ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking Big Ten Football’s 2024 Nonconference Schedules - Purdue #4

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
Dan Lyons with Athlon Sports article: B10 Non-Conference Football Schedule Ranking

4. Purdue Boilermakers
  • Aug. 31 — vs. Indiana State (FCS)
  • Sept. 14 — vs. Notre Dame
  • Sept. 21 — at Oregon State
Ryan Walters’ team should be able to roll past Indiana State, as the Sycamores went 1-10 last season. But after that, things get difficult, with a home game against College Football Playoff hopeful Notre Dame and a trip to Corvallis to face a hungry Oregon State team.
The Boilermakers have lost eight consecutive games to Notre Dame, with the last win coming in 2007, when Joe Tiller’s program beat a woeful Charlie Weis-led team, 33-19.
Not shocking who is dead last at #18 (and they wonder why their program doesn't get better). Interesting to see MSU, OSU, NEB, and PSU in the middle of the ranking. Sad to see new arrivals USC and UCLA have 50% of the top four with Purdue and UM.

Dan Lyons with Athlon Sports article: B10 Non-Conference Football Schedule Ranking

4. Purdue Boilermakers
  • Aug. 31 — vs. Indiana State (FCS)
  • Sept. 14 — vs. Notre Dame
  • Sept. 21 — at Oregon State
Ryan Walters’ team should be able to roll past Indiana State, as the Sycamores went 1-10 last season. But after that, things get difficult, with a home game against College Football Playoff hopeful Notre Dame and a trip to Corvallis to face a hungry Oregon State team.
The Boilermakers have lost eight consecutive games to Notre Dame, with the last win coming in 2007, when Joe Tiller’s program beat a woeful Charlie Weis-led team, 33-19.
Not shocking who is dead last at #18 (and they wonder why their program doesn't get better). Interesting to see MSU, OSU, NEB, and PSU in the middle of the ranking. Sad to see new arrivals USC and UCLA have 50% of the top four with Purdue and UM.
Actually the way IU does it is smart. Say Purdue played a murderers row non conference before this.. kinda like the year tiller opened with USC and ND.. well, those games have now been moved to your CONFERENCE schedule.

it would be one thing if they didn’t require 6 wins for a bowl game anymore. If they said “hey, instead of a 9-3 mountain west team. We can take a 4 win Purdue team if they have a tough schedule” then yeah, play whoever. Purdue is just delusional with the schedule.

So everyone will blame Walters. And if he’s fired, I already asked.. what quality coach do you think is coming here to lose the Scourtons off their team, to play in a conference where Purdue is typically near the bottom historically AND to play a schedule where a lot of 7-5 Purdue teams I’ve seen would probably be 5-7?

Actually the way IU does it is smart. Say Purdue played a murderers row non conference before this.. kinda like the year tiller opened with USC and ND.. well, those games have now been moved to your CONFERENCE schedule.

it would be one thing if they didn’t require 6 wins for a bowl game anymore. If they said “hey, instead of a 9-3 mountain west team. We can take a 4 win Purdue team if they have a tough schedule” then yeah, play whoever. Purdue is just delusional with the schedule.

So everyone will blame Walters. And if he’s fired, I already asked.. what quality coach do you think is coming here to lose the Scourtons off their team, to play in a conference where Purdue is typically near the bottom historically AND to play a schedule where a lot of 7-5 Purdue teams I’ve seen would probably be 5-7?
I’d rather play ND at home and be part of my season tickets than play on CBS than play St Mary’s of the blind and have a better chance at the Little Caesars pizza bowl.

I agree about our non con scheduling. It’s just awful. We already play an extremely tough, exciting, national schedule in conference play. At most we should have 1 mid to low tier p4 team, with 2 cupcakes in the non con. I personally would be fine with 3 cupcakes. Let’s at least give our team a chance to have a winning season. I would much rather watch us beat Indiana st than get our ass kicked by tcu, Notre dame, etc. Our conference schedule is plenty tough.

I’d rather play ND at home and be part of my season tickets than play on CBS than play St Mary’s of the blind and have a better chance at the Little Caesars pizza bowl.
Yeah I know.. as time has gone on, people have inexplicably began to act as though the 15 bowl practices you get aren’t extremely valuable.

We play Notre dame at home. That game is Oregon … a top program that we play in addition to the normal task of playing Penn state and Ohio State.

Why would we ask a coach, particularly in the era where our best players can be bought with straight cash, to do what Joe tiller never had to do? He went 8-4 in 1998

2-4 against teams with a winning record
6-0 against teams without a record above .500

Wanna see that schedule? It makes 2022 look difficult by comparison … it was a joke. 6-6 without ND in the coming schedule IS 8-4 with that schedule. Again I know people like you will pretend it’s Walters. And the day I’m looking forward to reading the outraged posts when people like you realize who is NOT WILLING to come here to replace him.

Yeah I know.. as time has gone on, people have inexplicably began to act as though the 15 bowl practices you get aren’t extremely valuable.

We play Notre dame at home. That game is Oregon … a top program that we play in addition to the normal task of playing Penn state and Ohio State.

Why would we ask a coach, particularly in the era where our best players can be bought with straight cash, to do what Joe tiller never had to do? He went 8-4 in 1998

2-4 against teams with a winning record
6-0 against teams without a record above .500

Wanna see that schedule? It makes 2022 look difficult by comparison … it was a joke. 6-6 without ND in the coming schedule IS 8-4 with that schedule. Again I know people like you will pretend it’s Walters. And the day I’m looking forward to reading the outraged posts when people like you realize who is NOT WILLING to come here to replace him.
They are valuable. But I can’t look at any team and said if we had scheduled cupcakes we’d be bowling since 2009. Fresno state was a respectable program but I bet we still play them and swap out Syracuse with a cupcake and we finish 5-7. But I’d rather have a great OOC game on national TV than get those extra practices every 15 years. No my expectation for this year is not to get a bowl game. But I hope we can at least win the games we are supposed to.

They are valuable. But I can’t look at any team and said if we had scheduled cupcakes we’d be bowling since 2009. Fresno state was a respectable program but I bet we still play them and swap out Syracuse with a cupcake and we finish 5-7. But I’d rather have a great OOC game on national TV than get those extra practices every 15 years. No my expectation for this year is not to get a bowl game. But I hope we can at least win the games we are supposed to.
So you want a 4-8 team that people clown when that team would have been 6-6 or 7-5 with the 2007 schedule? That 8-4 team beat:

> eastern Illinois
> THREE MAC TEAMS!
> 1-11 minnesota
> 3-9 ND
> 6-6 Iowa
> 6-6 northwestern

8 games that you could argue would be our 2-4th easiest game right now!

You are not living in reality. You are deciding your lizard brain is activated by something then working backwards

You continue to cry about it but most of these games were scheduled 8-10+ years ago when college football was vastly different.

Don’t think it’s unreasonable to play a patsy, a good G5 or bad P5 and then schedule a good OOC game every year.

Your entire argument discounts the fact that heavily paid or not, Walters HAS landed 4 and 5 star talent. Like all players, some will work out and some won’t. From a talent perspective there will always be a gulf between the blue bloods and us but just because Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois might have spent more…it doesn’t mean they got better players.

The coach at Purdue will always have to have a schematic and coaching advantage. It’s what made us successful before NIL and will need to be successful during NIL as well if we want to perform.

Give a bad coach good players…bad team. Give a good coach the best players you can get…yes I have an expectation that they perform up to and beyond the level of the talent.

Reactions: BBG
So you want a 4-8 team that people clown when that team would have been 6-6 or 7-5 with the 2007 schedule? That 8-4 team beat:

> eastern Illinois
> THREE MAC TEAMS!
> 1-11 minnesota
> 3-9 ND
> 6-6 Iowa
> 6-6 northwestern

8 games that you could argue would be our 2-4th easiest game right now!

You are not living in reality. You are deciding your lizard brain is activated by something then working backwards
Yes, I would rather not play Eastern Illinois and 3 MAC teams (although the 3rd was CMU in motor city bowl). And we were 7-5 in regular season that year, not 8-4.

We can disagree it’s ok. I just prefer exciting games on national TV and all the positivity it brings in full stadiums like Syracuse and Virginia tech last year and what Notre dame will bring this year.

Reactions: BBG and pboiler18
You continue to cry about it but most of these games were scheduled 8-10+ years ago when college football was vastly different.

Don’t think it’s unreasonable to play a patsy, a good G5 or bad P5 and then schedule a good OOC game every year.

Your entire argument discounts the fact that heavily paid or not, Walters HAS landed 4 and 5 star talent. Like all players, some will work out and some won’t. From a talent perspective there will always be a gulf between the blue bloods and us but just because Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois might have spent more…it doesn’t mean they got better players.

The coach at Purdue will always have to have a schematic and coaching advantage. It’s what made us successful before NIL and will need to be successful during NIL as well if we want to perform.

Give a bad coach good players…bad team. Give a good coach the best players you can get…yes I have an expectation that they perform up to and beyond the level of the talent.
My argument isn’t about Walters lol! This is stupid scheduling of Walters gets fired tomorrow and replaced by whoever

Yes, I would rather not play Eastern Illinois and 3 MAC teams (although the 3rd was CMU in motor city bowl). And we were 7-5 in regular season that year, not 8-4.

We can disagree it’s ok. I just prefer exciting games on national TV and all the positivity it brings in full stadiums like Syracuse and Virginia tech last year and what Notre dame will bring this year.
The point is.. when Iowa is 6-6, northwestern is 6-6, Minnesota is freaking 1-11 and you only play 8 conference games… yeah go ahead and play Notre dame lol. You don’t need to when you play Penn state, Ohio state and Oregon IN conference.

Let’s take a look at the 1998 season when we did what you wanted and scheduled USC and Notre Dame preseason.

1) we also played UCF and Rice

2) here are the records of conference teams that year

Wisconsin 11-1 (7-1)
Penn State 9-3 (5-3)
Michigan State 6-6 (4-4)
Minnesota 5-6 (2-6)
Indiana 4-7 (2-6)
Illinois 3-8 (2-6)
Iowa 3-8 (2-6)
Northwestern 3-9 (0-8)

Woof. Yeah you’re never gonna see teams IN CONFERENCE, even the worst teams be that bad again.

Yeah, when your third best conference foe is 6-6.. go ahead and schedule whoever you want.

And it wasn’t just that year. Tillers schedules always had teams where you’re like “yeah that team is never ever EVER going to be that bad again.”

As long as you or I live you’ll never see a 3-9 Notre dame team.

So you want it both ways then. You want to be mad if Purdue doesn't schedule really tough opponents, but you also want to be mad if they don't make a bowl game because of it.

I'd rather win six games, go to a bowl game, get the extra practice and the program buzz.

IF you build up a program talent level where 7-8 wins a season is a given THEN sure toss in some harder nonconference games. But we ain't there, and we've almost never have been.

Not even under Tiller. Or no not Brohm either. We've always been a program who at best had good starters but very little depth.

Reactions: Wolegib

4 or 5 win teams do not generate positivity.

So you want it both ways then. You want to be mad if Purdue doesn't schedule really tough opponents, but you also want to be mad if they don't make a bowl game because of it.

I'd rather win six games, go to a bowl game, get the extra practice and the program buzz.

IF you build up a program talent level where 7-8 wins a season is a given THEN sure toss in some harder nonconference games. But we ain't there, and we've almost never have been.

Not even under Tiller. Or no not Brohm either. We've always been a program who at best had good starters but very little depth.
I think you misread my post. Thr and got to bowl gsme was lumped in with east schedule. I’d give up the extra chance to go to a crappy bowl game and extra practices in the offchance that is what we need to play a good team on national TV. That hasn’t happened in 16 years so I don’t want to swap out the good game just in case we need a sixth win.

As a fan you have a choice. Do you want your bowl game to be in September against a non conference opponent? Or do you want to watch Purdue play in a minor bowl after there season?
Maybe not to everyone here but we had some exciting games to watch last year in particular Syracuse and Virginia Tech.
I would rather have 40-7 blowouts over inferior teams than what you call exciting games that result in losses.

I believe every fan loves blowout wins over heartbreaking losses.

Maybe not to everyone here but we had some exciting games to watch last year in particular Syracuse and Virginia Tech.
Not to most people. There's no buzz around the program because we had a couple of exciting games in a 4 win season.

The only exception is for a team coming off a 0-2 win season.

I think you misread my post. Thr and got to bowl gsme was lumped in with east schedule. I’d give up the extra chance to go to a crappy bowl game and extra practices in the offchance that is what we need to play a good team on national TV. That hasn’t happened in 16 years so I don’t want to swap out the good game just in case we need a sixth win.
That's a mind boggling attitude to me. I don't remotely understand it.

As a fan you have a choice. Do you want your bowl game to be in September against a non conference opponent? Or do you want to watch Purdue play in a minor bowl after there season?

I would rather have 40-7 blowouts over inferior teams than what you call exciting games that result in losses.

I believe every fan loves blowout wins over heartbreaking losses.
I didn’t say I’d prefer a blowout win over heartbreaking losses. I said I’d rather play a great team than a cupcake. We scheduled Fresno state when we probably thought it would be a sure win and we lose. We have had many MAC losses they aren’t guaranteed. We have also upset some great teams, Ohio state multiples times recently and we had some big wins over msu and Iowa a few years back.

I didn’t say I’d prefer a blowout win over heartbreaking losses. I said I’d rather play a great team than a cupcake. We scheduled Fresno state when we probably thought it would be a sure win and we lose. We have had many MAC losses they aren’t guaranteed. We have also upset some great teams, Ohio state multiples times recently and we had some big wins over msu and Iowa a few years back.
I'd rather win, tbh.

Losing to Fresno and paying them $1 million for the pleasure absolutely sucked.

Losing to Syracuse and watching them tank their year sucked.

Beating VA was great, but it took a monsoon and it didn't save the season.

I would like to play 1 FCS, 1 in-state G5, and 1 P5 every year. That is a good balance of wins, local excitement and still preserves the possibility of 1 marquee program to play for those who like that.

I'd rather win, tbh.

Losing to Fresno and paying them $1 million for the pleasure absolutely sucked.

Losing to Syracuse and watching them tank their year sucked.

Beating VA was great, but it took a monsoon and it didn't save the season.

I would like to play 1 FCS, 1 in-state G5, and 1 P5 every year. That is a good balance of wins, local excitement and still preserves the possibility of 1 marquee program to play for those who like that.
We are close to that with Indiana State and ND, the difference is Oregon state vs in state G5. I would agree I’d rather play Ball State at home over Oregon State. That formula also allows us to have 7 home games every year with homes and homes against the P5 with the road game alternating with the year we have 5 big ten home games. I like that but not a walk back of my prior comments suggesting we should play 3 cupcakes like IU.

Reactions: boiledmeconium
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT