do with it, but I know he went to his deathbed thinking I did...which brings me to another time with another counselor at Purdue. ;) It was different back then. Little class time was loss for other students as it was rather quick and the signal to the brain was sent rather quick. It didn't scar me, but understand it was foreign to some today. I never got one from a teacher that later became principal, but understood he could swing one as well. People a decade or two older would tell stories about a rather hulking man that grabbed a principal and held him partially out a second story window. I knew the man and his stories in WW2.

Anyway, I'm sure it sounds weird today, but was not uncommon years ago. People could get paddled for excessive talking in class. ;)

Swats, not spanking. In the shower in gym class it was a badge of honor to have the paddle imprint on your buttocks.

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese
Swats, not spanking. In the shower in gym class it was a badge of honor to have the paddle imprint on your buttocks.
Swats was the description back then. I didn't know if someone might think swats was slapping or smacking or whatever and so I said paddled. The default was 3 swats, but once in a while 2 would suffice for some instances. We are probably about the same age if 75 was when you graduated from Purdue. I was 76

and throw him up against the lockers when nobody was around
5th or 6th grade, walking down the hall as a class past the Principal Mr. Krieger (German for "warrior") when Vince Lahr smirked, just smirked mind you, in his general direction. Like lightening, pulled out of the line and WHAMMED against the wall as he was read the riot act.

There were no more incidences of smirking that day.

Suspended (in school many times, but not me) was what followed. I know of instances where a principal and another Asst/A.D. would get a kid alone and throw him up against the lockers when nobody was around and tell the kid the way things were going down. It was a different time. FWIW, I had a government teacher that I liked that for whatever reason that whenever he sat down on a toilet in the teacher's lounge he hung up his pants. One day someone stole his pants. I told him years later I had nothing to do with it, but I know he went to his deathbed thinking I did...which brings me to another time with another counselor at Purdue. ;) It was different back then. Little class time was loss for other students as it was rather quick and the signal to the brain was sent rather quick. It didn't scar me, but understand it was foreign to some today. I never got one from a teacher that later became principal, but understood he could swing one as well. People a decade or two older would tell stories about a rather hulking man that grabbed a principal and held him partially out a second story window. I knew the man and his stories in WW2.

Anyway, I'm sure it sounds weird today, but was not uncommon years ago. People could get paddled for excessive talking in class. ;)
Not weird for getting paddled. I grew up in the era of still paddling in school. But at the HS level, that is just strange behavior. Elementary aged kids get paddled. I just asked my uncle who is more your age and he laughed and said there wasn't a teacher big enough to paddle him when he was a Senior. That's what I was thinking also. Can't even imagine what that interaction would have been like. One of us would have been going to the hospital (or jail). Obviously we went to different types of high schools! Carry on.

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese
6th grade huh. Yeah, I was caught retaliating against another that threw a spit ball or something to me moments before. We were in the cafe watching a movie which was kinda rare back then. Mr Bland 6'9" 290 lbs was his calling card... caught me and told me to go with him. Once outside he helped the pace by putting is hands around my neck (not sure my feet ever touched while we walked) and took me down the hall and upstairs...and I think in the library, but none of that left an impression like him "walking" me. Ya know I never really thought about this being creepy to some younger. It was just standard operating procedure back then. ;)

Not weird for getting paddled. I grew up in the era of still paddling in school. But at the HS level, that is just strange behavior. Elementary aged kids get paddled. I just asked my uncle who is more your age and he laughed and said there wasn't a teacher big enough to paddle him when he was a Senior. That's what I was thinking also. Can't even imagine what that interaction would have been like. One of us would have been going to the hospital (or jail). Obviously we went to different types of high schools! Carry on.
different times and different places. Had to laugh at your uncle's situation, but can understand his thoughts. We never looked at it like that. We did something wrong and that is how they addressed it then. Actually, it was quite common that paddles were signed by those that they were used on. Some teachers only had one, but others might let you choose which paddle you wanted swatted with.

I went thru so much harassment, belittling, demeaning, spitting - and then there was the lawsuit from IU attnys against Lafayette radio and tv station demanding equal time for Loosiers. I am 75 and will NEVER like any IU fan ...
I'm glad that many others have not experienced such stuff. In the 70-80's if you had a purdue sticker on your car you wouldn't be shocked if your car got vandalized. More than once. There were iu flags flying on 25% of the houses in our neighborhood. More than one Purdue flag disappeared overnight if you flew it. Any girl in a Purdue shirt was likely to hear the elephant call with the hand trunk motion. And I'm talking in the grocery store and school kind of stuff. Even the pretty ones. A couple of teachers in our GRADE school openly put down Purdue and boiler fans and promoted the picking on of boiler fans by iu fans (and the kids listened). The rivalry I grew up living was harsh and ugly and I'm glad its over that way. (Fort Wayne and parochial schools)

Last edited:
Can someone delete this thread so we can get our lives back? This is embarrassing to have on our board.
If you had been demeaned, belittled and laughed at for ten years by doctors and lawyers and your kids had been bullied and made fun of by their kids ... you would not say that.

I'm glad that many others have not experienced such stuff. In the 70-80's if you had a purdue sticker on your car you wouldn't be shocked if your car got vandalized. More than once. There were iu flags flying on 25% of the houses in our neighborhood. More than one Purdue flag disappeared overnight if you flew it. Any girl in a Purdue shirt was likely to hear the elephant call with the hand trunk motion. And I'm talking in the grocery store and school kind of stuff. Even the pretty ones. A couple of teachers in our GRADE school openly put down Purdue and boiler fans and promoted the picking on of boiler fans by iu fans (and the kids listened). The rivalry I grew up living was harsh and ugly and I'm glad its over that way. (Fort Wayne and parochial schools)
My wife had to go to Bloomington on business, her car had a purdue sticker on it. It was rammed, then the guy drove by her, flipped her off and we never got an insurance settlement.

There were teachers in my kids' school that had their room look like a SHRINE to IU ... yes, they were not at all fair or just. And we were in Tippecanoe county. Several baseball coachs for summer rec were asshole IU fans ... it was sickening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT