ADVERTISEMENT

So Lundardi is picking the Bearcats

Mar 13, 2008
Louisville, KY
Seems this guy has had some weird grudge against us this year, saying we were basically on the bubble up until the Penn State game which apparently wasn't even remotely close.

Now he is picking Cincy because Purdue lacks big game experience. Sorry but have to laugh at this a bit, not to take anything away from the Bearcats but if you look at their schedule it doesn't stand out as being "big time". I guess he his line of thinking is that minus Octeus no one has played in the tournament, but I wouldn't say this team hasn't played in any big time games...
Forget on the road at Wisky, IU both times, Maui Tournament, NC State, Ohio State twice and at Breslin this year. Yeah, those will be walks in the park when it comes to this game..

It's amazing this guy gets a salary from ESPN.

I think we'll win, because I'm a Boiler, but this is a tough matchup. They haven't played the kind of competition we had toward the end, but they were getting hot. Folks might also not realize that in our last 10 games the only tourney team we've beat is the IU team that everyone here likes to say shouldn't be in the field. We only have one conference win against a team seeded higher than us. And one non-conf win against a team seeded higher than us, so that's only 2 teams we've beat (Iowa and NC State) that ended up getting a higher seed than us. A 7 and 8 Seed. We are the lower seed, and the underdog, while I'm not a big fan of Lunardi and his new found tv personality bs, it's not unfathomable to think an 8 seed should beat a 9 seed.

The one thing we have going for us is that I don't believe Painter has lost and opening round game?

It is an 8/9 matchup.

I could honestly see it going either way, so I don't think Lunardi is nuts for picking Cincy (even if his "big game" reasoning is quite a reach). I really hope that our guys all play their best game, but that isn't something that's happened yet (all in the same game, that is). Even so, if we can keep AJ going, have Davis do his thing, and get outside shooting from some combination of our wings (Stephens, Mathias, Edwards), and our defense is what it has been most of 2015, I think we've got a good chance.

This post was edited on 3/16 2:32 PM by indyogb

Re: It is an 8/9 matchup.

Originally posted by indyogb:
I could honestly see it going either way, so I don't think Lunardi it's nuts picking Cincy (even if his "big game" reasoning is quite a reach). I really hope that our guys all play their best game, but that isn't something that's happened yet (all in the same game, that is). Even so, if we can keep AJ going, have Davis do his thing, and get outside shooting from some combination of our wings (Stephens, Mathias, Edwards), and our defense is what it has been most of 2015, I think we've got a good chance.
I don't think they even need to play their best game, they just have to play a consistent game and have no turnovers. As was mentioned elsewhere, if they could find a way to put two complete halves of Boiler basketball together, they'd be a tough team to face.

Agree Dr. We have been pretty good about beating teams at our level in the tournament. Statistically the 8 9 game is essentially a coin flip with a slight edge to the 9s, so it's not a big egregious error to pick an 8 seed. I like our chances.

Damn. This doesn't bode well for my Bearcats. I'm elated when Lunardi picks our opponent - it generally means we're going to win. Good sign for the Boilers.

It's not a real big salary. Management isn't stupid and he's a one trick pony. Plus there are like 100 bracket experts out there. BTW I told you his seeding would be bullshit but did he get the team's right? I didn't check.

Originally posted by coloradobearcat:
Damn. This doesn't bode well for my Bearcats. I'm elated when Lunardi picks our opponent - it generally means we're going to win. Good sign for the Boilers.
Now I feel better. The Lunardi Curse is on our side. Isn't a Colorado Bearcat a Mountain Lion or Cougar in them there parts?

This post was edited on 3/16 4:56 PM by GemstateBoiler

This post was edited on 3/16 4:58 PM by GemstateBoiler

This post was edited on 3/16 4:59 PM by GemstateBoiler

Originally posted by Heller:
It's not a real big salary. Management isn't stupid and he's a one trick pony. Plus there are like 100 bracket experts out there. BTW I told you his seeding would be bullshit but did he get the team's right? I didn't check.
He had Indiana and UCLA out and Temple and Colorado State in. Also had Dayton and BYU out of the play-in. He seemed to get more "air" time this year, so maybe the perception is that he was more off than he was, including from me. He's always off on some of the seeding.

These guys always reach a tipping point where they become more of a fictional type character, like Dukie V. This year, he seemed to officially become "Joey Brackets."

JMO

Originally posted by Heller:

He had Indiana and UCLA out and Temple and Colorado State in. Also had Dayton and BYU out of the play-in. He seemed to get more "air" time this year, so maybe the perception is that he was more off than he was, including from me. He's always off on some of the seeding.

These guys always reach a tipping point where they become more of a fictional type character, like Dukie V. This year, he seemed to officially become "Joey Brackets."

JMO

Did he miss four teams? Usually he only will miss one. He has never been much of an expert at seeding. In fact, he sucks. But I'm sure he would do better than I. I'd put IU as the 16 seed playing KY since they whined for a year about not getting to play them any more. ;)

Win or lose,Lundardi is a butt licker. How else would a 5ft.5 200lb. gob of shit know any thing about basketball.Let ESPN pay him for whot!

Why get so worked up about who Lunardi or anyone else is predicting to win the game? It doesn't affect the outcome, whether the "experts" predict Purdue or Cincy will win. Whether you like the bracket experts or not, they have done a great job of creating their own brand and getting people to talk about what they say, which is why ESPN and CBS Sports pay guys like Lunardi and Palm. They drive visitors to their websites.

Nice of Joe to name drop me in his tourney preview - I just finished taking his Bracketology class and it was good insight to the selection process. Overall Lunardi and Palm do a good job year in year out but committee members change thus resulting in UCLA being picked this yr. Committee was high on power conf teams after looking at final seed list. Lunardi did a good job in his class & gave us all access to what happens behind the scenes both at espn and committee room. I would definitely recommend to others & was esp interesting this year w/ Boilers on bubble

Boilermaker Dave

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT