ADVERTISEMENT

Scholarship limits 2021, 2022, 2023...

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
We know that every player who wants one will be granted an extra year of eligibility based on an NCAA vote on 8/21. And it appears those players will be exempt from the 85 scholarship limit. So, if a team has 20 scholarship seniors this year, next year that team could, in theory, have 105 scholarship players.

So many messy details in regards to recruiting:
- Is the 'temporary' scholarship limit a hard set number or variable for each team based on # of seniors? Does the exemption run through the next several classes? It's hard to imagine all schools being on board with that, especially when you extend this into non-revenue sports
- What will be the recruiting impacts of schools that decide they can't take on an extra 10, 15, or 20 scholarships? Is Purdue in position for this?
- Will grad transfers be allowed in 2021 and do they count against the 85 limit or the 'exempted senior' list? In other words, if you recruit a senior from another team, does his exemption follow him to your team, does it remain with his original team, or does it vanish? Similarly, what if a player transfers away from your team- do you lose that exemption? Or can it be filled by another exempted player only (as opposed to a HS recruit)?
- If we see this play out with rosters in the ~100 scholarship player range in 2021, what will be the scholarship limits for 2022? Will it be dropped down to 85 immediately or stepped down over a few years? If you drop down to 85 immediately you could have an extremely small 2022 recruiting class nationally. But maybe an opportunity to pick up some real gems in the 2022 class if you know that and plan accordingly.

Maybe this is a least in part the reason we are not seeing many recent additions to the 2021 class. I don't think a lot of these details have been figured out yet, and coaches need to know how to plan their recruiting classes for the next few years. At a minimum, you want to ensure you have at least 15 or so open scholarships for 2022, whatever the limit is. If that means a small 2021 class, then so be it. Based on the quality of the class so far, maybe it is better to 'bank' some scholarships for 2022.

Unfortunately, any way this goes I see a lot of transfers in the near future (for all teams), both voluntary and 'less voluntary' in order to get these rosters back to size and at the same time make room for new recruits. For those who don't like the less desirable parts of high stakes D1 college sports, turn your heads.

Last edited:
Per some of my buddies that are coaching at Power 5 schools - the NCAA wants teams back to the normal 85 by Jan 2022. This obviously has pretty big implications for a number of reasons - can probably only take around 15 in 2022, but Purdue might get a few kids that would normally go to Michigan, Ohio State, etc. because of the scholly limit

Per some of my buddies that are coaching at Power 5 schools - the NCAA wants teams back to the normal 85 by Jan 2022. This obviously has pretty big implications for a number of reasons - can probably only take around 15 in 2022, but Purdue might get a few kids that would normally go to Michigan, Ohio State, etc. because of the scholly limit
Jan 2022.. Wow, that's coming fast. So teams will be pulling schollies at the end of the semester. I don't imagine too many of those seniors will be playing in a January bowl game. And I bet that will discourage a % of players from coming back for that bonus season to begin with if they can't get the entire year of schooling paid for. There would indeed be a ton of small recruiting classes in 2022 if schools have to shrink roster size so immediately. If I were Brohm I'd switch my recruiting focus to that 2022 class at this point and get in good with top prospects.

Side note - In terms of fairness, it seems this attempt to give current players an extra year has the unintended consequence of smashing the D1 chances of some prospects in the 2022 class.

Jan 2022.. Wow, that's coming fast. So teams will be pulling schollies at the end of the semester. I don't imagine too many of those seniors will be playing in a January bowl game. And I bet that will discourage a % of players from coming back for that bonus season to begin with if they can't get the entire year of schooling paid for. There would indeed be a ton of small recruiting classes in 2022 if schools have to shrink roster size so immediately. If I were Brohm I'd switch my recruiting focus to that 2022 class at this point and get in good with top prospects.

Side note - In terms of fairness, it seems this attempt to give current players an extra year has the unintended consequence of smashing the D1 chances of some prospects in the 2022 class.

It's the right move, but a mess to sort out. Obviously people can change their minds at any time, and transferring will happen a lot especially considering a number of schools will not likely offer the extra scholarships.

Keep in mind schools do not have to honor the 5th year - it's a big extra expense and has ramifications for multiple years. The extra year of eligibility is for the athlete themselves, not binding to the school. A number of schools declined it for spring athletes last year. Not sure if a school can pick and choose what sports they honor a 5th year for or not.

This is an interesting article that covers some of the questions: https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/20/ncaa-extra-year-eligibility-difficulties-inflated-rosters

It's the right move, but a mess to sort out. Obviously people can change their minds at any time, and transferring will happen a lot especially considering a number of schools will not likely offer the extra scholarships.

Keep in mind schools do not have to honor the 5th year - it's a big extra expense and has ramifications for multiple years. The extra year of eligibility is for the athlete themselves, not binding to the school. A number of schools declined it for spring athletes last year. Not sure if a school can pick and choose what sports they honor a 5th year for or not.

This is an interesting article that covers some of the questions: https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/20/ncaa-extra-year-eligibility-difficulties-inflated-rosters
I am trying to square that with other things I have read about the school’s obligation to provide a scholarship for the extra year.
www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29712267/ncaa-votes-give-extra-year-eligibility-division-fall-athletes%3fplatform=amp

“Schools are also prohibited from canceling or reducing scholarships if an athlete decides not to participate because of COVID-19.“

So maybe the extra year is only guaranteed if the player opts out. But now what if the entire conference season is cancelled on account of COVID?

I am trying to square that with other things I have read about the school’s obligation to provide a scholarship for the extra year.
www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29712267/ncaa-votes-give-extra-year-eligibility-division-fall-athletes%3fplatform=amp

“Schools are also prohibited from canceling or reducing scholarships if an athlete decides not to participate because of COVID-19.“

So maybe the extra year is only guaranteed if the player opts out. But now what if the entire conference season is cancelled on account of COVID?

I don't know the details - but I'd imagine you have to file some sort of paperwork about basically "withdrawing" from the year - it's like taking a gap year and I don't think they can participate in workouts, conditioning, practice, etc. (which is obviously still taking place).

What you quoted I believe just applies to the following year. i.e. If I decide not to participate this year as a sophomore, they can't cancel my scholarship the following year because I left the team for a year. So it's guaranteed to be there when you return. But it doesn't necessarily guarantee it extends through when the person exhausts eligibility (i.e. sophomore through senior year).

But if someone goes through the year, participates in all team activity, and for some reason the season doesn't happen - they still have another year of eligibility, but a school is not required to accept it.

There's obviously still some gray area....

Reactions: FirstDownB

AUGUST 2022****

Reactions: FirstDownB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT