ADVERTISEMENT

So, does Carson’s contract

Jul 4, 2011
Guarantee him a spot with the Celtics, or is he just guaranteed the money and could still end up playing in the g league?

He wont play in the g league. Romeo will start there to work on his shot. Stevens said it might take a year to fix his hitch.

There's some kind of distinction with certain guys who have a 2-way contract, which Carsen does not have AFAIK. With a 2-way contract, the player can go back and forth between NBA and D/G/whatever they call it now - league. Sort of like a baseball player who has plenty of options left so he can go between the big league club and AAA many times.

I was just reading a minute ago that Tremont Waters signed a deal with the C's, but his is a 2-way contract. There was something about him being able to be with the C's for 45 days. The article I read likes Carsen to be the back-up PG to Kemba Walker.

As a lifelong Celts fan, I can tell you that they badly need speed on the ball and another deep threat. Carsen brings both, and thus I think he will get every opportunity to get decent playing time at the very least as a back up out the gate. Stevens uses rotations well, and he and Smart could really be a two headed dragon that bolsters this team when they are needed.

I think Anyone can go down to the g league in theory. However, Carsen's contract is guaranteed. So If that happened he'd Still get paid. Biggie was/is in this situation. I think Biggie even voluntarily asked to go to the g league once or twice. A 2-way contract means you can only be with the parent club about half the year and thus paid accordingly.

Didn't AJ Hammons also get a couple million and play g league?

Yes....he was a second-rounder but did get a 3-year guaranteed deal from the Dallas Mavericks. I think Miami then guaranteed some of it after his trade to the Heat to be able to use more of it in a possible deal - all as part of the NBA's quantum physics-like salary cap/trade rules and exceptions.

IIRC, AJH stayed in the G-League the entire time with Miami until the Heat waived him.

Yes....he was a second-rounder but did get a 3-year guaranteed deal from the Dallas Mavericks. I think Miami then guaranteed some of it after his trade to the Heat to be able to use more of it in a possible deal - all as part of the NBA's quantum physics-like salary cap/trade rules and exceptions.

IIRC, AJH stayed in the G-League the entire time with Miami until the Heat waived him.

Anyone know where Hammons is now? Is he playing overseas or done with basketball? He just vanished.

Anyone know where Hammons is now? Is he playing overseas or done with basketball? He just vanished.
Podcast I heard Sounded like he was busy with some things and was going to get back into bball. Not sure what path he was thinking of taking, but I can't imagine him playing again in the U.S.

Reactions: Roeder
Guarantee him a spot with the Celtics, or is he just guaranteed the money and could still end up playing in the g league?

Guaranteed contracts are almost never cut, and he wont spend allot of time in the G-League if any at all, but he might not play allot depending on how injuries, rotations, etc go.

Summer league is so terrible its still hard to get a handle on what he can be in the NBA and if he will get minutes

Right now he might get some minutes as backup pg with Marcus Smart handling much of the actual pg duties, but Smart is a perfect player to play with Carsen as Marcus isn't a great shooter or scorer but can guard the 1-3 well and is good playmaker and ball handler.

Honestly Carsen fits in perfect to the Boston rotation and should see 15+ minutes a game, more if he shows the type of ability he showed in summer league, but remember Boston considers themselves a contender so minutes will be earned not given.

Anyone know how lucrative this is for someone like Carsen? Good for him.

Usually not much. Anywhere from a couple of million total to just getting free shoes. I would guess if there is any money in the deal, its less than a million and could very likely just be free shoes.

Reactions: ChuckJr
Usually not much. Anywhere from a couple of million total to just getting free shoes. I would guess if there is any money in the deal, its less than a million and could very likely just be free shoes.
There will be C Boogie shoes before we know it.

Reactions: TX4GB
Anyone know how lucrative this is for someone like Carsen? Good for him.

Since when is “a couple million” not much? “very likely just free shoes”? SMH

Here’s some real information...most deals are $250K/year, all the way up to $200M lifetime contracts....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...nba-shoe-deals-nike-adidas-under-armour-guide

Last edited:

Here’s some real information...most deals are $250K/year, all the way up to $200M lifetime contracts....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...nba-shoe-deals-nike-adidas-under-armour-guide
$250K/year... nice pocket change. Use it to make house payments on Mom's new house.

Someone mentioned that these guys should immediately get with a trusted financial advisor. Even with the low-end deal (by NBA standards) Carsen got, he should save/invest as much as possible. He should be able to live comfortably (by most people's standards) off of his savings after his contract expires. I expect him to play much, much longer than that, but there are no guarantees.

He wont play in the g league. Romeo will start there to work on his shot. Stevens said it might take a year to fix his hitch.

Having to fix Romeo?:rolleyes: Oh my, but Romeo is so good.....it was just his finger that needed fixing the Hoosiers kept telling us...tic

Last edited:
Reactions: Purdue85
$250K/year... nice pocket change. Use it to make house payments on Mom's new house.

Someone mentioned that these guys should immediately get with a trusted financial advisor. Even with the low-end deal (by NBA standards) Carsen got, he should save/invest as much as possible. He should be able to live comfortably (by most people's standards) off of his savings after his contract expires. I expect him to play much, much longer than that, but there are no guarantees.
haha that was me. :cool:

Reactions: BoilerAndy

In nba money, 250k a year is not much money, its absurd what NBA players are making. But good for Carsen, and yeah, it could be around 250k a year, they didn't release the figures. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was mainly a free shoe deal.

And for those wanting a pare of Carsen Edwards, a shoe deal doesn't mean he will have shoes made his name, just means he wears are brand exclusively and gets free shoes.

lol Pretty sure Stevens never said that. Feel free to link the quote and show me I'm wrong though. What they did say is that he is only allowed to practice in non-contact drills right now while he recovers from surgery, so it's a good time to work on the hitch in his shot before the season and real games start. I'll also be here to eat crow if Romeo starts in the G League....but that won't happen.

lol Pretty sure Stevens never said that. Feel free to link the quote and show me I'm wrong though. What they did say is that he is only allowed to practice in non-contact drills right now while he recovers from surgery, so it's a good time to work on the hitch in his shot before the season and real games start. I'll also be here to eat crow if Romeo starts in the G League....but that won't happen.

Agreed lottery picks, even late lottery, seldom play in the g-league. Although I am sure people will point out players like Anthony Bennett who was drafted 1st overall and played a full year last year in the G-League, but as a rookie he spent the entire year in the NBA stinking it up. It wasn't till he didn't have a team he went down to the developmental league.

Remember, 15 on roster (plus 2 2-way players), 13 are active. Most teams have 2 players hurt if even minor at any given time. The 2 way contracts were designed to be the players you are developing for the g-league, not your lottery picks.

Honestly even though he is a 2nd round pick, I doubt Carsen spends any time in the G-League either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT