ADVERTISEMENT

Six foot seven or eight athletic guys…

Who can create their own shots, drive to the hoop, pull up for a two or three and are long on D. That’s a part of NCAA winning teams. Does not have to be the main guy/ star of team. Many teams have more than one of these guys. I see them on the Elite eight teams this year. We have none, usually have none. Last one of note was Vince Edwards.
We usually don't like to teach that. We have the old school "get in the paint" mentality. Have said it before guys like Gillis need to learn to dribble drive. He has the body for it and could take the body contact

You have any clips of him beating guys off the dribble?

No, I’ve only got great mental images from watching several games that I can’t quite transmit -- plays that drew whoo’s from the broadcasters as well as the crowds. But I’m sure just about everyone in the Big East has nice clips of him. Especially Villanova. Although I understand they’re still busy. So is the team Wheeler bagged 11 and 7 against while beating, St. Peter’s.

Not to be forgotten, the other end of the court, where Wheeler this season had 30 blocks and 16 steals, while Gillis ended his regular season with exactly … 7 and 7. Me? I’d prefer a highball.

No, I’ve only got great mental images from watching several games that I can’t quite transmit -- plays that drew whoo’s from the broadcasters as well as the crowds. But I’m sure just about everyone in the Big East has nice clips of him. Especially Villanova. Although I understand they’re still busy. So is the team Wheeler bagged 11 and 7 against while beating, St. Peter’s.

Not to be forgotten, the other end of the court, where Wheeler this season had 30 blocks and 16 steals, while Gillis ended his regular season with exactly … 7 and 7. Me? I’d prefer a highball.
Wheeler had 4 years to get it done here. Got beat out by Gillis last year, and no reason to think this year would have been any different. Maybe a lower profile program with less pressure was a better fit.

Wheeler had 4 years to get it done here. Got beat out by Gillis last year, and no reason to think this year would have been any different. Maybe a lower profile program with less pressure was a better fit.

Lower profile. Now that’s the best description of our 6-5 starting forward I’ve heard.

No question about it...I was only making the case in Mason's case that it was a shame that it happened while selling out to make a play...going to the floor in an effort to get a loose ball...it was just the ultimate "bad luck" foul...Sasha's was just a brutal foul...inexcusable foul...the reverse of Mason's in that he fouled for not having done his job before it on the play and then compounded that by committing the foul. That said, Sasha NEVER should have been on Edert.
If Gillis had been aware of the shot clock, he never would’ve dove for that ball. The player wasn’t going to get a shot off. Our ball, down two.

Picking on Sasha who was at least hitting shots is weak.

If Gillis had been aware of the shot clock, he never would’ve dove for that ball. The player wasn’t going to get a shot off. Our ball, down two.

Picking on Sasha who was at least hitting shots is weak.
Sasha was the greatest of defensive liabilities there is...and, again, that foul was a product of not doing his job defensively before the foul...he was chasing...he is always chasing...and, he fouled as a result. That said, and I said it initially, there was no reason Sasha was on Edert...that was a mistake in and of itself.

Again, Gillis' foul was horrible, but, at least it was an effort play, which is what he does...Sasha's foul was just a result of not doing his job initially and then compounding it with the foul.

I watched a lot of Wheeler this year. Same old dribbling off his leg.

So, you saw his same old one turnover per game. Great observation. You saw his season average. Then surely you also saw his 10 points and 5 rebounds per game, his 48-percent shooting overall, 39 percent from three, his 1.5 assists and 1 block per game inside his 22 minutes per game. His 16 starts, with 14 in the last 15 games. Playing a position where we got much smaller numbers from much smaller and slower people, ultimately losing to seven teams who outsized and generally beat us at forward.

Wheeler also finished the year with no missed games, no suspensions and no DWIs.

And just maybe you saw the news of his resurrection featured in the New York Post.
https://nypost.com/2022/01/18/aaron-wheeler-finding-game-for-st-johns/

https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2022/01/aaron-wheeler-st-johns-transfer.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT