ADVERTISEMENT

Newman

It helped that those players went to lower-echelon programs and got to play more.
Wheeler played at St Johns which I believe is in the Big East which just won its 10th national Championship since 1999 and its 4th since 2013.

How many B1G teams have one it since 1990?

Hint: Its more than 0 but less than 2.

Reactions: Woodsa
What does that have to do with St Johns?
Wheeler started 16 games, averaged 10 points and 38,5% from three against better competition that's all. He was better at St Johns and not just because he was playing weaker teams.

Not surprising, but disappointing. I have been a fairly outspoken supporter (and defender when necessary) of Brandon, particularly this last season. He always struck me as a 100% Purdue guy, willing to put in the work. There was a tweet early in his career, maybe freshman year, where somebody had walked by the practice facility late after a game and he was getting shots up still in uniform. We have seen flashes of what might have been. I do think, in some ways, he was mismanaged by the coaches and could have been much more useful both last year and this year were it not for that. Someone else mentioned guys playing tight, and I think he’s a great example. He was nothing but class and a great teammate while sitting behind Sasha, IT, and Morton (who I personally believe he might have had the highest ceiling of them all, but we’ll never know now). In any event, I wish him nothing but the best wherever he lands. I hope he goes to ND with Shrews and finishes out his career on a high note. It’s a shame, he deserved a senior day in Mackey.
100% agree with your sentiments. You saved me all that time writing it myself! Lol! Wish Brandon nothing but success in his future endeavors!

Was thinking the same. I think he could thrive at ND under Shrews/in a more modern offense.
Weird comment. Weak stuff. Shrews runs the same offense Painter does. In fact, Shrews helped design it. He just didn’t have the personnel Painter had. Hope this isn’t an indicator of your knowledge of the game and of the Purdue program.

Wheeler started 16 games, averaged 10 points and 38,5% from three against better competition that's all. He was better at St Johns and not just because he was playing weaker teams.

Because a single team was good enough to win the NCAAT, the entirety of the conference is better than the B1G?

Wheeler played at St Johns which I believe is in the Big East which just won its 10th national Championship since 1999 and its 4th since 2013.

How many B1G teams have one it since 1990?

Hint: Its more than 0 but less than 2.
That proves St. Johns was a good team?! Whay kind of logic is that?

Weird comment. Weak stuff. Shrews runs the same offense Painter does. In fact, Shrews helped design it. He just didn’t have the personnel Painter had. Hope this isn’t an indicator of your knowledge of the game and of the Purdue program.
You’re entitled to your opinion.

Painter recruited the personnel. He purposely recruits back to the basket, more “traditional” big men like Haas, Hammons, and Edey. Almost no other school does that. There’s a reason Purdue has the “Big Man U” moniker. Penn State certainly doesn’t.

Therefore, it’s really not the “same” system at all. Your system is only as good as your personnel.

This year’s Purdue and Penn State teams were vastly different systems with vastly different personnel and playing styles.

Be well, friend.

Reactions: mathboy
Although it's probably in the best interests of all, it is saddening that Brandon Newman is leaving.

He persevered, constantly working to improve. He always supported his teammates regardless of his own struggles and inconsistent playing time, and the perception of a double standard in relation to people like Morton.

In short, Newman could have caused a lot of problems, but he stayed with it for as long as he could, and was a terrific teammate.

As was mentioned earlier, Newman totally deserved his senior day honors and a final standing ovation from a full crowd at Mackey.

Well, I am standing now for Brandon Newman, Boilermaker.

Painter recruited the personnel. He purposely recruits back to the basket, more “traditional” big men like Haas, Hammons, and Edey. Almost no other school does that. There’s a reason Purdue has the “Big Man U” moniker. Penn State certainly doesn’t.

Therefore, it’s really not the “same” system at all. Your system is only as good as your personnel.

This year’s Purdue and Penn State teams were vastly different systems with vastly different personnel and playing styles.

Be well, friend.
I do agree, to a point. He(Micah) didn't establish himself with 'his' guys. I do believe the systems are set to the personnel you recruit, but Painter does allow some freedoms like CE and Ivey both had. It's that type of personnel we didn't have on this team. We need guys that can run the point and also be a CG at the same time. Multiple players that can create and score from multiple positions and that's where Painter's personal lacked.

I believe both of their set/styles aren't far off.... personnel is where you were right.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerDeac
Obviously, Newman shoulders some of the blame, but when you play basketball and constantly are made to feel like you could get yanked at any moment, you end up playing tight and making mistakes.

Too often, players for Painter play tight. That's on the coach. The fact that some can't see this just baffles me.

Look how Aaron Wheeler and Kendall Stephens improved after leaving Purdue.
same can be said for Keady

I think he should move on. Purdue needs a combo guard while loaded at the 3. Both Heide and Colvin will earn playing time. I expect he will go home which is Valparaiso. Wishing him all the best!
Morton should move on too, what thinks 52? he's been given enough time

Reactions: Lionheart1
Do we think Paint suggested Newman move on or was it Brandon's thinking?
I think the writing was on the wall.

Newman: 1-4, 2 points in 15 minutes
Morton: 0-2, 0 points in 17 minutes
Jenkins: 0-3, 0 in 26 minutes....yikes.

After looking Loyer wasn't horrible on offense 4-10, 3-8 from 3, 13 points in 28 minutes.

Be well, friend.

Morton should move on too, what thinks 52? he's been given enough time
Definitely not we need a defensive stopper. Jack Benter won't be here until 2024. IMO Morton could play for almost any high major. Kid does so much which doesn't show up in the box score. No way we would have been ranked #1 without Morton helping the freshman. I rank Morton as our 2nd best player behind Zach. I love defense.

Definitely not we need a defensive stopper. Jack Benter won't be here until 2024. IMO Morton could play for almost any high major. Kid does so much which doesn't show up in the box score. No way we would have been ranked #1 without Morton helping the freshman. I rank Morton as our 2nd best player behind Zach. I love defense.
I like Morton too but you can't have just a black hole out there on offense. His, Loyer's and basically the whole teams inability to hit a wide open jumper in March cost us big time in the tournament. He's a guy you can win with but he's certainly not a guy you win because of. If he stays, i'm not upset. If he goes, im not upset either.

He also had a 2-3 weeks where he was awful on defense...so the defense is not irrefutable with him either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT