ADVERTISEMENT

Rob Dauster with a very good take on the Nojel situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty well aligns with my thoughts so of course it is a good take.

Why so many concerned about why my son did what he did. This man don’t no nothing either just more fuel to his fire to show who he is. Be fooled by stats if you like I’m not I stand on what my son can do. Unreal how so many going out of there way to put my son down good stuff GOD got my son thats a fact

Alot of good points. Again, I don't see this as anything BUT a positive experience unless he stays in. He's going to get great constructive criticism from guys who know basketball. He's poised to make a huge jump and be a real impact player next year. Can't wait.

Reactions: neckster87
Why so many concerned about why my son did what he did. This man don’t no nothing either just more fuel to his fire to show who he is. Be fooled by stats if you like I’m not I stand on what my son can do. Unreal how so many going out of there way to put my son down good stuff GOD got my son thats a fact
I think you are being overly sensitive. He's giving an opinion, which is what he is paid to do. But the vast majority of the article is about the process, not the person.

I just read it again and still can't find where he put your son down.

I agree with Nojel's mom, not sure why everyone is so concerned that the kid declared for the draft without a agent, last I checked, one could do whatever they desire in this country. Eastern has a great future at Purdue, if he wants NBA opinions so be it, in reality Haarms should declare as well.

Reactions: Inspector100
I agree with Nojel's mom, not sure why everyone is so concerned that the kid declared for the draft without a agent, last I checked, one could do whatever they desire in this country. Eastern has a great future at Purdue, if he wants NBA opinions so be it, in reality Haarms should declare as well.
Well, we are concerned because we are Purdue fans and he figures heavily into next season's success if he returns.

The national media is concerned because they are paid to drive clicks and Nojel's situation being different than most who have declared is newsworthy in their eyes.

It's only a mistake if he doesn't come back to school, IMO.

I think your son is a great player who is only scratching the surface of what he can accomplish. That said, there are holes in his game and the place he's going to get the best chance to correct those are right where he's at. Sure, last year he was underutilized. He was also an 18/19 year old kid on a team full of guys who had played almost 4 years of basketball together. He was never going to be the main scoring option last year....nor should he have been.

Next year, he should shoot more....next year he should drive more and show off the strenghts of his game. I think Painter's offense is perfect for him. He gets multiple touches on the offensive end at different places on the court to make plays for himself and teammates.

My worry is that your son hears 1, "Oh you might get drafted" takes that to heart then stays in the draft....then doesn't and throws away what IMO is his best chance to develop. He's staring down 30+ minutes of playing time next year. Where else is he going to get that much opportunity to play and get better? That's why the move to enter the draft was such a head scratcher to me.

Reactions: Purdue11
Another thing to consider. Coach Painter isn't always chasing a shiny new penny as a coach. Vince, Dakota, PJ, Isaac, and Carsen earned their playing time through hard work. Had CMP just tossed one of them aside for a bad game or two, that would have been ignoring their loyalty and work. The upshot, of course, is a lack of playing time for the newer players (like Nojel).

Well...now the shoe is on the other foot. Something tells me that as long as Nojel works hard and is here next year, he'll get plenty of burn and opportunities to show what he can do.

I guess my point is it's easy to be irritated when you're a freshman because you want it now, but the very thing that irritated you is the very thing you really appreciate later on when you're not a freshman. Just as last year's seniors (and Carsen) earned CMP's trust and learned how to be what they became, so too is Nojel earning CMP's trust and becoming what he can become.

*For the antithesis of CMP, please Google Rick Pitino and Rodrick Rhodes. I, for one, would not want to be part of a program that jettisons its upperclassmen just to placate its new players. What is done to others can always be done to you, both good and bad.

Last edited:

I think your son is a great player who is only scratching the surface of what he can accomplish. That said, there are holes in his game and the place he's going to get the best chance to correct those are right where he's at. Sure, last year he was underutilized. He was also an 18/19 year old kid on a team full of guys who had played almost 4 years of basketball together. He was never going to be the main scoring option last year....nor should he have been.

Next year, he should shoot more....next year he should drive more and show off the strenghts of his game. I think Painter's offense is perfect for him. He gets multiple touches on the offensive end at different places on the court to make plays for himself and teammates.

My worry is that your son hears 1, "Oh you might get drafted" takes that to heart then stays in the draft....then doesn't and throws away what IMO is his best chance to develop. He's staring down 30+ minutes of playing time next year. Where else is he going to get that much opportunity to play and get better? That's why the move to enter the draft was such a head scratcher to me.

Not gonna lie, I'm less worried about NBA/college people putting "you might get drafted" in his head than other influential people in his life...

I have enjoyed reading/watching Nojel's interviews and he seems like a great, humble kid. He's got a lot of potential and will be a great player if he has time to develop.

The biggest issue that I see with Treed's comments are that she constantly points out what Nojel can do (because he hasn't yet) or that we're being fooled by stats. At some point, you have to DO something and potential is no longer a viable excuse. Even in the NBA, "per 40" stats are used as a measure of potential.

I think Nojel does have it in him and will come back and average 25-30 minutes and prove why this (testing the NBA waters w/out agent) wasn't a stupid decision. @Treed1967 , let your son's game do the talking and you'll reap the rewards later.

Can someone enlighten me on how the G-League works? I know they have their draft in Oct. If NE were to state his intention to enter the G-League draft, could he still come back to school? I think I read somewhere about that 5* Bazely kid from Cincinnati that committed to Syracuse and then de-commited and told Boeheim that he would elect to play in next falls G-League instead. Based on what I read, I believe he could make more $$ working at McDonalds but I also am aware of a handful of guys that have reached the NBA by that avenue.

Last edited:
I think you are being overly sensitive. He's giving an opinion, which is what he is paid to do. But the vast majority of the article is about the process, not the person.

I just read it again and still can't find where he put your son down.
It’s an OPINION period not facts ait

perhaps if you can only do it twice...Haarms thinks it is best for him to do after his soph and junior years? Each perosn can roll the dice with whatever they think is best for them

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
It's the off-season so nothing is going on. Plus on a forum that is here for the very purpose of expressing opinions. And that means exoressing opinions we don't agree with.

It sure seems that some get bent out of shape easily when NE is brought up. To an uncalled for degree in my opinion. Everyone has a right to post their opinion... Or beer recipes :)

Reactions: Emartin70287
Well heck! Might as well close down all message boards.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
It's the off-season so nothing is going on. Plus on a forum that is here for the very purpose of expressing opinions. And that means exoressing opinions we don't agree with.

It sure seems that some get bent out of shape easily when NE is brought up. To an uncalled for degree in my opinion. Everyone has a right to post their opinion... Or beer recipes :)

Beer recipes (or recommendations) would be a welcome change. But as long as parents of players are on this board, the conversation is going to revolve around the defense of those players unless we literally NEVER mention their name. (At which point the parents will get angry that we don't value the players enough to have an appreciation post)

Sir who don’t have holes in their game really don’t just single him out. He played 6 to 8 min a game what the hell could he do or show in those amount of min. I no my son I no his game I no the amount of hours he works on his game i no his work ethic and I certainly no if he wasn’t ready I would have told him to wait but he is and whatever feedback we get it’s his decision to do what’s best for him period. I’m not concerned about next season it’s all about now. He has game that nobody got to see. If he had of played 25/30 min a game he could of showed his talents. He has a jump shot but wasn’t involved in the offense to shoot It why many think he can’t shoot. Perception can fool you and don’t be fooled by what others think they no. My son don’t need an approval from no fans who think they no what’s best for him all he needs is believe in himself which he does we gone roll with that. You play 6/8 min or less you tell me what your confidence in your game would look like not so good. We got this he gonna be just fine carry on.

Another thing to consider. Coach Painter isn't always chasing a shiny new penny as a coach. Vince, Dakota, PJ, Isaac, and Carsen earned their playing time through hard work. Had CMP just tossed one of them aside for a bad game or two, that would have been ignoring their loyalty and work. The upshot, of course, is a lack of playing time for the newer players (like Nojel).

Well...now the shoe is on the other foot. Something tells me that as long as Nojel works hard and is here next year, he'll get plenty of burn and opportunities to show what he can do.

I guess my point is it's easy to be irritated when you're a freshman because you want it now, but the very thing that irritated you is the very thing you really appreciate later on when you're not a freshman. Just as last year's seniors (and Carsen) earned CMP's trust and learned how to be what they became, so too is Nojel earning CMP's trust and becoming what he can become.

*For the antithesis of CMP, please Google Rick Pitino and Rodrick Rhodes. I, for one, would not want to be part of a program that jettisons its upperclassmen just to placate its new players. What is done to others can always be done to you, both good and bad.

Agree. Wholeheartedly.

Nojel didn't do enough early in the year to snatch playing time away from PJ. PJ was shooting 50%+ from 3 and had an astronomical ATO ratio.

Now, it was a different story when PJ was struggling at the end of the year and Nojel had adjusted to the new pace he was playing in.

I don't think Nojel got near enough the platform last year to show his skills. That said, I think that he'll get all he can handle playing time wise next year and then we will really see what he can do and what type of player he is. If he stays in the draft....he got some bad advice.

Sir who don’t have holes in their game really don’t just single him out. He played 6 to 8 min a game what the hell could he do or show in those amount of min. I no my son I no his game I no the amount of hours he works on his game i no his work ethic and I certainly no if he wasn’t ready I would have told him to wait but he is and whatever feedback we get it’s his decision to do what’s best for him period. I’m not concerned about next season it’s all about now. He has game that nobody got to see. If he had of played 25/30 min a game he could of showed his talents. He has a jump shot but wasn’t involved in the offense to shoot It why many think he can’t shoot. Perception can fool you and don’t be fooled by what others think they no. My son don’t need an approval from no fans who think they no what’s best for him all he needs is believe in himself which he does we gone roll with that. You play 6/8 min or less you tell me what your confidence in your game would look like not so good. We got this he gonna be just fine carry on.

So he's gone?

Damn.

I recommend using water, yeast, malt and hops when making beer. As far as hop varieties, I'm partial to Simcoe, Citra and Mosaic. Galaxy is a nice hop varietal as well.

Reactions: BBG
Not gonna lie, I'm less worried about NBA/college people putting "you might get drafted" in his head than other influential people in his life...

I have enjoyed reading/watching Nojel's interviews and he seems like a great, humble kid. He's got a lot of potential and will be a great player if he has time to develop.

The biggest issue that I see with Treed's comments are that she constantly points out what Nojel can do (because he hasn't yet) or that we're being fooled by stats. At some point, you have to DO something and potential is no longer a viable excuse. Even in the NBA, "per 40" stats are used as a measure of potential.

I think Nojel does have it in him and will come back and average 25-30 minutes and prove why this (testing the NBA waters w/out agent) wasn't a stupid decision. @Treed1967 , let your son's game do the talking and you'll reap the rewards later.
It will I’m not worried sir

Beer recipes (or recommendations) would be a welcome change. But as long as parents of players are on this board, the conversation is going to revolve around the defense of those players unless we literally NEVER mention their name. (At which point the parents will get angry that we don't value the players enough to have an appreciation post)
You have an opinion I have opinion so there you go

Reactions: wolf42pb
Agree. Wholeheartedly.

Nojel didn't do enough early in the year to snatch playing time away from PJ. PJ was shooting 50%+ from 3 and had an astronomical ATO ratio.

Now, it was a different story when PJ was struggling at the end of the year and Nojel had adjusted to the new pace he was playing in.

I don't think Nojel got near enough the platform last year to show his skills. That said, I think that he'll get all he can handle playing time wise next year and then we will really see what he can do and what type of player he is. If he stays in the draft....he got some bad advice.
Won’t be bad advice it’s his choice to do what’s best for HIM period

You have an opinion I have opinion so there you go

Won’t be bad advice it’s his choice to do what’s best for HIM period

If you and he are really that confident about his game and his decisions, then reading and posting on this board is POINTLESS and will just cause you stress. Stop. Just stop.

When he gets his feedback from the NBA scouts, I'd love to hear what their unfiltered opinions about his game are. Since you won't even accept the compliments that we try to offer him on this board, I'd love to see what you have to say about their feedback.

You clearly can't tell that many of us have your son's best in mind as well - many of us have met him and support him as John Purdue Club members (ask him about that). He's part of a very real family and a lot of us would bend over backwards to help him succeed.

He only played 8 mins a game because a senior guard was Better than him that played in front of him. For the life of me I can’t understand what expectations you had for Nojel this year when all 5 starters were known before he signed to play with Purdue. You are doing nothing but making Nojel look soft and coddled.

How hard is it to home brew? Do I need to invest in equipment or will standard kitchen pots and pans work?

I assume there are lots of DIY forums and sites abound to learn.

Reactions: overthetop16
So he's gone?

Damn.
Why are worried what he gonna do with his life I didn’t ask you or tell you what’s best for you or tell you what you should do or shouldn’t do. I’m not hiding behind a screen name on a message board saying things about an 18 year who made a decision to go after his dreams but you insist he not good enough WOW this is AMERICA people

Why are worried what he gonna do with his life I didn’t ask you or tell you what’s best for you or tell you what you should do or shouldn’t do. I’m not hiding behind a screen name on a message board saying things about an 18 year who made a decision to go after his dreams but you insist he not good enough WOW this is AMERICA people
You're doing your son a great disservice posting on this board and voicing your loud opinion on Twitter. If you want what's best for your son, you should probably not post here or on Twitter about him. You're embarrassing him.

Treed-please don't feel the need to come on here and defend Nojel every time his name comes up. The fanbase loves him; bottom line. This is a common place to discuss the highs and lows essentially for fans that most never experienced competing at high level. My concern is this board will leave an unnecessary bad taste in your mouth as you feel to respond to every Nojel comment.

He only played 8 mins a game because a senior guard was Better than him that played in front of him. For the life of me I can’t understand what expectations you had for Nojel this year when all 5 starters were known before he signed to play with Purdue. You are doing nothing but making Nojel look soft and coddled.
Naw he not soft or coddled and I need not explain to you nothing. Spare me the tough talk dude

Just some friendly advice.. Don't overplay the "can't be productive in limited playing time" card around the NBA folks. Unless you are the next LeBron or Jordan, a GM is going to want a young player to contribute in whatever minutes he is given.

Reactions: Purdue11

Do you even realize that maybe we'd be sad to see him go? Is it completely crazy that a "stranger" could care about your son? I feel so sorry for any future girlfriend or wife that he may have.

You're doing your son a great disservice posting on this board and voicing your loud opinion on Twitter. If you want what's best for your son, you should probably not post here or on Twitter about him. You're embarrassing him.

THIS.

But you can and I can’t America folks want me to shut up bcuz I have a voice an opinion stop it it’s called free speech

But you can and I can’t America folks want me to shut up bcuz I have a voice an opinion stop it it’s called free speech

We are literally his FANS and SUPPORTERS. You're arguing with the people who actually LIKE your son. Please note that I used all caps, because you can't seem to understand that we WANT him to succeed.

If you want to argue with people, go on an Indiana University discussion board.

Do you even realize that maybe we'd be sad to see him go? Is it completely crazy that a "stranger" could care about your son? I feel so sorry for any future girlfriend or wife that he may have.

THIS.
Do you no my son sir I’ve known him for 18 years he gonna be alright I can assure you that and he gonna make a woman very happy too.

You can, but why though? What is the point of doing this? Is this helping your son in any way? No. In fact, you just put a huge target on his back.

Do you see any other Purdue basketball parents on this board? No. I wonder why?

We are literally his FANS and SUPPORTERS. You're arguing with the people who actually LIKE your son. Please note that I used all caps, because you can't seem to understand that we WANT him to succeed.

If you want to argue with people, go on an Indiana University discussion board.
And you don’t think I want my son to succeed are serious I’m not arguing I’m giving my opinion. I no my son better than any of you and as a mother who give birth to a child you have no clue as a MAN what a mothers bond is with their child. Don’t insult me sir I think I no him well and knows what’s best for him

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT