ADVERTISEMENT

Jacobsen to compete for spot on U18 USA National team

Just watched a bit of the game - thing I love is he can really get up and down the court. Tremendous shot blocker.
Right? He guarded the PnR well too and was able to recover and then block the weak side shot. Argentina was clearly bothered by his height and ability. Obviously needs to work a bit on strength, but that’ll come. He’s the most complete “modern” big man we have had at Purdue. I wonder if paint will let him (and berg) take 3s…hopefully he does. Gonna be fun to watch them develop.

I sure hope Cox is great and the things you say are true. Honestly though, I know zero about him other than how he was "found" & that he is now a Purdue recruit. Going to be interesting to see these kids as they get to campus and intermingle with each other on the court.
A little more info on CJ. This reviewer lists all the qualities Coach Painter looks for in a PG. The difference is he has those qualities on both sides of the ball and has the height and strength for a combo guard. As does Harris. Also CJ plays for Middlesex Magic, one of the toughest East Coast AAU teams.

Tough, scrappy, good vision and another complete “steal” of a player. Can’t wait to see him play with Harris as the backup 1 & 2.

A little more info on CJ. This reviewer lists all the qualities Coach Painter looks for in a PG. The difference is he has those qualities on both sides of the ball and has the height and strength for a combo guard. As does Harris. Also CJ plays for Middlesex Magic, one of the toughest East Coast AAU teams.

Tough, scrappy, good vision and another complete “steal” of a player. Can’t wait to see him play with Harris as the backup 1 & 2.

Oh my. Well done CMP. Nice find. Kid's a scorer.

I consider myself brave because I post original thoughts rather than just going along with the majority opinion. I use my brain rather than copy and pasting. It’s not a matter of speculating. Rather it’s gathering information and forming a conclusion. That’s what chemists and scientists are taught to do. To examine all of the possibilities and possible outcomes. How can you form a conclusion if you don’t examine and consider opposing viewpoints?

It takes courage to speak against the majority. I admit my mistakes.

This is not an anonymous sports forum. Many posters here have bragged about their real jobs and life. It’s not hard to figure out who you are.

And many here have provided their real names. Was Eastern’s mom an anonymous poster? While many disagreed with her viewpoints, it took a lot of courage for her to post what she did. And many of you treated her like dirt! And you were proud of it.
For someone who loves words, you don't choose them very carefully. When found in error, you go back and change what you said, as you did here.

In any case, you still think you are courageous because you think you "speak against the majority" on an anonymous sports forum. And you think it is brave to "post original thoughts"? Some superhero. lol

With total love that he is a Boiler ... I see nothing that says he starts next year.
Hey wolegib is this what you mean saying no one will make predictions???? - You've attacked me for years, ever since you admitted to baiting me into fluffing your genitals. I hope your therapist helps help your intense desire for validation.

• Wow
Reactions: northside100
Right? He guarded the PnR well too and was able to recover and then block the weak side shot. Argentina was clearly bothered by his height and ability. Obviously needs to work a bit on strength, but that’ll come. He’s the most complete “modern” big man we have had at Purdue. I wonder if paint will let him (and berg) take 3s…hopefully he does. Gonna be fun to watch them develop.
If they shoot them in the upper 35+% he will I believe unless they shoot over 60% in close. Course if they have a rim protector defending them that 35+% might be enough😊

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Jacobsen has looked more and more comfortable in these games. No idea what to expect from Berg, but Jacobsen is going to be a force, especially with a coach that will run plays for him

I think it’s more USA is winning by a ton so coaches don’t see the need to play starters.

But yeah, their offense is not post first…lots of transition/jacking up outside shots haha
Morez isn’t getting the ball much, either. 11 points, 17 rebounds in 19 minutes. Has to rebound to get shots.

Jacobsen has looked more and more comfortable in these games. No idea what to expect from Berg, but Jacobsen is going to be a force, especially with a coach that will run plays for him

Going to be hard to keep him off the floor. Alot to like. He is going to be a great asset to CMP. Has potential to lead NCAA in blocks as soon as the rest of his D catches up with that phenomenal ability.

Morez isn’t getting the ball much, either. 11 points, 17 rebounds in 19 minutes. Has to rebound to get shots.
I think Morez is looking pretty good and more aggressive on the boards. Jacobsen is really going to good, but I am likely in the minority and don’t think he’s gonna start and will still need some coaching up before his minutes increase dramatically.

Braden is going to love having another 7'3 guy to lob it up to.

Also, IF, and it's a big IF, all the rotational bigs can shoot it consistently from outside, the offensive spacing is really going to open up and give CMP some creative wrinkles.

TKR and Furst have shown ability to hit 3s at this level and need to work on confidence. Jacobson sure looks comfortable and smooth letting that jumper rip.

Braden is going to love having another 7'3 guy to lob it up to.

Also, IF, and it's a big IF, all the rotational bigs can shoot it consistently from outside, the offensive spacing is really going to open up and give CMP some creative wrinkles.

TKR and Furst have shown ability to hit 3s at this level and need to work on confidence. Jacobson sure looks comfortable and smooth letting that jumper rip.
Yup yup and yupppp. Offense should look a ton different and spacing will be more open. Consistent transition offense may be a thing finally 😂

Maybe??

I thought TKR @ the 5

But everyone loves the tape we are seeing. Still gotta learn team D and perimeter D. So long way to go. Sure will get some big minutes.
TKR and him can play the 4 and 5 and interchange…but TKR will be/should our post scoring option

TKR and him can play the 4 and 5 and interchange…but TKR will be/should our post scoring option

That's what I think. I think TKR will be a team leader & makes one of the top three All B10 teams. He needs to shore up foul shooting and his tendencies to commit silly fouls.

I get excited over DJ, everyone does. Fans are going to have block counts with him. Has the potential to break the season block record IF he can get the PT. Doubt he is here long enough to break overall boiler record.

But I do think it is a huge step up between his level of play now, and playing team & perimeter D.....not to mention the strength to go against B10 experienced centers. We certainly have the coaches to get him going....likely the best in country for him. Hope he can make the transition, because day 1 he will be our best rim protector.

I think once DJ gets going, (&that might be awhile?) it possibly effects Furst's PT.....which I thought would trend way, way up this year. Now with DJ, I am not as certain.

Going to be interesting to see CMP use & blend all these weapons together with our experience.

Last edited:
I think Morez is looking pretty good and more aggressive on the boards. Jacobsen is really going to good, but I am likely in the minority and don’t think he’s gonna start and will still need some coaching up before his minutes increase dramatically.
Not sure you’re in the minority, the other camp is just pretty active / vocal. This is a great showing for DJ with USABB and a great sign for Purdue that they landed another good one, but there will be a ton of competition for minutes at the 4/5.

I suspect that either DJ or Berg will get minutes as a rim protector, but we are likely to see significant minutes with a smaller lineup as well.

That's what I think. I think TKR will be a team leader & makes one of the top three All B10 teams. He needs to shore up foul shooting and his tendencies to commit silly fouls.

I get excited over DJ, everyone does. Fans are going to have block counts with him. Has the potential to break the season block record IF he can get the PT. Doubt he is here long enough to break overall boiler record.

But I do think it is a huge step up between his level of play now, and playing team & perimeter D.....not to mention the strength to go against B10 experienced centers. We certainly have the coaches to get him going....likely the best in country for him. Hope he can make the transition, because day 1 he will be our best rim protector.

I think once DJ gets going, (&that might be awhile?) it possibly effects Furst's PT.....which I thought would trend way, way up this year. Now with DJ, I am not as certain.

Going to be interesting to see CMP use & blend all these weapons together with our experience.
Yeah I agree with all you said. DJ will come off the bench and may start towards end of year but won’t be surprised if he plays 15-20 mins most of the year. Who knows how good his stamina is at this point, as D1 is obviously a HUGE step up from USAU18.

If he can just come in and give us solid mins/a different look/protect the rim and give a few points…it’ll be perfect. He doesn’t need to dominate this year…I will expect that for his sophomore campaign. Berg and Furst will fill in the other mins and I guess I need to get over it, but even Heide too (hopefully he is putting on another 15-20lbs to be able to guard the 4). I assume Burgess RS, but if not he seems a decent option for 5-10 min a game (if needed and not RS).

Lots of guys who can play diff positions, which is great and we haven’t had that for quite some time. Painter and staff did a great job getting to this point with the team management. Excited to see how it all
comes together.

I agree. Historically, when trusted veterans are in place, Painter isn't inclined to throw freshmen in the deep end. As good as they are, none of the freshmen will be under pressure to be "the man".

I agree these freshman are going to help this team out this year i think cox could be the back up point guard and harris more off the ball which will allow colvin to come off the bench with them and waddell and this freshman big and dont forget about berg so i like the depth that this team going to have

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT