ADVERTISEMENT

Foul Discrepancy

Jbigler1986

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 16, 2015
If people actually watched Purdue games they would realize teams don't drive the ball to the basket. They take jump shots and floaters. Of course there is going to be a huge difference in fouls when they aren't putting themselves in position to get fouled. I think it was Jeff Goodman who pointed this out last night. So many fans are just not smart.

If people actually watched Purdue games they would realize teams don't drive the ball to the basket. They take jump shots and floaters. Of course there is going to be a huge difference in fouls when they aren't putting themselves in position to get fouled. I think it was Jeff Goodman who pointed this out last night. So many fans are just not smart.
It’s the same thing that happened with NW at Mackey.

UT was called for 30 fouls in Maui and gave us 48 FTs

UT called for 25 fouls yesterday and gave us 33 FTs

Did not have the same refs in those games, so maybe JUST MAYBE, UT is super aggressive and get away with a lot and put pressure on The refs to call fouls…and then get mad/shocked they call them!

We all know Purdue doesn’t foul much and Zach is good at not fouling as well—which other fans can’t understand how a guy his size doesn’t foul.

It’s done from “wait until they don’t have B1G refs (not a thing)” and “they won’t get the same whistle” to “the refs are protecting edey all year”…ahhh yes a nationwide conspiracy for 4 years to protect a kid who was the 436th recruit in the nation. 😂

No thinking required. People who draw conclusions from the box scores alone can be maddening, because they tend not to budge from their stand.

It's pretty simple. Fans mostly notice the calls that go against them. Zach touches the ball a ton, so the refs have to make a ton of decisions around him. Some calls go his way. Some don't. There are just so many plays with him that it feels like the refs miss more. In reality they are doing as well with him as anyone else. It's just more noticeable due to volume.

Reactions: tjreese
I distinctly remember one play where we fouled Knecht and it didn't get called. And one where he got a call on a drive where it looked like little to no contact. It happens with guys who touch the ball a lot.

I distinctly remember one play where we fouled Knecht and it didn't get called. And one where he got a call on a drive where it looked like little to no contact. It happens with guys who touch the ball a lot.
Agreed. Knecht did get some phantom calls, but for the most part, the calls were good. If he drove to the basket more, he would get even more calls. Shooting from outside doesn't draw contact, so the ref doesn't have to anticipate contact or make a decision whether there was contact.

I went back and looked at our free throws. After Lance Jones hit the 3 to put us up 6 with a couple minutes left, we were fouled 5 times and shot ten free throws as Tennessee was fouling intentionally to extend the game. When analyzing the "discrepancy" it seems to me those should be backed off. That's where almost 1/3 of our free throws came from too.

I went back and looked at our free throws. After Lance Jones hit the 3 to put us up 6 with a couple minutes left, we were fouled 5 times and shot ten free throws as Tennessee was fouling intentionally to extend the game. When analyzing the "discrepancy" it seems to me those should be backed off. That's where almost 1/3 of our free throws came from too.
Very good point that gets overlooked in a lot of games.

I predicted it would be just like the first game. No one believed me. Barnes knows when he is outmatched and he reacts the same way. Physicality. Zach wins.

Reactions: tjreese
There was more than once where Zach was between a TN player and the basket. The TN player literally had both arms wrapped around Zach's waist almost like trying to hold him down.......no calls on them.

Could you imagine what it would look like if the cylinder rule was being called?

Finally, mini rant, I am so over announcers and others claiming a foul shouldn't be called because the fouling player really didn't gain an advantage.

There was more than once where Zach was between a TN player and the basket. The TN player literally had both arms wrapped around Zach's waist almost like trying to hold him down.......no calls on them.

Could you imagine what it would look like if the cylinder rule was being called?

Finally, mini rant, I am so over announcers and others claiming a foul shouldn't be called because the fouling player really didn't gain an advantage.
They can complain about fouls all they want, but only 1 out of 4 usually gets called.. when you don't drive the lane and settle for outside shots...... you won't get fouls called.

Saturday will be different with DJ for sure.

Reactions: tjreese and punaj
Purdue's most FTAs against P5 level schools this season:

1) Tennessee (Maui)
2) Northwestern (Home)
3) Northwestern (Away)
T-4) Tennessee (E8)
T-6 Fewest FTA: Gonzaga (Maui)
T-Fewest FTA: Gonzaga (S16)

In Maui & in the regional, it was the same venue and back-to-back games against Gonzaga & then Tennessee. The FTA trend for Purdue was exactly the same. It's almost as if Barnes & Collins have a strategy of being physical and daring the refs to make all of the calls while Few tries to give up as few points from the FT line as possible.

This is exactly what I pointed out to my wife after the announcers started talking about the 10-0 foul ratio. I immediately pointed out multiple fouls on a single possession that were not called. The refs do not want to blow their whistles on every single possession and Tennessee was daring them to do it.

I wish that lack of understanding an issue before holding an opinion was only found in sports.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
1 foul in 40 minutes. Bahahahaha what a gd joke.
Some teams are stressed to not foul. You don’t read about those teams turning people over. I don’t think Purdue has had any or very few players foul out. They don’t play that kind of D and for the most part Zach doesn’t even guard someone or you would have seen more blocks like the one time he tried. Still, the best defense is for refs to take him out of a game and why opposing coaches complain to the refs

I remember watching one play where Tennessee literally had their arms wrapped around Edey and it wasn't called. Might have been on an inbounds.
GKHd5FZXkAAvral

The Indinia fans are sobbing about this. So funny to see little brother complain about something they know nothing about, all while trying to buy a team of players who care only about getting paid. IU really does suck!

And that is true for many other opinions than those relating to silly sports.
Years ago it "seemed" that if a person didn't have a background in an area they were interested in the thoughts of those that had a more informed opinion. Today it appears there are many where lack of relevant information through study...experience... whatever... does not appear to make any hesitant in expressing his or her desires. Perhaps it is a by product of the net? Perhaps the move from a sage on the stage in education to the guide on the side in schools has embolden that scenario? As you say...it isn't just in sports

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT