ADVERTISEMENT

Should we be contacting Drew Brees ?

MJ-79Boiler

Senior
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2015
Yeah, . . I know he is still playing in the big league, but would it change our approach if he told us he would be interested in coaching college ball after he retires ??

It would sure change mine ! I would go after a solid coach who could give us 4-5 solid years & start pulling us out of the muck, like a Craig Bohl, North Dakota State/Wyoming (who recruited the kids who won 5 natl. championships in a "row")

I mean, . . think about it

Could Brees do it ? Check (great football mind)
Recruiting ? Check
Could he get donations ? Check
Believe in a shotgun offense ? Check
Have great contacts to get great assistant coaches ? Check
Fire up entire fan base overnight ? Check

Hell, . . I would start buying tickets now, if I knew the plan was to hire him when he retires. Now THAT is what I call "rebuilding" the program !
Boiler up !

I would love to have him as a QB coach, not as a head coach just yet. Even Brees would need to work his way up and he would have a lot to learn.

Doubt he'd want to do it and doubt it would work out well if we did hire him straight to the head coach position.

I agree . . he may not do it (either HC or QB coach), but to NOT check him before we lock him out of the option would be "sinful".

He's going to do something after he retires from the NFL & he loves the game. Who knows, he may one day want to coach in the NFL. I can't think of a name that would instantly unify everyone ! !

I agree . . he may not do it (either HC or QB coach), but to NOT check him before we lock him out of the option would be "sinful".

He's going to do something after he retires from the NFL & he loves the game. Who knows, he may one day want to coach in the NFL. I can't think of a name that would instantly unify everyone ! !

I would put money down on politics.

Yeah, . . I know he is still playing in the big league, but would it change our approach if he told us he would be interested in coaching college ball after he retires ??

It would sure change mine ! I would go after a solid coach who could give us 4-5 solid years & start pulling us out of the muck, like a Craig Bohl, North Dakota State/Wyoming (who recruited the kids who won 5 natl. championships in a "row")

Recruiting ? Check

Hell, . . I would start buying tickets now, if I knew the plan was to hire him when he retires. Now THAT is what I call "rebuilding" the program !
Boiler up !
I think his opinion should be valued. He may have recommendations.

Never going to happen. He has enough money and would never want to invest that kind of time. I could see him as a consultative advisor to the athletic department one day down the road.
Maybe as a VP of Football Operations? Help find coaches, scout players, offer tactical advice, promote/market the program, etc.

Probably not going to happen, but it would be fun.

Recruiting ? Check

Boiler up !

Uh, no. He's not retiring any time soon.

No.

No expierence coaching, recruiting, running a program, managing a game from the sidelines. We are not in a position to let someone learn on the job.

Reactions: threeeputtt
For HC??

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...no.

Things like VP of FBO, AD, insight/opinion/search commitee, Branding, etc etc...of course. I think he's got a few years left in NOLA tho.

For HC??

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...no.

Things like VP of FBO, AD, insight/opinion/search commitee, Branding, etc etc...of course. I think he's got a few years left in NOLA tho.
I'd take his HC down in NOLA though.

Why would Drew give up life in NOLA for coaching in Lafayette??? Yep, he's a Boiler thru and thru but don't see that as a strong enough draw to give up the life he has built in the south.

Why would Drew give up life in NOLA for coaching in Lafayette??? Yep, he's a Boiler thru and thru but don't see that as a strong enough draw to give up the life he has built in the south.

Can you be on the BOT without living in the state? I could see Drew becoming a BOT member for the university.

Brees is best ambassador we have going for Purdue football right now. MB2 needs to make sure he listens to him and keeps him close to the program. But our next head coach? Um.. No.

Reactions: IndyRider
Bring him in as an advisor to the football team or AD but not a coach. He's got so much money, he won't need to 'work'.

No.

No expierence coaching, recruiting, running a program, managing a game from the sidelines. We are not in a position to let someone learn on the job.
Absolutely nailed why he is NOT a candidate plus add his working knowledge of college coaches for a staff has to be nil. However, we can still use him as an advisor-and we already do that.

Recruiting ? Check

Boiler up !
No, absolutely not. Why pass up Dungy, Gruden or Manning, who are all just waiting to get Bobo's call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT