ADVERTISEMENT

CMP Salary Increases? Should Be a Final 4 Bonus...

Then maybe Painter should change his system, because his system hasn't proven to work very well in the tourney.
Painter's best teams have been when he's had a ball dominate scoring guard, not a low post space eater.
You keep saying this, and it continues to be laughable. Over the last 6 years, what coaches have the most tournament wins?

Painter's best teams actually have both a dominant scoring guard and dominant low post player.

You keep saying this, and it continues to be laughable. Over the last 6 years, what coaches have the most tournament wins?

Painter's best teams actually have both a dominant scoring guard and dominant low post player.
Who was the dominant low post player with Painter's best tourney run? Haarms? He didn't spend that much time in the low post. Most of his points came on PnR, slips into the lane.
But, the fact remains, we needed a historical shooting performance from Edwards to get to the E8. It just proves the value of having a guard who can go out and get you 30 pts if needed.
You can't do that with low post players who don't stretch the floor.

Reactions: purduepat1969
So Painter doesn’t deserve credit for recognizing the talent of Carsen and Ivey? I would think it would be more impressive that he helped turn them into All-Americans after them being unheralded recruits.

As for the rest of your blabbering, the showing interest stuff came about because Dag said no elite recruit showed interest. It was a laughable statement and I called him on it.

I have no moral victories, I’ve seen Purdue have a very high degree of success under Painter and fully support him.

Based on your negative glass half full attitude, I can only assume you didn’t grow up with parents, or they just simply didn’t love you.
We all support Painter, but we're not all worshiping at the Painter alter as the greatest coach in history like you are. He's a good coach X/Os coach, not great at making in-game adjustments or trying something different (some variation of a zone D once in a while...), a good big man recruiter, but not a great recruiter overall, and unfortunately, has developed the reputation as a tourney coach with a S16 ceiling.

Reactions: DAG10

And in the last 6 years, we've lost to Ark Little Rock, North TX and St. Peters. We also got beat by Kansas by 32, Tx Tech by 13.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
And in the last 6 years, we've lost to Ark Little Rock, North TX and St. Peters. We also got beat by Kansas by 32, Tx Tech by 13.
Wow, did not realize all those losses occurred in this time frame he keeps referencing. Really shows why so many have soured on him as a coach in the tournament IMO. A lot of embarrassing losses there. Texas tech may be the least embarrassing, and they absolutely dominated us from beginning to end with their better athletes.

Wow, did not realize all those losses occurred in this time frame he keeps referencing. Really shows why so many have soured on him as a coach in the tournament IMO. A lot of embarrassing losses there. Texas tech may be the least embarrassing, and they absolutely dominated us from beginning to end with their better athletes.
To be fair, our best loss in the timeframe which I didn't list is UVA. But, in 3 of those years, we were upset by double digit seeds, run off the floor by KU, and as you say, never were really threatening vs TxTech.

To be fair, our best loss in the timeframe which I didn't list is UVA. But, in 3 of those years, we were upset by double digit seeds, run off the floor by KU, and as you say, never were really threatening vs TxTech.
True, I should have said of the ones the you listed as I was aware of UVA. I mean, yeah, it sucked we lost, but at least we were competitive. Or it wasn't some small school I've never heard of with a double digit seed.

Reactions: DAG10 and bonefish1
Who was the dominant low post player with Painter's best tourney run? Haarms? He didn't spend that much time in the low post. Most of his points came on PnR, slips into the lane.
But, the fact remains, we needed a historical shooting performance from Edwards to get to the E8. It just proves the value of having a guard who can go out and get you 30 pts if needed.
You can't do that with low post players who don't stretch the floor.
Let’s see how big of a Purdue fan you are. That team got off to a very slow start. What was the turning point for them?

BTW, Cline’s shooting performance against Tennessee was better than Carsen’s.

You've gotta be a member of the coaching staff or someone close to the program to be believing this stuff...
Take care of the ball
Great shooter
High basketball IQ

I have to be a member of the coaching staff to believe that Painter (also a member of the coaching staff) wants the skills above in his PG?

We all support Painter, but we're not all worshiping at the Painter alter as the greatest coach in history like you are. He's a good coach X/Os coach, not great at making in-game adjustments or trying something different (some variation of a zone D once in a while...), a good big man recruiter, but not a great recruiter overall, and unfortunately, has developed the reputation as a tourney coach with a S16 ceiling.
Nice hyperbole.

How can the Sweet 16 be his ceiling when he’s made an Elite 8? Why should we play zone? It’s a horrible defense.

Do you know what a skill is? Are short, unathletic, and slow skills?
I made it clear that I never thought PJ was a B10 level guard. Felt the same way about his brother.
His best skill was being able to his an open 3, which makes you a shooting guard, not a PG.

We did not lose to ARL in the last 6 years.

Nice hyperbole.

How can the Sweet 16 be his ceiling when he’s made an Elite 8? Why should we play zone? It’s a horrible defense.
You don't have to be Syracuse and play zone for 40 mins, but switch up the man to man. Give the team a different look. Make them prepare for something else. There's a lot of reasons to throw in a zone or some variation of it a few times a game.
As far as the S16 being his ceiling? He's 1-6 in S16 games.

I made it clear that I never thought PJ was a B10 level guard. Felt the same way about his brother.
His best skill was being able to his an open 3, which makes you a shooting guard, not a PG.
And as I’ve been telling you, the PG in Painter’s system is more of a SG. We don’t need a ball dominant PG in this system. It wouldn’t work.

You don't have to be Syracuse and play zone for 40 mins, but switch up the man to man. Give the team a different look. Make them prepare for something else. There's a lot of reasons to throw in a zone or some variation of it a few times a game.
As far as the S16 being his ceiling? He's 1-6 in S16 games.
Painter has forgotten more about basketball than you will ever know. As have many other great coaches who never play zone. It’s a crap defense.

And as I’ve been telling you, the PG in Painter’s system is more of a SG. We don’t need a ball dominant PG in this system. It wouldn’t work.
Our 2 best players in the last 5 years have been ball dominant high volume guards.
We'll certainly find out this year if it's necessary or not.

Take care of the ball
Great shooter
High basketball IQ

I have to be a member of the coaching staff to believe that Painter (also a member of the coaching staff) wants the skills above in his PG?

Has Painter personally told you he wants players with skills EXACTLY like PJ Thompson? How do you know EXACTLY what Painter wants?

In no way, shape, or form was PJ Thompson a shooting guard. He only really started shooting and hitting open 3's later in his career. He was a good guard. But shooting is not what I'd put in front of his title...

No, but you seem convinced that were it not for Haas' injury and a missed rebound, that we'd be sitting on two NC trophies right now, while nothing in Painter's resume would support that in the tourney.
Did I say that? Not sure why you are making so much shit up.

You've gotta be a member of the coaching staff or someone close to the program to be believing this stuff...
Not just believing it...preaching it...like gospel.

I love PJ Thompson as much as anyone...more, actually, as I am fortunate enough to know him...but, the notion (never mind proclamation) that he is EXACTLY what Purdue looks for is ridiculous.

Skill set? Sure...to an extent at least...but, even that has some limitations that are precisely why Painter/Purdue has not/can't/won't land an elite PG.

Reactions: purduepat1969
In no way, shape, or form was PJ Thompson a shooting guard. He only really started shooting and hitting open 3's later in his career. He was a good guard. But shooting is not what I'd put in front of his title...
What you think doesn’t really matter. He was a career 40% 3pt shooter on 3 attempts per game.

Take care of the ball
Great shooter
High basketball IQ

No, but your average Dad coaching Rec basketball looks for the same things...in all of their players, not just the PG.

Not just believing it...preaching it...like gospel.

I love PJ Thompson as much as anyone...more, actually, as I am fortunate enough to know him...but, the notion (never mind proclamation) that he is EXACTLY what Purdue looks for is ridiculous.

Skill set? Sure...to an extent at least...but, even that has some limitations that are precisely why Painter/Purdue has not/can't/won't land an elite PG.
I was talking about skillset. I’ve clarified that in about 10 posts now.

ADVERTISEMENT