ADVERTISEMENT

Rioux and Jacobsen

Purdue took a long look at Rioux. His mom and Julia Edey developed a friendship. This was a mismatch from the tip Daniel was just too active for either of their 7 footers. Which should serve him well in a crowd of B1G Ten 7 footers. Kid truly gets better day by day. Yes, he is going to play right away. He has skills that kill.

Purdue took a long look at Rioux. His mom and Julia Edey developed a friendship. This was a mismatch from the tip Daniel was just too active for either of their 7 footers. Which should serve him well in a crowd of B1G Ten 7 footers. Kid truly gets better day by day. Yes, he is going to play right away. He has skills that kill.
What do you think of his strength/weight to compete at the B1G right away? Zach obviously had 50 lbs more (DJ listed at 251 at U18 camp), but was really good at using his lower body to establish position. Obviously he had that upper body strength (I would assume he gained a lot of throughout his career). But do you think DJ will get “bullied” so to speak with the more mature 5s he will see this year?

What do you think of his strength/weight to compete at the B1G right away? Zach obviously had 50 lbs more (DJ listed at 251 at U18 camp), but was really good at using his lower body to establish position. Obviously he had that upper body strength (I would assume he gained a lot of throughout his career). But do you think DJ will get “bullied” so to speak with the more mature 5s he will see this year?
There is a recent Brian Neubert interview with DJ, in which DJ said he is about 230 lbs.

BN posted it on 6/8/2024. I think the actual video was recorded a few weeks earlier.
Always funny when sports lists guys at certain heights or weights and usually they are inflated…like ballo being 7 ft when really 6’10…or Bronny James being listed at 6’3-6’4 and really 6’1.

So who knows how much he actually weighs haha. All that matters is he’s able to play at this level and we all hope he is.

How far did he jump in the 247 rankings? Seems it was a large jump to #52...right?

How far did he jump in the 247 rankings? Seems it was a large jump to #52...right?
I thought it has high 80's which was kind of laughable after he beat out much higher ranked guys on this team.

For example the projected starting 5 star center at Duke on the team was unproductive and behind Jacobson and Illinois bound Morez Johnson on the bench the whole tournament.

Looks like Scheyer might need to see if Ryan Young can get an 8th year of eligibility or they will be softer than last year inside.

Always funny when sports lists guys at certain heights or weights and usually they are inflated…like ballo being 7 ft when really 6’10…or Bronny James being listed at 6’3-6’4 and really 6’1.

So who knows how much he actually weighs haha. All that matters is he’s able to play at this level and we all hope he is.
I certainly think he’s able to play at this level! If you have access to the other site, the interview is interesting to listen to.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

Sometimes it goes the other way......like when Dakich had C-Boogie @ about 5' 5". Haha.

I suspect he will. I expect he can give them nightmares as well with his mobility and shot blocking. All season long he has faced D1 competition and looked good doing so. NO ONE! faced tougher competition than Daniel. I expect fouls will be his biggest worry just ahead of stamina. On the FIBA team he was constantly in foul trouble except for the 2nd game. And that would have been an issue had he not split minutes with an old guy at Brewster. He gets bad calls because he tries to do too much IMO. Much Like Zach in his first year. The stamina is because he has no meat on his bones, I don't recall a game where the opposing center weighed less than him. I still think the +- will favor Purdue when he is on the court. He's going to contribute right away and has the potential to be special.

I suspect he will. I expect he can give them nightmares as well with his mobility and shot blocking. All season long he has faced D1 competition and looked good doing so. NO ONE! faced tougher competition than Daniel. I expect fouls will be his biggest worry just ahead of stamina. On the FIBA team he was constantly in foul trouble except for the 2nd game. And that would have been an issue had he not split minutes with an old guy at Brewster. He gets bad calls because he tries to do too much IMO. Much Like Zach in his first year. The stamina is because he has no meat on his bones, I don't recall a game where the opposing center weighed less than him. I still think the +- will favor Purdue when he is on the court. He's going to contribute right away and has the potential to be special.
Good write up, thanks. So would you say 15-20 min range?

Reactions: oldboiler52
Agree, he definitely needs some coaching up on D to avoid fouling. Luckily Purdue has some guy named Brandon Brantley on staff that knows a thing or 2 about coaching young bigs.

He's going to need a Mason Gillis, like Zach and Trevion before him. As an underclassman at least. Not sure who that is, probably Furst/TKR.

def 15 - 20 min. , I may be in the minority here but I think w/ more PT for TKR he'll be in foul trouble sometimes

Welp - we know he's good for at least one head-scratcher, illegal screen or cheap/nickel-dimer a game - inherited that from Trevion Williams it appears. Hopefully, Purdue should have some depth to absorb it.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Welp - we know he's good for at least one head-scratcher, illegal screen or cheap/nickel-dimer a game - inherited that from Trevion Williams it appears. Hopefully, Purdue should have some depth to absorb it.
don't know about inheriting anything but he's slow footed and doesn't leap well imo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT