ADVERTISEMENT

Jacobsen to compete for spot on U18 USA National team

It started an hour earlier than I thought it was supposed to. Here’s the link:

DJ had two blocks so far in the third q. He also altered two other shots and forced a turnover. He was guarding his man out by the 3 line and also was trying to block 3 pt shots on transition…a lot different than what we were used to with Zach…however, he did get pulled down to the ground on offense by Argentina, and didn’t get the call. Couldnt tell what happened since broadcast is in Spanish.
It's going to be hard to follow Zach but the good news for DJ is he's a completely different type of player and it looks like he'll fit in really well with what this Purdue team needs.

Here is what is reported....
**He spent ten of his 18 years in Wisconsin.
**A J&C article has him from La Cueva New Mexico HS before attending Brewster.
**247 has him from Greenville, SC.
**Not sure where the Chicago report comes from, but yes, I have seen that several times too.

He seems to be from everywhere USA. Maybe computer AI has made him up, and he really doesn't exist, and that's how CMP will get to 13? Lol

If reports are true that he is has been one of the best players on his 18U team where he has been playing great D, that bodes well for lots of minutes next year for him........that is, if he really does exist. Lol
watching his game vs Argentina, I would NOT call that great D

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
watching his game vs Argentina, I would NOT call that great D
He played some of the better defense on the team than the others. I think a lot of these kids don’t have the proper training yet on defense because their skill was so much better than everyone else they were playing, they could just rely on that. Now that the playing field is a bit more even, they get exposed a bit more. Especially against teams that have played together for awhile.

I can’t wait to see him get to train under coach B and painter and to see what he looks like on both sides of the ball. He probably won’t dominate this year, but I fully expect that out of him his sophomore year.

Like northside said, he is what Purdue needs this year after Zach left…he doesn’t need to be the go to scorer, but needs to be a rim protector, make smart decisions and a threat to hit open, outside shots.

Also, for those wondering, he just turned 18.

He played some of the better defense on the team than the others. I think a lot of these kids don’t have the proper training yet on defense because their skill was so much better than everyone else they were playing, they could just rely on that. Now that the playing field is a bit more even, they get exposed a bit more. Especially against teams that have played together for awhile.

I can’t wait to see him get to train under coach B and painter and to see what he looks like on both sides of the ball. He probably won’t dominate this year, but I fully expect that out of him his sophomore year.

Like northside said, he is what Purdue needs this year after Zach left…he doesn’t need to be the go to scorer, but needs to be a rim protector, make smart decisions and a threat to hit open, outside shots.
totally agree

totally agree
Also, he altered a lot of shots and the Argentina players were afraid to go in the paint when he was there. I saw he finished with 9 points, 10 boards and 5 blocks…and that’s really without the team going down low to him.

Keep getting more and more excited about him.

I’ll admit I wasn’t that hype on him when we signed him, but every time I see him play he’s gotten better and better.

With total love that he is a Boiler ... I see nothing that says he starts next year.
He doesn’t need to. He gives up an option of a rim protector. Not saying he is freshman year clingan but he can play that role of 10-15 a night and come in and make it difficult on opposing teams to drive. Just gives us more lineup options. And if he’s ready to play more than 10-15, that’s even better.

Agreed & posted about that above. He is excellent at blocks as a rim protector....but needs coaching on team & perimeter D
And you know he will get those exact things with the Purdue staff. Paint won’t play him until he’s ready/doing things the way they want him to. But the potential is there for him to be the next great big man at Purdue.

I believe he will be ready to play/start as a freshman. He won’t be an offensive star, but he will be good enough to start and play 20 minutes, pull down 8-10 rebounds, 2-4 blocks and 8-10 points.

I believe he could be the biggest surprise this year of our incoming class. He reminds me of Haarms. I doubt he becomes the offensive weapon Edey became. But I could see him becoming a double double center

Haarms ran the floor very well and someone here has said the DJ moves as well or better. If so that would feed further the thought that they might go more up tempo next year.
Yep. You have another 10+ players that can start anywhere in college basketball. All have a calm demeanor, are a hell of a lot more athletic and several are as good defensively as they are offensively.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I believe he will be ready to play/start as a freshman. He won’t be an offensive star, but he will be good enough to start and play 20 minutes, pull down 8-10 rebounds, 2-4 blocks and 8-10 points.

I believe he could be the biggest surprise this year of our incoming class. He reminds me of Haarms. I doubt he becomes the offensive weapon Edey became. But I could see him becoming a double double center
I also think CJ Cox will be a breakout star for us this year too. Leadership off the charts, already a physical beast and he will an outstanding backup PG behind Braden.

Some highlights

Side note, It bothered me a bit that the net is was installed upside down…is that how they usually play down in South America?!
The replies to that Tweet are gold. A solid mix of "Where do they find these guys?", "Oh no, not again!" mixed with the butthurt "Is he going to be a foul merchant too?" comments.

Him and edey are not the same player. DJ is closer to Kalk or even a “poor man’s” Chet Holmgren….needs to develop the 3 and his handles to be anywhere close to there.

And Can he be a surprise if he starts on the U18 team, has been reported he is the best center there, jumped a ton in the rankings and all of us expect him to contribute at least 10-15 mins this year?

Last edited:

Can he be a surprise if he starts on the U18 team, has been reported he is the best center there, jumped a ton in the rankings and all of us expect him to contribute at least 10-15 mins this year?

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I also think CJ Cox will be a breakout star for us this year too. Leadership off the charts, already a physical beast and he will an outstanding backup PG behind Braden.

I sure hope Cox is great and the things you say are true. Honestly though, I know zero about him other than how he was "found" & that he is now a Purdue recruit. Going to be interesting to see these kids as they get to campus and intermingle with each other on the court.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I think Daniel's stats would have been better without foul trouble. Coaches seemed to pull him early in the 2nd half but put him back in to finish the game with 7 minutes to play and only up 10.
Really looking forward to the next two years of Purdue basketball.

Him and edey are not the same player. DJ is closer to Kalk or even a “poor man’s” Chet Holmgren….needs to develop the 3 and his handles to be anywhere close to there.

And Can he be a surprise if he starts on the U18 team, has been reported he is the best center there, jumped a ton in the rankings and all of us expect him to contribute at least 10-15 mins this year?
I could agree he could be close to what Holgrem was in college. And if you look back at a previous post, you will find I said I believe he will be even better than Holcrom !

I believe Someone mentioned my spelling mistake.

I think I also mentioned he would start and play 20+ minutes a game as a freshman before these under 19 games.

Wolegib pats himself on the back. I don’t care what my naysayers say. They never are brave enough to stick their neck out to make any predictions. They just love to criticize those of us who do.

I think Daniel's stats would have been better without foul trouble. Coaches seemed to pull him early in the 2nd half but put him back in to finish the game with 7 minutes to play and only up 10.
Really looking forward to the next two years of Purdue basketball.
There was a weird foul where he was pulled down but they called it on him? And then he was taken out. Wish I knew more but couldn’t quite translate the Spanish quick enough 😂

I could agree he could be close to what Holgrem was in college. And if you look back at a previous post, you will find I said I believe he will be even better than Holcrom !

I believe Someone mentioned my spelling mistake.

I think I also mentioned he would start and play 20+ minutes a game as a freshman before these under 19 games.

Wolegib pats himself on the back. I don’t care what my naysayers say. They never are brave enough to stick their neck out to make any predictions. They just love to criticize those of us who do.
You consider yourself to be a brave person because you "make predictions" on an anonymous sports forum? Wow. There are probably things more pathetic than that, but not many come to mind.

You consider yourself to be a brave person because you "make predictions" on an anonymous sports forum? Wow. There are probably things more pathetic than that, but not many come to mind.
I consider myself brave because I post original thoughts rather than just going along with the majority opinion. I use my brain rather than copy and pasting. It’s not a matter of speculating. Rather it’s gathering information and forming a conclusion. That’s what chemists and scientists are taught to do. To examine all of the possibilities and possible outcomes. How can you form a conclusion if you don’t examine and consider opposing viewpoints?

It takes courage to speak against the majority. I admit my mistakes.

This is not an anonymous sports forum. Many posters here have bragged about their real jobs and life. It’s not hard to figure out who you are.

And many here have provided their real names. Was Eastern’s mom an anonymous poster? While many disagreed with her viewpoints, it took a lot of courage for her to post what she did. And many of you treated her like dirt! And you were proud of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT