ADVERTISEMENT

Shaka Smart 2 - Painter 0

He’s one of the most overrated coaches in all of sports. Since he’s been at Texas he’s only a few games over .500.

Reactions: Purdue0034
Lol. You think painter was outcoached? For real?

Was he playing bad free throw defense? Making or missing open 3s?

Purdue wins that game 8 out of 10 times. It fing sucks that was 1 of the two. That's pretty much all there is to that one.

Need to win the next three to hit conference games on a roll

That game was only close because CE played out of his mind. Even if he scores his average of 24 and Cline scores his avg of 14, we still lose that game by double digits. Outside of CE, we had no offensive threats.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
That game was only close because CE played out of his mind. Even if he scores his average of 24 and Cline scores his avg of 14, we still lose that game by double digits. Outside of CE, we had no offensive threats.

I disagree with your premise. There were enough makeable shots to win that game.

Reactions: Knights2715
Lol. You think painter was outcoached? For real?

Was he playing bad free throw defense? Making or missing open 3s?

Purdue wins that game 8 out of 10 times. It fing sucks that was 1 of the two. That's pretty much all there is to that one.

Need to win the next three to hit conference games on a roll

He's clearly been outrecruiting Painter. You can't argue with that. And the last time I looked, his VCU team beat a pretty good Purdue team in the NCAA tournament with ALOT less talent than Purdue had. Right now, he's 2-0 versus Painter. That's all that matters. But you can keep making excuses.

And I'd really like to know how Purdue wins that matchup 8 out of 10. I certainly don't see how. If Carsen didn't go off for 40 points, it wouldn't have been close.

He’s one of the most overrated coaches in all of sports. Since he’s been at Texas he’s only a few games over .500.

First 3 seasons at Texas, he had a 0.514 winning %. First 3 seasons at Purdue, Painter had a 0.580 winning %. For his career, Smart has a .669 winning %. Painter has a .674 winning %. Smart has a Final Four appearance. Painter does not.

So if Shaka Smart is overrated, then clearly Matt Painter is as well.

Reactions: bonefish1
First 3 seasons at Texas, he had a 0.514 winning %. First 3 seasons at Purdue, Painter had a 0.580 winning %. For his career, Smart has a .669 winning %. Painter has a .674 winning %. Smart has a Final Four appearance. Painter does not.

So if Shaka Smart is overrated, then clearly Matt Painter is as well.
Smart’s winning percentage is only as high as it is because he spent years playing mid level competition at VCU.

I’m not claiming Matt Painter is the greatest, but I don't understand the love fest for Smart. He made 1 Final Four run (Porter Moser just made a Final Four too, so that’s a debatable measuring stick) but has not proven himself capable of winning consistently against top tier competition. He’s still young so could improve, but I see nothing special right now.

As a side note, there’s a 0% chance he would leave Texas to go to Purdue without being fired so this whole conversation is probably pointless.

Reactions: BoilerIron
Smart’s winning percentage is only as high as it is because he spent years playing mid level competition at VCU.

I’m not claiming Matt Painter is the greatest, but I don't understand the love fest for Smart. He made 1 Final Four run (Porter Moser just made a Final Four too, so that’s a debatable measuring stick) but has not proven himself capable of winning consistently against top tier competition. He’s still young so could improve, but I see nothing special right now.

As a side note, there’s a 0% chance he would leave Texas to go to Purdue without being fired so this whole conversation is probably pointless.

1 Final Four is 1 more than Painter has (or will have).
And when did you talk to Shaka that he told you he wouldn’t come to Purdue?
Jeff Brohm sends his regards.

1 Final Four is 1 more than Painter has (or will have).
And when did you talk to Shaka that he told you he wouldn’t come to Purdue?
Jeff Brohm sends his regards.
It’s clear that you have an anti-Painter agenda, and your argument for Smart leaving Texas because Brohm stayed at Purdue is ridiculous. Our football coach chose to stay at Purdue, so that means we can steal a basketball coach from the second richest athletic department in the country?

Reactions: mathboy
It’s clear that you have an anti-Painter agenda, and your argument for Smart leaving Texas because Brohm stayed at Purdue is ridiculous. Our football coach chose to stay at Purdue, so that means we can steal a basketball coach from the second richest athletic department in the country?

Again, how do you know why or why not Shaka would leave? Did you talk to him? Did he say it’s only about the money?
Maybe he doesn’t like taking a back seat to football? Maybe he doesn’t like coaching in a 1/2 empty home stadium. Maybe he doesn’t like that the only 200 students show up to cheer for their team?
I agree, money is a HUGE factor, but other things can come into the equation that we don’t know about.

Again, how do you know why or why not Shaka would leave? Did you talk to him? Did he say it’s only about the money?
Maybe he doesn’t like taking a back seat to football? Maybe he doesn’t like coaching in a 1/2 empty home stadium. Maybe he doesn’t like that the only 200 students show up to cheer for their team?
I agree, money is a HUGE factor, but other things can come into the equation that we don’t know about.
Regardless of if he would or would not come to Purdue, in order to (ethically) have that conversation, you’d have to fire Painter simply in the hopes that Smart would take the job. In my opinion Smart is nowhere even close to good enough to fire a reasonably successful coach just to take a chance he agrees to leave Texas.

Anything else is just speculation, which I generally try to avoid but have clearly failed in this instance.

Regardless of if he would or would not come to Purdue, in order to (ethically) have that conversation, you’d have to fire Painter simply in the hopes that Smart would take the job. In my opinion Smart is nowhere even close to good enough to fire a reasonably successful coach just to take a chance he agrees to leave Texas.

Anything else is just speculation, which I generally try to avoid but have clearly failed in this instance.

Ha ha. Everything we do on this board is either speculation or bitching. Take your pick.

Ha ha. Everything we do on this board is either speculation or bitching. Take your pick.
I'm sure if we wait a couple years, Smart will be unemployed and very interested in the Purdue job. Just be patient. After a couple more seasons like he has had, Texas will run him out of town.

I'm just responding to the previous poster who said Smart was overrated. I don't believe he is any better or worse than Painter based on the numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT