ADVERTISEMENT

RIP to RPI

I believe this was Dryfly's reaction upon getting the news.....

giphy.gif

I've typically been a proponent of the RPI over the years, but only for what it was - a tool to be used with all of the other info. It's not, and never was, the end-all-be-all like some critics have thought over the years. I've been following it for years, almost as long as when Jerry Palm started his tracking sites in the mid-90s.

Where I started to get disenchanted with the RPI is when they started tweaking it, which seemed to be results-oriented. They wanted the data to spit out in a certain way, so they changed the formula specifically for that purpose.

AFAIK, we're not going to know how the new formula - NET - is going to be calculated. That may be a good thing. I'd rather teams have a base knowledge that they need to schedule better, more road games, etc, etc, as opposed to micromanaging their schedule to the point that they blame the formula for not making the tournament. There will always be a handful of teams that don't make the tournament and the same people will continue to whine about it no matter what the rules are. And the answer will still be the same: win more games!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT