ADVERTISEMENT

Not sure what needs to be done, but SOMETHING has to change

Dec 2, 2010
I know people are going to say that Painter should go, and I can't say I disagree at this time. While I can appreciate the manner in which Painter runs the program, this is unacceptable. It's not working and hasn't been for some time. The regular season title is good, but it can't be the ultimate goal. The tourney title is good, but it can't be the ultimate goal either. We need to expect more from Purdue Basketball.

Even with the possibility of things going worse altogether, is that worse than what we're feeling now? Would you rather know the NIT wouldn't touch your program with a 10-foot pole than go through this again? If Painter doesn't go, he needs to have assistants who can take over when he starts to overthink things as I truly think that's his downfall. He gets into a game and thinks, this has worked for 30+ games - it'll work again. Until it doesn't.

I don't know what the answer is, but something has to change.

I know people are going to say that Painter should go, and I can't say I disagree at this time. While I can appreciate the manner in which Painter runs the program, this is unacceptable. It's not working and hasn't been for some time. The regular season title is good, but it can't be the ultimate goal. The tourney title is good, but it can't be the ultimate goal either. We need to expect more from Purdue Basketball.

Even with the possibility of things going worse altogether, is that worse than what we're feeling now? Would you rather know the NIT wouldn't touch your program with a 10-foot pole than go through this again? If Painter doesn't go, he needs to have assistants who can take over when he starts to overthink things as I truly think that's his downfall. He gets into a game and thinks, this has worked for 30+ games - it'll work again. Until it doesn't.

We honestly would've been better off having Shrews try and lead the program. Could we somehow attract an up and coming coaching prospect or a coach with a proven (but faded) track record?

We all feel the same. Something needs changed. Painter isn't going anywhere. He wins games and runs a clean program. So with that being said guess we have to look at the players he is bringing in or plays being called?

Reactions: Baritter

I find it difficult to believe that so many folks who post on this forum and obviously follow our program to some extent— actually seem to be entertaining seriously the idea that Matt Painter might be replaced any time soon.as our head coach. Regardless of the record in March Madness( or Sadness), Psinter will be Purdue’s coach for as long as he wants to be. And after watching his post-game press conference after the loss to FDU, I didn’t detect anything butPainter’s passionate commitment to work harder and overcome the disappointment. He’s not going anywhere unless Bobinski fires him. Does anyone REALLY think that will happen? I just don’t think so. Fire the coach who just won two big ten titles and is one of the most admired and respected coaches in the country?I guess time will tell., but I really doubt that will happen. and for all the blame that Painter is going to get for another early exit, it was easy to see in the post-game press conference why any multiple dozens of schools would LOVE to have him as their head coach. And, I suspect, that if his coaching tenure at Purdue ended right now, more Purdue fans would regret that rather than welcome it.

Last edited:
I find it difficult to believe that so many folks who post on this forum and obviously follow our program to some extent— actually seem to be entertaining seriously the idea that Matt Painter might be replaced any time soon.as our head coach. Regardless of the record in March Madness( or Sadness), Psinter will be Purdue’s coach for as long as he wants to be. And after watching his post-game press conference after the loss to FDU, I didn’t detect anything butPainter’s passionate commitment to work harder and overcome the disappointment. He’s not going anywhere unless Bobinski fires him. Does anyone REALLY think that will happen? I just don’t think so. Fire the coach who just won two big ten titles and is one of the most admired and respected coaches in the country?I guess time will tell., but I really doubt that will happen. and for all the blame that Painter is going to get for another early exit, it was easy to see in the post-game press conference why any multiple dozens of schools would LOVE to have him as their head coach. And, I suspect, that if his coaching tenure at Purdue ended right now, more Purdue fans would regret that rather than welcome it.
Some of my long time friends and myself will not be renewing JPC or supporting Purdue basketball in any way until Painter is gone and strongly encourage others to do the same.

If they do ask why we’re not renewing, we will specifically cite the reason:

Painter needs to go.

Is anyone really that excited for our prospects to make the Elite 8 anytime soon ? (Nevermind a final 4)

Reactions: Baritter and Gesysp
I would rather win tourney games than press conferences. He’s our coach, not our advertising department.

Some of my long time friends and myself will not be renewing JPC or supporting Purdue basketball in any way until Painter is gone and strongly encourage others to do the same.

Painter needs to go.

Is anyone really that excited for our prospects to make the Elite 8 anytime soon ? (Nevermind a final 4)
I sincerely doubt that Matt Painter's future as our basketball coach depends upon your membership and that of your long-time friends in the JPC. I'D ALSO BE VERY surprised if there's a run by JPC members to cancel their memberships because of your encouragement for them to do so. Let's see how all of that works out.As for me, I'll be keeping my JPC membership as well as renewing my season tickets for basketball. I don't go to games or continue my JPC membership because of my excitement at the prospect of making it to the elite 8 or final 4. I go to the games because I'm a basketball fan and have fun watching the students play the games. I have fun at the games and enjoy cheering the team on with thousands of other Purdue fans.

Last edited:

So it is unacceptable, ;when did you come to this decision, just after tonite? So if you do not win a Natl Championship in how many years, when should coach be fired? You realize how few coaches have won a Natty?

Painter needs to go.

I am sure all your money will be missed.

• Wow
Reactions: clankhan
So it is unacceptable, ;when did you come to this decision, just after tonite? So if you do not win a Natl Championship in how many years, when should coach be fired? You realize how few coaches have won a Natty?
How many lost to 16 seed in tournament:)
Relax folks, painter ain't going nowhere.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Losing to a weak 16 seed team should never happen to a good team with a competent coach. No matter how hard Painter works at it, I'm afraid this will continue to happen. It is what it is.

If you would spoke a bit more coherently William, people may just agree with you more.

People on this board need to realize that calling out a coach who loses in unprecedented fashion is not equivocal to being a fan of a rival. I know it's complicated - let me know if you want me to use smaller words.
With some here the best defense is offense. When they can't defend the performance of Painter, they turn to attacking you by offense. You will become the subject and talking point.

Too many big ten games and the tournament ends on Sunday and you have to be ready to play somewhere else on Thursday. Travel etc.

Talent. It's about the talent.

If you've been watching the tournament, you've seen dozens and dozens of highly-skilled and talented players across the spectrum of teams and conferences. I can't even count how many guys I've seen create their own shot off the dribble or nail a step back 3. We don't have any guys who can do that right now!! WTF We were lucky to have Ivey last year. Painter wants what he wants from his recruits, but it's not matching up with what's needed come tournament time.

People on this board need to realize that calling out a coach who loses in unprecedented fashion is not equivocal to being a fan of a rival. I know it's complicated - let me know if you want me to use smaller words.
I just want you to go away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT