ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. Vermont THREAD

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
Purdue tips off against Vermont for a spot in the Fab 4 momentarily. B1G+ for those who want to watch.

Purdue up 17-12 at the end of the 1st quarter. WE are running a 131 press to speed Vermont up and it is working well. KG is using the bench at a higher rate than usual to keep us fresh. I really hope this is a preview for next season with the depth we will have all over the floor and athleticism.

43-41 Vermont after 3. WE just looked completely out of sorts on offense, Terry playing off the ball and Smith or Jones trying to run the offense but it just wasn't working.

I really hope A) Katie puts Terry back at point so we can win this and B) Poole and or Amiyah are ready, because we are not winning very many games next year with Jones running the point the way she is playing it tonight.

And maybe we need to invest in a seeing eye dog for Smith and for Jones so they can find their man on Defense? Vermont is running a lot of screens and those two are getting lost in space not guarding anyone.

Vermont leads 57=50

This loss is on Katie Gearlds. Up 5 at the half, she decides to get cute and play Smith and Jones at point and we end up losing by 8 or more. Smith and Jones are great athletes, but KG needs to recognize they are not good players yet at this point in time. I am back ready to lose Smith to the end of the bench for next year.

Reactions: Brya31
Sucks to see the season come to a close. We were ice cold shooting especially from three. We couldn't get stops in the second half. Vermont is a good team. They deserved to win. I hope they win the whole thing.

Now we wait and see what happens with the portal. I'm hoping we are able to attract a couple difference makers.

Sucks to see the season come to a close. We were ice cold shooting especially from three. We couldn't get stops in the second half. Vermont is a good team. They deserved to win. I hope they win the whole thing.

Now we wait and see what happens with the portal. I'm hoping we are able to attract a couple difference makers.
Yep, hit the portal hard, need 2 difference makers.

Reactions: tomgloe
Not a bad run in the WNIT considering we were missing 2 of our top 3 scorers who were also seniors. Gained some valuable experience for the younger players and they had their moments.

This game was another example of why we badly need another shooter from the portal. 1-8 from 3.

Appreciate everything the seniors did for the program, and good for terry/ellis to reach a couple more stat milestones.

Future is bright and we should be more athletic/dynamic next season. Count me as another who's intrigued on who CKG brings in from the portal.

Last edited:

Listened to Tim Newton on the radio call. You could hear the exasperation in his voice each time Vermont drove the basket and scored. Like the defense was non-existent. Very frustrating, especially after having a lead and basically blowing it.

Cold shooting spell and not-very-smart floor play reared its head again.

Some positive take-aways for me:
Happy for Ellis to get the 1000-point mark.
Glad the frosh and newcomers all got a taste of tournament play (even tho’ it was a low-level tourney)
Extra days of practice were a bonus, and allowed the team and staff to get a preview of some things for next season.

Bummed the seniors’ last outing at Mackey was a loss. I too hope Vermont wins it all - big deal for them to get this win at Mackey.

Listened to Tim Newton on the radio call. You could hear the exasperation in his voice each time Vermont drove the basket and scored. Like the defense was non-existent. Very frustrating, especially after having a lead and basically blowing it.

Cold shooting spell and not-very-smart floor play reared its head again.

Some positive take-aways for me:
Happy for Ellis to get the 1000-point mark.
Glad the frosh and newcomers all got a taste of tournament play (even tho’ it was a low-level tourney)
Extra days of practice were a bonus, and allowed the team and staff to get a preview of some things for next season.

Bummed the seniors’ last outing at Mackey was a loss. I too hope Vermont wins it all - big deal for them to get this win at Mackey.
Vermont is on par with Northwestern, this loss stinks. Nearly all the drives came off staggered screens against the frosh and Smith. Smith, Jones, nor Swanson could keep up with the screens even when switching. And our offense ground to a halt with Jones or Smith running point, which is what really cost us a very winnable game.

Watched on Big Ten +. I thought the staff had a quick trigger on Swanson last night. I may be wrong but seemed like she got the hook after almost every missed shot or a turnover. I know she got burned on one drive (and was pulled) but there was no weakside help at all. I thought Vermont was quicker than us as well. Looks like we let an Indiana gal get out of state on us in Utterback. Thought she had a nice game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT