ADVERTISEMENT

CMP Salary Increases? Should Be a Final 4 Bonus...

And as I’ve been telling you, the PG in Painter’s system is more of a SG. We don’t need a ball dominant PG in this system. It wouldn’t work.
I thought that was the "magic of the system" that you waxed poetically about earlier...that it could/would easily be adapted to the personnel.

I thought that was the "magic of the system" that you waxed poetically about earlier...that it could/would easily be adapted to the personnel.
He does adapt it to his personnel. He doesn’t recruit players that won’t fit into his system.

I would be much more happy if there was not yet another rebuilding year due to poor recruiting...poor roster composition...and really poor class balance.
How often do we have rebuilding years? Like once every 4 years? Sounds pretty normal to me.

Reactions: mathboy
How often do we have rebuilding years? Like once every 4 years? Sounds pretty normal to me.
Yeah, because those other top programs that you have at some times ignored and other times referenced do that...not.

It happens every 4 years because of the things I had pointed to...poor (consistent) recruiting...poor roster composition...and poor class balance. If those were not issues, there would not be rebuilding every 4 years...THAT IS THE POINT.

Yeah, because those other top programs that you have at some times ignored and other times referenced do that...not.

It happens every 4 years because of the things I had pointed to...poor (consistent) recruiting...poor roster composition...and poor class balance. If those were not issues, there would not be rebuilding every 4 years...THAT IS THE POINT.
Pretty much every program has rebuilding years in that same time frame unless they are the elite schools who can flip a roster with 4 or 5 elite recruits.

I was talking about skillset. I’ve clarified that in about 10 posts now.
Yes, then you went further and identified skills that EVERY coach alive that has/does/will coach basketball at any level or in any fashion would look for...in their PG...and, every other player on their team.

Pretty much every program has rebuilding years in that same time frame unless they are the elite schools who can flip a roster with 4 or 5 elite recruits.
Name one...just one...other great HC that had rebuilding years every 4 years during his coaching tenure.

For what it is worth, I will acknowledge (and absolutely give credit for) the fact that he has been able to do it multiple times with success, as, that is not easy to do...at all...but, at some point, that trend has to change or there will come a time where it can't be overcome...and, with NIL, that is even more so the case now.

Name one...just one...other great HC that had rebuilding years every 4 years during his coaching tenure.
Tom Izzo. Pretty consistently has 3 good years followed by a year where he finishes 4th or 5th. Finished 8th and 7th in the last two seasons as well.

For what it is worth, I will acknowledge (and absolutely give credit for) the fact that he has been able to do it multiple times with success, as, that is not easy to do...at all...but, at some point, that trend has to change or there will come a time where it can't be overcome...and, with NIL, that is even more so the case now.
Maybe it’s time you realize that Purdue isn’t a school that can be a championship contender each year. We will have teams with that capability every four years or so as we’ve seen under Painter and Keady.

Tom Izzo. Pretty consistently has 3 good years followed by a year where he finishes 4th or 5th. Finished 8th and 7th in the last two seasons as well.
Really? You want to stand on that point?

In a 23-year stretch, he finished outside of the top 4 three times, and, two of those times he finished 5th. From '08 to '20, he finished 1st six times...SIX...and, second three other times....not a single rebuilding year anywhere in that stretch, never mind 2 of them. He has NEVER finished in last place (Painter has twice), or, lower than 8th (Painter has 3 times).

Maybe it’s time you realize that Purdue isn’t a school that can be a championship contender each year. We will have teams with that capability every four years or so as we’ve seen under Painter and Keady.
Or...novel concept...somebody builds the program to the point that they CAN be a contender each year...precisely what pretty much everyone in this thread has been pointing at to you. Just because Keady did not do it does not mean that Painter can't, much less should not be able to...especially if he is as great a coach as you have proclaimed repeatedly.

Reactions: purduepat1969
40% on 3 attempts a game for a career isn’t a great shooter?
Do you really understand what you're saying? 3 attempts a game? Look, he hit wide open shots when they were available. He deserves credit for that. But that doesn't make him a "shooter". That's like saying Isaiah was a "shooter"...

Reactions: DAG10
Really? You want to stand on that point?

In a 23-year stretch, he finished outside of the top 4 three times, and, two of those times he finished 5th. From '08 to '20, he finished 1st six times...SIX...and, second three other times....not a single rebuilding year anywhere in that stretch, never mind 2 of them. He has NEVER finished in last place (Painter has twice), or, lower than 8th (Painter has 3 times).
4th and 5th in the Big Ten is a rebuilding year for MSU under Izzo. The point remains that every 4th year or so Izzo has a rebuilding year.

Painter has had completely different and successful results since changing his recruiting philosophy after the last place finish in 2014.

Or...novel concept...somebody builds the program to the point that they CAN be a contender each year...precisely what pretty much everyone in this thread has been pointing at to you. Just because Keady did not do it does not mean that Painter can't, much less should not be able to...especially if he is as great a coach as you have proclaimed repeatedly.
And as I’ve told each and every single one of you PHC members, it’s very unlikely that happens and that isn’t Painter’s or any other coach that comes after him fault. The only way we will get there is by consistently putting ourselves in position to make a deep run and eventually breaking through. Painter has done that better than just about anybody in the Big Ten. He will continue to do so moving forward, and I believe we will eventually break through.

He will not be changing his recruiting philosophy. He will not be implementing zone. He will continue to play through the post.

I don’t know why you all expect him to suddenly start doing things differently at this point. Especially since what he has been doing has been working very well (regardless if the PHC disagrees).

Do you really understand what you're saying? 3 attempts a game? Look, he hit wide open shots when they were available. He deserves credit for that. But that doesn't make him a "shooter". That's like saying Isaiah was a "shooter"...
Just so we know for future debate, how many attempts do you need per game and what percentage do you have to hit to be considered a shooter? Just trying to make sure we are all following your rules.

IT is a shooter.

4th and 5th in the Big Ten is a rebuilding year for MSU under Izzo. The point remains that every 4th year or so Izzo has a rebuilding year.

Painter has had completely different and successful results since changing his recruiting philosophy after the last place finish in 2014.
First...not the point, as, there is no such thing as MSU (or anyone else) having a different rebuilding year.

Second, not accurate either...from '97 to '05, he finished outside of 2nd a single time, and, from "08 to '16, the same.

And, not shockingly, the last point is not correct either...see 10th place finish just 3 short years ago (and, so that it is very clear...that was AFTER '14 (and some alleged change in recruiting philosophy that is a mere fallacy)...a last-place finish just 5 years before that). So in the last 8 years (greater than your 6-year window that you conveniently picked), a last-place finish and a 10th-place finish...that is not "rebuilding"...that is awful...and, that is awful without even including acknowledgment of losses in the first round of the NCAA tournament in 2 of those years to UALR and North Texas, or, losing to St. Peter's (the first team EVER in NCAA History to lose to a 15-seed in the Sweet 16).

Last edited:
First...not the point, as, there is no such thing as MSU (or anyone else) having a different rebuilding year.

Second, not accurate either...from '97 to '05, he finished outside of 2nd a single time, and, from "08 to '16, the same.

And, not shockingly, the last point is not correct either...see 10th place finish just 3 short years ago (and, so that it is very clear...that was AFTER '14 (and some alleged change in recruiting philosophy that is a mere fallacy)...a last-place finish just 5 years before that).
What is your definition of a rebuilding year? Duke had many teams that weren’t championship contenders under Coach K, and I guarantee those would be considered recruiting years to Duke fans. Same goes with MSU.

Are you stupid? The change in Painter’s recruiting philosophy is very apparent from his last place finish. Have you noticed that we don’t really get guys who bust anymore? We used to get those all the time.

What is your definition of a rebuilding year? Duke had many teams that weren’t championship contenders under Coach K, and I guarantee those would be considered recruiting years to Duke fans. Same goes with MSU.

Are you stupid? The change in Painter’s recruiting philosophy is very apparent from his last place finish. Have you noticed that we don’t really get guys who bust anymore? We used to get those all the time.
Again, name me one...just one...other GREAT coach that finished dead last in the conference in their 9th year at their school, and, 10th in their 15th year. Those are NOT rebuilding years...those are brutal...and, inexcusable barring some legitimate crazy circumstances...yet, at Purdue, it did not happen once, but twice.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
Again, name me one...just one...other GREAT coach that finished dead last in the conference in their 9th year at their school, and, 10th in their 15th year. Those are NOT rebuilding years...those are brutal...and, inexcusable barring some legitimate crazy circumstances...yet, at Purdue, it did not happen once, but twice.
Does it have to be specifically dead last in their 9th year and 10th in their 15th year?

Coach K finished 10th in his 31st year at Duke.

Boeheim finished 10th in his 42nd year at Syracuse.

Calipari finished 8th (in the SEC!!) in his 12th year at UK.

ROY WILLIAMS FINISHED 13th (DEAD LAST) IN HIS 17th SEASON AT UNC.

Roasted.

Does it have to be specifically dead last in their 9th year and 10th in their 15th year?

Coach K finished 10th in his 31st year at Duke.

Boeheim finished 10th in his 42nd year at Syracuse.

Calipari finished 8th (in the SEC!!) in his 12th year at UK.

ROY WILLIAMS FINISHED 13th (DEAD LAST) IN HIS 17th SEASON AT UNC.

Roasted.
Yeah, roasted...know what the common denominator is with ALL of them Einstein...not only did they all reach a Final Four BEFORE that, they ALL WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP (or multiple ones) as well.

You are right though, I am roasted.

Just stop...I can't even say "while you're ahead", as, it is not true in that you are SO far behind...but, STOP...please...as you could not possibly be more wrong or sound more stupid at this point in that SO many people have refuted literally EVERYTHING that you have stated in this thread...repeatedly for that matter.

Yeah, roasted...know what the common denominator is with ALL of them Einstein...not only did they all reach a Final Four BEFORE that, they ALL WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP (or multiple ones) as well.

You are right though, I am roasted.

Just stop...I can't even say "while you're ahead", as, it is not true in that you are SO far behind...but, STOP...please...as you could not possibly be more wrong or sound more stupid at this point in that SO many people have refuted literally EVERYTHING that you have stated in this thread...repeatedly for that matter.
So now you are moving the goalposts? You told me to “Name one…. Just one” elite coach that had a poor season after being at their respective schools for a long time. I easily did that with multiple coaches.

You should stop while you are only way behind.

So now you are moving the goalposts? You told me to “Name one…. Just one” elite coach that had a poor season after being at their respective schools for a long time. I easily did that with multiple coaches.

You should stop while you are only way behind.
No, that is not what I asked, and, you have moved the goalposts so much and so many times during this conversation/thread in that you have been refuted so many times it is laughable.

In fact, you KNOW that is not what I asked...you conveniently moved the goalposts yourself actually, as you could not answer the actual question...because it has not happened.

No, that is not what I asked, and, you have moved the goalposts so much and so many times during this conversation/thread in that you have been refuted so many times it is laughable.

In fact, you KNOW that is not what I asked...you conveniently moved the goalposts yourself actually, as you could not answer the actual question...because it has not happened.
This is exactly what you asked. Roy Williams finished dead last in his 17th season at UNC.

Roasted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT